Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,337 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

awec wrote: »
    The only reason this morning was in any way interesting was that both teams were very limited in their game plan.

When England give South Africa a pasting next week it won't be so interesting to watch Pollard put up hopeless garryowens or Le Roux drop the ball into touch.

Yes, that may well happen. And that is rugby too. But SA might just have the ability to suck England into an arm wrestle like this morning and that will be fascinating in it's own way. England aren't a fully formed entity either as the 6 nations showed. They can be got at.

There isn't a perfect version of rugby, and never will be. I don't understand why people think there is or will be. It's lamenting for something that never existed - perfect rugby every game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,527 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, that may well happen. And that is rugby too. But SA might just have the ability to suck England into an arm wrestle like this morning and that will be fascinating in it's own way. England aren't a fully formed entity either as the 6 nations showed. They can be got at.

There isn't a perfect version of rugby, and never will be. I don't understand why people think there is or will be. It's lamenting for something that never existed - perfect rugby every game.

Ah I'm not looking for perfection Francie, I'm just looking to be entertained. :D

South Africa play a brand of rugby that is fairly limited and not easy on the eye.

But next week I am conflicted. England deserve to win this WC, they are the best team for sure, but I'm not sure I can cope with listening to it if they do. On the other hand, if SA win it I'll be raging, cause they're a fairly average unit and we'd beat them if we weren't playing like drains. It's easier to accept another team winning it if you know they're just a lot better than you are, but SA are not.

The only thing I'm clinging to for comfort now is the fact Wales are out. An England v Wales final and I'd have been planting roses in the front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

The final starts at nil nil. I'm not a rugby man, a lot of it goes over my head. But I get what you're saying. I wouldn't put a shilling on the final.

I wasn't entertained by today's S/F but that doesn't mean the Boks are not good enough.

Looking forward to the final however it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

good ole eddie as dislikeable as ever....

“Send my best wishes to Warren, I hope he enjoys the third-fourth place match”

stems from warren suggesting whether england played their 'final' against new zealand.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12504/11847393/england-boss-eddie-jones-hits-back-at-warren-gatland-enjoy-bronze-match

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

stems from warren suggesting whether england played their 'final' against new zealand.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12504/11847393/england-boss-eddie-jones-hits-back-at-warren-gatland-enjoy-bronze-match
    Do you really want the Boring / always say the harmless thing / snorefest Coaches ?
    Maybe they are not inspiring to their players either .

Gatland left himself open to getting some and Jones was not afraid to give him some either .

Who’s Team is in the Final and Who’s team is not ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yes, that may well happen. And that is rugby too. But SA might just have the ability to suck England into an arm wrestle like this morning and that will be fascinating in it's own way.

you must be easily fascinated - couldn't think of anything worse, like watching a poor quality 3-0 club game in the pouring rain - give me soccer or GAA over that anyday - the way Japan and Fiji played in parts is what fascinates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gatland told to sit down? You hate to see it.

awec wrote: »
    Ah I'm not looking for perfection Francie, I'm just looking to be entertained. :D

South Africa play a brand of rugby that is fairly limited and not easy on the eye.

But next week I am conflicted. England deserve to win this WC, they are the best team for sure, but I'm not sure I can cope with listening to it if they do. On the other hand, if SA win it I'll be raging, cause they're a fairly average unit and we'd beat them if we weren't playing like drains. It's easier to accept another team winning it if you know they're just a lot better than you are, but SA are not.

The only thing I'm clinging to for comfort now is the fact Wales are out. An England v Wales final and I'd have been planting roses in the front garden.

Course you'll get over it Awec, coz you'll have to.
    If England win it makes the 6 Nations the competition to watch as it will have the world champions and a semi finalist.

thebaz wrote: »
    you must be easily fascinated - couldn't think of anything worse, like watching a poor quality 3-0 club game in the pouring rain - give me soccer or GAA over that anyday - the way Japan and Fiji played in parts is what fascinates me.

There are different types of fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

razorblunt wrote: »
    Gatland told to sit down? You hate to see it.

Eddie can say some rubbish at times but Gatland was clearly trying to put some pressure on England here, fair comeback I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Who is winning the pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yesterday's semi final was far from all muscle and attrition.England most especially tried to bring width to their game.

It was an outstanding contest.

My point was that the game hasn't evolved significantly ,England played the same type of rugby against NZ that Ireland did last year .

South Africa do not play an expansive type of rugby ,its primitive and physical but effective.

