Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

bubblypop wrote: »
    why dont you explain it seeing as how you are so knowledgeable?

You see, child I'm babysitting today apparently, Eastern EUROPE is in EUROPE.

Ever noticed how you can live in any European country without a visa?

HMMMMMMM????

That goes for Europeans from other countries, here, too.

PostWoke wrote: »
    You see, child I'm babysitting today apparently, Eastern EUROPE is in EUROPE.

Ever noticed how you can live in any European country without a visa?

HMMMMMMM????

That goes for Europeans from other countries, here, too.

i know that EU citizens can live here?

i know that EU citizens can live here?

God love you hun you're not following at all.
    i don't know to be honest

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Why are people talking like Achill is Alcatraz? It’s a sizeable island joined to the mainland by a short bridge. It has a school and a doctor.

2 full time drs and one very part time. The 2 are women and should any f the asylum seekers be Muslim they will not see a female dr..population 2.500 and they cover offshore islands too.

Achill is very cut off in many ways.

PostWoke wrote: »
    God love you hun you're not following at all.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im not your hun, and why quote two different posts that are replying t to different posters?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    should any f the asylum seekers be Muslim they will not see a female dr.

thats not neccesarily true, it depends on what country they are from and their level of religiousness- If you know what i mean

why quote two different posts that are replying t to different posters?

They're both indicative to how much you're going to be able to offer to this conversation intellect wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The media which hunt well and truly on.

Government are going to be desperate to get accommodation sorted before they quick of an election campaign early in new year.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PostWoke and bubblypop, do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hard to see how the government could ever do that esp with the homelessness crisis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The media which hunt well and truly on.

Government are going to be desperate to get accommodation sorted before they quick of an election campaign early in new year.

Quite breathtaking! Truth is the casualty!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

blanch152 wrote: »
    Another victory for casual rural Irish racism. Can’t say I am surprised.

I live in Mayo. I know Keel Achill and many of the people there, There was, rightly, concern at a proposal to bring over 30 males to a place with few amenities for them. Expressing local worries about that is not racism

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

nuac wrote: »
    I live in Mayo. I know Keel Achill and many of the people there, There was, rightly, concern at a proposal to bring over 30 males to a place with few amenities for them. Expressing local worries about that is not racism

Unfortunately it seems be be largely ignored to label everyone as racist or far right supporter ,

The funny part everyone knows 30 now will likely be increased by multiple times accomodating more and male migrants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Gatling wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems be be largely ignored to label everyone as racist or far right supporter ,

The funny part everyone knows 30 now will likely be increased by multiple times accomodating more and male migrants

The local people were told by officials that the accommodation has been assessed as suitable to take 70 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to the spokeswoman on RTÉ radio at mo.

She’s clear and informative. She’s running rings around the RTÉ presenter who sounds dreadful.

Exactly.
    Hotels are not suitable, but yet when offered actual apartments, they are not suitable either!
    Tbh, I don't believe anyone should be living in hotels, particularly families.
    I believe there are plenty of empty houses & apartments around the country.
    And why the obsession with placing asylum seekers in cities?
    What's wrong with sl town livingmal? It was great for a lot of families in this country, why not asylum seekers?

All I can see is rubbish excuses getting thrown around, with no-one actually saying what they believe is the suitable method, except of course for the few who think they should be kept in prison type buildings!

Keel Achill is a tiny village; a long way from the nearest town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Indeed, and it fits into a wider issue which is not just a piecemeal problem of how we accommodate groups of 30 people here and there.

Its how we respond to the strategic national issue of migration. It should be uncontroversial to say that the asylum system is meant to be dealing with folk who are fleeing persecution for their religion, or similar dilemmas, and that's not what it is being used for.

Do we think that anyone has the right to live in Ireland, and the State is obliged to look after them? Or do we think the right to move here is restricted to citizens of other EU States, where we have reciprocal arrangements?

If not (i.e. if we think the right should be restricted to lawful migrants from within the EU), what is the right response to the large numbers of folk just arriving in Europe? What actions should we be taking domestically, and what arguments should our Government and MEPs make at EU level?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

G.V wrote: »
    Oughterard is only half an hour for a major city centre but people acted as if it was as remote as Tristan da Cunha

The Land of the Hundred Thousand Welcomes is dead and gone.

