Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are most families houses and lives in a mess???

Options
  • 25-09-2019 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

I’ve had the pleasure of being invited to several homes of young families recently and by young I mean new parents in their late 30’s and 40’s...

I’m aghast at how much crap people accumulate in their homes! Ikea boxes full of kids toys shoved in corners. My experience is limited to Dublin where all the “young” families with their delusions of grandeur want to live in the south east part of Dublin in houses they can barely afford all the while their lives are in chaos with plastic toys strewn everywhere, both working, 2 cars, hand-balling kids, 9 - 5, dinner Seriously, one of the parents needs to stay home and organise their lives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

People worry too much about what everybody thinks of them these days.... Social media, i remember a time it used to be fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Not to mention, all those plastic toys are terrible for the planet
    And the cars
    Simplify your lives, people! Or there won't be much of a future for those kids :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I’ve had the pleasure of being invited to several homes of young families recently and by young I mean new parents in their late 30’s and 40’s...

I’m aghast at how much crap people accumulate in their homes! Ikea boxes full of kids toys shoved in corners. My experience is limited to Dublin where all the “young” families with their delusions of grandeur want to live in the south east part of Dublin in houses they can barely afford all the while their lives are in chaos with plastic toys strewn everywhere, both working, 2 cars, hand-balling kids, 9 - 5, dinner Seriously, one of the parents needs to stay home and organise their lives.

Your starting early Ebeneezer. At least wait until after Halloween before kicking off.

How other families and households live their lives is none of your business....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Not to mention, all those plastic toys are terrible for the planet
    And the cars
    Simplify your lives, people! Or there won't be much of a future for those kids :-(

Cult member present

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Lance-kun

It's very likely that some people want to give their children what they never had as youths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You drunk, pal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Lance-kun wrote: »
    It's very likely that some people want to give their children what they never had as youths.

What, a messy house, chaotic life, absentee parents and processed food?

Probably a mixture of two things OP. Increased levels of consumerism, and smaller homes.

Your typical three bed entry-level home in the 1970s was probably 30% larger than today's version. Not that today's entry-level property is a three-bed in the first place. Property sizes are shrinking and we have more 'stuff'.

Furthermore, it isnt typical for there to be a spare parent at home these days to take care of the house. Add all of these factors together and yeah, we probably are a bit less tidy.

You drunk, pal?

You mad bro?

Probably a mixture of two things OP. Increased levels of consumerism, and smaller homes.

Your typical three bed entry-level home in the 1970s was probably 30% larger than today's version. Not that today's entry-level property typically isn't a three-bed in the first place. Property sizes are shrinking and we have more 'stuff'.

Smaller families should make up the difference - significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Because family homes are lived in, and life doesn't revolve around staging ones home for the review of judgemental pricks or social media...

Wonder how Mrs Hinches gaff will look when she's coping with a baby rather than a pampered pooch?

banie01 wrote: »
    Because family homes are lived in, and life doesn't revolve around staging ones home for the review of judgemental pricks or social media...

Wonder how Mrs Hinches gaff will look when she's coping with a baby rather than a pampered pooch?

Nonsense. Sounds like your making excuses. That’s like the people who wear track suits every day because they want to be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Your starting early Ebeneezer. At least wait until after Halloween before kicking off.

How other families and households live their lives is none of your business....
    Yep MYOB
    With 2 , only 2, my house is a kip. With toys etc ( are you gonna put them away after every play!), hankies / kitchen roll near at hand , food preparation for 3 dinners, accidents. I could go on and on. But you know what, we have great craic mostly so stay in your ivory palace and don't bother the neighbour's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nonsense. Sounds like your making excuses. That’s like the people who wear track suits every day because they want to be comfortable.

Every day?
    That's practically animalistic!
    It's just a recipe for societal chaos!

I would never condone that!

I usually do at least 3 days in my "good" pyjamas, 3 in my designer trackies and I am quite a fan of naked Thursdays.
    Keep some salubrious variety!

cjmc wrote: »
    Yep MYOB
    With 2 , only 2, my house is a kip. With toys etc ( are you gonna put them away after every play!), hankies / kitchen roll near at hand , food preparation for 3 dinners, accidents. I could go on and on. But you know what, we have great craic mostly so stay in your ivory palace and don't bother the neighbour's

Who else is going to put it away? I don’t understand, is this a new phenomenon that families never had to deal with before it just your household?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My house is a fücking mess. 3 kids. Two six year olds will just make absolute ****e of your house. Given my experience with their older sister, I’m hoping that by the time they’re 10 things will settle down a bit. I’m in the kitchen at the moment. There’s 4 bikes and two dismantled bunk beds sitting here, surrounded by school bags, doll buggies, runners swimming gear and a musical keyboard. I can barely see any of the surface of the dining room table. The living room is full of toys. There’s an entire bedroom upstairs I can’t get into because of stuff.

