Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Why are you so miserable?
    You see fault and criticism everywhere, even when there's nothing there. Your posts are extremely negative and angry.

That negativeness can't reflect well on you in the real world.

The usual rubbish, there's something wrong with you. Of course you're using a put down and well you know it.

I'm a very positive person but the rugby fora is very annoying. Because you don't go with the group think, for example criticise Schmidt, some of the regulars can't handle it. It's all so not so subtle put downs. And that's what it boils down to. Say Joe Schmidt ultimately failed, red rag to the programmed bots.

It reminds me of putting soldiers like Siegfried Sassoon in Craig Lockhart for saying The Great War was wrong, it was no longer a principled war. So the government had a problem with a decorated , brave soldier saying this. The war couldn't be wrong, it must be the individual, put him in an asylum!

Was my point about the bookies and SA v Eng negative, no, just stating it was interesting. On comes yourself, fair enough if you said well bookies were wrong Eng v NZ. But you had to get in your lecturing, self important little cut 'I'll leave that with you,'.

And this old you're so miserable, negative, angry deflection is as old as the hills. I'm perfectly happy, give respect and get it in return in the real world. Just this forum is annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 rusticalo

2/3 of the posters are fine here but 1/3 are insufferable know it alls living in a gold fish bowl and full of self importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Le roux has been a nightmare this world cup. Very poor. I would be amazed if he starts but I said the same before the semi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Were there any irish referees taking games im japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bobbyss wrote: »
    Were there any irish referees taking games im japan?

Andrew Brace was an assistant.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Naggdefy wrote: »

Was my point about the bookies and SA v Eng negative, no, just stating it was interesting. On comes yourself, fair enough if you said well bookies were wrong Eng v NZ. But you had to get in your lecturing, self important little cut 'I'll leave that with you,'.

first off, what i posted wasnt condescending, lecturing, self important or cutting.
    The fact you took it as such, says so much about you.

the phrase "ill just leave that with you" is generally used when the post is self explanatory and needs no further explanation.

as to you being miserable and negative, well, your posts speak for themselves and, in the same manner as above, need no further explanation. Its not deflection to call them out as such, as they are as plainly negative as the nose on your face. Now in case there is any further misunderstanding by you of my posts, im not saying if you are right or wrong .... im saying you are very negative in the manner in which you post, very little constructive comments if any

sydthebeat wrote: »
    first off, what i posted wasnt condescending, lecturing, self important or cutting.
    The fact you took it as such, says so much about you.

the phrase "ill just leave that with you" is generally used when the post is self explanatory and needs no further explanation.

as to you being miserable and negative, well, your posts speak for themselves and, in the same manner as above, need no further explanation. Its not deflection to call them out as such, as they are as plainly negative as the nose on your face. Now in case there is any further misunderstanding by you of my posts, im not saying if you are right or wrong .... im saying you are very negative in the manner in which you post, very little constructive comments if any

'I'll leave that with you'. No one uses that phrase at the end of posts.

My posts aren't negative. When debating against Joe Schmidt accolytes they will be realistic. What do you think they'd be. 'Hip hip hooray! We've lost two WC quarter finals by over 20 points with Joe at the helm. Way to go I'm so happy'. All my so called 'negative' posts are in the Joe Schmidt era thread. What's 'negative' about 'well done England that was a 25-30 point win' or 'the bookies have England to win by 4, interesting'?

I'm really looking forward to the Andy Farrell era. We have a lot of young talent around the provinces. I think Harry Byrne could develop really quickly. The six nations is a good tournament, but the WC is where it's at. I'm looking forward to Andy Farrell getting us to peak at the right time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Could Owen Farrell help his Dad out with some Coaching ?

blinding wrote: »
    Could Owen Farrell help his Dad out with some Coaching ?

Pity Owen wasn't a few years older and retiring and coached the backs.

