Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Were all those findings of last years audit made public or just some?

I'm trying to figure out at the moment who's making the bigger balls of things - our county board here in Clare or yeres! It's tight at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Deserves all the criticism in the world as regards the management situation but very wrong, inaccurate and dangerous with your insinuations regards finance. They are legacy issues that predates his chairmanship. He called in CP to look into it. That needs to be very clear and seperated from the incompetence in other areas despite the opportunistic timing of Supermacs statement.

What are you insinuating wrt to Pat McDonagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

He was Chairman at the time of Ed Sheeran. Wasnt him that oversaw that deal. Was back in the times when we had a full time paid CEO. As I said its very easy abuse and berate someone based on headlines but its important to look at the detail. Regarding the financial situation in Galway there are zero questions over the current officers.

Were all those findings of last years audit made public or just some?

I'm trying to figure out at the moment who's making the bigger balls of things - our county board here in Clare or yeres! It's tight at the moment!!

The audit reports were sent to the clubs as they should be. Thats how the structure works. Our club officers discussed them at meetings and anyone there could read them. They are in the public domain. It seems many other clubs arent as diligent in doing so in communicating to their members unfortunately.

I am saying the Supermacs statement was opportunistic as would be aware of all these reports and that they happened on a previous beat and are being used against a weak Chairman over other issues. Thankfully it has backfired for what it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Supermacs Statement

08 OCT 2019

Statement re Galway GAA Finances

Following on from our request for the reports into the finances of Galway GAA to be made public, Supermac’s would like to clarify the reasons behind our initial statement:

Supermacs fundamentally believes that in order for the Galway teams to be successful, there needs to be transparency at all levels.

Supermacs sole objective is to assist the Galway teams to achieve success on the field. Parents, mentors and management teams have approached

Supermacs on numerous occasions to bring several incidents that have taken place to our attention including revelations of underage teams having to bring their own lunches to tournaments in other counties, teams competing while wearing mismatched jerseys against fully kitted opposition and management teams requiring further resources that weren't being made available to them due to budget cuts.

Supermacs has no interest in seeking to influence the decision-making process of the Galway GAA but while a cloud hangs over the organisation it has an effect on the competitiveness and success of our teams.

Supermacs acknowledges that a lot of honourable people contribute at all levels of the GAA and whilst there are the beginnings of a necessary change in culture, the path forward cannot be laid until the issues of the past are revealed.

Supermacs seeks the transparency and accountability which are vital to confidence going forward. The first steps in this journey require that the two concluded reports into the finances of Galway GAA be published in full or otherwise further investigated by the relevant authorities.

Supermacs is at a loss to understand why these reports have not been published. We re-iterate that players, management, supporters and volunteers who willingly give their time for the promotion and administration of our games, deserve no less.

As previously stated, our concerns in relation to financial matters in Galway GAA were brought to the attention of the Galway County Board 4 years ago and, shortly afterwards, to the attention of Croke Park and nothing happened. We raised these concerns again at a meeting with the County Board in January of this year following the findings of the Mazars Report.

In the interest of clarification, Supermacs has separate sponsorship arrangements with the Galway Camogie Board and the Galway Ladies Football Board. The figures released in Supermacs statement last week were not inclusive of these other sponsorships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The audit reports were sent to the clubs as they should be. Thats how the structure works. Our club officers discussed them at meetings and anyone there could read them. They are in the public domain. It seems many other clubs arent as diligent in doing so in communicating to their members unfortunately.

I am saying the Supermacs statement was opportunistic as would be aware of all these reports and that they happened on a previous beat and are being used against a weak Chairman over other issues. Thankfully it has backfired for what it was.

Where are these reports?

kippy wrote: »
    Where are these reports?

With 80 clubs in Galway for the past 10 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I've the Croke Park hotel booked for next year with free cancellation lads what ye think cancel it now?

With 80 clubs in Galway for the past 10 months.

You said they were in the public domain. Where are they?
    With 80 clubs isn't in the public domain,particularly if you can't provide a link or the reports themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    You said they were in the public domain. Where are they?
    With 80 clubs isn't in the public domain,particularly if you can't provide a link or the reports themselves.

The report was made public through the clubs. It was not a secret. Its just no one took an interest. Link below from last December with the details:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/galway-clubs-want-answers-after-damning-audit-892456.html

There is a journalist claiming its released tonight...it was always accessible for anyone that wanted it as demonstrated above.

