Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

All of this is completely untrue but sure keep making up "facts" yourselves

But you do accept she is a liar?

She should have been sent packing on the first availabe flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Its the coming crime wave people should be worried about just look to other European cities to see the issues being hushed up for fear of upsetting people. Already in Ireland we see masked youths "Creating online videos saying we do the things we do in retaliation for Irish people being racist" or recently in the South (Co. Cork Carrigaline) a female Bus Eireann driver being threatened with violence or worse rape! why? because she asked the new Irish to pay for the bus fair like everyone else. Garda arrived 20mins later arrested no one (why you may ask). Whats occurring is frightening and its only the beginning. People need to wake up and too much in the do gooders corner failing to see or accept the real impact this is having all across Europe, why would Ireland be any different. This is unhealthy and extremely dangerous for our society. At its core its profiteering and payoffs.

Why isn't there Direct Provision for the Irish homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yet another "balanced" debate on claire byrne, every panel member even the 'opposing' voices is all onboard with migrants claiming its all rainbows and having a go saying any locals opposing it have all been 'conned' by justin barrett. sick.

yet another "balanced" debate on claire byrne, every panel member even the 'opposing' voices is all onboard with migrants claiming its all rainbows and having a go saying any locals opposing it have all been 'conned' by justin barrett. sick.

Ireland is waking up to this thankfully, all those onboard are profiting from this in some way.

The crime is happening to say its not is lie.

Its the coming crime wave people should be worried about just look to other European cities to see the issues being hushed up for fear of upsetting people. Already in Ireland we see masked youths "Creating online videos saying we do the things we do in retaliation for Irish people being racist" or recently in the South (Co. Cork Carrigaline) a female Bus Eireann driver being threatened with violence or worse rape! why? because she asked the new Irish to pay for the bus fair like everyone else. Garda arrived 20mins later arrested no one (why you may ask). Whats occurring is frightening and its only the beginning. People need to wake up and too much in the do gooders corner failing to see or accept the real impact this is having all across Europe, why would Ireland be any different. This is unhealthy and extremely dangerous for our society. At its core its profiteering and payoffs.

Why isn't there Direct Provision for the Irish homeless?

Stop with your crazy exaggerating nonsense

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Stop with your crazy exaggerating nonsense

Its not nonsense. Its a disturbing trend in both Dublin and Cork and soon all across Ireland.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/cork-bus-driver-threatened-rape-20789870

What's a 'disturbing trend'?
    Crime?
    Nope, sorry, no trend here, crime has a always & will always happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

A pathetic "debate", I have to agree. She should have invited that man from the right into the studio. Open debate is always the best way to address these issues and challenge extreme views. Had to laugh at some of the contributors saying that the man is question was just using this topic as a means to raise his political profile. The left are doing the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

mayonews.ie.

the good folk of achill sourced houses willing to take asylum seekers but were refused by the dept.
    So the official intention in all of this is to hold them in inadequate and inappropriate accommodation? And this will apply to all the current demos etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

Graces7 wrote: »
    mayonews.ie.

the good folk of achill sourced houses willing to take asylum seekers but were refused by the dept.
    So the official intention in all of this is to hold them in inadequate and inappropriate accommodation? And this will apply to all the current demos etc?

You have brought this up several times. It seems like a diversion.

Firstly, at what cost are the houses being made available? It wouldn't want to seem that anyone was out to profit unduly from this, would it?

As I understand it, people in direct provision get about €39 per week. How are they going to live in a house on this? Food, clothing, heating, electricity, etc.? Do you thing the asylum-hating brigade wouldn't just be waiting to make another issue of it if people were to be given an increased payment to reflect these costs?
    What "integration" is going to take place if people are going to be scattered in one off houses around the island, particularly if it is short term? Is this appropriate until some determination is made about there status?
    What actual problem have the "good folk" with people staying in an hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

1641 wrote: »
    As I understand it, people in direct provision get about €39 per week. How are they going to live in a house on this? Food, clothing, heating, electricity, etc.? Do you thing the asylum-hating brigade wouldn't just be waiting to make another issue of it if people were to be given an increased payment to reflect these costs?

including for info what they get from other EU countries

494563.JPG
    Doesn't sound as bad, does it ?

Source

mvl wrote: »
    i
    Doesn't sound as bad, does it ?

