Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

Geuze wrote: »
    Christ, we are some soft country.

Surely the fact that these things were investigated & brought to light prove that we are not a soft country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

bubblypop wrote: »
    Surely the fact that these things were investigated & brought to light prove that we are not a soft country?

What were the repercussions?? We are a soft touch.

Sure isn't there a Chinese lad who overstayed his student visa for ten years taking the NDLS to court because they won't give him his license as he has nothing to prove he's allowed to be here. How did that make it to court and why is he still here?? Why wasn't he arrested by immigration straight away.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/chinese-man-living-here-for-18-years-challenges-driving-licences-policy-885848.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The Achill situation is taking on new aspects.

Demos, and it transpires that the officials concerned had made no visit to the island.

They are trying to back down; saying they are now sending women, families.. See the Mayo News online for full reports

There have been more demos, including at the bridge to the island.

First people, all women, due tomorrow now.

A different photo of the 20 room hotel shows it is right on the ocean side.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Graces7 wrote: »

Demos, and it transpires that the officials concerned had made no visit to the island.

They are trying to back down; saying they are now sending women, families.. See the Mayo News online for full reports

Hopefully people get behind Achill and say sorry but no ,

The only way around this is the government needs holding centers for asylum seekers you get to plead your case on a fast track system get denied then removed from the centre and taken directly to a flight home

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gatling wrote: »
    Hopefully people get behind Achill and say sorry but no ,

The only way around this is the government needs holding centers for asylum seekers you get to plead your case on a fast track system get denied then removed from the centre and taken directly to a flight home

The TD /Minister Ring came in on it too; same word that Achill are happy to welcome families to house to really integrate. but not this method.

The numbers at the demos are impressive. Photos on Mayo News online and Mayo Advertiser

They have stressed that this is not a DP facility situation but emergency temporary accommodation.

As the Achill folk say, the island does not have a cinema, sports centre, or leisure centre and the dept have not informed schools, or the local GPs .

They are hoping that by changing the first group to women, they will get a foot in the door?

No idea of the situation etc of these people so not judging. If integration is done properly and the real need is there.

The hotel changed hands fairly recently.

• Advertisement

The TD /Minister Ring came in on it too; same word that Achill are happy to welcome families to house to really integrate. but not this method.

As the Achill folk say, the island does not have a cinema, sports centre, or leisure centre

and yet the locals live there...... good enough for them, why not asylum seekers?
    why is everyone so worried about the asylum seekers having cinemas, leisure facilities, transport?

Im sure locals will tell you Achill is a great place to live, so why would it not be a great place for these people to live?

and what method is the correct method?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Must have had to wait a while to find 20 women, considering its 85% men coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Watch Ringer.
    He knows what side his bread is buttered and is wily old campaigner.
    The numbers at the demos are impressive. Photos on Mayo News online and Mayo Advertiser

Funny don't think that has gone national, but I suppose the Dublin media will be down to lecture the local "racists" soon enough. :rolleyes:
    They have stressed that this is not a DP facility situation but emergency temporary accommodation.

As the Achill folk say, the island does not have a cinema, sports centre, or leisure centre and the dept have not informed schools, or the local GPs .

They are hoping that by changing the first group to women, they will get a foot in the door?

Yeah the 38 blokes didn't sound so appetising so suddenly they found a bunch of women.
    Next thing you know the word Syrian will start appearing.
    No idea of the situation etc of these people so not judging. If integration is done properly and the real need is there.

The hotel changed hands fairly recently.

You can't just dump 38 people in Achill.
    Even if they were from Dublin it still wouldn't work out.

As you said above there is nothing there for them, contrary to the bullcr** that the vested interests around here come out with.

Funny you mention how the hotel changed hands.
    New owner obviously doesn't believe in having a harmonious relationship with the locals.
    Just suck at the taxpayer funded asylum industry teat.
    and yet the locals live there...... good enough for them, why not asylum seekers?
    why is everyone so worried about the asylum seekers having cinemas, leisure facilities, transport?

Im sure locals will tell you Achill is a great place to live, so why would it not be a great place for these people to live?

Yeah it's so freaking great that there has been massive Emigration from Achill down through the years.

Do you actually believe the shyte you post ?

EDIT: fecking e and i

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah it's so freaking great that there has been massive immigration from Achill down through the years.

Do you actually believe the shyte you post ?

oh, are you worried the asylum seekers will have to emigrate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AloneInTheDark

Have you every had people who got in as asylum seekers live near or next to you?
    The dogs on the streets know many of these people see the value of life, women and children's rights very differently. I've seen it often enough women treated like lumps of meat, we know what groups control what part of town or who runs the brothels, drugs etc.

