Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gatling wrote: »
    That's exactly what there doing .

Dumping migrants on towns who neither want or care for them ,

No point putting in services for people who likely will be refused refugee status and served deportation orders

How do you know the status / background of the people who are ear marked for the apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jmayo wrote: »
    Maybe they are just picky and don't want possibly the dregs of some other country who offer nothing.
    And before the usual outrage from the usual suspects, a fair few of what has passed for asylum seekers and refugees that have come into Europe are those not fleeing oppression, but justice.

And maybe those in Leitrim want people who will offer something to the local community and not just a drain on already scare resources.

Maybe people in the West are getting sick of some fookers in the likes of Dublin (maybe even some in Wicklow) calling for their communities to become dumping grounds for God knows who, just so that they can self congratulate themselves for how good the Irish are taking in all these new arrivals to Europe.

Achill is now getting 38 asylum seekers.
    38 men to be precise.

Where are the women and children I hear someone ask ? :rolleyes:

I do not share or agree with your views; no one here has any real idea who these folk are , their reasons for seeking refuge etc.

But what is happening to Achill is of a different nature. Unrealistic, unreasonable and unfair on a small population in a remote area

Just seen the latest report in Mayo News; accusing the local people and misreading and ignoring what they have actually said. No provisions or preparations have been made before sending them. To a small remote village of under 100 folk on a small remote island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

No point putting in services for people who likely will be refused refugee status and served deportation orders

The word "want" jumps out at me in that post. What services need to be put in that town to support them? I can't think of any. Makes a mockery of the whole spiel I keep hearing about rural Ireland being left behind, due to a lack of facilities and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Boggles wrote: »
    They are not "dumping" them because they are humans and not waste.

Again these are 20-25 self contained 3-4 bedroom apartments not a converted hotel.

They are being dumped around the country, in locations where some connected one or other invested in some white elephant or other during the building boom and now sees a cash cow in the asylum industry.

The latest is a hotel in a tiny village in Achill that sees 38 guys from God knows where as a way of keeping an otherwise empty hotel ticking over during the winter.

What the fook are 38 guys going to do in a tiny village on a remote island, especially over the winter ?
    Surfing maybe, snorkeling maybe.

Even Ballinamore looks cosmopolitan in comparison.
    Sure who is asking them to do anything?

It's 20-25 self contained apartments laying idle that people who have been dealt a bad hand in life will move into.

http://www.ballinamore.ie/

According to their website, it's a vibrant village with plenty to do for people who chose to visit or live there.

Pubs and restaurants ??

These people are supposedly broke, have no income bar a few quid a week and you think pubs and restaurants are what they will be using.
    Or would you have them just looking in at the locals as some form of entertainment.

Legal service in small town speak is a local solicitor or two, not fooking suits or ally mcbeal.
    Yes they got a new school so your answer is to fill it with what ?

How many kids are going to be coming?
    Will it be the grand total of zero like in Achill. :rolleyes:

Sure we can engage in that other European folly of having blokes with big beards in the classrooms with the kids. :rolleyes:

Graces7 wrote: »
    I do not share or agree with your views; no one here has any real idea who these folk are , their reasons for seeking refuge etc.

Most are economic migrants, a lot are not from warzones at all, some are downright scum often fleeing justice (ala that famous asylum seeker from Tunisia that decided to go on a killing spree in Berlin) and the few are actually real refugees.
    Look at the number of failed applications, look at the belated admissions from European politicians to see the real facts.
    But what is happening to Achill is of a different nature. Unrealistic, unreasonable and unfair on a small population in a remote area

Just seen the latest report in Mayo News; accusing the local people and misreading and ignoring what they have actually said. No provisions or preparations have been made before sending them. To a small remote village of under 100 folk on a small remote island.

This is becoming the norm now.

Fook them wherever and then let the media, the asylum industry, the vest interests, some of whom are around here, and the dogooder virtue signaling shytes label the locals who complain as right wingers and racists.

Just finished reading about all the services the town has.
    For a town of it's size, Ballinamore offers an extraordinary range of pubs, restaurants, shops and professional services.

That quote is not hyperbole. The services are extraordinary.

