Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are most families houses and lives in a mess???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Zulu wrote: »
    What make no sense is people antagonising someone else for how they manage their own household.
    That makes zero sense.

Not really, we make these type of judgements about people every day whether we're aware of whether we admit to it.

I just find it bizarre that people who have untidy homes and a dog will ask visitors to remove their shoes because they don't want to dirty their home. What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Not really, we make these type of judgements about people every day whether we're aware of whether we admit to it.

I just find it bizarre that people who have untidy homes and a dog will ask visitors to remove their shoes because they don't want to dirty their home. What am I missing?

What you are missing is that it just does not matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Are you unable to read? I have a clean and tidy home, don’t ask visitors to remove their shoes but they do 90% of the time. And no, I really don’t care about how I’m perceived by people in my own home. Anyone who would judge me wouldn’t be invited anyway.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Are you unable to read? I have a clean and tidy home, don’t ask visitors to remove their shoes but they do 90% of the time. And no, I really don’t care about how I’m perceived by people in my own home. Anyone who would judge me wouldn’t be invited anyway.

So how do 90% of people know to remove their shoes if you don’t ask them?

0lddog wrote: »
    What you are missing is that it just does not matter

Matters to me when someone invites me to their home and then doorstops me with a request to remove my shoes. Not to mention standing around in my socks in someone else’s house. The whole experience is just uncomfortable.

Seriously, to all the shoes off people who are not originally from Ireland (and the reason I say that this is because Irish people should know better). Fair enough if you’re a shoes off family but if you care enough to invite people over to your home in the first place then take my advice, don’t ask them to remove their shoes. I guarantee your guests won’t like it even if they act like everything is ok. It’s just not the done thing in English speaking countries and before someone pipes in and mentions Canada, that’s because they’re trudge around in six metres of snow. So unless Ireland is hit with and 8 month artic snow storm this winter, don’t ask your guests to remove their shoes. I would even go as far to insist that they keep their shoes on and comment on how crazy all those shoes off foreigners are and how you’re not like them.

• Advertisement

So how do 90% of people know to remove their shoes if you don’t ask them?

Because we’re ALL a great bunch of weirdo Europeans.

Because we’re ALL a great bunch of weirdo Europeans.

Not all Europeans remove their shoes. It’s considered rude in other European countries to ask guests to remove their shoes. For example in France, Spain and Italy it’s also considered rude.

Btw, I don’t know why you have a problem with Europeans?

Not all Europeans remove their shoes. It’s considered rude in other European countries to ask guests to remove their shoes. For example in France, Spain and Italy it’s also considered rude.

I am European, living in a European country, where it’s considered normal to remove your shoes entering someone’s home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am European, living in a European country, where it’s considered normal to remove your shoes entering someone’s home.

A little tip , don’t let yourself be wound up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Why do so many people want to keep their shoes on while indoors? Unless a place is freezing and uncarpeted, its much more comfortable. I take my shoes off at the door in my own house for this reason.

I also don't find it weird at all if I'm asked to remove my shoes in someone else's house. While I doubt that the tiny bit of dust/ dirt I drag in will ever make a material difference to the cleanliness of a house, I'm not going to get offended if asked either

• Advertisement

Why do so many people want to keep their shoes on while indoors? Unless a place is freezing and uncarpeted, its much more comfortable. I take my shoes off at the door in my own house for this reason.

I also don't find it weird at all if I'm asked to remove my shoes in someone else's house. While I doubt that the tiny bit of dust/ dirt I drag in will ever make a material difference to the cleanliness of a house, I'm not going to get offended if asked either

I keep my shoes on because I wear orthotics and need the support of a lace up shoe .
    My husband takes his off to be comfortable and the grandchildren can’t wait to get theirs off and plonk in the hall kicking them off !

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    A little tip , don’t let yourself be wound up

I’d love to know what makes you think I’m wound up...

I’d love to know what makes you think I’m wound up...

I was being nice as the conversation was following a pattern .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Nothing wrong with taking your shoes off at the door, it is normal in many countries.

Living in the countryside here in the USA, in my house shoes come off. In friends houses in Europe shoes come off.

What is the big deal? Its normal and depending on the household it saves cleaning floors.

Besides I never wear shoes in most houses. Nothing uncomfortable.... but then again I shower everyday and change socks twice daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

NSAman wrote: »
    What is the big deal? Its normal and depending on the household it saves cleaning floors.

Besides I never wear shoes in most houses. Nothing uncomfortable.... but then again I shower everyday and change socks twice daily.

It feels odd when less than 1% of Irish people do it. shoes on or off make very little difference indoors and I believe only a clean freak wound disagree. I think it's a little rude insisting people take off their shoes, guests should be made to feel comfortable rather than forced to comply with something they may think is silly. Also a lot of people don't change their socks every day.

I just named the main European continental countries i.e. France, Spain and Italy so if you're not living in one of those countries then you're not actually in the "real" Europe and may want to rethink your last post.

I just named the main European continental countries i.e. France, Spain and Italy so if you're not living in one of those countries then you're not actually in the "real" Europe and may want to rethink your last post.

Say what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Greyfox wrote: »
    It feels odd when less than 1% of Irish people do it. shoes on or off make very little difference indoors and I believe only a clean freak wound disagree. I think it's a little rude insisting people take off their shoes, guests should be made to feel comfortable rather than forced to comply with something they may think is silly. Also a lot of people don't change their socks every day.

"It feels odd when less than 1% of Irish people do it. shoes on or off make very little difference indoors and I believe only a clean freak wound disagree."
    - Well most farmers do it. Perhaps they all are wrong. Personally I would rather cow ****e than dog ****e on the carpet.

"I think it's a little rude insisting people take off their shoes, guests should be made to feel comfortable"
    - What if they wanted to smoke and you don't agree to that. Should you let them do what they want to make them feel welcome. Your house your rules.

"Also a lot of people don't change their socks every day."
    - I never heard of this. Perhaps if you work on a building site and you have work clothes but the majority of people do change their socks and underwear daily. I have yet to speak to someone who doesn't by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

NSAman wrote: »

It's not about that, it's about imposing socially rude views of your own on others. End of.

Why were shoes invented? Why don't we all just walk around barefoot? Or in socks?

How do I know what piece of glass (as a few other posters in this thread have purported 'in-house shoe-wearing-heathens' carry into their immaculate houses) are not going to be found in said house? Or what bug am I going to pick up from their toddlers crawling around on their "immaculate" floors? (BTW I don't think I would, as I am not that anally retentive).

I would bet half these posters who are so 'gung ho' about 'shoes off in MY house', don't clean their houses half as much as they are purporting to. It's just a bizarre fad. If not, stick to your guns and put a bottle of hand sanitiser on the wall as your guests walk in the door.

I lived in Aus for years and people walk around there barefoot in the summer and walk into shops! *shockhorror!!

This crap isn't worth arguing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

rom wrote: »
    - Well most farmers do it. Perhaps they all are wrong. Personally I would rather cow ****e than dog ****e on the carpet.

- What if they wanted to smoke and you don't agree to that. Should you let them do what they want to make them feel welcome. Your house your rules.

"Also a lot of people don't change their socks every day."
    - I never heard of this. Perhaps if you work on a building site and you have work clothes but the majority of people do change their socks and underwear daily. I have yet to speak to someone who doesn't by choice.

Only an arseh*le walks into someones house with sh*te on their shoes. Smoking is completely different as it leaves a stinking smell, I live with a smoker and they never smoke in the house as they know that would be disgusting. Not changing socks daily happens a good bit or maybe its just the fact that some people have smelly feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Only an arseh*le walks into someones house with sh*te on their shoes. Smoking is completely different as it leaves a stinking smell, I live with a smoker and they never smoke in the house as they know that would be disgusting. Not changing socks daily happens a good bit or maybe its just the fact that some people have smelly feet.

Kids could also step in something. They can climb on couches etc. Personally have material furniture where such a stain would have to be professionally cleaned.

Living in a clean uncluttered environment is better for your mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Haven’t read the pages of responses so not sure if the initial poster was being sarcastic but if not - the immaturity of its statement and some initial posts following shows a lack of life knowledge and general intelligence plus a showing of some fecking immature knobheads who like the sound of their own voice / internet trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

rom wrote: »
    Kids could also step in something. They can climb on couches etc. Personally have material furniture where such a stain would have to be professionally cleaned.

Cushions, artwork/ornaments have been destroyed from mate's kids coming into my house. I will always put away valuable/breakable items close to the ground/waist-height when I know mates are coming over with their kids. I literally have to childproof the entire house for an hour previous if I know these kids are coming. I don't have kids myself, but I want my friends and their children to be able to feel comfortable in my home. I am glad they are coming over etc.

I do put away stuff, however I have still had beautiful cushions destroyed with dirty hand marks, my cats terrified from ankle biters chasing then around the house, crawling under the beds to try and 'catch them'..

Should I ask my mates to leave their kids at the door because it's: 'My house and I respect people to treat it the way I do?"

Or just accept that when they come over I am glad they are here. I would never ask my friends to curtail their kids (although at times I wish I could) but I am more focused on enjoying on having them in my home and extend it to them and their families.

Same with my mates and their shoes. I don't see them as germ-infesting dirt-bags.

Germany, Belgium, Netherlands might disagree with you. Where’s the European Parliament again?

Lesalare wrote: »
    It's not about that, it's about imposing socially rude views of your own on others. End of. Why were shoes invented? Why don't we all just walk around barefoot? Or in socks?

They were invented when surfaces people were walking on became too rough- ie man made surfaces instead of grass and mud. The Masai walk barefoot and it has many health benefits. Also, to this day shoes can convey status- barefoot we're all the same
    Or what bug am I going to pick up from their toddlers crawling around on their "immaculate" floors? (BTW I don't think I would, as I am not that anally retentive).

Your guess is as good as mine, children are like pigeons. In her first year in the creche I got a flu that knocked me out for 3 weeks making me hallucinate and a week long stomach bug where I lost 5 kilos (yay!). Hand washing is a must.
    I would bet half these posters who are so 'gung ho' about 'shoes off in MY house', don't clean their houses half as much as they are purporting to. It's just a bizarre fad. If not, stick to your guns and put a bottle of hand sanitiser on the wall as your guests walk in the door.

I've been very honest, we have a cleaner who does most of it. We just do the daily kitchen clean and a bit of hoovering once or twice in between. It's not a big house.
    This crap isn't worth arguing over.

Stop arguing then. The OP was musing about the people he knows that have children seem to perpetually have messy homes, too many toys and that one parent should stay at home. We're discussing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

It’s just not the done thing in English speaking countries and before someone pipes in and mentions Canada, that’s because they’re trudge around in six metres of snow.

Not true. Many parts of Canada get very little snow such as Vancouver.
    Even in the summer time, people still take their shoes off before going into someone's house.
    It's just the way it is.

Not changing socks daily happens a good bit or maybe its just the fact that some people have smelly feet.

Really? :eek:

People generally remove their shows in these countries
    They don't need to be asked

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Not true. Many parts of Canada get very little snow such as Vancouver and shoes always come off.
    Even in the summer time when the weather is hot, people still take their shoes off before going into someone's house.
    It's just the way it is.

Even north of Vancouver where they truly are knee deep in snow in Winter get gorgeous summers . They are so used to removing snow boots that its second nature to them to always remove their outdoor shoes . As you say its how it is there

• Advertisement

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Not true. Many parts of Canada get very little snow such as Vancouver and shoes always come off.
    Even in the summer when the weather is hot, people still take their shoes off before going into someone's house.
    It's just the way it is.

What did I say in my post, and lo and behold someone pipes in with Canada. Seriously.

Advertisement