Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are most families houses and lives in a mess???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

fatknacker wrote: »
    We do? Wonder why everyone here is sick all the time and queuing out the doors in the GP / hospitals. Inept health system, sure. But the amount of people coughing and spluttering in the first place might also be worth considering.

The we I referred was myself and my husband
    Strange yes but I would also consider the overuse of sterile wipes and the over clean homes a factor . Childrens immune system needed to be challenged and therefore strengthened by exposure to germs and maybe this over use of bleach and sterile wipes has a lot to contribute to the increase in viral infections

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

But the amount of people coughing and spluttering in the first place might also be worth considering.

That would be mostly from viruses, not bacteria. All the scrubbing in the world will not resolve that. The only way to avoid airborne viruses is to stay away from sick people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Hey look, I'm sure if I don't wash my hands after using the jacks each and everytime then I'm not gonna die. I'm still gonna do it though.

jackboy wrote: »
    That would be mostly from viruses, not bacteria. All the scrubbing in the world will not resolve that. The only way to avoid airborne viruses is to stay away from sick people.

If you sat on a bus to work in the morning and the train on the way home, and were told just before you got in that a junky pissed himself on that seat the night before and an oul want hockeyed up a load of phlegm on the train earlier in the day...would you just go about the rest of your evening at home in the same clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

If you sat on a bus to work in the morning and the train on the way home, and were told just before you got in that a junky pissed himself on that seat the night before and an oul want hockeyed up a load of phlegm on the train earlier in the day...would you just go about the rest of your evening at home in the same clothes?

Well most of us try not to think about things like that on public transport. You could drive yourself mad thinking like that.

The guy on the train coughing is actually far more of a threat to your health than the poor unfortunate pissing himself.

• Advertisement

You are ok then with bringing the perceived piss and phlegm etc into work then ? Or do you change when you get to work too ?

No I don't lie in my bed / couch and relax in work. Anymore.

jackboy wrote: »
    Well most of us try not to think about things like that on public transport. You could drive yourself mad thinking like that.

Or avoid it all by changing clothes / wearing slippers when getting home.

No I don't lie in my bed / couch and relax in work. Anymore.

Relax a little , all will be well even your trousers are not always sterile !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's very rare for that to happen and when it does your immune system has you covered. Life isn't worth living if your going to be overreacting to germs all the time. I usually stay in the same clothes when I get home and haven't been sick in years.

• Advertisement

is washing your hands after using toilets or public transport an over reaction too? One would imagine we wouldn't get sick from not doing so as our immune systems have us covered in that regard aswell.
    Most or many of us still do it though. Whys that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Raconteuse wrote: »
    +1. Oddball uptight behaviour and I do not know ANYONE whatsoever that demands it in the real world (unless a person has muddy footwear from sports or work obviously).

I don't either, who would demand something like that. Expect would be more correct. If people don't want to I'm not going to cause a fuss about it.
    Raconteuse wrote: »
    And nobody traipses sh1t or puke around their home or others' homes. Obviously you take off or clean your shoes if you step in same. But with regard to what's actually being referred to (getting people to take off shoes at all times - even when there's nothing on the shoe): rude. With a pretence that it's normal. It's not.

It's perfectly normal in most other countries in Europe and elsewhere like many Middle Eastern countries. The rude ones there are the ones who wouldn't take off their shoes and bring dirt into someone else's home.

If you ever went to someone's home in say Norway or Canada where it's the norm to take off your shoes would you think they are rude and abnormal to ask you to do so, or is it just here people in Ireland you reserve those feelings for?
    Lesalare wrote: »
    https://thesolemates.com/collections/heel-protectors/products/heel-protectors-single-pair-clear

Maybe buy a few of these to give to you stilleto-wearing/floor-wrecking mates.

I buy these for using when on grass, they work wonders for not damaging wooden floors too :)

None of my friends wear stilettos, nor do I. Glad to hear you wear them on the heels of your stilettos on other people's wooden floors. If indeed you do.
    ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So the people who wear shoes inside..if you do walk around without shoes on occasion, are your feet or socks not dirty on the bottom afterwards? If you wear shoes, your floors are dirty. It might not be caked on or noticable but it's there. Or do you just never not wear shoes unless you're literally in bed or something?

Yep. I notice straight away if someone has been in my house who hasn't taken off their shoes because the soles of my slippers and socks get dirty.

The idea that because you don't see any dirt on your shoes that there's none there and it's not being brought inside is delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

is washing your hands after using toilets or public transport an over reaction too? One would imagine we wouldn't get sick from not doing so as our immune systems have us covered in that regard aswell.
    Most or many of us still do it though. Whys that?
    I wash my hands a lot. And keep a bottle of sanitiser in my bag when a lot of bugs are going around. But that's because I use my hands to eat. I will never ever have to come in contact with my floors in such a way. I know of course that shoes which don't have visible dirt on them, are still covered in bacteria, but that's what mops and disinfectant are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Greentopia wrote: »
    I don't either, who would demand something like that. Expect would be more correct. If people don't want to I'm not going to cause a fuss about it.