Irrational fear rules the roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

blanch152 wrote: »
    The Land of the Hundred Thousand Welcomes is dead and gone.

Irrational fear rules the roost.

Was it ever a reality in the first place? Or just a trite marketing ploy aimed mainly at Americans with plenty of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

No offense intended here to the fine people of Achill - i'm a regular visitor and in fact had a pint in the Achill Head in June.

Its a remote part of the ireland which is part of its charm. But housing asylum seekers in the Achill head has a touch of sweeping people (asylum seekers) under a carpet. Shoehorning asylum seekers into a remote and particularly tight knit community is not advancing integration in any way.

• Advertisement

Don’t you live on an island requiring a trip on a ferry of sorts to reach the mainland? And aren’t you a non-Irish national?

Who are you to say these people, in dire need, should not be accommodated in Achill, as supposedly remote as it is?

Maybe better simply knitting them a jumper and sending it over, making sure they stay where they are, these ‘indigents’.

Grace7 is entitled to express her POV whether or not she is an Irish citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

DId they dress the 15 men up as women for the change over?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

DId they dress the 15 men up as women for the change over?

Self identified as female ??

Transmigration rights ;)

Definitely not racism. The exact same concerns would have been raised if it was planned to house 30 men from Australia, Norway or Spain. Wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RTE Six One going with the 13 females line and have a guy advocating for the asylum seekers in studio. No counter-opinion unsurprisingly, or no-one to ask what happened to the men involved.

We're just racists against these poor victims apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Definitely not racism. The exact same concerns would have been raised if it was planned to house 30 men from Australia, Norway or Spain. Wouldn't they?
    Not a chance, they would all be white and mostly Christian and would fit in and visit the local pub.
    Importing chancers from overpopulated 3rd world countries to a small island will never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

I wish people would just admit that they don't like asylum seekers because it just sounds pathetic at this stage to be pretending to be concerned about "the lack of amenities"

How many asylum seekers are you taking in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

None. if the department were moving asylum seekers into a hotel or apartment block in my area It wouldn't bother me whatsoever, it would be absolutely none of my business.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if it was 30 men with no education from any other country that is much much poorer than ours who didnt even speak our language and believed in a religion that is a fanatical threat to women and the lgbt community then I doubt it would matter what colour they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

jmayo wrote: »
    The 38 males were changed to include 13 females to make it more palatable.
    38 males, of questionable background into a small community.

And yes they are of questionable background because no one was sure where they were from or what they may have done in the past.
    how do you know this?

Well lets see they are asylum seekers that have not been processed so nobody is sure of what or who they are.

And as the stats back us up, it looks like most asylum seekers are found to be bogus.

Do you have a problem comprehending English in that you don't understand the word QUESTIONABLE, or are you just acting smart so that your usual mates like EOTR can thank you as usual ?

Oh and the authorities were not able to tell concerned locals where these gents were from.
    Don't you know well that if they were Syrian they would shout if from the rafters so you could pass on the message. ;)
    KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The 13 women part is the main headline on RTE news at the moment

Protests still ongoing in Achill

Fooking cnts expect us to pay license fees for that lying crud.
    Why are people talking like Achill is Alcatraz? It’s a sizeable island joined to the mainland by a short bridge. It has a school and a doctor.

Ever been in Achill in winter ?

I said earlier in the other thread that even if they were 38 blokes from Dublin it was unsuitable.
    Now as alluded to by someone else the likes of the Dubs, the Aussies, the Norwegians, the Spanish would probably be more Westernised than some of these lads and probably not muslim which means they could go and get sh*tfaced to alleviate the boredom and depressing location.

Wippee do. Turn them into depressed alcoholics.
    Either way a small rural area cannot cope with that type of influx even if they were from the other side of the country.
    I wish people would just admit that they don't like asylum seekers because it just sounds pathetic at this stage to be pretending to be concerned about "the lack of amenities"

Most asylum seekers are chancers, as has been found out.

Then you have your ones with downright disregard for women with the additional odd murdering mentally disturbed lonewolf.

Now we have only had a few rapists and the one murdering lonewolf mentally disturbed one, but do we want to eventually go down the road of our European colleagues.

Why not learn from their failures rather than the typical Irish shyte of believing we are always different?

Advertisement