Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Roversfan1 wrote: »
    Why don't you go to Wicklow or Achill and let everyone there know how wrong they are instead of arguing with people on boards.ie

Says person arguing on boards.

this thread is about achill, which i believe is quite far from wicklow...

A whole galaxy of km's away Im constantly reminded here, re-read my original post as to how we got here.

Find it hard to believe ppl from hundreds of miles away from achill are acting as experts on the situation.

Wind yer necks in and maybe listen to the locals for once in your lives !

so...which side of the argument do you think this defeats, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Funny to see on 9 o clock News Black people and People of Asian origin protesting in Achill with the Locals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Im sure all of Achill, Rooskey, Wicklow etc will be there. 😂😂😂 As a previous poster stated though, one should only protest in their immediate vicinity.

So why are you worried about Achill?

• Advertisement

so...which side of the argument do you think this defeats, exactly?

A local town for local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

What exactly is the game plan meant to be here. People go to out of the way, underdeveloped rural locations, and.. what?

They get processed in relation to whether they are eligible for asylum? That will take years, right? Particularly if they get their asylum applications rejected.

So these people are supposed to stay in these locations for years. I'm assuming there aren't any serious supports in relation to language or cultural barriers, right?

Then once they are eventually processed are they supposed to stay in that community or go elsewhere? Do they get ferried around from one lot of social housing to another, because I can't see how many of them would be able to afford rent.

The story here was that the people going to Achill were only meant to be there for three months. Why, what was supposed to happen after this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Funny to see on 9 o clock News Black people and People of Asian origin protesting in Achill with the Locals there.

i dont see how, they would also be impacted by the influx of migrants and have the same concerns the others do...

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So why are you worried about Achill?

Did ye gain seperate statehood whilst I was sleeping? Im entitled to comment on national and wait for it, even global events! As an Irish citizen im embarrassed by events in Achill, Rooskey, Oughterard etc. What annoys me the most is its good ol fashioned racism masquerading as human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just listening to liveline from yest discussing this issue

My word joe Duffy really showed himself up to be the ignorant fool that he is.

The achill protestors ran rings around him.

• Advertisement

i dont see how, they would also be impacted by the influx of migrants and have the same concerns the others do...

Influx? 13 extra people in a population of 2700?

Did ye gain seperate statehood whilst I was sleeping?

islanders vs mainlanders on the court after school

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Influx? 12 extra people in a population of 2700?

it was 38 before they had to struggle to find some women. more than 1% population growth in 1 day would be quite an influx.

it was 38 before they had to struggle to find some women. more than 1% population growth in 1 day would be quite an influx.

Ill take your word for it so town planner, lucky its less than 1% now then, all gravy. For all the people here you purport to be elected officials of Achill, can you explain the group of locals who are protesting against ye? I take it their opnions are highly valued by ye as they posess the sancity of Achill citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Interesting comments from Charlie Flanagan on the radio today talking about Ireland loosing the Cead Mile Failte. Calling on people to engage in dialogue when the government themselves seem to be doing anything but that until forced.

It looks like the are loosing this battle and there seems to be a bit of wind of change in the air, id say its because of being on an election footing. Also feels like the media have lost a bit of the battle as well.

If they want to win the war on this one they are going to have to start engaging with communities and sort out the immigration system so it functions properly. As long as we have a system that is as slow as it is but can be manipulated with crap like the below then we will have problems.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-feel-very-guilty-that-im-letting-our-children-down-pakistani-family-issued-with-deportation-orders-38648466.html

Ill take your word for it so town planner, lucky its less than 1% now then, all gravy. For all the people here you purport to be elected officials of Achill, can you explain the group of locals who are protesting against ye? I take it their opnions are highly valued by ye as they posess the sancity of Achill citizenship.

most of em dont even like diaspora comin back, tbh!

most of em dont even like diaspora comin back, tbh!

I somehow dont doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

It was my understanding that the Dept Justice do not accept single men as asylum seekers and try to accommodate families first.

I personally disagree with the protests and I would call the story of 38 single men as scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Remind me wrote: »
    and I would call the story of 38 single men as scaremongering.
    Fake news.

The Reception and Integration had already confirmed its intention to place 38 males, prior to the more recent spin/turnabout due to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It was my understanding that the Dept Justice do not accept single men as asylum seekers and try to accommodate families first.

I personally disagree with the protests and I would call the story of 38 single men as scaremongering.

What the hell??? Single men are the main cohort of asy seekers.

• Advertisement

What the hell??? Single men are the main cohort of asy seekers.

No doubt about it but how many have been accommodated in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I find it hard to believe they don't accept single men, considering the local centre in our town has many single men.

It could be that they have to take in men when they cannot get families but it undermines any argument of scaremongering.

What are you on about? Your understanding is that single men are not accepted as asy seekers?!

Apologies not accepting is too far but Look at the demographics of who we accept. Very few are single males. The Dept will try relocate family units.

We are well below the numbers we committed to and if people are concerned at the moment about numbers wait until the EU agree to the joint Malta, German, Italian and Greek proposal on how people are relocated.

... if people are concerned at the moment about numbers wait until the EU agree to the joint Malta, German, Italian and Greek proposal on how people are relocated.
    Wait until the likes of Albania and the Western Balkans join the EU. Currently 99% of asy claims from Alb are rejected and deemed invalid.

Although they will become legal to move freely, the rate and influx may well be 'unnatural' from states that have 1/2 the GDP-PP of the likes of Germany. It may also become an open gateway from the MiddleEast.

Wait also until Brexit actually occurs, Ire will be the next destination of choice, the UK are also a large fiscal contribuitor that will have to be covered by others to pay for existing and new members.