It's perfectly normal in most other countries in Europe and elsewhere like many Middle Eastern countries. The rude ones there are the ones who wouldn't take off their shoes and bring dirt into someone else's home.

If you ever went to someone's home in say Norway or Canada where it's the norm to take off your shoes would you think they are rude and abnormal to ask you to do so, or is it just here people in Ireland you reserve those feelings for?

None of my friends wear stilettos, nor do I. Glad to hear you wear them on the heels of your stilettos on other people's wooden floors. If indeed you do.

Yep. I notice straight away if someone has been in my house who hasn't taken off their shoes because the soles of my slippers and socks get dirty.

The idea that because you don't see any dirt on your shoes that there's none there and it's not being brought inside is delusional.

Well, this is Ireland where that’s not the norm and keeping your shoes on is not rude. And are we a more sickly nation? Shoe removal happens elsewhere. It doesn’t happen here. Neither way is more correct.

As for dirt on the bottoms of my feet or socks. I’m not the most keen on dusting and dirty soles on my feet or socks are not an issue and I never insist on shoes being removed. But even if that did happen, well, as said, I don’t eat off the floor and I wash my hands an awful lot. As long as that floor dirt stays on the floor and on things that are not going near my mouth, I’m happy. The skin is quite the fantastic physical immune barrier. So who cares if the dirt is visible or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's quite insulting of people to say those who wear shoes indoors are filthy, manky, disgusting, inconsiderate yadda yadda. And dishonest. It's a pretence that they're actually dragging faeces and mud around the floors which obviously nobody in their right mind would do.

It mostly seems to come from those who have lived in cultures where it's the standard, but if they were ok with it before they moved away, then they should bear this in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do the shoes off people have pets? Are they allowed in the house?

I've never worried about germs are on the sole of my shoes, I only walk on the floor, not eat off.

It's is disgusting. Irish people are manky filthbags. It is known.

Except for my Mam. She's class.

Also small children like to play and roll around on floors. I'm not having mine eat the **** of 1,000 people and excuse my laziness in cleaning by saying "it strengthens their immunity"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's is disgusting. Irish people are manky filthbags. It is known.

Sounds like you need to hang around with better people, Irish people are generally very good at cleaning when cleaning actually needs to be done

Well, this is Ireland where that’s not the norm and keeping your shoes on is not rude. And are we a more sickly nation? Shoe removal happens elsewhere. It doesn’t happen here. Neither way is more correct.

It is if I ask politely and someone refuses to do it who wants to come in my home.

I wouldn't use the word correct, it's more a case of what is individually or culturally acceptable or not. What does correctness mean in this context and to whom? if a majority of Irish people decided to follow the European example in the morning and wanted shoes off indoors would they then be correct even if you didn't follow suit? correct is too subjective.
    As for dirt on the bottoms of my feet or socks. I’m not the most keen on dusting and dirty soles on my feet or socks are not an issue and I never insist on shoes being removed. But even if that did happen, well, as said, I don’t eat off the floor and I wash my hands an awful lot. As long as that floor dirt stays on the floor and on things that are not going near my mouth, I’m happy. The skin is quite the fantastic physical immune barrier. So who cares if the dirt is visible or not?

Fine, that's your choice. Equally I'm free to choose to say I don't agree with that and say I care if dirt is visible and wish to avoid it getting dirty in the first place by wearing indoors shoes only and asking others to do the same in my home. I don't think it's too much to ask. I'd do likewise in their homes and I have a couple of slippers for people to wear when they arrive so they don't have to walk in their bare feet or in their socks if they don't want to.

Do the shoes off people have pets? Are they allowed in the house?

Sadly not now. I did have indoor cats years ago in another country and will have again hopefully. Cats are clean animals and the only thing I had to worry about with them was fur shedding, but I see hoovering more often as a price worth paying to have them.

If they got dirty they were bathed, especially their paws.

I'm getting a dog when I'm more settled and yes it will be allowed indoors and again regularly bathed. I wouldn't have a dog sleeping outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

no chance most of the clean freaks have kids, not possible to maintain the stance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Bateman wrote: »
    no chance most of the clean freaks have kids, not possible to maintain the stance

I do and I'm not a freak just because my standards are different to yours thank you very much. I sense the people throwing around the word freak are just getting aggressive because their own living areas stress them out. Chill out, give the place a bit of a clean or employ a cleaner and stop attacking others for prioritising in their own way.

My 2 year old takes her own shoes off without being asked because it's how she's most comfortable. When I come home from work or wherever and I'm in for the evening I change into some "indoor clothes", again, for comfort. We don't wear our shoes in the house, most of our friends don't wear them in their own houses or ours but I'm not going to ask them to our expect them to take their shoes off unless they're completely rank. I suppose we are those European weirdos so it's to be expected really.