Father/son coaching ticket :) I don't know but can't remember that at international level rugby?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I hope its not but I'm afraid the final might be the sort of dour attritional arm wrestle the South Africans are known for when they are the underdogs. Hopefully a few early tries will open the game up. SA can play rugby when they want, but their fear of losing in the semi final forced them into attritional play. I hope they approach the final in the right way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Pity Owen wasn't a few years older

They'd probably be in the Guinness Book of Records if he was; by my calculations Andy must have procreated the lad when he was 16/17:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They'd probably be in the Guinness Book of Records if he was; by my calculations Andy must have procreated the lad when he was 16/17:eek:

Younger again. Andy was just gone 16 when Owen was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

They played together at Saracens I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

I hope its not but I'm afraid the final might be the sort of dour attritional arm wrestle the South Africans are known for when they are the underdogs. Hopefully a few early tries will open the game up. SA can play rugby when they want, but their fear of losing in the semi final forced them into attritional play. I hope they approach the final in the right way.

Think it will exactly be this. Feel SA can match the physicality(Wales were going backwards all game)and that will slow England down and make it difficult to get it out to their backs.

SA are playing classic South African world cup rugby. Not a spectacle but its effective. Still feel England have too many tools in their box and will win by a score.

Younger again. Andy was just gone 16 when Owen was born.

Definitely, he was born in 1975. Played against us in 2007 in Croke Park.

He's impressively fit and strong for mid 40s.

It's a long time since we had a new coach that we don't really know what his style of play will be. We saw Joe with Leinster, granted he had a differing style with Ireland, we knew what Kidney was about with Munster, EOS came in to slicken Irish back play under Gatland.

Farrell is lucky to be taking the reins at the end of 2019 rather than 2018. Suppose he carries a bit of baggage re. defence coach. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Yeah_Right wrote: »

In fact Owen came on as a sub for his dad at one stage !!

Yeah_Right wrote: »

That's right. Owen was something like 16 iirc. Lot to be said for having the family young :D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

The bookies have England as favorites and rightly so.

BUT.

A lot of the basis for England’s success was based on two things.
    1. Their work rate at the breakdown
    2. Their set piece.

SA will be able to compensate somewhat for what England will bring to the breakdown, NZ tend to look for recycles or offloads and England were to fast to allow that to happen. SA may not win the battle but they will know what’s coming.

Secondly the SA lineout won’t get caught out like NZ did. SA have a very good lineout and an excellent maul which they have used effectively over the competition. They will get more from the lineout than NZ did and they will put more pressure on Englands throw.

The SA scrum is stronger than NZ’s is as well. I can’t see them giving up the same amount of advantage to Eng that NZ did.

LeRoux is a big weakness for SA, his level of mistakes across the competition has been very high, England will target him all day.

NZ lost the game To England up front, and SA will put up more of a challenge.

This will be a match up of two quite similar styles of play and players but i expect England to come out on top. They are just the most complete team i the tournament and have all the momentum not having lost a game I dont think since the 6 nations against Wales. I also expect the All Blacks to beat Wales.

Agree re. tight attritional final. I think England will tighten up a little with the big prize in sight. If they go out and play like they did in the QF and SF and win the tournament in style it will be seriously impressive.

Think they'll get one try in the game to separate them from SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Definitely isn't Alun WON-Jones anyways.

It is with a kiwi accent :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Should we get Andy Farrell to do some breeding while he is here ?

Suppose it's not that far from Carton House to the National Stud.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are we sure Chris isn't his?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Andrew Brace was an assistant.

He is a dreadful ref, completely lacking in empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

493991.png

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Got sent this
    “Little did the All Blacks know that their fate was sealed before kick-off - if there’s one lesson to be learned from Ireland’s many, many quarter-final exits, it’s that whoever knocks us out almost always gets taken out in the semis!” Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Got sent this
    “Little did the All Blacks know that their fate was sealed before kick-off - if there’s one lesson to be learned from Ireland’s many, many quarter-final exits, it’s that whoever knocks us out almost always gets taken out in the semis!” Lol

It goes further. I think every team that has knocked us out this century has lost the third place play off.

France
    France
    Wales
    Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

errlloyd wrote: »
    It goes further. I think every team that has knocked us out this century has lost the third place play off.

France
    France
    Wales
    Argentina

Well at least that ridiculous stat will be gone after Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

If you look at his family social media site the young son is a GAA fan.
    I see Farrell excising on Sandymount strand sometimes, he is still very very fit and strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The amount of whinging on the subreddit about Garces getting the final is mind boggling. Personally find him to be a very good ref.

Particularly from SH commenters, complaining about the breakdown going to be a free for all, as if the state of the breakdown under Jackson, Gardner and Peyper, for example is any better. I get that Garces is French and they don't like that but still. Bizarre.

Advertisement