The report was made public through the clubs. It was not a secret. Its just no one took an interest. Link below from last December with the details:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/galway-clubs-want-answers-after-damning-audit-892456.html

There is a journalist claiming its released tonight...it was always accessible for anyone that wanted it as demonstrated above.

Again, I don't see any public report(s).
    But look. If you deem all of this acceptable and transparent, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

What do you mean public reports? Galway GAA issues its reports to its members through the clubs. Thats how it works?? It doesnt regularly take a slot in the weekly paper with its latest reports.

My point is it wasnt secret. Its not new news for want of a better phrase. All of these recommendations have been implemented by Croke Park official in Galway. They are currently running Galways finances. Thats why the Supermacs proclomations are disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Open to correction on this but I've always been under the impression that the reports issued to club representatives last year and seemingly to journalists tonight had some elements removed or altered based on legal advice given to the board. Those elements can't be made public or the board will end up spending a fortune on court cases.

grbear wrote:
    Open to correction on this but I've always been under the impression that the reports issued to club representatives last year and seemingly to journalists tonight had some elements removed or altered based on legal advice given to the board. Those elements can't be made public or the board will end up spending a fortune on court cases.

Could be wrong as well but my understanding was the first report given to Croke Park has never seen the light of day due to the implications it had for certain past board members. As in if it was released it would likely lead to legal issues and without 100% concrete evidence it wasn't going to be pursued. The next report which was released last year was more or less a follow on from the first and was then sign off by Croke Park and the Galway County board and released to the clubs. I don't think many including Supermacs will be privy to the first report.

Could be wrong as well but my understanding was the first report given to Croke Park has never seen the light of day due to the implications it had for certain past board members. As in if it was released it would likely lead to legal issues and without 100% concrete evidence it wasn't going to be pursued. The next report which was released last year was more or less a follow on from the first and was then sign off by Croke Park and the Galway County board and released to the clubs. I don't think many including Supermacs will be privy to the first report.

That is my understanding of it also. Croke Park stepped in on this and thats where many of the answer lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

So what is McDonaghs agenda? Has he a grievance with the current chairman?

So what is McDonaghs agenda? Has he a grievance with the current chairman?

Very hard to work out the tit for tat. The issues raised by Supermacs were valid. But I'm not sure how valid they are in 2019. A lot of the wrongs have been righted. Does that excuse what went on before. Definitely not. But it would seem Croke Park looked into holding people accountable and felt it wasn't possible. I know the new treasurer was not happy with this. Galway would seem to be somewhat on the right track in relation to administration. They've hired a lad back from London in a paid position to help with the financial side of things. As to why bring this up now and not only that demand a report that easy accessible is strange. If it was the first report he was looking for then fair enough but he won't see it.

My own opinion is I find it curious that both statements came soon after disappointing news on the manager front. Maybe it's possible a manager was not supported as well as he should of been. Manager left. Someone likes another high profile manger but after a sound out meeting realise the funds aren't there to keep every ship sailing and fun this high profile team. The lad with the money is told as much and suddenly they're wondering what all their hard own money is spent on. County board release figures saying the report is available and your sponsorship only accounted for 1/7th of the money spent on Galway teams in the last five years. Then all candidates step down. Another Supermacs statement follows soon after. Some in Galway wonder if the manager who was in charge was supported from the offset we may not be in this position. That wouldn't sit well with the sponsor. Some deflection might be needed to keep the focus elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Is there a danger of Supermacs pulling the plug now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Is there a danger of Supermacs pulling the plug now?

Supermacs are getting bang for there buck . Supposedly elverys give mayo 450 k a year . Supermac gives around 300 k a year but he gets a lot more exposure. His name is on every jersey as far as I know including all camogie and hurling teams . Then a lot of gaa related stuff ends up back at his loughrea hotel and his branches get plenty of business out of family gaa days out. No fool our Supermac in the long run he’s making money out of his association with Galway gaa in my opinion

Very hard to work out the tit for tat. The issues raised by Supermacs were valid. But I'm not sure how valid they are in 2019. A lot of the wrongs have been righted. Does that excuse what went on before. Definitely not. But it would seem Croke Park looked into holding people accountable and felt it wasn't possible. I know the new treasurer was not happy with this. Galway would seem to be somewhat on the right track in relation to administration. They've hired a lad back from London in a paid position to help with the financial side of things. As to why bring this up now and not only that demand a report that easy accessible is strange. If it was the first report he was looking for then fair enough but he won't see it.

