Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are most families houses and lives in a mess???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

In Ireland it is almost unheard of to have a rule around shoes in the house.

not everywhere, any of my neighbours that call remove their shoes at the door and i do the same going into their houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

In Ireland it is almost unheard of to have a rule around shoes in the house. I’ve never ever been asked to remove my shoes, I had it hinted at when going into one or two houses of non-irish people and that’s it.

People do not expect to have to remove their shoes when visiting a house, it’s strange and people don’t like it. It may be the norm in other places but it’s not in Ireland and it’s ignorant and pretentious to try to force it on people.

Also what are people doing walking into sh*t all the time? I walk all over the house in outdoor shoes and never drag in dirt.

I think the clue is in the first sentence of your post or Irish people who have lived abroad and have returned to Ireland some much more enlightened telling us how things are done in other countries.

Cyrus wrote: »
    not everywhere, any of my neighbours that call remove their shoes at the door and i do the same going into their houses.

I’ve never seen it and I’ve been in countless houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think the clue is in the first sentence of your post or Irish people who have lived abroad and have returned to Ireland some much more enlightened telling us how things are done in other countries.

Well, it hasn’t really caught on. People must be glazing over the topic comes up. As one tends to at travel bores.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I’ve never seen it and I’ve been in countless houses.

What’s your point ? I’m sure the number of houses you have been in is statistically irrelevant so your point is anecdotal at best

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    What’s your point ? I’m sure the number of houses you have been in is statistically irrelevant so your point is anecdotal at best

It’s safe to say that home shoe-removal is not commonplace in Ireland as a whole. I’m sure there are small pockets here and there were it happens but as a culture, it’s not really done. Doormats are popular and people use them. There’s a reason for that.

Personally, I think a bit of dirt is good for us so I hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Sorry, that doesn’t work and you’re not in those countries anymore. You should also spend less time traipsing around in the dirt, most people seem to manage it but maybe it was different during your 9 years. Amazing how enlightened people become after they travel.

Works for me. Doesn't matter where I am, if I find something logical or useful I do it.

Everyone tracks in dirt if you keep your shoes on, whether they see it or not. Shoes come off, slippers goes on. Simple as that. And as I'm the one who has to hoover I get a say in what does and does not come into my home.
    You should watch Sebastian Maniscalco’s sketch on being invited to houses where you’re asked to remove shoes or even better the Sex and the city episode. But if you’re feelings are that strong about it there’s a whole thread where you can justify your reasons there.

You watch Sex and the City? :pac: your point is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Lesalare wrote: »
    I detest people who ask others to take off their shoes in their house. I think it's the height of rudeness.

A house is to be lived in. I've only had it happen to me once. At a swanky dinner party for which I had actually bought a very expensive pair of new and very beautiful high heels. I found it really rude and totally out of line.

You know what I think is rude? wearing high heels (don't give a ****e how expensive they are) and pitting my wooden floors.

Or are you just blind to the damage they do because it's not your floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Greentopia wrote: »
    You know what I think is rude? wearing high heels (don't give a ****e how expensive they are) and pitting my wooden floors.

I forgot about this. Yeah they properly f*ck up flooring. I have new hardwood floors which were put in when my house was renovated. Then I had a tradesman walk a stone in which was stuck in his boot thread, guess what happened ??? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I never wear shoes in my own house and any kids that come into my house I make them take off their shoes in the hall - no exceptions. Kids are generally filthy creatures.

Adults I will trust not to be walking **** and dirt over my floors so I don't make them remove shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Y'all complaining about not wearing shoes in other people's gafs and smelly feet / fungal toes....maybe look after your feet a bit.
    And you might not mind traipsing dog ****e / junky puke around your home but others might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Lesalare wrote: »
    I detest people who ask others to take off their shoes in their house. I think it's the height of rudeness.
    +1. Oddball uptight behaviour and I do not know ANYONE whatsoever that demands it in the real world (unless a person has muddy footwear from sports or work obviously).

And nobody traipses sh1t or puke around their home or others' homes. Obviously you take off or clean your shoes if you step in same. But with regard to what's actually being referred to (getting people to take off shoes at all times - even when there's nothing on the shoe): rude. With a pretence that it's normal. It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

fatknacker wrote: »
    Y'all complaining about not wearing shoes in other people's gafs and smelly feet / fungal toes....maybe look after your feet a bit.
    And you might not mind traipsing dog ****e / junky puke around your home but others might.

I do look after my feet, that's why the only feet I want my feet to come into contact with are the feet of my family.

They are also clean and fresh smelling but not everyone's is. So family only with their shoes off preferably.

that's why the only feet I want my feet to come into contact with are the feet of my family.

That's definitely the weirdest thing I've read today but it's not even 11am yet so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Greentopia wrote: »

https://thesolemates.com/collections/heel-protectors/products/heel-protectors-single-pair-clear

Maybe buy a few of these to give to you stilleto-wearing/floor-wrecking mates.

