Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The 13 women part is the main headline on RTE news at the moment

Protests still ongoing in Achill

but that poster who was 'at the meeting' and is a big fan of saoirse mchugh said that nobody on the island had any issue with this at all...

do you mean to tell me that that was false. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    RTE Six One going with the 13 females line and have a guy advocating for the asylum seekers in studio. No counter-opinion unsurprisingly, or no-one to ask what happened to the men involved.

We're just racists against these poor victims apparently.

Has there ever been a counter opinion on rte? Not big into facts and figures either, just a bit of fluff that pulls at the heartstrings!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

but that poster who was 'at the meeting' and is a big fan of saoirse mchugh said that nobody on the island had any issue with this at all...

do you mean to tell me that that was false. :pac:

Well according to this article the protesters a "peaceful silent protest, from 90 percent of the village's population."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1101/1088005-stanton-achill-refugees/
    According to C
    harlie Flanagan "he believed there was a small group of people "whipping up anti-immigrant sentiment", which he said was not the view of the Irish people.
    He said: "Unfortunately there is an insidious alt-right engagement here.

"It is small, it is vociferous and it is acting very unfairly by whipping up anti-immigrant sentiment that is fundamentally unfair and not representative of the welcome that the Irish people are noted for.

"I'm afraid that that is at stake now when we see people protesting holding placards about inhumanities that really don't exist."

The story now seems to be focusing on 13 women as opposed to the larger group which apparently were meant to be going in first

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

G.V wrote: »
    I wish people would just admit that they don't like asylum seekers

Ali is that you again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

I wish people would just admit that they don't like asylum seekers because it just sounds pathetic at this stage to be pretending to be concerned about "the lack of amenities"

The locals did appear not to want to have this put on them...You are fully correct. It looks like outside forces generally move in to portray the whole lack of amenities thing which RTE then reports.

If the genuine opinion of locals was broadcast it would probably be better.

I really don't see an issue here.

You can't really expect not to attract people to come to Ireland when we have such a generous welfare state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

if it was 30 men with no education from any other country that is much much poorer than ours who didnt even speak our language and believed in a religion that is a fanatical threat to women and the lgbt community then I doubt it would matter what colour they were.

Thats nothing but pure racism Eric, u should be ashamed!

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Well according to this article the protesters a "peaceful silent protest, from 90 percent of the village's population."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1101/1088005-stanton-achill-refugees/
    According to C
    harlie Flanagan "he believed there was a small group of people "whipping up anti-immigrant sentiment", which he said was not the view of the Irish people.
    He said: "Unfortunately there is an insidious alt-right engagement here.

"It is small, it is vociferous and it is acting very unfairly by whipping up anti-immigrant sentiment that is fundamentally unfair and not representative of the welcome that the Irish people are noted for.

"I'm afraid that that is at stake now when we see people protesting holding placards about inhumanities that really don't exist."

The story now seems to be focusing on 13 women as opposed to the larger group which apparently were meant to be going in first

so an actual peaceful protest with 90% of the village out was actually a far right sleeper cell concentrated on the island lying dormant in wait to harass these poor 13 women who were 38 men yesterday but lets not let that get in the way of RTE.

jmayo wrote: »
    I said earlier in the other thread that even if they were 38 blokes from Dublin it was unsuitable.

Good point. Now, I'm not racist, but I'd take 50 men from those IS camps in Syria before I'd take 30 Jackeens into the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

I wish people would just admit that they don't like asylum seekers because it just sounds pathetic at this stage to be pretending to be concerned about "the lack of amenities"
    There's a need for a wider discussion.

But its also pathetic to pretend its about 'liking' asylum seekers. I set down where I think discussion needs to start a few posts back
    Balf wrote: »
    Indeed, and it fits into a wider issue which is not just a piecemeal problem of how we accommodate groups of 30 people here and there.

Its how we respond to the strategic national issue of migration. It should be uncontroversial to say that the asylum system is meant to be dealing with folk who are fleeing persecution for their religion, or similar dilemmas, and that's not what it is being used for.

