Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Youtuber I’m subscribed to is running a free fortnite competition
    Whoever submits a YouTube clip from season 5 with the highest kills wins 13500 v bucks

https://www.swetfest.gg/video-game-competitions/win-money-playing-fortnite/9

I have no connection to this at all just thought I’d share it with some fellow gamers that might be interested, if it’s not allowed then mods dan delete

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So whats the story with this big cube then? Apparently it moves at regular intervals but I haven't managed to see that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

MadYaker wrote: »
    So whats the story with this big cube then? Apparently it moves at regular intervals but I haven't managed to see that yet.

Every hour and a half, you can see it in PLayground moving.

Its stopped moving and theres a low gravity field around it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Anyone play the new Getaway mode yet? Tried it earlier and surprisingly enough I am as shìt in this mode as I am in the rest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Sorry to interrupt the thread.
    I don't know where else to ask this.
    My son has just asked me to credit him €20 to buy something called a "Wildcard Skin"
    He says it will make his character look different on screen.
    Is that it? For €20?
    Will it help him with the game?

€20 seems extortionate.

Or am I being very old-fashioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Does nothing only change his appearance. If you do give it to him, make sure to unlink your card from the account.
    Not that he would, but many parents have been caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭klose

Choochtown wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt the thread.
    I don't know where else to ask this.
    My son has just asked me to credit him €20 to buy something called a "Wildcard Skin"
    He says it will make his character look different on screen.
    Is that it? For €20?
    Will it help him with the game?

€20 seems extortionate.

Or am I being very old-fashioned?

The game is free to play, so that's how the company make money (and an absolute ton at that) is by selling cosmetic items in the game store, they don't have any advantage for the player who buys them. I've bought a few skins as I've had a blast playing the game the last 9 months so I'm happy to support em that way.

Maybe buy a psn card instead of linking your credit card if you're going to get it for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I have bought some skins for this game, but some of the skins are very expensive for the work gone into them compared to other games. 20 euro for Wildcard Skin, nah

Battlepass is well worth 9.50 though

I bought the battle pass purely because I was sick of looking at the default skin and I've unlocked a bunch of skins now. Not a chance am I spending 20 quid on one!

• Advertisement

Also, after the original 10e for the battle pass, it pretty much pays for itself if you don't spend the v bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I agree the skins are expensive, especially the rare ones, but I can see why - The game is free, you don't have to spend anything, and you're not at a disadvantage. For my son, personally, I don't let him buy skins, and not just because of the cost - I just don't want to get him into the idea that microtransactions are a good thing always - 20 for a skin is expensive, 10 for a battle pass that comes with 2 skins, and the potential for 3-4 more is a lot more palatable, and if he's good, he can save up v-bucks earned from this. All I will pay for him is for the battle pass each season, and he's just not going to be allowed get the others, but from the point of view of a once of 20 for a skin, compare it to hours played - currently my son is at a 15e investment (battle pass and starter pack), has played over 100 hours, has about 7 skins, and it's actually given us something to play together. I just feel I have to enforce the link between real money and virtual currency, as he doesn't understand the concept from a real world point of view - "It's only 20" becomes "Only 100" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got my daughter season pass and told her, if she will want next one, she better earn those v bucks and keep playing it. Anything extra over 1k she earns, she can spent on cosmetics.
    Now she has access to Stw too.
    It worked and she is tier 72 now and she put a lot of effort in to it. She knows not too bug me for v bucks too.
    Saying that she is extremely good lately. Does dishes, vacums floors when asked, makes her own school lunches, goes and comes back from school by her self etc. So I rewarded her with 25 quid credit for v bucks. Thing is, she has still majority of it not used as she knows the value of it and waits for one skin she really wants. She knows she wont be able to ask me for more money.

I see a lot of parents just do mistake of not learning how game monetization works and just keep giving kids money for those 20eu skins, when in reality 10eu per 2 months is more then enough. Fortnite has very generous business model.

I got my daughter season pass and told her, if she will want next one, she better earn those v bucks and keep playing it. Anything extra over 1k she earns, she can spent on cosmetics.
    It worked and she is tier 72 now and she put a lot of effort in to it. She knows not too bug me for v bucks too.
    Saying that she is extremely good lately. Does dishes, vacums floors when asked, makes her own school lunches, goes and comes back from school by her self etc. So I rewarded her with 25 quid credit for v bucks. Thing is, she has still majority of it not used as she knows the value of it and waits for one skin she really wants. She knows she wont be able to ask me for more money.

I see a lot of parents just do mistake of not learning how game monetization works and just keep giving kids money for those 20eu skins, when in reality 10eu per 2 months is more then enough. Fortnite has very generous business model.