So the lack of services is clear horséshít, what does that leave as an excuse so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They should cancell the centre now. Too much bad blood and to be frank I fear what will happen if this is imposed on the locality
    But you claimed earlier the car was nothing to do with the centre.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

But you claimed earlier the car was nothing to do with the centre.

I didn’t claim. I said I suspected it’s either Quinn insurance or inter sf ra turmoil. So it’s a suspicion not a claim

Just finished reading about all the services the town has.

That quote is not hyperbole. The services are extraordinary.

So the lack of services is clear hors what does that leave as an excuse so?

Yesh I mean there is Pat Joes Pub, the chiropodist at the health centre, where of course you can get an eye test for contacts, then a trip into the AIB branch, Marie Bradley's bodywork therapy, the golf club, the boat hire, John Foxes garage.
    Sure what more could anyone want.

Does any fecker here come from a small Western town, hell any rural small town in Ireland?
    Ever see the guys that never left, never got a real job ?
    They live between the dole office and the pub.
    Well being fair they spend fair amount of time in the bookies if there is a bookies.
    There is feck all to do, bar drink and maybe act the gobshyte.

And you guys think dropping in someone probably from a totally alien background and culture is going to be good for them.
    This whole thing is lunacy and just convenient for the virtue signallers and the cute hoor locals sensing an easy buck.

And you fookers claim I am the one not caring about the "humans" being dumped. :(

Granted as I said earlier Ballinamore is 100 times better than a tiny village in Achill.

Completely right Graces7

The mainstream media and elite are ignoring the ordinary ppl of this country for too long. We have made it crystal clear that we do not want such venues around the country. Up to the politicians now to do their job and earn their crust. Not try to bully and impose on the downtrodden

And you fookers claim I am the one not caring about the "humans" being dumped. :(

You dump rubbish, not humans like I have already pointed out to you.

Watch your language if you want me to reply to you again.

• Advertisement

This is it in a nutshell

The stats show that the vast majority will be refused asylum.

Those ppl should be deported ASAP without delay. No hanging about. This is the core of the issue.

If granted then yeah go mad on the integration skills course and have an exam for them to pass.

If refused and given a deportation order then actually enforce it and deport them.

Does any fecker here come from a small Western town, hell any rural small town in Ireland?

I happen to come from this small town. It's a grand place to grow up, good enough for the locals why would it not be good enough for assylum seekers?
    In particular the families they wanted to house here, a good place for kids growing up.
    and i happen to know plenty of people who stayed in the town all their lives, surprisingly enough they don't spend all their time in the bookies or pubs.

You dump rubbish, not humans like I have already pointed out to you.

Watch your language if you want me to reply to you again.

Can you guarantee that ?

Humans are dumped all the time.
    You of course may dress it up in nicer terms, but the outcome is just the same.
    Hell how would you describe what Trump did to the one time American allies, the Kurds.
    They were royally dumped in the shyte so to speak.

BTW if you want to talk about dumping rubbish, joeytheparrot is the expert on that. ;)
    bubblypop wrote: »
    I happen to come from this small town. It's a grand place to grow up, good enough for the locals why would it not be good enough for assylum seekers?
    In particular the families they wanted to house here, a good place for kids growing up.
    and i happen to know plenty of people who stayed in the town all their lives, surprisingly enough they don't spend all their time in the bookies or pubs.

You went to college I presume before you ended up working/living in Eastern Europe ?
    Yes I know plenty of people that stayed in small towns, but the ones that succeeded and had somewhat happier existences were the ones with jobs.

Also most of these had links to other people in the towns or to jobs in the towns.
    I could not imagine how it would be to be dumped into one of these towns with no work, no links to anyone within the towns.

And this goes for other countries too, not just likes of West of Ireland.

actually, now I think about it, it was only last week that Gordon Hughes himself was on Nationwide, telling Mary what a fantastic town it is....

raised by the village a few weeks ago also had 2 teenagers brought to the town, to try and 'straighten them out' ( for want of a better term)

so, yeah, a good place to live really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don’t condone it but just stop for one second and think how utterly frustrated and angry ppl are in these communities. Do u ever realise that

It still isn't right to send death threats or to burn out cars.