Source

I didn't suggest it was too bad. I just don't think it would extend to covering all food, heat, electricity, and other costs associated with basic self sufficiency if living outside a centre in Ireland.
    And I do think cost containment in the asylum process is a factor. From that point of view, leasing property in lower demand areas with vacant spaces would seem to make a lot more sense than trying to lease in high demand areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

What "integration" is going to take place if people are going to be scattered in one off houses around the island, particularly if it is short term? Is this appropriate until some determination is made about there status?

Probably the same way they are going to live in the apartments in Ballinamore.

The cry of the "homeless crisis" brigade is that to give people a house is a lot cheaper than having them stay in hotels.... now houses in the middle of nowhere (apologies to the Achill/Ballinamore people) aren't suitable because they are more expensive than hotels.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Probably the same way they are going to live in the apartments in Ballinamore.

The cry of the "homeless crisis" brigade is that to give people a house is a lot cheaper than having them stay in hotels.... now houses in the middle of nowhere (apologies to the Achill/Ballinamore people) aren't suitable because they are more expensive than hotels.

I didn't say whether they are or are not suitable. What I am am saying is that cost has to be a factor in the Asylum process. I guess that congregating people, providing for food,heat needs, etc. needs communally is cheaper than dispersed self-catering housing. But I have no big issue with one way or another.

What I am saying is that the issue of houses v communal setting is being used as a ruse. Would you say that the opposition is based on houses/centre or is it really opposition to asylum seekers in my locality, full stop.

What about yourself? Is the model of accomodation the big issue for you or the principle of asylum processing?

No I haven;t/ I have always simply referred to current new reports. Achill folk stated clearly that they were happy to accept and integrate asylum seekers into houses not a rundown hotel..

This report I posted is new

And could well affect and reflect policy in other proposed centres

Also it would be a good idea if you checked ALL the reports on mayonews.ie?

The report by the welcome committee stated clearly that the cost of 3 rented houses was much less than the cost of the hotel;

Also they reported that the hotel had FINALLY been visited by the Dept and declared unsuitable for asylum seekers,

Please read the reports..

Everything you ask is answered already. Very simply and definitely.

Although your attitude is so.... adamantly cynical .

The issue raises other concerns re Dept policy re asylum seekers in Ireland.

Oh and you might like to look at the size of Achill. No house is really isolated.

And the welcome committee folk have all that in hand. There is no asylum hating brigade in Achill

Up to you! Horse to water time; drink or not!

Archbishop Neary also waded in by the way. see mayonews.ie
    You have brought this up several times. It seems like a diversion.

Firstly, at what cost are the houses being made available? It wouldn't want to seem that anyone was out to profit unduly from this, would it?

What I am saying is that the issue of houses v communal setting is being used as a ruse. Would you say that the opposition is based on houses/centre or is it really opposition to asylum seekers in my locality, full stop.

No it is not. Period. No ruse.

Thankfully there is now an opposing side to the anti asylum seekers in Ballinamore.
    The people won't be intimidated any longer by the loudest shouting few.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The people won't be intimidated any longer by .

By the government dumping dp on towns and villages across the country with zero consultation with the public and not a few who are cheering "we want more "

Graces7 wrote: »
    No I haven;t/ I have always simply referred to current new reports. Achill folk stated clearly that they were happy to accept and integrate asylum seekers into houses not a rundown hotel..

This report I posted is new

And could well affect and reflect policy in other proposed centres

Also it would be a good idea if you checked ALL the reports on mayonews.ie?

The report by the welcome committee stated clearly that the cost of 3 rented houses was much less than the cost of the hotel;

Also they reported that the hotel had FINALLY been visited by the Dept and declared unsuitable for asylum seekers,

Please read the reports..

Everything you ask is answered already. Very simply and definitely.

Although your attitude is so.... adamantly cynical .

The issue raises other concerns re Dept policy re asylum seekers in Ireland.

Oh and you might like to look at the size of Achill. No house is really isolated.

And the welcome committee folk have all that in hand. There is no asylum hating brigade in Achill

Up to you! Horse to water time; drink or not!

Archbishop Neary also waded in by the way. see mayonews.ie

Sorry - I didn't realise I was supposed to read all of the Mayo News before commenting on your post. I have had a look.

