Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Joeface wrote: »
    I have found it best since been forced to watch on SKY to limit what I watch to , FP1-FP3 mainly on Youtube F1 channel and the POST race here as well , Just Quailfing on Sky , and Just the Race ( arrive at 10past for the formation lap)

Croft is just tryin to fill the Void of nothing happening but he is not good at it , Wrong names , wrong overtake information, and still that "The DRS IS OPEN and he's gaining and still gaining but just not close enough this time " ...yes we know we could see from both the timing screen and the coverage he was never going to make it .

going to add in the Brundle no longer corrects him , I did find it funny listing to Paul Di when he was covering Brundle cause he was correcting Croft the whole race for names and order

He's belting out 'wheel to wheel' alot these days as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

He's belting out 'wheel to wheel' alot these days as well.

yeah he is but he is lying to himself , he saw it like twice this year and still believes it's happening all the time.

I don't know what Sky are seeing that we aren't . maybe there is no one better.
    maybe he is cheap and cheerfull . Race day ticket and a bed in a b&b or a cot in comentary box

I don't know even know why people asking him questions at his @crofty on twitter ....He is more than likely going to be wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Chandook is the only weak link in the Sky presentation. He was recruited, apparently, to add technical detail and analysis but never has anything insightful or original to say. Kravitz is much better in that respect even if his mannerisms can be irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Not a fan of Croft or Chandook. Both have this pally attitude that is clearly hammed up for the cameras. I like Ted, he adds value and isn't too cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭elperello

chicorytip wrote: »
    Chandook is the only weak link in the Sky presentation. He was recruited, apparently, to add technical detail and analysis but never has anything insightful or original to say. Kravitz is much better in that respect even if his mannerisms can be irritating.

I think KC is wasted on the Sky crowd.
    He fitted in better on C4.
    He is the anoraks anorak and I respect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

weisses wrote: »
    sorry i was wrong ..... it was 52 seconds behind the winner

No it all makes sense ... Ferrari was all of a sudden testing a new setup experiment ...

everyone in the paddock kinda knows what happened if you read through the various comments ..... The directive put out made it clear RB and Merc knew what ferrari was up to ..And now that major performance gain loophole is illegal ..And as a result Ferrari,s straight line dominance is gone .... I say again, make of it what you will

ok 52 seconds, but that includes the time lost in his pit stop.

How does it make sense?
    Old engine ??

Everyone in the paddock can "speculate" what they think is going on.

Again. Show me evidence of them cheating?

I am not saying they did not bend the rules, but "Innocent until proven guilty" comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭quokula

vectra wrote: »
    ok 52 seconds, but that includes the time lost in his pit stop.

How does it make sense?
    Old engine ??

Everyone in the paddock can "speculate" what they think is going on.

Again. Show me evidence of them cheating?

I am not saying they did not bend the rules, but "Innocent until proven guilty" comes to mind.

He was also instructed to stay off the kerbs because of the suspension issue, sacrificing the ideal line. And Vettel was the faster Ferrari driver this weekend, he had the pace to qualify on the front row and who knows if he'd have been fighting for the lead if his suspension wasn't damaged from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

McLaren and Petrobras have parted ways with immediate effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    McLaren and Petrobras have parted ways with immediate effect.

That’s why Rich Energy were pretending mclaren wanted their sponsorship. Presumably mclaren is on the lookout for a sponsor - but not Rich Energy.

• Advertisement

That’s why Rich Energy were pretending mclaren wanted their sponsorship. Presumably mclaren is on the lookout for a sponsor - but not Rich Energy.
    I would like the ELF brand to return to F1. There has been no French fuel brand in F1 for a while so I would like to see them back.

I would like the ELF brand to return to F1. There has been no French fuel brand in F1 for a while so I would like to see them back.

Were Total French? Jordan had them during the Peugeot years didn’t they?

OSI wrote: »
    Elf is part of Total

Never knew

Were Total French? Jordan had them during the Peugeot years didn’t they?

Yes, Total are French. Jordan used Total from 1995-1997. Jordan were known as Total Jordan Peugeot in 1995.

