Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Today would be a great day for them to be below in it looking out at the rain.
    Hold on tight folks.we are promised 2 good weeks in summer.
    It’s over an hour to castlebar or Westport from Achill and even they are only small enough towns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

bubblypop wrote: »
    OK, so nothing to do with failed asylum seekers then?

Everything to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Today would be a great day for them to be below in it looking out at the rain.
    Hold on tight folks.we are promised 2 good weeks in summer.
    It’s over an hour to castlebar or Westport from Achill and even they are only small enough towns.

Nearer two hours given the country roads..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

MadYaker wrote: »
    Is there even a school or a doctor on achill island? Is there anything for them to do? The British Empire used to send prisoners to serve their sentences on deserted islands. This doesn’t all that different to me.

Why are people talking like Achill is Alcatraz? It’s a sizeable island joined to the mainland by a short bridge. It has a school and a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gatling wrote: »
    We've had 60,000 + through direct and Only around 1800 deportations despite the claims we have one the highest refusal rates for asylum ,

They don't leave even when given deportation orders
    Yes ,

58,000 were not granted asylum and 58,000 were not deported .

They didn't just leave as falsely claimed by others
    you made a claim here, you said 58,000 deportation orders were isuued & 58,000 people did not leave

No I didn't say 58,000 deportation orders were issued anywhere not in this thread or the several others

Apologies beastly - I'm not going to have some make claims I said something I clearly didn't and let them hide behind a mod warning

• Advertisement

It has a school and a doctor.

Correct. Singular. And what are the residents supposed to do for one when the waiting room is full of asylum seekers with conditions ranging from warts and verrucas to hepatitis etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Here is my main question I would love answered.

If an asylum seeker commits a serious offense will they be deported after sentence ?

If the answer is yes to this then I wouldn’t feel as worried.

Problem is the answer isn’t yes and that’s why we have so much fear around asylum seekers and refugees. There will always be a bad element that get through and if we don’t deal with them they will drag all the good people down.

Hal3000 wrote: »

If an asylum seeker commits a serious offense will they be deported after sentence ?

No .

There have actually been cases where the asylum process was stated before criminals could be sentenced ,
    I rather see the American system of a list of offences that carry immediate deportation,
    Rather than have a system abused with us tax payers funding endless appeals

Correct. I agree. This should go for anyone. It should go for me if I assaulted someone while living abroad. Hell, I think it actually does. My visa would definitely not have been renewed anyway. We have enough violent thugs to dodge that are natives, we don't need more.

PostWoke wrote: »
    Everything to do with them.

I asked you how you know the people at soup kitchens are failed asylum seekers, you then posted a long rant about foreigners here taking advantage etc.
    Which, very well maybe true, however you failed to point out anything about failed asylum seekers in your rant.
    In fact, I think you said you don't care what they call themselves or something along those lines.....

• Advertisement

I think you said you don't care what they call themselves or something along those lines.....

I don't.

And how are you so unsure of what I said specifically if you just read it, unless you're not really paying attention to other peoples' posts?

No .

There have actually been cases where the asylum process was stated before criminals could be sentenced ,
    I rather see the American system of a list of offences that carry immediate deportation,
    Rather than have a system abused with us tax payers funding endless appeals

Immediate deportation for certain offenses would probably quell a lot of people’s fears. Dept of Justice won’t ever do it so we will just keep going round in circles with this issue.

Immediate deportation for certain offenses would probably quell a lot of people’s fears. Dept of Justice won’t ever do it so we will just keep going round in circles with this issue.

This is one of the biggest no respect for rule of law ,

There is woman in the media arrived from Nigeria as an unaccompanied minor aged 15 several months later she's in her 20s asylum claim denied , deportation order issued now heavily pregnant and gets an injunction against the deportation order ,and the partner also Nigerian previously given leave to remain here with his wife and other kids (now living in the uk )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Correct. Singular. And what are the residents supposed to do for one when the waiting room is full of asylum seekers with conditions ranging from warts and verrucas to hepatitis etc.?

There are two GP practices, which work together with a total of four doctors, some of whom work part-time. One practice is very near the hotel. The GPs take their time with patients and don't rush anyone out the door so we are used to having to sit in the waiting room for a while for appointments. The population can double during the summer months to over 5000 people and it doesn't seem to have too much of an impact on this.

There are several small primary schools on the island and one second level school just outside the bridge. There used to be two second level schools but they amalgamated in 2011. Student number have decreased by over 50 percent since the 1980s and are continuing to decline. In the coming years I would expect that most of primary schools will merge or close.