Wait until the likes of Albania and the Western Balkans join the EU. Currently 99% of asy claims from Alb are rejected and deemed invalid.

Although they will become legal to move freely, the rate and influx may well be 'unnatural' from states that have 1/2 the GDP-PP of the likes of Germany. It may also become an open gateway from the MiddleEast.

Wait also until Brexit actually occurs, Ire will be the next destination of choice, the UK are also a large fiscal contribuitor that will have to be covered by others to pay for existing and new members.

Albania who the French have blocked along with North Macedonia?

You obviously take exception to Polish, Lithuanians etc... that have freely moved here since joining the EU?

Albania who the French have blocked along with North Macedonia?
    You obviously take exception to Polish, Lithuanians etc... that have freely moved here since joining the EU?

Yes, Albanian applicaiton is being delayed due to high levels of organised crime, corruption and so forth... (see the 99% rejection rate for asy for an example).

The Polish and Northern states have closer historical ties to the likes of Ire and the UK, and have natural steady movements ever since the end of WW2. The also integrate very well.

The recent EU2 have actually overtaken the decades of Irish natural movements and Irish population of our only neighbours in the UK. All in a few short years. Integration has been mixed.

Likely the next 6 (from the far edges) of Europe will have sudden and even unatural movements to get to NW Europe (bypassing brexitland), mainly thanks to the growing ease and cheap cost of travel.

Yes, Albanian applicaiton is being delayed due to high levels of organised crime, corruption and so forth... (see the 99% rejection rate for asy for an example).

The Polish and Northern states have closer historical ties to the likes of Ire and the UK, and have natural steady movements ever since the end of WW2. The also integrate very well.

The recent EU2 have actually overtaken the decades of Irish natural movements and Irish population of our only neighbours in the UK. All in a few short years. Integration has been mixed.

Likely the next 6 (from the far edges) of Europe will have sudden and even unatural movements to get to NW Europe (bypassing brexitland), mainly thanks to the growing ease and cheap cost of travel.

Albanian application is being delayed by France and a lesser extent the Dutch, the rest of EU quite frustrated that talks have not been allowed to take place, and that’s all they are, initial talks. North Macedonia have done everything asked of them, Albania have taken big steps but certainly corruption is an issue as has been the case in many countries including here.

Going way off point but why would someone from north Macedonia not integrate as well as a polish person?

On the asylum seekers who have had to be turned away from locations due to protests here do people really not see the bigger picture of what they are trying to get away from?

Yes, direct provision is not the answer and needs to be addressed but it is certainly a sight better than the alternative.

Albanian application is being delayed by France and a lesser extent the Dutch, the rest of EU quite frustrated that talks have not been allowed to take place, and that’s all they are, initial talks. North Macedonia have done everything asked of them, Albania have taken big steps but certainly corruption is an issue as has been the case in many countries including here.

Corruption is a huge factor, even when Liam Neeson makes a 'wanted' type movie, the default gang of choice tends to be Albanian.
    Going way off point but why would someone from north Macedonia not integrate as well as a polish person?

Many reasons: distance, history, culture etc. Did Poland have widespread corruption before joining or were they considered more of an (independent) Eastern German-esq, typical European type state? The Balkans, are well Balkans, perhaps likely with closer ties to Turkey, Ukr even Russ than 'Europe'.

Going way off point, but what is the ideal size of the EU: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 states? I.e. Can it ever be too large?

On the asylum seekers who have had to be turned away from locations due to protests here do people really not see the bigger picture of what they are trying to get away from?
    The bigger picture suggests many are economic migrants that take the places of genuine cases that should be helped, hence the high rejection rates.

The last minuite change from 40 men to 13 women (perhaps mainly for PR) only deepens the mistrust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »
    They might not be protesting Irish people moving to Dublin for work, but the amount of bellyaching over culchies is second to none.

Who told you that?
    Have you been to any Dublin communities lately?

I'm surrounded by people from all over Ireland including Galway making their lives in Dublin. They're welcomed with open arms and we're happy to have you.

Irish families from outside Dublin massively influence Dublin and alway have from the birth of the city. They help to make the city what it is. You should see my local GAA club, the amount of accents from far North, South, West and East of the Island and further afield is heart warming, no parochial bull, everyone is welcome and accepted no matter where you're from.

My kids GAA mentor is a Galway man. Loves the city and is happy to share his skills with the kids and did so with kids that ended up playing on the senior Dublin football team!

Our local hotel is now a direct provision centre for the last few years and the only mutterings are about how the guests aren't allowed to work in the community.

• Advertisement

Corruption is a huge factor, even when Liam Neeson makes a 'wanted' type movie, the default gang of choice tends to be Albanian.

Many reasons: distance, history, culture etc. Did Poland have widespread corruption before joining or were they considered more of an (independent) Eastern German-esq, typical European type state? The Balkans, are well Balkans, perhaps likely with closer ties to Turkey, Ukr even Russ than 'Europe'.

Going way off point, but what is the ideal size of the EU: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 states? I.e. Can it ever be too large?

The bigger picture suggests many are economic migrants that take the places of genuine cases that should be helped, hence the high rejection rates.

The last minuite change from 40 men to 13 women (perhaps mainly for PR) only deepens the mistrust.

You’re bringing Liam Neeson films into it?!! Like the stereotypical Irish drunk? Or stupid American?

How far somewhere is away should make no difference or not matter a jot.

Is there definitive proof it was to be 38 men?

Poland had plenty of corruption, look at the current state of the Czech Republic.

Advertisement