Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are most families houses and lives in a mess???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Jamsiek wrote: »
    People generally remove their shoes in these countries
    They don't need to be asked

Not true and I’ve lived in those countries longer than you so I’m in a better position to make that determination.

It wouldn’t really matter if they do it every where else in the world, the fact is that removing shoes at the door when entering a house is not the done thing for the vast majority in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What did I say in my post, and lo and behold someone pipes in with Canada. Seriously.

You don’t own the thread . We can post what we like .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You don’t own the thread . We can post what we like .

Seriously though, did you see my previous post? I said "before someone pipes in about Canada" and two posts later your man comes in with "what about Canada?"

Canada has much harsher weather conditions, vast outdoor activity. Not the done thing in the cities. Lived there for several years.

It wouldn’t really matter if they do it every where else in the world, the fact is that removing shoes at the door when entering a house is not the done thing for the vast majority in Ireland..

Or the English speaking world or continental Europe. Northern European countries maybe and Nordic countries but it's not the done thing here.

Makes me laugh how all the posters on here advocating shoes off are like "you need to respect the culture in these countries and it considered rude not to and hygiene yada yada" but it doesn't on them about respecting the culture of the country that they actually live in.

• Advertisement

In Canada people are used to shoes off so generally carry a pair of soft indoor shoes when visiting other houses
    Might be a good idea if people want shoe free homes to let people know that

In Canada people are used to shoes off so generally carry a pair of soft indoor shoes when visiting other houses

They're used to it because they have snow for 8 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Or the English speaking world or continental Europe. Northern European countries maybe and Nordic countries but it's not the done thing here.

Makes me laugh how all the posters on here advocating shoes off are like "you need to respect the culture in these countries and it considered rude not to and hygiene yada yada" but it doesn't on them about respecting the culture of the country that they actually live in.

The Nordic countries are pretty much contained in Northern Europe. I live in the Benelux region and people mostly remove their shoes here without being asked to. Lots of people on Boards live in other countries. You're moving the goalposts to suit your own indignation. Why are you so angry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's a done thing in large parts of Central Europe too. It's also done in apartments to minimize the noise for the neighbors.

I have no intention joining another shoes in/out debate but I do find it entertaining with how much authority people make blanket statements on the subject they know **** all about.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have no intention joining another shoes in/out debate but I do find it entertaining with how much authority people make blanket statements on the subject they know **** all about.

Ya, like Spain and Italy are the "main" European countries :pac:

• Advertisement

You do understand that Canada is huge and the 2 nd largest country in the world
    A blanket statement about how long it snows for makes you look foolish !
    In some parts the snow never melts and in other parts the snow might lie for a month .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Not true and I’ve lived in those countries longer than you so I’m in a better position to make that determination.

How do you know I haven’t lived there longer than you?

What did I say in my post, and lo and behold someone pipes in with Canada. Seriously.

You mentioned Canada and made the stupid assumption that Canadians only remove their shoes where there is 6m of snow.
    I pointed out that you were wrong. Seriously indeed

There you go again. I pointed out where you were wrong but looks like you didn’t read it.
    Many parts of Canada get little or no snow all year such as Vancouver where I live and people still take shoes off at the door. It’s just the done thing.
    You’re embarrassing yourself at this stage. Seriously

Yes. Some friends of mine have slippers for visitors if they want to wear them. Usually stolen from hotels, etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I just named the main European continental countries i.e. France, Spain and Italy so if you're not living in one of those countries then you're not actually in the "real" Europe and may want to rethink your last post.

Bahahaha.

'Real Europe.' LOL the mask slipped entirely there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Lol, I only saw that pearl of wisdom now. I calculated that real Europe only takes up 14% of the area the Europe is supposed to be. So 86% of Europe is actually fake Europe probably full of deplorable people wearing slippers inside.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Lol, I only saw that pearl of wisdom now. I calculated that real Europe only takes up 14% of the area the Europe is supposed to be. So 86% of Europe is actually fake Europe probably full of deplorable people wearing slippers inside.

To my embarrassment, we have indoor Crocs. Mine are even pink :o. They were on special though.

How do you know I haven’t lived there longer than you?
    You can’t make that assumption and be taken seriously.
    Looks like you’re getting defensive here.

I picked it up from your previous posts and some of the comments you mentioned on here before. I think we have actually met.

There you go again. I pointed out where you were wrong but looks like you still don't get it.
    I’ll try again. Many parts of Canada get little or no snow all year such as Vancouver where I live and people still take shoes off at the door. It’s just the done thing here.

Why are you constantly talking about Canada? Canada this, Canada that. Get over it.

• Advertisement

Canada is a wonderful country . Lovely people and great weather and facilities
    I am thinking of getting one of their shoe racks with a drip tray under it . So handy on wet or snowy days .

I picked it up from your previous posts and some of the comments you mentioned on here before. I think we have actually met.

You didn't pick up anything.
    You're guessing.
    It's embarrassing.

Why are you constantly talking about Canada? Canada this, Canada that. Get over it.

YOU are the one constantly making untrue generalizations about Canada and the "Real Europe" (wherever that is)
    Every time you make an ignorant generalization, you can expect to be corrected.

You didn't pick up anything.
    You're guessing.
    It's embarrassing.

I find toddlers who constantly seek attention by being stroppy are best ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

You seem to think that's a good thing. Others differ. When you know better, you do better.

You seem to think that's a good thing. Others differ. When you know better, you do better.

I would strongly disagree it’s “knowing better”, I think it’s stupid, awkward rule with little or no benefit enforced by people who are up their own hole.

Walking around in your socks is doing and knowing better? I fail to see the advantage.

Yes. Some friends of mine have slippers for visitors if they want to wear them. Usually stolen from hotels, etc

So now we have to bring our own slippers or wear a manky pair of hand me downs. This is going from bad to worse.

So now we have to bring our own slippers or wear a manky pair of hand me downs. This is going from bad to worse.

You don't have to. It's an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Gunnar Shrilling Saint. Let it go. Learn when to walk away.

Advertisement