If the answer is yes to this then I wouldn’t feel as worried.

Problem is the answer isn’t yes and that’s why we have so much fear around asylum seekers and refugees. There will always be a bad element that get through and if we don’t deal with them they will drag all the good people down.

yes, this is grounds to deport someone.
    they can even deport EU citizens after they have served a sentence here.

This is one of the biggest no respect for rule of law ,

There is woman in the media arrived from Nigeria as an unaccompanied minor aged 15 several months later she's in her 20s asylum claim denied , deportation order issued now heavily pregnant and gets an injunction against the deportation order ,and the partner also Nigerian previously given leave to remain here with his wife and other kids (now living in the uk )

This is why the whole thing is such a screw up and people have a strong hatred towards the process. Absolutely no rigid rules, no accountability and a now it has become a total free for all. Dept of Justice couldn’t run a bath.

No I didn't say 58,000 deportation orders were issued anywhere not in this thread or the several others

Apologies beastly - I'm not going to have some make claims I said something I clearly didn't and let them hide behind a mod warning

sorry, 58,000 were not granted asylum & 58,000 were not deported.
    where are these 58,000 people then?

I don't.

And how are you so unsure of what I said specifically if you just read it, unless you're not really paying attention to other peoples' posts?

well if you don't care why are you posting about asylum seekers, if it is just all random foreigners you have a problem with?
    this thread is about asylum seekers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Graces7 wrote: »

Don’t you live on an island requiring a trip on a ferry of sorts to reach the mainland? And aren’t you a non-Irish national?

Who are you to say these people, in dire need, should not be accommodated in Achill, as supposedly remote as it is?

Maybe better simply knitting them a jumper and sending it over, making sure they stay where they are, these ‘indigents’.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

where are these 58,000 people then?

In his head.

• Advertisement

yes, this is grounds to deport someone.
    they can even deport EU citizens after they have served a sentence here.

Is this being enforced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭golondrinas

13 women for 3 months.. not seeing the big victory in this case

are you being serious. It clearly said while their asylum claims were being examined. the three months would turn into 10 years. Would you take the money for a seasonal few months or all year round guaranteed income. :mad:

Graces7 wrote: »

Two hours from Achill to Westport/Castlebar?? On horseback maybe. Takes about an hour by car and that's right into the middle of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

This is why the whole thing is such a screw up and people have a strong hatred towards the process. Absolutely no rigid rules, no accountability and a now it has become a total free for all. Dept of Justice couldn’t run a bath.

Only a tiny minority of sectarian, racist, knuckle draggers “have a strong hatred” of “the process”.

Most right thinking people feel compassion and empathy for the unfortunate plight of these persecuted people. Not hatred.

plight of these persecuted people.

What persecuted people

yes, this is grounds to deport someone

Doesn't mean they do, of course.
    well if you don't care why are you posting about asylum seekers, if it is just all random foreigners you have a problem with?
    this thread is about asylum seekers

Someone explain the European Union and our obligations to it to this very clued in individual.

Doesn't mean they do, of course.

Someone explain the European Union and our obligations to it to this very clued in individual.

why dont you explain it seeing as how you are so knowledgeable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Actually, there’s more than one doctor and more than one school on Achill. I was just simplifying.

I grew up in an unusually ethnically diverse small Irish town. During my later years living there, there was a sizeable amount of asylum seekers. Whenever I went to the GP, I made an appointment and waited my turn. Getting a fast appointment was never an issue if I rightly recall. I usually got seen around the general appointment time, sometimes a bit late like any GP surgery. That’s how it works, no? I didn’t care who was ahead of me in the queue if I got seen around my general appointment time. I don’t know what you are picturing. Well, no, I kinda do. Bedlam. Well, that wasn’t my experience. The waiting room was always pretty sedate. As for what ailments people might have, unless they are licking me, I don’t see why I would care about that.

Is this being enforced ?

i don't know to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Only a tiny minority of sectarian, racist, knuckle draggers mm om“have a strong hatred” of “the process”.

Most right thinking people feel compassion and empathy for the unfortunate plight of these persecuted people. Not hatred.

I have a strong dislike for the process. I also have a strong empathy towards genuine asylum seekers fleeing persecution/war in their own lands.
    The two things are not mutually exclusive.

We should provide support for refugees, the problem we have is that there are too many "gaming " the system and there is an industry of professionals making a fortune out of the asylum process.

"sectarian, racist, knuckle draggers" shows a complete lack of understanding of the topic.

Advertisement