Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Think it may have been aimed at Barna's Maurice Brosnan who writes for examiner as he had article on Friday last and alluded to his record against mayo. Harsh on him in a way as he's a big supporter of the team and very good young journalist who is really inventive in his analysis and reports. Sunday world and the Independent had similar articles too. Joyce and the team were probably looking for something to give them an edge and use some of these comments for motivation

Post edited by mjp on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Footballers against Derry put on the same day as Galway vs Antrim in the hurling. I'm a season ticket holder in both codes since inception and this is the first time EVER they have clashed two Championship games. Has happened in the league (which annoys me) but never championship. Lack of f**king respect is unreal from the GAA at this stage.

I've emailed our County board, GAA, Galway Bay FM and season ticket and sent it to a few of the hurlers. If a stink isn't made of this today it'll be allowed happen.

I ain't one for social media or getting thick over things but enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Avon8

Yep that's a scandal. The game can easily be played on the Sunday

There's two GAAGo slots on the Saturday and they obviously decided that the lesser scandal of either the game not being shown, or screwing over Galway fans was the latter. That's is any consideration was given to Galway fans at all

Im sure there's floating backroom staff members used by both panels, and it can't be easy for county board officials either so hopefully they do kick up a stink. Bellew is usually good in that regard tbf. Your example with the season tickets is very valid also, simply not on. These concerns matter more than TV coverage

The days of the dual player is completely dead and buried so. Is Daithi Burke moving from Hurlers to Footballers in 2014 once there former were knocked out the last example we'll ever have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Add to the mix that Connacht have their last home game of the season on Saturday evening and it makes even less sense for supporters not to mention the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭testtech05

I just realised this clash this morning aswell, a disaster for any fans hoping to make both and the town will be even more wrote off than usual especially when both games start within 30mins of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

I know it’s madness. I know common sense and the GAA don’t go hand in hand but having the footballers clashing with the hurlers and Connacht is taking the biscuit.

I am a Connacht ST holder and would love to go the Derry match but feel like I’m obliged to go to the Connacht game since it’s the last one before the redevelopment of the Sportsground.

Yeah I am the same, I have a season ticket for the Clan and its the last game it will be there in its current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I'm still drinking in the win on Sunday, I've watched back the highlights and last fifteen minutes countless times!

It's one of the most satisfying wins I can remember. The scenes felt like Galway hadn't won Connacht in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Avon8

Looking forward to the inquest as to why there's a paltry attendance at the game when the Galway hurlers are playing at the same time, Connacht Rugby is taking over half the city, there's a ladies game in Terryland, Man United legends are playing in Athenry and the Derry fans can't go because they can't get a hotel room and they won't get home until 1am with traffic

Every one of those issues would be fixed by putting the game at 3pm on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

While I understand the general point of the post, I really cant see many Galway hurling fans travelling to Antrim. I dont think that fixture will have a massive impact on the attendance.

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised. Wexford is as arduous a journey as Belfast. Obviously hard to guess figures attending but I would put it at between 1000-2000 Galway supporters. Those attending Antrim may be less but after last weeks debacle with the hurlers the game had taken greater significance and more will probably now attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Hurlers only had 2,000 in pearse for the Carlow game so dont see 1,000 travelling to Antrim for away game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Hurling in a bad place in Galway these days. I know there’s plenty of underage hurlers coming through in Dublin these days, but that was some hammering.

Partly expected. Missing Niland who is the best underage player since JC was bad enough but to add to that both Power and Shaughnessy (both in their final year U20) also missing made it a difficult task. Trayers looked injured also.

Least we forget same teams met 5 weeks ago and the score was 4-14 to 10points. Niland scoring 2-8. Losing players at this age its very hard to fill the gaps. Especially when it's 50% of your forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I do think people need to be prepared for Galway to slip back into the middle pack at senior for a few years like from 2006-2011. We had fantastic U-21 teams that done the business to propel us eventually to a senior All-Ireland but we're a long way off a crop like that for the foreseeable.

It was always bound to happen. We essentially had teams competing regularly in All-Ireland semi finals so the guts of 12 years. Only utterly ridiculous counties like Kilkenny can avoid that drop and stay at the top table continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭MfMan

Strong team named again for the football, if they start as selected. Nice to see Hernon make a return to the bench; extended panel is interesting also, though no McLaughlin there. Tomo, Cunningham, Sweeney not in squad, could perhaps have done with a bit more forward ooompf.

Team named. Hernon back on the bench my biggest take from it. Sweeney not in the 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Robson99

Its not looking good for the forseeable ….any decent team with legs will probably give us the runaround. Also very noticable now the loss of a player of Cannings class on the team. 9 or 10 on the panel from the 2017 panel. A lot of them could / should call it a day, a couple may have 1 more year in them. Thats a big rebuild, but one that needs to happen

Also need to start playing players of the age at u20 so as they get a chance to prove themselves… so may just have required a bit of time. As i said the future not looking good

Not a whole lot of changes. No Cathal Mannion at all. F

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭MfMan

Or his cousin Concannon. Very retro team I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Still feels like he's holding things back for "days ahead". We have the same workrate/intensity we had against Wexford we will run out of days ahead very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Listening to the football on Galway Bay FM. (They are shambolic) .

Galway doing well, was Shane Walsh playing in the 1st half?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Mighty win. Fair play to Shane Walsh, sticking it to the doubters - different class.

Pity he missed that free at the end (was a bit of a gimme for him) but stood up well in 2nd half. Hopefully Comer and Finnerty will be ok.

Was glad the linesman spotted the stamp by McKinless too it was very nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭vid36

Great win, hopefully we can push on now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

well done to the footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

McKinless should really get an extended ban for that gutless act. No place in for that in sport. Even his reaction to getting sent off, knowing he was 100% guilty, was disgraceful.

Very good performance. Looked dangerous when we moved at pace but looked a little clueless up to the sending off. Even when opportunities to move a pace and get behind them presented itself we often turned it down. Alot of positives from the game but Derry seem to have fallen off a cliff from their league form.

Hopefully Comer is just precautionary and he can have a 3 week break.

He was very central and was absolutely surrounded. He wasn't an option for a one-two for huge chunks of that first half. But he set up a point with lovely quick hands.

• Advertisement

Hoping the injuries aren't too bad. Comer's weak point is his hamstring and it seems to be that again. He needs a full break until at least Armagh. But can't be risking him either.

Advertisement