Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Nonsense. This year we have a NH vs. a SH side in the final (NH sides barely showed up in 2015...except Scotland who were shafted). Yesterday was a masterclass by England. Japan lit up the tournament. Upsets in the mix. Wales v Australia, NZ v SA, some tight contests.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Wish the lads would give Brent Pope a chance to talk ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

no.8 wrote: »
    Nonsense. This year we have a NH vs. a SH side in the final (NH sides barely showed up in 2015...except Scotland who were shafted). Yesterday was a masterclass by England. Japan lit up the tournament. Upsets in the mix. Wales v Australia, NZ v SA, some tight contests.

Nonsense ?? - This year has been a poor spectacle overall - apart from England and Japan it has been totally forgettable, was really looking forward to it but have found as dissapointing as the Irish challenge.

thebaz wrote: »
    Nonsense ?? - This year has been a poor spectacle overall - apart from England and Japan it has been totally forgettable, was really looking forward to it but have found as dissapointing as the Irish challenge.

The first two weekends set the tone for what has been an entirely dismiss-able tournament, especially from an Irish perspective.

The inconsistency in the standard of officiating has eclipsed far too many results. By the time we lost to Japan I was already a bit disappointed by the World Cup and that result signalling an early exit for us put it all on a bit of a downer.

But the cancelling of fixtures has fully tainted the competition. I tuned in just before Bundi's red against Samoa and switched it off at half time. Having our squad reduced to 30 men whilst our opponents get a weekend off is more than I'm prepared to sit through.

Watched patches of our loss to NZ and haven't bothered with the tournament otherwise. Don't think I'm alone in that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I know I have zero moral high ground from which to preach, given my team was chewed up and spat out yesterday...but that was anti-rugby. What a deadly dull game. Up there with the 2007 final.

I think I might just have to support England. At least they use their backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I know I have zero moral high ground from which to preach, given my team was chewed up and spat out yesterday...but that was anti-rugby. What a deadly dull game. Up there with the 2007 final.

Whose to say using your backs isn't anti-rugby?! Sure backs are hardly rugby players at all

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I thought Wales would have won that going on 70 minutes, it would have been justice. It was the opposite of yesterday's game but who knows for next week?!
    I think I need to go on a box kick detox after that game like someone suggested earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Whose to say using your backs isn't anti-rugby?! Sure backs are hardly rugby players at all

Like the old joke/fact - what do you call the girls that hang around rugby players?
    Backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

swiwi_ wrote: »

For all the **** talking Welsh quarters do about the Irish style of play, Wales are right there with them. The difference being they have a resiliency about them that we could only dream about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

What a negative display. Artistic merit points will not be awarded. Both sides deserved to lose. From 3-0 on, South Africa behaved as if they were defending a massive lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ardillaun wrote: »
    What a negative display. Both sides deserved to lose. From 3-0 on, South Africa behaved as if they were defending a massive lead.
    Both were afraid of losing and were happy to settle for attritional battles to get penalties. Wales were as clueless behind the pack, apart from a couple of sharp kicks.

sligeach wrote: »
    South Africa should have kicked the easy penalty points at the end. I'm sure there's some people out there that lost bets as a result. Likewise, there may be some that won as a result.

Why?
    Risk coming back off the posts to Welsh hand, rusk skewing kick to Welsh hands.
    In tge lead at knock out rugby, end the gane as safely as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Jacovs

81 kicks in that game. More than 1 per minute.
    40 by SA.
    41 by Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

c5cb9d9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

thebaz wrote: »
    compared to last WC its been dreadful - last WC you had Eng/Wales ; Austraila/Scotland ; SA / Japan ; Ireland/ France - all great games , this WC has been dire - worst WC I remember

Bar the France new Zealand semi final, 1999 was the worst

2011 was rubbish bar Ireland v Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You can understand why they did it though. Pressure, they were waiting for someone to crack. Yes it was basic, but I found it fascinating. Japan showed what happens when you try to play ball against SA.

SA have some bloody fast wingers at the moment and I think we need really really fast wings too. They use their wingers as shooters and their wingers are so fast that they can still get back if the ball gets played over them.

Everything SA do it to keep the other attack narrow where it's clobbering time for their centres and forwards. It's basic but it's effective and very hard to break down.