Spot on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Think I should make you take charge of my credit card and Fortnite... to control my own spending! :)

faceman wrote: »
    Think I should make you take charge of my credit card and Fortnite... to control my own spending! :)

Get STW. :)
    I have right now 9k vbucks sitting there. Thats after I bought 25 tier pass and white out skin etc.
    I even control my game currencies that I did not payed for with iron fist. :D

Get STW. :)
    I have right now 9k vbucks sitting there. Thats after I bought 25 tier pass and white out skin etc.
    I even control my game currencies that I did not payed for with iron fist. :D

Was it worth getting the tier pass? I didn't and I'm tier 100. I will play feck all now until next season. The levelling up keeps it interesting for me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You can get 4k vbucks from STW per month.

Just dont be a dick and PTFO, some of us prefer it over BR :D

Was it worth getting the tier pass? I didn't and I'm tier 100. I will play feck all now until next season. The levelling up keeps it interesting for me

For me, yes. I dont have as much time to play as I would want and it helps me to keep preasure off doing all dailies and all challanges. I unlocked tier 100 ages ago, so I play a bit less. Wont be even playing much now until next season to give myself a break so I wont burn out with the game itself.

Extra xp for challanges helps a lot too. I think I am at 290k xp right now. No way I will unlock full Ragnarock this season, but that extra xp stacks up.

I finally did Getaway challanges and omg was it a pain. At least managed to win it 3 times and got two wins for my daughter. She was delighted.

For me, yes. I dont have as much time to play as I would want and it helps me to keep preasure off doing all dailies and all challanges. I unlocked tier 100 ages ago, so I play a bit less. Wont be even playing much now until next season to give myself a break so I wont burn out with the game itself.

Extra xp for challanges helps a lot too. I think I am at 290k xp right now. No way I will unlock full Ragnarock this season, but that extra xp stacks up.

I finally did Getaway challanges and omg was it a pain. At least managed to win it 3 times and got two wins for my daughter. She was delighted.

Yup, just finished the challenges last night. Duos made it a bit easier, but did not enjoy that mode at all. I'll not touch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Getaway challenges weren't a challenge at all lol. I just played the 10 games normally and by the end of the 8th game I already completed the other 2 challenges. And like ShadowHearth, I managed to win 3 times out of the 10 games. It's definitely an easier game mode for sure.

jamescd wrote: »
    Getaway challenges weren't a challenge at all lol. I just played the 10 games normally and by the end of the 8th game I already completed the other 2 challenges. And like ShadowHearth, I managed to win 3 times out of the 10 games. It's definitely an easier game mode for sure.

Problem with this mode is, that its just a clusterfeck with a ribbon on it. If you manage to survive first 2min, then chances of winning go sky high.
    Tiny area with extreme amount of traffic.

I did not enjoyed it much as I am not that great at the game, I am too old for twitch shooting. If I can win, I usually win by being smart. In that mode, you have to have a lot of sugar in your system. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Getaway is very easy to win if you play it sneakily.

Just land away from the main traffic areas at one of the further away drops, load up on weapons and materials. Then stalk the drop site and wait for a couple of groups to battle it out, swoop in a kill the half dead team with the jewel and take it. Then if you're at one of the last drops, most times its an easy stroll to the getaway car. I kinda like the sneaky strategy as you are playing a jewel thief so being a sneak is rewarding.

Other times it can be absolute mayhem as tons of other teams try to track you down, so it's good fun if you survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Or you can just wait near the getaway van and let the other teams do the heavy lifting for you. If you see someone building up towards it, shoot them down. If they die from fall damage, great. If not, finish them off, take the jewel and make your getaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Look to the skies... pigs everywhere. :)

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/26/extended-fortnite-cross-play-beta-launches-on-ps4-starting-today/
    Following a comprehensive evaluation process, SIE has identified a path toward supporting cross-platform features for select third party content. We recognize that PS4 players have been eagerly awaiting an update, and we appreciate the community’s continued patience as we have navigated through this issue to find a solution.

The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation

Just couldn't resist getting one little dig in there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v6-00?lang=en-US

Console - Input-Based Matchmaking
    Players using a keyboard and mouse on PS4 will now be put into the PC matchmaking pool.
    Start matchmaking with your preferred input device. You will be queued with the input type you press the “Play” or "Ready" button with.
    If you start matchmaking with a keyboard and mouse, then you'll be queued in the PC matchmaking pool. However, you'll be able to switch to a controller mid-match if you'd like.
    If you start matchmaking with a controller, then you'll remain in your platforms normal queue. However, you'll be unable to switch to a keyboard and mouse mid-match.

FeelsAmazeMan

Finally managed to play after work. Was supposed to be off tomorrow, but as always, **** happens and I will need to work. :(
    Anyway, I love all new skins and they are even better then last season ones. So far every season they managed to do better and better.

And Epic must have some really evil sense of humour... One of the challanges is to find llama again. Really? Thats the only thing left and it will take ages for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hear that Epic added boob jiggle physics to the latest version. They're now saying that it wasn't intentional. Yeah right -- that game would go through such a rigorous QA process because of the size of the player base. There is no way it was accidental.

Anyway, they must have received complaints and they're patching it out. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

If cross platform is coming soon does that mean we will be able to use the same epic account on xbox and ps4?

I want to finally download the exclusive ps4 skin I have the code for haha

Advertisement