Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The amount of whinging on the subreddit about Garces getting the final is mind boggling. Personally find him to be a very good ref.

Particularly from SH commenters, complaining about the breakdown going to be a free for all, as if the state of the breakdown under Jackson, Gardner and Peyper, for example is any better. I get that Garces is French and they don't like that but still. Bizarre.

Jackson, Gardner and Peyper being poor doesn't negate Garces being particularly bad at refereeing the breakdown.

Coupled with a tendancy of being very lenient on dangerous tackles then there's plenty of justification for questioning his selection.

Owens or even Poite would have been a better shout - just a pity that Barnes misses out due to England getting there, he's been very good the past 2/3 years and is probably the most deserving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Garces is the best ref in the game at the moment, possibly Wayne Barnes who obviously can't do it.

Owens is long past his best unfortunately.

Garces gets a lot of stick for making calls that people don't like but he's the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Garces is the best ref in the game at the moment, possibly Wayne Barnes who obviously can't do it.

Garces gets a lot of stick for making calls that people don't like but he's the best option.

He really isn't. His poor record for dealing with dangerous tackles alone is enough to discount him - before his non-existent policing of the gate at ruck time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

blackwhite wrote: »
    He really isn't. His poor record for dealing with dangerous tackles alone is enough to discount him - before his non-existent policing of the gate at ruck time

His poor record on dangerous tackles?

Garces has red carded two All Blacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,359 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Reinach's last one for me has everything, opportunity, risk, invention, execution and full length of the pitch.
    https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1189467756069961728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This is the Jerome Garces who made two of the four calls against Ireland in the Japan game that World Rugby came out afterwards and said were the wrong calls? If he's the best (after Barnes), we're in trouble.

I don't think he's awful (particularly based on one game), but he's certainly not the best there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This is the Jerome Garces who made two of the four calls against Ireland in the Japan game that World Rugby came out afterwards and said were the wrong calls? If he's the best (after Barnes), we're in trouble.

Well, let's look at that.

World Rugby didn't come out afterwards and say they were the wrong calls. Joe Schmidt said that World Rugby told him that they were wrong. That's not the same thing.

But even so, getting a couple of offside calls wrong is not a hanging offence. If the expectation is 100% correct all the time then we might as well stop playing matches.
    I don't think he's awful (particularly based on one game), but he's certainly not the best there is.

But who's better? Barnes is ruled out, Owens is well past his sell-by date, I like Nic Berry but he's way too inexperienced. The only other option was Poite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

blackwhite wrote: »

He had a shocker in the Samoa game against Russia. Missed 2 obvious red cards even with TMO assistance.

Was Gardner not the ref between Ireland and Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Was Gardner not the ref between Ireland and Japan

Yes but World Rugby confirmed that two offside calls by the AR were the wrong calls.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/world-rugby-confirms-mistakes-made-by-officials-in-japan-defeat-1.4036178%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Owens has had an excellent world cup, I agree that in recent years he hasn't been at his best but I am really surprised he didn't get the final can only be because he did it 4 years ago and they want to spread it out.
    I am no fan of his, but I don't think Garces has done a huge amount obviously wrong so far, he has almost ended up reffing the final by default. He gave SA 2 soft enough penalties at the end of the semi that wales were upset about.
    The one for the actual penalty that was kicked was the correct decision I think, but the one before that which allowed the boks to clear to touch was harsh. Could have gone either way and really ended up deciding the game, bok players lying all over the ball and he pinged AWJones for holding on

Barnes was having a great world cup and has been probably the most consistent ref for the last 18 months, but he had a shocker in the quarters, 2 really terrible decisions that could have turned the game. I wasn't surprised he was dropped off the back of it for the semi's

I am surprised that Paul Williams or Nic Berry didn't get a quarter final, both good young refs. there seemed to be a very conservative approach to go for the older guys once we got to knock out stages

On a side note, Skeen is TMO, get ready for lots of interruptions.....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,424 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

garces got it as hes the next "senior" ref.....
    hes gone from assistant ref in 2011, to full ref and reffing a semi final in 2015..... now he gets thes 2019 final.
    so its not an unusual appointment considering barnes cant do it.

hes also 46 so its highly likely he will step down from test match reffing very soon (hes 6 years older than barnes who is retiring after the RWC)

is he the most experienced available. yes

is he the best available?? arguable.... he has a more laissez faire style than most other refs, both around the breakdown and around the offside line. The one good thing about him is at least hes consistant in this style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

He had a shocker in the Samoa game against Russia. Missed 2 obvious red cards even with TMO assistance.

That was Poite.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Is there any other sport where there's so much talk about the referee before a game? I kinda remember in football people would be going on about Graham Poll and other refs but referees in rugby can be so variable which is strange no?! I'm not even going to talk about scrums which seems to be very open to interpretation.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    hes also 46 so its highly likely he will step down from test match reffing very soon (hes 6 years older than barnes who is retiring after the RWC)

Already confirmed he is gone after the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

endabob1 wrote: »

On a side note, Skeen is TMO, get ready for lots of interruptions.....

This is what people should be complaining about

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

steves2 wrote: »
    Is there any other sport where there's so much talk about the referee before a game? I kinda remember in football people would be going on about Graham Poll and other refs but referees in rugby can be so variable which is strange no?! I'm not even going to talk about scrums which seems to be very open to interpretation.
    how many sports are open to a refs interpretation as rugby?
    Be it tackle/ruck or anything else such as scrum. It isntbstrange in rugby as it would be so difficult for officials to be uniform in all areas on timings they penalise certain areas of the game. There needs to be interpretation

• Registered Users Posts: 38,063 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was talking to a good friend who is just back from Japan and he was saying that he got the impression that 90% of Japanese people didn't even know the World Cup was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,063 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was talking to a good friend who is just back from Japan and he was saying that he got the impression that 90% of Japanese people didn't even know the World Cup was on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm just back from Japan and wouldn't remotely agree so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Didn't 50m+ watch one of their Scotland game on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

AdamD wrote: »
    Didn't 50m+ watch one of their Scotland game on TV?

Yep 60 million watched in Japan so somebody's mate clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm just back from Japan and wouldn't remotely agree so...

Same here. Everyone I talked to was excited about the rugby even if all they could say was “rugby”. But nationally there definitely was the feeling that they were waiting for the olympics.

I reckon there was more awareness than if it had been held in the USA.

When I arrived the customs official at the airport was giving me **** for being Irish because Japan had beaten us! More notably a few days later in a Cafe in a random outskirt part of Kyoto, the owner (who had no English) felt the need to come over and tell us about the "Shrine To Rugby" that had been established across the city to make the spot where the first rugby game was played in Kyoto.

So people did know. That said, Japan is bleeding massive. Irish fans were pretty visible the 2 days either side of the quarter around Shibuya and Shinjuku, but I imagine 95% of Tokyo went through it's business unawares.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone getting up early for the 3rd place play off??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

fryup wrote: »

Jesus I wish 9am on a Friday was considered getting up early :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

England are 4/9 with the bookies.

I guess we're getting the point now where if SA win it will be considered a big shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,359 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Early?

It's 9am is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'll be working an hour and a half at that stage, but yes I'll have the game on another screen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭boetstark

swiwi_ wrote: »
    493991.png

:pac:

One of the best. Rip Joost

Advertisement