We vacuum downstairs every couple of days, that's why we got a cordless Dyson (so it's not a hassle). We have a dog so have to get rid of the hair frequently. The cleaner does a big clean once a week and in the end the kitchen is cleaned to varying degrees about twice a day. I don't think about germs too much really, we wash our hands after changing a nappy, going to the toilet, before and after preparing food and if I've been on the bus/ train I wash my hands when I get to my destination- be that at home or at work.

It’s laughable that there are people who don’t allow outdoor shoes inside yet allow animals to live inside their house. It’s like a metal block.

It’s laughable that there are people who don’t allow outdoor shoes inside yet allow animals to live inside their house. It’s like a metal block.

Are metal blocks dirty too? Never heard of my dog get referred to as a metal block :pac::pac::pac:.

She gets walked in a grassy area/ forest walking on organic materials found in nature which are not the same as filthy streets, public transport etc which could have more hazardous synthetic materials. Aside from that she weighs less than 10 kilos so would pick up far less dirt on her dainty little toes than 60 kg me or my 85 kilo boyfriend. The baby is almost twice her weight, even. She's also not allowed on the furniture and her bedding is washed/ replaced regularly. I don't bathe her too often because it's not good for her skin but she gets a good brush weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Greentopia wrote: »
    It is if I ask politely and someone refuses to do it who wants to come in my home.

I wouldn't use the word correct, it's more a case of what is individually or culturally acceptable or not. What does correctness mean in this context and to whom? if a majority of Irish people decided to follow the European example in the morning and wanted shoes off indoors would they then be correct even if you didn't follow suit? correct is too subjective.

Fine, that's your choice. Equally I'm free to choose to say I don't agree with that and say I care if dirt is visible and wish to avoid it getting dirty in the first place by wearing indoors shoes only and asking others to do the same in my home. I don't think it's too much to ask. I'd do likewise in their homes and I have a couple of slippers for people to wear when they arrive so they don't have to walk in their bare feet or in their socks if they don't want to.

But, like I said, it’s not visible. The bottoms of my feet never blacken.

If you asked me to remove my shoes in your home, I would do it without hesitation. I suspect most people would. But we’d probably feel uncomfortable.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Are metal blocks dirty too? Never heard of my dog get referred to as a metal block :pac::pac::pac:.

She gets walked in a grassy area/ forest walking on organic materials found in nature which are not the same as filthy streets, public transport etc which could have more hazardous synthetic materials. Aside from that she weighs less than 10 kilos so would pick up far less dirt on her dainty little toes than 60 kg me or my 85 kilo boyfriend. The baby is almost twice her weight, even. She's also not allowed on the furniture and her bedding is washed/ replaced regularly. I don't bathe her too often because it's not good for her skin but she gets a good brush weekly.

They also lick their arse and then your face.

One of the main reasons cited for not allowing shoes in the house is dogs s*it as most indoor dogs are walked on city street (country dogs tend to be outdoor dogs anyway so the fact they aren’t on city streets doesn’t come into it).

Also what are these hazardous materials, paranoia of the highest order.

They also lick their arse and then your face.

One of the main reasons cited for not allowing shoes in the house is dogs s*it as most indoor dogs are walked on city street (country dogs tend to be outdoor dogs anyway so the fact they aren’t on city streets doesn’t come into it).

Also what are these hazardous materials, paranoia of the highest order.

It’s my house, I’ll look after it however I see fit. I’m not telling you how to look after yours, I’m just pointing out why I do it and why I don’t feel like it’s that hard to maintain.

Pubs, clubs, restaurants all fling buckets of dirty mop water outside on occasion. Drug users aren’t always the most conscientious about disposing of their works. There can be broken glass around. Oil p*sses out of cars sometimes. People even sometimes sh*t on the street. Of course my dog licks, but never our faces and again, we wash our hands.

Nothing to be paranoid about, because the chances of anything being tracked in are minimized by us not wearing outdoor shoes indoors. We do have to be somewhat mindful of it because we have a toddler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Lillyfae wrote: »

Sounds like you're really bending over backwards to justify not allowing shoes in the house but then you allow a dog? That makes zero sense. Dogs are dirty animals, I like dogs and would love one as a pet,but dogs are messy and dirty and they shed hair and they sh*t and p*ss and the run around and roll in the grass which is the reason I didn't get one. Everytime I pet a dog I wash my hands.

Strange this is that we wear shoes indoors and don't ask our guests to remove their shoes. What do your guests think when they arrive in your house, remove their shoes and then they see a dog running around. Have you no self awareness of how you are perceived?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Oops! wrote: »
    People worry too much about what everybody thinks of them these days.... Social media, i remember a time it used to be fun..

In a nutshell right there
    Personally I never have nor ever will care what people think of me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Sounds like you're really bending over backwards to justify not allowing shoes in the house but then you allow a dog? That makes zero sense. ...
    What make no sense is people antagonising someone else for how they manage their own household.
    That makes zero sense.

Advertisement