• Advertisement

Have you every had people who got in as asylum seekers live near or next to you?
    The dogs on the streets know many of these people see the value of life, women and children's rights very differently. I've seen it often enough women treated like lumps of meat, we know what groups control what part of town or who runs the brothels, drugs etc.

Yep I have.
    I also had a best friend work in the last dp centre in Ballinamore.
    There were no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AloneInTheDark

Yep I have.
    There were no issues.
    Doubt they will try much in the DP centre that would risk deportation.

Yep I have.
    There were no issues.

Why do people stoop to this my friend ,my daddy , my psychic dog told me .
    There fore it's somekind of varified fact

What?
    I have said many times in this thread, this is my hometown.
    I have family & friends living here. I'm not sure why it would be amazing that I have a friend that worked in this centre?

What?
    I have said many times in this thread,

Anyone can make an antidotal claim but as i said anyone including the psysic dog can be used as some claim of varified fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I know right the horror; there are some people who dont villify, other and stereotype asylum seekers/refugees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know right the horror

Psychic dogs people will believe anything these days .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Achill posts made since today's announcement moved to dedicated thread

Please keep discussion of Achill to that thread now

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are many failures in the asylum system. Too many fraudulent claims are entertained, too many appeals are allowed, and too many do-gooders get involved on the side of the illegal asylum seekers.

However, no matter these wrongs (and they are serious wrongs), the casual racism inherent in Ballinamore, Oughterard, Rooskey and Achill should not be tolerated. It is a source of shame for decent Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are many failures in the asylum system. Too many fraudulent claims are entertained, too many appeals are allowed, and too many do-gooders get involved on the side of the illegal asylum seekers.

However, no matter these wrongs (and they are serious wrongs), the casual racism inherent in Ballinamore, Oughterard, Rooskey and Achill should not be tolerated. It is a source of shame for decent Irish people.

Have you thought another issue is with the individuals looking for racism everywhere ?
    - for example, if we where to survey ppl of various nationalities, to see how many would be really offended by questions like "where are you from, what is your nationality" (and I took these from a list of examples of racial microaggressions) - have you an idea what results we might get, even on this forum ?
    So instead of looking for racism everywhere, I prefer to see ppl not wanting to put up with their elected representatives / public servants wanting to take them as fools; or not agreeing to be told what they must think on these matters...

But more important, unlike you, I believe if the system is so messed up as is, that it needs to be fixed before doing more damage. We should not wait longer for the current system corruption to spread. The engineer side of me would takes over the human side: reason being there are limited resources on this earth, not everybody would get what they want, so what is available must be used wisely.
    Yeah, we'd expect there would be a multitude of migration waves encouraged by UN type of policies ... we know the future of Europe is grim.
    But still, we need to stop and fix issues now - they need to stop and listen to any of their citizens concerns. And really, as government, invest in an AI if you're not able to share limited resources in a way that doesn't upset the locals - the Swiss seem to be using it on refugees integration/employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

And on UN, well - climate apartheid seems to be terminology used in this weeks report // report says it would push 120 million to poverty by 2030. <<the world's poorest people will be forced to "choose between starvation and migration," the report warned.>>

But guess these poor ppl won't afford illegal passage to safer lands, right - so who are WE to decide to give sanctuary only for the ones that can afford to come to Europe while bribing human traffickers ?

shouldn't WE be focusing in "saving" as many ppl possible within a budget, while hosting them in cheaper locations ? - and give everyone else who is worthy, skilled or talented their working visas anywhere they can make a living for themselves ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭chris525

Antares35 wrote: »
    Typical Irish village mentality. Get over yourself OP. You're only entitled to your own patch of grass and outside that you've no right to dictate who can or cannot live beside you. God forbid the back*rse of Ireland might diversify a bit!

Anti-Irish racism

• Registered Users Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What?
    I have said many times in this thread, this is my hometown.
    I have family & friends living here. I'm not sure why it would be amazing that I have a friend that worked in this centre?

I just love how anecdotal evidence is seen as legitimate for some, but not others.
    How many times have you rubbished others' post when they reference something they claim to know personally ?

I just love how anecdotal evidence is seen as legitimate for some, but not others.
    How many times have you rubbished others' post when they reference something they claim to know personally ?

nope, maybe you could quote them out for me?

Same posters different claims ,my mate ,me da ,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The woman on the bus

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

https://youtu.be/0HtvH34CmZY

How's the Greta obsession coming along

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

A friend of a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

To a certain degree on discussion forums like this we have to take a leap of faith and trust that other posters are telling the truth.

That's not to say that we are gullible. If a poster is clearly engaging in deception and that can be proven it must be called out.

Likewise if posters have proven themselves unreliable in the past others will be slow to take them at their word.

However if we reach a situation where you can dismiss any posters contribution by casting doubt on their truthfulness we may as well all stop posting.

Advertisement