These people are "asylum seekers". Some will most likely be granted refugee status, some will not. Statistically, the majority are unlikely to qualify as refugees. Rather the majority are likely to be economic migrants. We are under no obligation to keep economic migrants. They should be returned. We must enforce this if we are not to be seen as an "easy target", which will increase the numbers. But they all have to be processed first to determine which is which (this takes too long currently, but this is a different issue to addess).

When people are granted refugee status they should be given as much support as possible to integrate. The houses in the community in Achill might be very welcome for this. But until the status of people is determined direct provision is the more suitable model. And accessing unused or underused buildings seems very appropriate for this.

The councillor speaks about providing two or three houses "for families". Fine for when refugee status is granted to "a family. But it is not a response to the issue of accomodating a diverse range of people, some refugees and some not, some single and, probably, few complete "families" (which may only come together through unification after refugee status has been granted).

So, in my opinion the "offer" from the Councillor is not a genuine response to the asylum seeker issue and is more for PR purposes. Sorry if this seems "cynical" to you. The same applies to opponents in other locations who are hiding behind the "no to inhumane direct provision" mantra. But I have no doubt that there are other people with different opinions in all of these communities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So much for Varadkar seeing the truth - as usual, the guy has flip-flopped when the wind changed :rolleyes:
    Racists are trying to exploit communities by spreading fear about the arrival of migrants, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said.

We're all racists folks! Leo has spoken.
    In a hard-hitting speech at a conference hosted by the Immigrant Council of Ireland today, Mr Varadkar said he understands why some towns feel their identity is threatened when plans are instigated to rehouse migrants.

Or just playing to the audience? Hard to know with that lad as he has no apparent conviction of his own.
    But he argued: "It's never said but I think it is worth saying there are no protests in communities that already have accommodation centres.

"The fear of the new evaporates, when people meet the reality, particularly the very people who are that reality."

Mr Varadkar said the housing crisis and decline in rural Ireland are not caused by migration and people should not try to claim that they are.

"Migration is a good thing for our diversity our society. There are many countries in the world that people want to leave. Isn't it a great thing that we live in a country that people want to come to."

Sure Leo... but when we have a massive housing crisis, health crisis and yes rural depopulation, filling up hotels/houses with migrants who in many cases will only add further stresses on those resources is a bad idea!

Oh but wait.. I see now what he's at:
    Mr Varadkar said his party, Fine Gael, now has five councillors who come from migrant background.

He suggested the parties should be financially incentivised to get more migrant candidates onto the ballot paper, as already happens with women.

Tis all about the votes, demographics and quotas... oh and more cash for The Party of course! FG are in full-on electioneering mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he's a spineless clown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So much for Varadkar seeing the truth ...quotas... oh and more cash for The Party of course! FG are in full-on electioneering mode!
    He suggested the parties should be financially incentivised to get more migrant candidates onto the ballot paper, as already happens with women.

Interesting. What is the origin of cash given in return for putting a particular 'desired' profile on ballot papers? Is it from beyond the state? Or are taxpayers' funds used?

I've given no.1 to both women and non-Irish on past ballot papers. But only ever because they were the best person for the job.
    This is a little different.

Mods can we merge with the Achill thread it's the same discussion across two near identical threads

Gatling wrote: »
    Mods can we merge with the Achill thread it's the same discussion across two near identical threads

It's really not.
    Dp centre in achill is the usual hotel building.
    Ballinamore however is actually apartments for housing families. Which is what people say they want when they complain about the DP centres!

It's funny actually in Ballinamore, they have now backtracked somewhat, they believe putting all families into an apartment complex is segregation! Now they think they should put them in other houses in the town.
    I'm guessing Gordon Hughes probably has some vacant places on his books..........

It's Irish begrudery, they have a problem with the local builder who built the apartments, god forbid he would make any money......

It's really not.

Yes it's actually same discussion on housing economic migrants masquerading as asylum seekers .

Irish Begrudgery lol

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes it's actually same discussion on housing economic migrants masquerading as asylum seekers .

Irish Begrudgery lol

No, it's not.
    If there is a problem with the system, which I agree there is, then that's a whole other thread.

No, it's not.

It's the same thread which you happened to bump

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

RTE doing their utmost to feed the agenda today with the syrian girl who is getting a scolarship to RCSI. Hundreds of scolarships handed out every year to students coming from all sorts of socio economic backgrounds in Ireland and not a word but sure here we have one.

One girl becoming a doctor and we're supposed to wash over all the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Even better, will probably emigrate after graduating.

Advertisement