I buy these for using when on grass, they work wonders for not damaging wooden floors too :)

fatknacker wrote: »

That never happens. On the rare occasion I get dog poo on my shoes, I won’t wear in them inside mine or anyone’s house until they’re clean. And there is no missing that there’s poo on shoes. The smell is pungent. As for puke, who on earth is walking around with that on their shoes with any kind of regularity? Doormats do a good job of removing most stuff off the bottom of shoes. Many doormats have groves to help. Shoe-removal isn’t the norm in Ireland yet how often do you see filthy floors in houses that you visit? I’m willing to bet hardly ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So the people who wear shoes inside..if you do walk around without shoes on occasion, are your feet or socks not dirty on the bottom afterwards? If you wear shoes, your floors are dirty. It might not be caked on or noticable but it's there. Or do you just never not wear shoes unless you're literally in bed or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So the people who wear shoes inside..if you do walk around without shoes on occasion, are your feet or socks not dirty on the bottom afterwards? If you wear shoes, your floors are dirty. It might not be caked on or noticable but it's there. Or do you just never not wear shoes unless you're literally in bed or something?
    Oh I always take off my shoes when I get in, and either walk around barefoot, in socks or sandals/slippers (depending on time of year) - I do it to mind my shoes, not the floors. Never find dirt on my feet or socks because my floors are hoovered/swept/washed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No. I hoover the floor every day and mop tiles. I am always without shoes, others in my family wear shoes sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hey guys maybe we can do the how often do you shower one? Been a while since that and it's usually good for like 2000 posts!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

What a bizarre thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Hey guys maybe we can do the how often do you shower one? Been a while since that and it's usually good for like 2000 posts!
    Ah sure how would that work Electo? We're all incels and incels don't shower.

End of thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Kids are brilliant. You can blame them for all the mess and ignore it till the cleaner comes.

If people want to spend hours cleaning that's up to them but there is more to life than polished skirting boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Guy Person wrote: »
    Ah sure how would that work Electo? We're all incels and incels don't shower.

End of thread.

Well I shower four times a day and I can smell the people who don't!

And so on and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

meeeeh wrote: »
    Kids are brilliant. You can blame them for all the mess and ignore it till the cleaner comes.

If people want to spend hours cleaning that's up to them but there is more to life than polished skirting boards.
    Polish the kids and let them run wild

#LIFEHACK

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Guy Person wrote: »
    Polish the kids and let them run wild

#LIFEHACK

Ever tried catching a polished kid, house is only clean for so long before they smash through a window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Here's my take on the shoes in the house issue.

In Canada where I am right now, everyone takes their shoes off at the door before going into a house or apartment.
    It's just the way it's done here and around Europe.
    I even do it where all the people living in a house are Irish as does everyone else in the house.

I actually like taking my shoes off as it's more comfortable especially when I come home from work and want to relax for a while.
    I also take my shows off when I visit family in Ireland and nobody even notices.
    If you get used to taking your shoes off at home, you will start to prefer it that way.

I don’t wear my shoes in my own house but never insist on vistors taking their shoes off and I don’t like being asked to in other people’s houses. My socks are never black dirty. Same with the soles of my feet. There’s never visible dirt. I’m sure there’s microscopic dirt there but seeing as I’m not planning on licking the soles of my feet and always wash my hands before preparing food, it’s not an issue.

A bit of dirt is fine as long as you make sure not to cross-contaminate and everyone does make sure of that whether they realise it or not. Hand-washing habits are that in action, for example.

I’d say most people take of their shoes at some point of the evening for comfort it’s this whole leaving them at the door nonsense and likening walking inside with a shoe to throwing around some radioactive waste.

I rarely go around in socks as I wear crocs or slippers but I only put them on when I’m finished outside. I’d walk into every room in the house in my shoes if going in and out from the car or whatever or intending on going out again after coming in. When I’m settled in for the night I’d switch to slippers or crocs.

When I walk around in socks I can’t say I notice them dirty then again my socks are all dark. Lots of carpet in the house too and I don’t notice it get dirty. Cleaner comes in every two weeks and cleans the house top to bottom but aside from a spillage etc there is no cleaning needed in between.

• Advertisement

Cleaner comes in every two weeks and cleans the house top to bottom but aside from a spillage etc there is no cleaning needed in between.

I have a robot vacuum cleaner, Sebastian. He cleans every day, it takes him hours with recharging and our house is quite a large open plan area.

I'm always quite fascinated at the amount of dirt Sebastian collects every day - I'm compelled to look in his collection bin when I get home from work. We never wear shoes around the house and are quite tidy/clean in general.

i'm not sure what most of the dirt is - dead skin maybe.

If you added up 2-weeks worth of Sebastian's cleaning, it would be a significant volume of dirt.

I would abhor living in a house that's not been cleaned in 2 weeks.

Advertisement