Do we think that anyone has the right to live in Ireland, and the State is obliged to look after them? Or do we think the right to move here is restricted to citizens of other EU States, where we have reciprocal arrangements?

If not (i.e. if we think the right should be restricted to lawful migrants from within the EU), what is the right response to the large numbers of folk just arriving in Europe? What actions should we be taking domestically, and what arguments should our Government and MEPs make at EU level?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Good point. Now, I'm not racist, but I'd take 50 men from those IS camps in Syria before I'd take 30 Jackeens into the village.

Seriously, if you announced you were suddenly moving 40 unemployed Dublin men to my own rural home town for social housing you can be absolutely guaranteed the locals would throw a **** fit.

• Advertisement

Once you hear the racist stuff thrown out the debate is lost. They don't worry about that nonsense in Japan and Korea.

The government lies about this all the time and RTE never has an opposing point of view and never report anything negative about all this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

nuac wrote: »
    Keel Achill is a tiny village; a long way from the nearest town

The full time population of Achill is somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000 residents. Between Keel & Dooagh which are virtually contiguous, there must be a few hundred at least. It's not exactly a deserted place, like people here make out. There'd be parts of the west that have much smaller populations.

Last time I was there I saw shops, pubs, playgrounds, schools both primary & secondary, library, hotels, restaurants, post office, medical centres, soccer and gaelic pitches etc. Can't recall if there's a Garda station, presumably in the Sound.

It's as well served and better than many parts of rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

enricoh wrote: »
    Thats nothing but pure racism Eric, u should be ashamed!

I know you think you’re being ironic, but you’re unironically very correct, it is a racist and sectarian post, like most others, including your own posts, on this thread.

At last have the sack to admit you post racist, bigoted claptrap. You’d get much more respect.

i saw posts and comments from many locals and natives - some openly racist, some with 'legitimate concerns' and some taking the angle of 'house our own first/they tik ar jawbs'

many of the same commenters are people who i wouldnt want living in my neighbourhood, but nobody ever asked me about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The full time population of Achill is somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000 residents. Between Keel & Dooagh which are virtually contiguous, there must be a few hundred at least. It's not exactly a deserted place, like people here make out. There'd be parts of the west that have much smaller populations.

Last time I was there I saw shops, pubs, playgrounds, schools both primary & secondary, library, hotels, restaurants, post office, medical centres, soccer and gaelic pitches etc. Can't recall if there's a Garda station, presumably in the Sound.

It's as well served and better than many parts of rural Ireland.

There’s one pub and one shop. The secondary school is on the mainland and the primary school is tiny and doesn’t have space. There’s a GAA club. There’s nowhere for these people to get jobs. Where are they supposed to worship? Presumably some of them are Muslim. You don’t have these peoples best interests at heart, leaving them on achill for the winter is cruel.

I still think they should put these people in Galway. The direct provision centre near me has some space and there are other empty buildings that would be suitable. The schools and hospitals can handle it. Theres a mosque in westside and there are charities that will work with them to teach them English and help them find jobs. It makes way more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Roversfan1 wrote: »
    Once you hear the racist stuff thrown out the debate is lost. They don't worry about that nonsense in Japan and Korea.

The government lies about this all the time and RTE never has an opposing point of view and never report anything negative about all this stuff.

Can you explain to me in what way is refusal to allow brown skinned people from “overpopulated third world countries” (as one ‘non-racist’ poster helpfully put it) live in your locality not racist?

What is it if it’s not racist? Concern for their welfare?

This thread is stuffed full of ignorant, racist bile, spewed by the usual crew who infest every similar thread with the same racist angle.

Just because someone says you’re a racist doesn’t mean it’s not true.

MadYaker wrote: »
    There’s one pub and one shop. The secondary school is on the mainland and the primary school is tiny and doesn’t have space. There’s a GAA club. There’s nowhere for these people to get jobs. Where are they supposed to worship? Presumably some of them are Muslim. You don’t have these peoples best interests at heart, leaving them on achill for the winter is cruel.