Going to be a great final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Last weekend all the pundits on RTE were strangely pontificating that the game had evolved and Ireland had stagnated.
    Fast forward a week and we had 2 semi finals of muscle and attrition ,with hardly any rugby played.
    Evolution my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Last weekend all the pundits on RTE were strangely pontificating that the game had evolved and Ireland had stagnated.
    Fast forward a week and we had 2 semi finals of muscle and attrition ,with hardly any rugby played.
    Evolution my hole.

Yesterday's semi final was far from all muscle and attrition.England most especially tried to bring width to their game.

It was an outstanding contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Evolution my hole.

Did you sleep during the NZ England game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

You can understand why they did it though. Pressure, they were waiting for someone to crack. Yes it was basic, but I found it fascinating. Japan showed what happens when you try to play ball against SA.

SA have some bloody fast wingers at the moment and I think we need really really fast wings too. They use their wingers as shooters and their wingers are so fast that they can still get back if the ball gets played over them.

Everything SA do it to keep the other attack narrow where it's clobbering time for their centres and forwards. It's basic but it's effective and very hard to break down.

Going to be a great final.
    In fairness nobody needs really really slow wingers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

mangobob wrote: »
    Instead they lose by 3 and their reward is now to play for a runner up spot against an All Black team that is going to be spitting fire and looking for a modicum of redemption after yesterdays pummeling. If I was a welsh fan I would honestly fear for Wales in that match. I think it could get very ugly for them.

Don't know if the All Blacks will be that gone on coming 3rd. Hardly much for them to get out of bed for. My guess is that the game will be played rather than contested for much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

blinding wrote: »
    In fairness nobody needs really really slow wingers ;)

There's fast and then there's FAST!

There's fast and then there's FAST!
    And there are those that are deceptively slower than they look ;)

I am definitely not saying Keith Earls is Slow ( He isn’t )

But he deftly looks faster in defence than attack . Perhaps he is waiting for support in attack .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Bar the France new Zealand semi final, 1999 was the worst

2011 was rubbish bar Ireland v Australia

that France/NZ game was probably one of the greatest games ever , I have found this WC the worst ever - no question - and by some - its like rugby has stagnated, typified by South Africa and ther anti-rugby

This pick and go near the line ad nauseum wears thin after a while ,

And Box kicking ad nauseum is the same .

Rugby needs some tweaking of rules to make it worth watching .

What would rugby do with a Mike Gibson / Gerald Davies / Blanco these days ?

blinding wrote: »
    This pick and go near the line ad nauseum wears thin after a while ,

And Box kicking ad nauseum is the same

Really not, I love the pick and go, seeing if a defending team will bite in and sacrifice their flanks or if they stay spread and show a weakness in the centre for a punch through.

Box kicks can go anywhere, will they be regathered for a gain or defence recover? Will it be open play or a big hit on the taker.

The only kicks which are boring are the long ones which go wrong and fail to find touch but even they have the potential to open play up.

More and more the posters here make me wonder why they are watching Union when there is a perfectly "adequate" game of League to be endured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

OK, I’ll give de Klerk credit for that banana kick down the line near the end. It was brilliantly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,415 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Rugby is a many faceted game. If it was all the one thing it would be boring.
    I found this mornings game engrossing as an attrittional arm wrestle and a high stakes nail biter.
    Yesterday was a tactical masterpiece. Last week was a running, stylish over run.

That's been rugby for me for 40 years or more...long may it continue.

• Administrators Posts: 53,705 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rugby is a many faceted game. If it was all the one thing it would be boring.
    I found this mornings game engrossing as an attrittional arm wrestle and a high stakes nail biter.
    Yesterday was a tactical masterpiece. Last week was a running, stylish over run.

That's been rugby for me for 40 years or more...long may it continue.

The only reason this morning was in any way interesting was that both teams were very limited in their game plan.

When England give South Africa a pasting next week it won't be so interesting to watch Pollard put up hopeless garryowens or Le Roux drop the ball into touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

awec wrote: »
    The only reason this morning was in any way interesting was that both teams were very limited in their game plan.

When England give South Africa a pasting next week it won't be so interesting to watch Pollard put up hopeless garryowens or Le Roux drop the ball into touch.

Be shocked if England don't win by at least 2 scores in the final, they're far, far superior in tactics and execution. What a tournament it'll cap off too, beat all the RC teams in one run. Arguably the greatest feat in rugby history imo.

Advertisement