These pundits were saying Ireland had not evolved ,that they had stagnated whilst other teams had worked out how to beat them.
    I don't believe that ,Irelands form has regressed significantly ,players have gotten older .
    Ireland in 2019 are a vastly inferior team to 2018 .
    If they played like they did last year they would be a match for anyone at the World Cup .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

My point was that the game hasn't evolved significantly ,England played the same type of rugby against NZ that Ireland did last year .

South Africa do not play an expansive type of rugby ,its primitive and physical but effective.

These pundits were saying Ireland had not evolved ,that they had stagnated whilst other teams had worked out how to beat them.
    I don't believe that ,Irelands form has regressed significantly ,players have gotten older .
    If they played like they did last year they would be a match for anyone at the World Cup .
    Arriving one year early for the world cup is very premature ejact.......n

• Registered Users Posts: 10,052 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

England's passing was beyond anything we've seen Ireland attempt. Their forwards looked far more fluent with the ball, and England's ability to get beyond the defensive rush is something that we've failed repeatedly to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

England's ability to keep the AB's on the back foot was something else. Don't know if it came across on the TV as I haven't watched it back, but the AB's could never get out in front of England to generate any momentum. Annoying and all as Jones is, they are a superbly coached outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The bookies have England as favorites and rightly so.

BUT.

A lot of the basis for England’s success was based on two things.
    1. Their work rate at the breakdown
    2. Their set piece.

SA will be able to compensate somewhat for what England will bring to the breakdown, NZ tend to look for recycles or offloads and England were to fast to allow that to happen. SA may not win the battle but they will know what’s coming.

Secondly the SA lineout won’t get caught out like NZ did. SA have a very good lineout and an excellent maul which they have used effectively over the competition. They will get more from the lineout than NZ did and they will put more pressure on Englands throw.

The SA scrum is stronger than NZ’s is as well. I can’t see them giving up the same amount of advantage to Eng that NZ did.

LeRoux is a big weakness for SA, his level of mistakes across the competition has been very high, England will target him all day.

NZ lost the game To England up front, and SA will put up more of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

England will obviously still be good but I wonder if they'll be able to reproduce that level of a performance. I think it's easier for teams to motivate themselves when they are playing the ABs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

MadYaker wrote: »
    England will obviously still be good but I wonder if they'll be able to reproduce that level of a performance. I think it's easier for teams to motivate themselves when they are playing the ABs.

I'm pretty sure it'll be fairly easy for teams to motivate themselves when they're playing in a world cup final, never mind the all blacks....

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Maybe its best Wales lost..
    cause the pain of losing to England in a WC final would be too much, they'd never live it down

any welsh reading this agree with me??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Bookies have England at 4 point win. So they have nothing in it and usually on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,239 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Bookies have England at 4 point win. So they have nothing in it and usually on the ball.

The all blacks were -7.

Ill just leave that with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Who always thought is was Alun WYN-JONES? When in fact it's actually Alun-Wyn JONES.

#funfactoftheday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Who always thought is was Alun WYN-JONES? When in fact it's actually Alun-Wyn JONES.

#funfactoftheday

Definitely isn't Alun WON-Jones anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,052 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Definitely isn't Alun WON-Jones anyways.

Not counting Grand Slams, 1/4 finals and Lions tours anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The all blacks were -7.

Ill just leave that with you.

I know that. Of course they're never spot on all the time. New Zealand -12 for our game. Interesting how they haven't England a little clearer favourites in my opinion. Say 7-9 points.

'I'll just leave that with you'. Says Sydthebeat.

The condescending, know it all, tone of some of the regulars on here. Is it any wonder certain sections of society love seeing the rugby side fail.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I know that. Of course they're never spot on all the time. New Zealand -12 for our game. Interesting how they haven't England a little clearer favourites in my opinion. Say 7-9 points.

'I'll just leave that with you'. Says Sydthebeat.

The condescending, know it all, tone of some of the regulars on here. Is it any wonder certain sections of society love seeing the rugby side fail.

Why are you so miserable?
    You see fault and criticism everywhere, even when there's nothing there. Your posts are extremely negative and angry.

That negativeness can't reflect well on you in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Garces gets the final. Only reason i can think of is that Owens got it 4 years ago, so the plan must have been Garces all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

SA have had an easy ride to the final - Japan and a weakened Wales.
    Meanwhile England look like taking out all three (other) former winners en route to glory. Good luck to them.

Garces gets the final. Only reason i can think of is that Owens got it 4 years ago, so the plan must have been Garces all along?

I'd say the plan Barnes, until England got there.

Garces is probably the next 'senior' ref, but he's a long way from the next best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Owens is injured?

Advertisement