Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I think I'm wanosd - feel free to add!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vgf1995

Hi guys.

My little brother (10 y/o) loves Fortnite. He plays on the Switch. I want to get him something cool for Christmas. Thought about buying him a v-bucks voucher but was wondering if anyone has any better ideas? Are there packs with other digital content worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

vgf1995 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

My little brother (10 y/o) loves Fortnite. He plays on the Switch. I want to get him something cool for Christmas. Thought about buying him a v-bucks voucher but was wondering if anyone has any better ideas? Are there packs with other digital content worth getting?

Not familiar with the Switch situation, but came across this thread on hukd, Cosmetics and 1000 v-bucks for £18 on switch (cheaper price is for other platforms)

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/fortnite-deep-freeze-bundle-1599-cdkeys-3119277

As long as he doesnt already have it

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see Epic are getting sued all over the place for copied dances. Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton in the Fresh Prince) and 2 Milly have both recently filed lawsuits, and now I've heard that the kid who did the floss dance in Katy Perry's video (or more more accurately, his mother!) has jumped on the bandwagon...

I imagine they'll settle out of court and it won't even dent their massive profits from that game...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mr E wrote: »
    I see Epic are getting sued all over the place for copied dances. Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton in the Fresh Prince) and 2 Milly have both recently filed lawsuits, and now I've heard that the kid who did the floss dance in Katy Perry's video (or more more accurately, his mother!) has jumped on the bandwagon...

I imagine they'll settle out of court and it won't even dent their massive profits from that game...

To be honest, I find it extremely annoying. Its clearly a cash in. Its successful, so lets make money out of nothing. Pretty much same logic when Witcher author sued CD project red.

The floss kid should feck off. He is 5 second fame on YouTube. In a way he got his popularity, because of Fortnite. A lot of people didn't even knew about him, until they looked in to origin of that dance after seeing it on Fortnite or after seeing children do it, who sow it in Fortnite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Those cases won’t be settled or get anywhere legally. And rightfully so

The more I read about it, the more I agree with you.

That floss dance has been around since the 90s, and you can't copyright a dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

faceman wrote: »
    Those cases won’t be settled or get anywhere legally. And rightfully so

So Epic can take what they want profit from it and the original creator "rightfully doesnt get anything" :confused:

Strange logic.

I would agree if the moves were free in game and original credited but to do neither and profit from. I would hope monies are awarded to the creators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I was watching a youtube channel and they showed that the backpack kids dance was actually done well before the chap was probably even born. And then theres also a video of carlton boasting that he stole the dance hes known for, they wont get ****.

news coverage at the start of the video below:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

chrislad wrote: »
    I think I'm wanosd - feel free to add!

Added you there Chris

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Took the plunge and dived into Save The World. I’m totally lost even after the tutorial!

faceman wrote: »
    Took the plunge and dived into Save The World. I’m totally lost even after the tutorial!

Its the best part of Fortnite :)

Just stick with it as the early game doesnt really explain a lot.

Killing support for DX10 cards, ballsy move tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hi, my son plays this, and I had a couple of questions.

Firstly, it seems to need an update of say 2/3gb almost every time he opens it, is this what everybody else gets too?

Secondly, on my SSD, within Epic Games folder, the Fortnite folder has a staggering 55gb of data. Is this usual, and is there any way to reduce it? It seems crazy to me.

Within the Fortnite folder there are 3 subfolders: Engine, at 40.5mb, FortniteGame, at 20gb, and .egstore, at 38gb data.

osarusan wrote: »
    Within the Fortnite folder there are 3 subfolders: Engine, at 40.5mb, FortniteGame, at 20gb, and .egstore, at 38gb data.

That sounds odd, my egstore is only 5.96mb, my entire folder is 35GB with pretty much all contained within the FortniteGame folder.

How long have you got the game installed? might be worth uninstalling and then reinstalling.

But eh, regarding updates, the game does get a lot of updates, no way around that, they gotta push them skins :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

nix wrote: »
    That sounds odd, my egstore is only 5.96mb, my entire folder is 35GB with pretty much all contained within the FortniteGame folder.

Ok, that was mid-update. Now that the update has completed, the overall Fortnite folder is 45.8gb, and within that, .egstore is 3.65mb, Engine is 209mb, and FortniteGame is 45.6gb.
    How long have you got the game installed? might be worth uninstalling and then reinstalling.
    In terms of progress, does stuff get lost if you uninstall and reinstall? I know he spent some money on bucks of some kind.
    But eh, regarding updates, the game does get a lot of updates, no way around that, they gotta push them skins
    Is there a way to make them automatic, rather than like now, where it seems to wait until Epic Games is launched (ie, the exact time you want to play) and then starts updating?

osarusan wrote: »
    Ok, that was mid-update. Now that the update has completed, the overall Fortnite folder is 45.8gb, and within that, .egstore is 3.65mb, Engine is 209mb, and FortniteGame is 45.6gb.