Isn't it interesting that as fans, we develop a preference for brands in F1? Maybe it's no more interesting than saying that advertising works. I remembers someone saying they liked cigarette advertising (think it was Camel) and wished F1 would lift the ban on cigarette branding.

Isn't it interesting that as fans, we develop a preference for brands in F1? Maybe it's no more interesting than saying that advertising works. I remembers someone saying they liked cigarette advertising (think it was Camel) and wished F1 would lift the ban on cigarette branding.

Rothmans Williams Renault Livery was the best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Do fuel brands have much future in today's hybrid era?

If energy drinks, insurance companies, banks and Hershey's sweets choose to advertise then I don't see why fuel companies wouldn't do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Of course they do, Hybrid engines still use fuel, they still need oil

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

In relation to Sky F1, does anyone mute the race start? Sick to death of “it’s lights out and away we go” at every single race.

Nearly as annoying as " and it's live" at the football :(

• Advertisement

Nearly as annoying as " and it's live" at the football :(

That's equally annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Infoanon wrote: »
    Latest update is Autosport is to continue in print form but the price is to immediately increase to £10.99 (!) , the result they say of having to change distribution as a result of selling F1 racing.

As an aside 1) Many of the F1 racing articles appear on the Autosport website and 2) A number of key staff have left Autosport

Autosport will be back to £3.99 per week from this week - there must have been some contract option that could trigger up to October 31st behind the price increase madness? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This is it wrote: »
    It amazes me that you come on to a formula 1 forum and general thread right before watching the highlights of a race that you don't want to know the results of, only to tell people not to tell you the results, almost like you're hoping someone will so you can be outraged, again.

Not at all. I just thought it would have been nice to see if anyone else was watching the highlights like me. I already had an incline that Hamilton had become a 6 time WDC unfortunately thanks to the BBC.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Autosport will be back to £3.99 per week from this week - there must have been some contract option that could trigger up to October 31st behind the price increase madness? ?

I wonder how many they have sold at the current €16 price. I will have a guess and say 0 because you would want to be utterly mad or have more money than sense to pay that much for a monthly magazine never mind a weekly one. It probaly hurt them more than leaving it at the price it was or even just raise the price bu a euro maybe but not by the crazy amount the raised it by. That was over a 152% price increase.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

If I am ever watching the highlights, I avoid looking at any forums, turn off the radio in the car, don't even peek at phone notifications just in case Google thinks i need to know the race result! It's hard to avoid...but I definitely wouldn't be looking on this thread to see if others are watching highlights too!! Nothing worse knowing the result in advance of viewing the race.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭This is it

astrofluff wrote: »
    If I am ever watching the highlights, I avoid looking at any forums, turn off the radio in the car, don't even peek at phone notifications just in case Google thinks i need to know the race result! It's hard to avoid...but I definitely wouldn't be looking on this thread to see if others are watching highlights too!! Nothing worse knowing the result in advance of viewing the race.

Yep, what you do makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I went to watch the highlights of Mexico that evening, which I had recorded on Sky F1. Started the programme at 0 minutes, and there's a shot and caption of "2019 Mexican Grand Prix Winner Lewis Hamilton" from the previous show, that was still running. Thanks Sky.

I went to watch the highlights of Mexico that evening, which I had recorded on Sky F1. Started the programme at 0 minutes, and there's a shot and caption of "2019 Mexican Grand Prix Winner Lewis Hamilton" from the previous show, that was still running. Thanks Sky.

Similar to that, we were watching Quali on replay (quali was at 1 and shown again at 4) and an ad came on for the race the next day with the starting order for the top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Agreed.

I watched the highlights on Sky a couple of times but the Channel 4 highlights is much better and the show more too. Sky cut it down the absolute bare minimum and still put 3 add breaks in it too.
    Similar to that, we were watching Quali on replay (quali was at 1 and shown again at 4) and an ad came on for the race the next day with the starting order for the top 3.

Its crap when that happens means you can not really enjoy Q3 of qualifying because you know the main results anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Inviere

McLaren have done some job since last season

Williams :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

2.5 seconds quicker! That's a phenomenal level of improvement from McLaren.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement