Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are most families houses and lives in a mess???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I have a robot vacuum cleaner, Sebastian. He cleans every day, it takes him hours with recharging and our house is quite a large open plan area.

I'm always quite fascinated at the amount of dirt Sebastian collects every day - I'm compelled to look in his collection bin when I get home from work. We never wear shoes around the house and are quite tidy/clean in general.

i'm not sure what most of the dirt is - dead skin maybe.

If you added up 2-weeks worth of Sebastian's cleaning, it would be a significant volume of dirt.

I would abhor living in a house that's not been cleaned in 2 weeks.

We have the same thing but we call it Consuela after the maid on Family Guy. Very useful but can get stuck in corners or on mats sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I want a robot to hoover...

I kick my own shoes off when I get home but that's more about liking bare feet or a change into something comfy than it is about dirt. I've a Russian friend who would need a resus team if I walked into his place with shoes on, but he grew up with 2 meters of snow and slush on the ground for much of the year so I understand the culture of indoor shoes to prevent the tracking of all that muck indoors.

I don't care if someone asks me to take my shoes off but I get why some do. It can be a bit on the precious side if it's dry outside but it's fair enough if it's wet and mucky. Personally I'd just expect people to wipe their feet thoroughly but it's understandable if someone has a crawling baby or toddler around.

I do a bit of cleaning everyday, and a cleaner comes in once a week to do the things I really despise like ironing and floor washing as well as a good general once-over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Jamsiek wrote: »
    We have the same thing but we call it Consuela after the maid on Family Guy. Very useful but can get stuck in corners or on mats sometime.

Yes, very frustrating - a stray sock can spell absolute disaster for Sebastian. He texts my phone to let me know if he's gotten into difficulty. It breaks my heart when work commitments don't allow me to get back to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Our robot vac is called Harry. Waste of time tbh. He is always getting stuck on things, having to recharge during the job or be emptied. If I go out and leave him to it I'll usually get a notification that there is some problem or other. "Stuck near a cliff" was confusing at first but usually means he's trapped on a rug. Takes hours. Quicker to just do it myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Yes, very frustrating - a stray sock can spell absolute disaster for Sebastian. He texts my phone to let me know if he's gotten into difficulty. It breaks my heart when work commitments don't allow me to get back to him.

Maybe we could introduce Sebastian with Consuela, they could have baby robots

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Our robot vac is called Harry. Waste of time tbh. He is constantly getting stuck on things, having to recharge during the job or be emptied. If I go out and leave it to it I'll usually get a notification that there is some problem or other. Takes hours. Quicker to just do it myself!

I've often wondered how good they are at corners. All the ones I've seen are round. I always assumed they were for a between-clean rather than the main method of vacuuming.

I'd only have one as a means of entertaining the cat and dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Bob is our vac. He's class. He's even friends with the dog. The dog is terrified of the normal hoover, but doesn't mind Bob at all.

Strangely Bob has performance anxiety. It's really weird considering he's a robot. If you are watching him, he does crazy sh1t and gets stuck in loops, cant find the way home etc.. But if you trust him and go about your day he does everything perfect and returns to his charger. It's incredible how much dirt he finds.

I'd highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Candie wrote: »
    I've often wondered how good they are at corners. All the ones I've seen are round. I always assumed they were for a between-clean rather than the main method of vacuuming.

While round they have spinny brushes that sweep the dirt into the centre for gobbling up. Those spinny brushes get into the corners for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Candie wrote: »

Yeah I got it just to deal with the daily little crumbs in the kitchen etc. Its definitely not a replacement for actually hoovering every few days. Its ok with corners, there are kind of windmill shaped brushes on either side that spin and reach in. The main thing that I appreciate about it is that it goes underneath furniture if theres enough clearance so for that alone I think it might be worth it!

Also, I like the patterns it makes in the carpeted areas. Sometimes you can see where it's gone a little bit crazy and started going in circles or randomly veered off course

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Our robot vac is called Harry. Waste of time tbh. He is always getting stuck on things, having to recharge during the job or be emptied. If I go out and leave him to it I'll usually get a notification that there is some problem or other. "Stuck near a cliff" was confusing at first but usually means he's trapped on a rug. Takes hours. Quicker to just do it myself!

Stuck near a cliff haha

I'm dying to get one. A compatible with alexa one

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Does anyone use an air purifier to help with dust? Does it work?

I like the idea of getting a robot to help with cat fluff that seems to get everywhere. We Hoover once a week but it’s definitely not enough. I hate Hoovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Does anyone use an air purifier to help with dust? Does it work?

I like the idea of getting a robot to help with cat fluff that seems to get :Deverywhere. We Hoover once a week but it’s definitely not enough. I hate Hoovering.

I thought a robot would help but the cats would probably end up riding round the house on it. Unless you’ve a good open plan area for them to work around are they much good?

We have all tiles downstairs and timber floors upstairs. Not a rug or carpet in the house. We’ve a dyson cordless which is used daily and to be fair it’s brilliant but the nilfisk still has to come out occasionally for a blitz. The small dyson head is used for furniture fur at least once a week and it still gets everywhere. (Three longhairs and 2 shorthairs will do that ). The ginger longhair is next to me now and I’m blowing fur off the iPad screen as I type :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Entropy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Maybe we could introduce Sebastian with Consuela, they could have baby robots

Sebastian is gay.

He's going out with a robot lawnmower called Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

That never happens. On the rare occasion I get dog poo on my shoes, I won’t wear in them inside mine or anyone’s house until they’re clean. And there is no missing that there’s poo on shoes. The smell is pungent. As for puke, who on earth is walking around with that on their shoes with any kind of regularity? Doormats do a good job of removing most stuff off the bottom of shoes. Many doormats have groves to help. Shoe-removal isn’t the norm in Ireland yet how often do you see filthy floors in houses that you visit? I’m willing to bet hardly ever.

Seriously? You've no idea what sorts of nasties your shoes pick up on the pavements. Just because there's no clumps of ****e visibly on your soles doesn't mean traces of it are not there. Along with everything else from the day on your clothes. Would you go sit on the luas then lie on your freshly made bed on your clothes you've just commuted in? If you did that on my bed you'd be out the door on your hole.

Stratvs wrote: »
    I thought a robot would help but the cats would probably end up riding round the house on it. Unless you’ve a good open plan area for them to work around are they much good?

We have all tiles downstairs and timber floors upstairs. Not a rug or carpet in the house. We’ve a dyson cordless which is used daily and to be fair it’s brilliant but the nilfisk still has to come out occasionally for a blitz. The small dyson head is used for furniture fur at least once a week and it still gets everywhere. (Three longhairs and 2 shorthairs will do that ). The ginger longhair is next to me now and I’m blowing fur off the iPad screen as I type :D

We just have the one cat! I can't imagine the work that's needed for 5, especially longhairs! Realistically our space isn't big enough for a robot, I think. Was hoping an air purifier with a decent filter might at least help with dust. I cannot emphasise enough how much I dislike Hoovering.

We just have the one cat! I can't imagine the work that's needed for 5, especially longhairs! Realistically our space isn't big enough for a robot, I think. Was hoping an air purifier with a decent filter might at least help with dust. I cannot emphasise enough how much I dislike Hoovering.

One of the best inventions ever is another type of robot....the litter robot altho' they did complain it doesn't have Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

fatknacker wrote: »
    Seriously? You've no idea what sorts of nasties your shoes pick up on the pavements. Just because there's no clumps of ****e visibly on your soles doesn't mean traces of it are not there. Along with everything else from the day on your clothes. Would you go sit on the luas then lie on your freshly made bed on your clothes you've just commuted in? If you did that on my bed you'd be out the door on your hole.

Irish Times (iirc) carried a fact-checking article recently on whether it's actually unhygienic to wear your shoes indoors. Basically, unless you or someone in your house is seriously immunocompromised, it makes absolutely no difference at all.

I'll see if I can find it and post it. People are almost comically germ-phobic these days.

Stratvs wrote: »
    One of the best inventions ever is another type of robot....the litter robot altho' they did complain it doesn't have Netflix.

Now, it that had some kind of Dyson-esque air funnel the cat had to walk through to get out, therefore removing all traces of cat litter from their paws, I would absolutely buy that. We use wood based litter. It. gets. everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Irish Times (iirc) carried a fact-checking article recently on whether it's actually unhygienic to wear your shoes indoors. Basically, unless you or someone in your house is seriously immunocompromised, it makes absolutely no difference at all.

I'll see if I can find it and post it. People are almost comically germ-phobic these days.

This.

I'm starting to think people use cleaning as some sort of therapy. Which is fine as long not all of us are expected to adhere to overly germ-phobic standards that more likely harm people than do any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

meeeeh wrote: »
    This.

I'm starting to think people use cleaning as some sort of therapy. Which is fine as long not all of us are expected to adhere to overly germ-phobic standards that more likely harm people than do any good.

By the sounds of things some people would have a full-decon shower and airlock at their front door if they could.

Dial Hard wrote: »

No it's not going to kill you of course. Doesn't make it any less minging to think you're sitting in the sh1te of a thousand people when you're relaxing in your home.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-bus-luas-dart-seats-16627507

Now, it that had some kind of Dyson-esque air funnel the cat had to walk through to get out, therefore removing all traces of cat litter from their paws, I would absolutely buy that. We use wood based litter. It. gets. everywhere.

We have one of[URL="[url]https://www.ebay.ie/itm/233131326913[/url]"] these[/URL] outside the robot. It does work, I won't say it gets 100% of the litter but most of it.

The litter we use is Tigerino 100% clay clumping from Zooplus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I wouldn’t be getting so agitated about a dreamt up scenario. That can’t be good for you.

Of course some germs are going to get pulled indoors from outside. What do you do with bags that have been placed on the ground outdoors before their journey home? It doesn’t concern me because I don’t lick the floor and I habitually wash my hands before preparing food and in countless other scenarios too. People have protections against cross-contamination pretty well worked out. I remain fascinated by how scared of germs some people are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'm fussy about germs. Clean the toilet nearly every day. Have the anti bacterial wipes and boiling water at the ready when I prepare raw meat/fish, clean the fridge and the microwave every few days, use the hottest setting on the dishwasher, change the bin bag probably more than necessary.

But considering I don't lick the floor, eat off the floor, sit on the floor, lie on the floor, and also considering I sweep, hoover and mop it, why is it so disgusting if I let people who have no visible or unpleasant smelling dirt on their shoes (which have been rubbed on the doormat) leave them on? It's illogical imo.

It wouldn’t even enter my head to be concerned about where I sat during the day and where I sat in the evening at home after.

If it's not something you think about then grand. Ive been on buses where oul lads have shat themselves but there's no obvious visible stain on the seat after. Still doesn't mean it's not there or it hasn't happened.
    Since then I've been wary of what sort of mank I bring into my room / home with my clothes and bags and I'd try to avoid putting them on the bed.

People from other countries have that mindset too. I get that Asians eat and sleep on or near the floor so the no shoes thing is understandable there.

I'm not a germphobe or anally clean.
    I just think traipsing dirt around the home from the outside is ming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If it's not something you think about then grand. Ive been on buses where oul lads have shat themselves but there's no obvious visible stain on the seat after. Still doesn't mean it's not there or it hasn't happened.
    Since then I've been wary of what sort of mank I bring into my room / home with my clothes and bags and I'd try to avoid putting them on the bed.

People from other countries have that mindset too. I get that Asians eat and sleep on or near the floor so the no shoes thing is understandable there.

I'm not a germphobe or anally clean.
    I just think traipsing dirt around the home from the outside is ming.

How do we all survive I wonder . Then we sit in restaurants , school chairs , cinemas , doctors waiting room , park benches , buses , taxis , Airplanes , walls , benches by the prom , etc . We don’t run home and change our clothes after each sit down yet we survived to retire in good health and a pretty strong immune system .

• Advertisement

We do? Wonder why everyone here is sick all the time and queuing out the doors in the GP / hospitals. Inept health system, sure. But the amount of people coughing and spluttering in the first place might also be worth considering.

Advertisement