In terms of progress, does stuff get lost if you uninstall and reinstall? I know he spent some money on bucks of some kind.

Is there a way to make them automatic, rather than like now, where it seems to wait until Epic Games is launched (ie, the exact time you want to play) and then starts updating?

No you can uninstall the game and reinstall without loss of any skins etc, you just may need to set game/control settings to what they were..

With regards to the updates, you could have epic turn on automatically when you boot up your computer and then set epic to update games automatically.

But eh, dont blame me if the file size ends up the same, trial and error! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭pah

Installed fortnite on my laptop as the young lad wanted to battle with me on his switch. My God what a cumbersome heavy handed sh1tfest of a setup.

I probably play with him for an hour or two once a week. Every time that I do I have to sit through half an hour of massive updates, it's a total pisstake

My HDD looks like this mid update.

fortnite-mid-install.png

Why are the updates and game files so f#ing maSSIVE??

OK - in fairness - just finished updating and the .egstore has reduced to nothing, obviously install files that are removed afterwards. Still 60GB of data in a game folder is that normal??

fortnite-after-install.png

What would happen if I only had say 20GB free space on my HDD?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you don't have enough space the updates won't install. But tbh 60gb isn't a lot these days most games would be that size or more for big open world games etc. Arma 3 on my PC is around 150gb because of mods and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

My nephew plays this game on the Xbox one and Nintendo Switch. He says the Xbox is his main account and would love to be able to access this account on his Switch. Thing is the Switch has a different fornite account on it and from reading online it is not possible to delete the Switch account and then set up the Switch so it can access the same one his Xbox does. Does any know if this is true or if there is some work around?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

No talk about the end of Season 10?
    Whatever you think about the game, the end of season events are always fantastic. :)

It'll be interesting to see how different the map will be for Season 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭klose

Raw deal for STW players, can't even access the game while this end of season event is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Raw deal for the STW players is the massively inventive events in the Battle Royale mode vs the same old "heres a thingy you put Blu-Glo in, waves appear after" gameplay. No giant Godzilla vs Mech fights, or crazy portal hopping gameplay, or were the golf carts/planes even added?

That and I think the intention to have STW be free to play has evaporated, but the itemisation is still pretty grindy. Want a water type weapon (which never dropped for me)? Grind the very few water type storms for a daily reward of the item chip used to convert a weapon...only need about 40 or 50!

doney84 wrote: »
    My nephew plays this game on the Xbox one and Nintendo Switch. He says the Xbox is his main account and would love to be able to access this account on his Switch. Thing is the Switch has a different fornite account on it and from reading online it is not possible to delete the Switch account and then set up the Switch so it can access the same one his Xbox does. Does any know if this is true or if there is some work around?

Thanks in advance

I have a PS4 and a Switch with the PS4 being where I played FN originally. I can play it on both consoles with the 1 account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mr E wrote: »
    No talk about the end of Season 10?
    Whatever you think about the game, the end of season events are always fantastic. :)

It'll be interesting to see how different the map will be for Season 11.

I kinda dropped off this in Season 9, early on, and my son did the same. Might reinstall for Season 11 if it's somewhat different - I found the game a bit stale, and ended up just grinding challenges. I'm too old to be caring about skins (which I don't) so that's half the endgame gone for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Canosonic

My daughter plays this on her desktop, she now wants to buy v bucks, where can we buy these and are they platform specific?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Canosonic wrote: »
    My daughter plays this on her desktop, she now wants to buy v bucks, where can we buy these and are they platform specific?

You buy them in game and are linked to your Fortnite account. Just be warned that Vbucks are a slippery slope, I know of many kids that have spent hundreds on skins over the seasons. If your going to buy anything, let it be the battlepass for 950 vbucks. you earn vbucks throughout the season to buy the next seasons battlepass, but also get some skins and emotes etc. along the way.

Save th World for now still offers Vbucks for missions rewards but you have to play the game can easily get 5,000 a month by playing a few minutes a day.

This will stop when the game goes Free to play, you have to pay for Save The World. Worth it for the vbucks alone if you into the skins etc:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Save th World for now still offers Vbucks for missions rewards but you have to play the game can easily get 5,000 a month by playing a few minutes a day.

This will stop when the game goes Free to play, you have to pay for Save The World. Worth it for the vbucks alone if you into the skins etc:

This is a massive exaggeration.

• Advertisement

This is a massive exaggeration.

Sorry havent played in a while

https://freethevbucks.com/extras/how-much-v-bucks-can-you-earn-in-save-the-world/

These calculations fit pretty well to what people have shared in the past:

4000-5000 V-Bucks from playing Save the World for 2 weeks.
    more than 1500 V-Bucks in the first few days.
    1900 V-Bucks in 6 days.
    3000 V-Bucks in 5 days.
    50k V-Bucks in 236 days.
    43k V-Bucks in 261 days.

Advertisement