It’s called life. It’s a quarter to one in the morning, and I’m just finished making the lunches. I’m up at 7 tomorrow - I mean today All day was in work. Once I got home, between bringing them to football, doing the shopping, helping with their homework, cooking dinner and having a bit of time to play with them before getting them to bed, there’s been no time to sit down. once they went to bed, I did washing and some tidying. posted once or twice on Boards just as a distraction between chores. My wife was at a meeting all day in Dublin, and once she got back back she had to visit her sick mother in hospital 40km away, so that was her evening gone. I spent all last week abroad for work, while she spent most of it in both Limerick and Cork hospitals with her mother.

So yeah, the fücking house is a mess. If any cünt wants to judge me for it, they can fück right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Who else is going to put it away? I don’t understand, is this a new phenomenon that families never had to deal with before it just your household?

No. Families were always like that imo. Just people's perception of what family life should be like have changed. People post on social media about their perfect kids . Not how they run riot , because daddy is busy cooking dinner, giving medicine, doing homework, cleaning the kitchen, organising doctors appointments with school times. That's not to mention the fact that daddy or Mammy might have other rather important things to do. But the house doesn't look tidy !!!!!!! Close the door on your way out !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How did we manage or our mothers with so little in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Lance-kun

What, a messy house, chaotic life, absentee parents and processed food?

Houses are lived in. Unfortunately both parents usually have to work these days to afford housing and childcare. Just because it's not up to your snobby standards doesn't mean their lives are any worse than yours. Having a neat and tidy home doesn't mean anything if the people in it aren't happy and vice versa. Your standards are not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

These people are clearly not good enough for you OP.
    Please associate with your own type.
    S02E0124.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

one of the parents needs to stay home and organise their lives.
    They probably would if they could afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lance-kun wrote: »
    Houses are lived in. Unfortunately both parents usually have to work these days to afford housing and childcare. Just because it's not up to your snobby standards doesn't mean their lives are any worse than yours. Having a neat and tidy home doesn't mean anything if the people in it aren't happy and vice versa. Your standards are not theirs.

We had both parents out at work; then we had only one parent, also out at work. We were taught to keep our toys etc in our own rooms and to leave the living room etc clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, would recommend any household, regardless of whether there are children present or not, that has two working adults to get a “cleaner” in, at least, once a week.

There is nothing worse than spending your evenings and weekends playing “catch up” on housework.

For the cost involved you could, easily, forgo the pizza, Chinese, Indian or whatever “take away” you enjoy. Or skip a night out every once in awhile.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

debt rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I am on of these mess folk.

My wife buys toys non stop for the kid, house if strewn with toys.

Not to mention the dust.

No sex life, worrying about money 24/7....

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Both our faults

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I, personally, would recommend any household, regardless of whether there are children present or not, that has two working adults to get a “cleaner” in, at least, once a week.

There is nothing worse than spending your evenings and weekends playing “catch up” on housework.

For the cost involved you could, easily, forgo the pizza, Chinese, Indian or whatever “take away” you enjoy. Or skip a night out every once in awhile.

Theres only me in tbe house and I'm looking at getting a cleaner in.

I work hard during the week and at the weekend don't want to spend my time off doing housework. Lifes too short. Two hours every second week should be enough to keep the house in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Difference being, when I was young we got maybe 3 or 4 things for Xmas.
    Now kids get 12-15 things.

Plus many get toys bought to them all year round, not just Xmas and birthdays.

I'd agree people have too much stuff. Far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

italodisco wrote: »
    I am on of these mess folk.

My wife buys toys non stop for the kid, house if strewn with toys.

Not to mention the dust.

No sex life, worrying about money 24/7....

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Both our faults

Similar situation although I do get the back wheels in the odd time. However, social media is a huge drain on time. She spends ****ing hours on it and then wonders why sh!t doesn’t get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

cjmc wrote: »
    Yep MYOB

Exactly
    We have 4 kids
    I can say that almost everything in the house is "out of place"
    A toy in the baking cupboard, a sock under the TV where the remote is kept, an old school copy on the floor of the bathroom.

But so what, we are happy.
    We tidy up regularly but it will be a mess again soon.

And it will be a quiet tidy house all the time before we know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

So many things wrong with this post .
    In modern society it usually takes two parents to get a mortgage for that home.
    That mess you are referring to is kids making memories.
    Do you have kids yourself ? If you did you would know how hard it is to keep a home nice and tidy for the once in while vistors such as yourself who think kids should walk around in pristine home.
    Trying walking a day in the life of a parent who is juggling school, commuting , bills ,work and relationship issues etc

Advertisement