The culture of tolerance of violence that built up in border communities during the Troubles has clearly not faded away whether it is in relation to Quinn or to attacking Sinn Fein TDs for calling out intolerance.

You went to college I presume before you ended up working/living in Eastern Europe ?
    Yes I know plenty of people that stayed in small towns, but the ones that succeeded and had somewhat happier existences were the ones with jobs.

Also most of these had links to other people in the towns or to jobs in the towns.
    I could not imagine how it would be to be dumped into one of these towns with no work, no links to anyone within the towns.

And this goes for other countries too, not just likes of West of Ireland.

I spent 18 months living & working in the Balkans, I don't live there now.
    And why would they not get jobs eventually? they are no entitled to work after some time, so why presume they won't.

in fact, I do remember the last direct provision centre in the town, where some locals employed some of the assylum seekers, cash of course, off their books..

Thankfully I don't, given the amount of racism and bigotry present in the responses to asylum seekers.

I see No racism just reasonable concerns

Where is the racism ?

Can you guarantee that ?

I can.

That's hardly a surprise given you have stated multiple times that the TD that received death threats and had his car burnt out in his drive way should resign and apologize for reasons you haven't yet been able to articulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If refused and given a deportation order then actually enforce it and deport them.

But the same people would then in turn protesting against the deportation of failed asylum seekers.

I seem to remember when we seen the caravan of migrants walking across parts of Europe some were willing to take these migrants into their own homes ,
    On here it seems like we have a few we migrants but as long as they are dumped elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

bubblypop wrote: »

in fact, I do remember the last direct provision centre in the town, where some locals employed some of the assylum seekers, cash of course, off their books..

So what cheap labour (illegal ) at the time ,
    Is that not taking advantage of supposedly vunerable people

That's hardly a surprise given you have stated multiple times that the TD that received death threats and had his car burnt out in his drive way should resign and apologize for reasons you haven't yet been able to articulate.

I certainly can articulate it. He should represent his constituents views and not go off on mad flights of Colm Gorman approved BS in Leinster House hoping for a bit of attention.

So what cheap labour (illegal ) at the time ,
    Is that not taking advantage of supposedly vunerable people

it definately was.

I certainly can articulate it. He should represent his constituents views and not go off on mad flights of Colm Gorman approved BS in Leinster House hoping for a bit of attention.

So you think he should resign and apologize because he called out racist pond scum?

The same racist sub human scum who threatened his life and burnt out his car.

Really?

So you think he should resign and apologize because he called out racist pond scum?

The same racist sub human scum who threatened his life and burnt out his car.

Really?

Tone down the language please. No need for it. Doesn’t add anything to the debate

Lot of ppl are of the view he’s hyping it all up for personal gain. You’ve got to be wise to these guys. Ppl see through this craic these days.

Tone down the language please. No need for it. Doesn’t add anything to the debate

The language is perfectly apt, But even you must agree they are sub human racist scum, correct?
    Lot of ppl are of the view he’s hyping it all up for personal gain.

Which people?

And "hyping" what up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In other words, articulating SF party policy on the issue. Why would a representative of a party that has been supportive of immigrants for many years suddenly turn around and adopt a contrary position? If you want TDs with anti-immigration policies you need to elect people to the Dail on that platform, not sit around whinging on the Internet when the establishment parties stick to theit broadly pro-immigrant positions.

This "represent his constituents views" bit I don't get.

Like it or not (and for reasons far different to yours I don't), he was elected to the Dail by his constituents on the basis of his views and politics to represent them. He doesn't have to change his views because some unrepresentative mob wants him to change his views and decided to burn out his car to intimidate him to do so. If he truly no longer represents his constituents views, the time to find that out is at the next election when the voters will have a chance to replace him with someone else.

There are plenty of good reasons to throw a SF TD out of office in an election, this is not one of them. I would be one of the last posters on here to have sympathy for a SF TD but the mob have stepped over the line here and gone way too far. Violence is never the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Where is the racism ?

Are Albanians, South Africans and Georgians a separate race?

Advertisement