I still think they should put these people in Galway. The direct provision centre near me has some space and there are other empty buildings that would be suitable. The schools and hospitals can handle it. Theres a mosque in westside and there are charities that will work with them to teach them English and help them find jobs. It makes way more sense.

are you talking about dooagh, keel or the whole island?

because frankly i dont believe you have the faintest idea about what amenities are on achill from reading that post

edit: cruel! jesus should we send in a rescue meeting for the good white catholics before the snow hits should we?

honest ta chrisshhhhhtt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

are you talking about dooagh, keel or the whole island?

because frankly i dont believe you have the faintest idea about what amenities are on achill from reading that post

Enlighten us so, do you think it’s a perfectly suitable place?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Enlighten us so, do you think it’s a perfectly suitable place?

tbh id like you to answer the question

what part of achill (or is it the island entire) do you describe above?

because without clarifying that i dont think you should be holding forth on the topic, quite frankly- certainly not as if you knew anything about achill or living there

Can you explain to me in what way is refusal to allow brown skinned people from “overpopulated third world countries” (as one ‘non-racist’ poster helpfully put it) live in your locality not racist?

What is it if it’s not racist? Concern for their welfare?

This thread is stuffed full of ignorant, racist bile, spewed by the usual crew who infest every similar thread with the same racist angle.

Just because someone says you’re a racist doesn’t mean it’s not true.

Dude, my wife is a "brown skinned person" so opps on your racist pointing there.

Putting your own family first doesn't mean you think your family is better than other families or you hate other families.

Get off your high horse with your name calling and stick to the points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Excellent point made by migrant rights activist Lucky Khambule on the Six-One News this evening, if opposition locals are apparently so passionate about asylum seekers living conditions then where have they been the last 20 years since the direct provision system began in Ireland? He has also never once been approached by any of these so called moral crusaders, privately or at protests, regarding how to improve the rights and standards of asylum seekers anywhere.

My own observation also, why dont locals ever campaign against the many more Irish people being forced to live in hotels all over the country?

Excellent point made by migrant rights activist Lucky Khambule on the Six-One News this evening, if opposition locals are apparently so passionate about asylum seekers living conditions then where have they been the last 20 years since the direct provision system began in Ireland? He has also never once been approached by any of these so called moral crusaders, privately or at protests, regarding how to improve the rights and standards of asylum seekers anywhere.

My own observation also, why dont locals ever campaign against the many more Irish people being forced to live in hotels all over the country?

"people arent allowed protest about problems in their home town because they dont protest about things hundreds of kilometers away"

got it....

"people arent allowed protest about problems in their home town because they dont protest about things hundreds of kilometers away"

got it....

As already stated, there are undoubtedly more Irish people living in hotel/b and b's/temporary accomodation in Wicklow town and not a dickie bird from locals till asylum seekers were due in their precious hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Find it hard to believe ppl from hundreds of miles away from achill are acting as experts on the situation.

Wind yer necks in and maybe listen to the locals for once in your lives !

As already stated, there are undoubtedly more Irish people living in hotel/b and b's/temporary accomodation in Wicklow town and not a dickie bird from locals till asylum seekers were due in their precious hotel.

Why don't you go to Wicklow or Achill and let everyone there know how wrong they are instead of arguing with people on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Anyone who wants to put a bunch of people out on Achill for the winter is mad. As a previous poster said sent them to Galway or another large population center where they will have access to all they need. Sending them to Achill in the middle of winter is a cruel and unusual punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Roversfan1 wrote: »
    Dude, my wife is a "brown skinned person".

Why bother making this stuff up ,

Come on very recently registered not buying the act

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Regular marches in Connell St re Housing Crisis. One next Thursday if ye fancy going.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Regular marches in Connell St re Housing Crisis. One next Thursday if ye fancy going.

Im sure all of Achill, Rooskey, Wicklow etc will be there. 😂😂😂 As a previous poster stated though, one should only protest in their immediate vicinity.

• Advertisement

this thread is about achill, which i believe is quite far from wicklow...

Advertisement