Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

At least one Irish man in the final at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

At least one Irish lad might get a winners medal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

That should be that. Think the right team won. I do believe South Africa can play better but they are just doing what they have to in knock out rugby.

I agree the right team won on that display, but I think Wales can also play better than that. It was just a nervy knock out kick and bash fest given the stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

What made that even worse for me was having to listen to Hugh Cahill & Donal Lenihan

Keep reminding yourself that Ryle Nugent is no longer there

It will most definitely help overcome any other commentators voice EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Is he giving out about celebrating a win in a semi final?? Eddie is some dope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Bookies:

England 5/8
    South Africa 8/5

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I honestly hope England hop the sh!t out of that bokke team for serving up that tripe...

And I think they will too.

England can match their power, play a game to keep the ball away from hard contact, and they have the backs to mezmerise those South African backs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Sort of tense semi I enjoyed (as a neutral) tbh. Carbon copied each other’s scores and went to the wire

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If South Africa play like that and England play to their potential then this could easily be the most one-sided final of all time.

And we should have been in it... WE SHOULD BE THE ONES GETTING PUMPED BY ENGLAND NEXT WEEKEND GOD DAMMIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Pollard is one of the most polarising out halves at a tier one team as regards ability.

Utterly solid and calmness personified kicking penalties and conversions but abysmal around the pitch either passing or kicking from hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

i really have to chuckle at all the disparaging comments, when we all know Irish fans would give their right arm, leg and everything else to play any kind of rugby, if it meant getting this far.

sadly for us we play muck rugby, but still can't progress beyond the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

If South Africa play like that and England play to their potential then this could easily be the most one-sided final of all time.

And we should have been in it... WE SHOULD BE THE ONES GETTING PUMPED BY ENGLAND NEXT WEEKEND GOD DAMMIT!

It’s true. We went out in the group stages; would have known we were never coming through that side of the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I honestly hope England hop the sh!t out of that bokke team for serving up that tripe...

England can match their power, play a game to keep the ball away from hard contact, and they have the backs to mezmerise those South African backs

Agreed. If the performances are in any way similar to this weekend, England will win by 30+.

I need a week off rugby just so I don't have to watch another bloody box kick for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »

I think it'll be similar to the NZ vs SA group game. The Saffer backline is lackluster with the exception of De Allende, and they rely heavily on Faf, the English backs should tear them apart in open space, and with the way the English pack is playing they'll create that space to get around the rush defence.

Have to say, I'm not exactly fond of the Welsh but fair fúcks to them. They were rallied with injuries and had the whole Howley mess, but they put it up to the Saffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,178 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Sort of tense semi I enjoyed (as a neutral) tbh. Carbon copied each other’s scores and went to the wire

Have to agree...found that thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not a great game by any stretch. But enthralling. Some good goal kicking from both sides.

One thing can never be leveled at Wales and that's failing to show up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

i really have to chuckle at all the disparaging comments, when we all know Irish fans would give their right arm, leg and everything else to play any kind of rugby, if it meant getting this far.

sadly for us we play muck rugby, but still can't progress beyond the quarters.

**** games are just **** games. No ulterior motive just because we're Irish ffs.

And it's far from just us saying so, people the world over think the same about today's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sligeach wrote: »
    South Africa should have kicked the easy penalty points at the end. I'm sure there's some people out there that lost bets as a result. Likewise, there may be some that won as a result.

Would have been stupid for them. What if they hit the post and the ball came back to Wales? The game was won. Going for the posts would have been insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bookies:

England 5/8
    South Africa 8/5
    I know someone who had a bet on a NZ-SA final. It was nearly Wales England. I am inclined to take the game as it comes. England would be favourites based on the two semis but ... it's another 80m!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Terrible match compared to the semi yesterday.SA are a woeful team to watch with all that pointless kicking up into the high heaven's.really hope England win.if there are too many matches like that rugby will Stay a minority sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Pollard is one of the most polarising out halves at a tier one team as regards ability.

Utterly solid and calmness personified kicking penalties and conversions but abysmal around the pitch either passing or kicking from hands.
    So....a completely typical SA outhalf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Going on form my bet on SA to win outright is a goner. But finals are finals and if England don’t get quick ball, unconsciously think it’s a matter of turning up....hope springs eternal! Looking for bets on score line!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agreed. If the performances are in any way similar to this weekend, England will win by 30+.

I need a week off rugby just so I don't have to watch another bloody box kick for a while.

I don't think it will be anywhere close to 30.... But I think England are good enough to keep them at arms length and come through about 10 - 12 points to the good.

Not too long ago the Boks were a joke and Rassie was raising Munster.
    Poached back and look at the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

That or Jantjies!
    One of the most brainless tier 1 OH

Honourable mention to Argentina’s to Sánchez

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Have to agree...found that thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable because of that.

It became engrossing from the moment Da Allende scored. The last 20 mins made up for the rest.

Still, there appears a gulf between yesterday's game and today's, but next week will be a different sort of game. SA will be able to offset England's power. But England's attacking shape is very impressive and England will be big favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,178 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

bilston wrote: »
    It became engrossing from the moment Da Allende scored. The last 20 mins made up for the rest.

Still, there appears a gulf between yesterday's game and today's, but next week will be a different sort of game. SA will be able to offset England's power. But England's attacking shape is very impressive and England will be big favourites.

SA will not win it by depending on talent, they will win it if they get their tactics right.

Not at all sure they can do that though. I thought they would run over the Welsh in the last quarter (that that was their tactic today) but they just looked brainless tbh honest.

It's England's to lose IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭Augme

Not a classic but it was impossible to turn off as well. People can moan about it not being entertaining or not being good for the game. Bollox tbh. I doubt anyone switched that game off. As for this world cup, the only game in the knockout stages that was awful was Ireland game because it was over as a contest after 20 minutes. Every other game as been a contest for a least the majority of it. That's what I want in a world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Augme wrote: »
    People can moan about it not being entertaining or not being good for the game. Bollox tbh. I doubt anyone switched that game off. As for this world cup, the only game in the knockout stages that was awful was Ireland game because it was over as a contest after 20 minutes. Every other game as been a contest for a least the majority of it. That's what I want in a world cup.

compared to last WC its been dreadful - last WC you had Eng/Wales ; Austraila/Scotland ; SA / Japan ; Ireland/ France - all great games , this WC has been dire - worst WC I remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

All the same, sport can be cruel. Notwithstanding the fact that SA probably deserved the win on balance, nonetheless if Wales had managed that last 10 mins of the game a little better the would have had every chance of winning and going through to a final against a team they have already beaten this year.

Instead they lose by 3 and their reward is now to play for a runner up spot against an All Black team that is going to be spitting fire and looking for a modicum of redemption after yesterdays pummeling. If I was a welsh fan I would honestly fear for Wales in that match. I think it could get very ugly for them.

Advertisement