My own opinion is I find it curious that both statements came soon after disappointing news on the manager front. Maybe it's possible a manager was not supported as well as he should of been. Manager left. Someone likes another high profile manger but after a sound out meeting realise the funds aren't there to keep every ship sailing and fun this high profile team. The lad with the money is told as much and suddenly they're wondering what all their hard own money is spent on. County board release figures saying the report is available and your sponsorship only accounted for 1/7th of the money spent on Galway teams in the last five years. Then all candidates step down. Another Supermacs statement follows soon after. Some in Galway wonder if the manager who was in charge was supported from the offset we may not be in this position. That wouldn't sit well with the sponsor. Some deflection might be needed to keep the focus elsewhere.

Probably the post that best encapsulates the whole scenario. The current board that are there have done a lot to weed out these issues as best they could. There should be zero suspicions or insuinuations hanging over their heads. They are also controlled by Croke Park given the debt that is owed and hamstrung by it. Lot of change implemented and zero credit for it.

People bringing up this stuff as if its new is crazy. Most of these recommendations have been put in place by Croke Park and they monitor it.

On the manager side there are definitely issues. But the issues from above have put serious constraints on the board too in terms of supporting the senior setup. And while most people out there dont care....Galway GAA is much more than just the senior hurling team. Its a massive operation. McDonagh has weighed in on this and despite his statement is effectively interfering and attempting to influence decision making. If he wants to do that he should run for a position at convention and stop damaging Galway GAA for personal gain when its in a weak position and trying to put things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Surely there is more lucrative sponsorship out there? One that doesn't mean you have to have stops in certain filling stations or have banquets in certain hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

spurshero wrote: »
    Supermacs are getting bang for there buck . Supposedly elverys give mayo 450 k a year . Supermac gives around 300 k a year but he gets a lot more exposure. His name is on every jersey as far as I know including all camogie and hurling teams . Then a lot of gaa related stuff ends up back at his loughrea hotel and his branches get plenty of business out of family gaa days out. No fool our Supermac in the long run he’s making money out of his association with Galway gaa in my opinion

Isnt that the whole idea of sponsorship? No commercial operation sponsors a team for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

h2005 wrote: »
    Surely there is more lucrative sponsorship out there? One that doesn't mean you have to have stops in certain filling stations or have banquets in certain hotels
    If there is they have found better value for their investment. Galway did well out of Supermac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Edgware wrote: »
    If there is they have found better value for their investment. Galway did well out of Supermac

But Supermac has done vey, very well out of Galway and still is.
    I was shocked when I saw his figures. I thought he was giving way more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PJ98

He was Chairman at the time of Ed Sheeran. Wasnt him that oversaw that deal. Was back in the times when we had a full time paid CEO. As I said its very easy abuse and berate someone based on headlines but its important to look at the detail. Regarding the financial situation in Galway there are zero questions over the current officers.

Those concert dates were announced during the middle of 2017 so Kearney would have been in the job for 6 months or so, surely negotiations weren't concluded prior to his arrival?

Who was the full time paid CEO? John Hynes was the full time paid secretary at the time so was it him? I can vaguely remember someone moving to Connacht Rugby from Galway GAA a few years ago so would it have been him? edit-Joe Gorham was the commercial manager who moved to Connacht Rugby a few years ago.

I agree its very easy to berate the current officials and I wouldn't do that with more information.

Whats going on with the rumoured budget cuts for both teams, the finances looked like they were heading in the right direction for 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I believe that Loughgeorge needs an upgrade in order to cope with both the hurlers and footballers using it as their primary training location. The board want to clear the Mountain South debt before taking on any more.

That's what I got told anyway. Could easily be bunkum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The hurlers are reluctant to revolt against county board due to media backlash but have made their opinions known.they won’t revolt since the Cunningham incident.
    That’s according to today’s Tuam herald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

kaizersoze wrote: »
    But Supermac has done vey, very well out of Galway and still is.
    I was shocked when I saw his figures. I thought he was giving way more.

Yeah he was getting way too good a deal, paying considerably less than Elverys give to Mayo for more exposure when you consider Mayo aren’t participating in hurling/camogie.

Advertisement