Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Yeah he was getting way too good a deal, paying considerably less than Elverys give to Mayo for more exposure when you consider Mayo aren’t participating in hurling/camogie.

Perhaps people should have a look at Supermacs second statement where they clarified the scope of the sponsorship figures published before criticizing

If he wants to do that he should run for a position at convention and stop damaging Galway GAA for personal gain when its in a weak position and trying to put things right.

How does this make sense in any world...surely damage to Galway GAA would lessen the return on his sponsorship investment and therefore be a personal loss rather than the opposite that you assert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Wegian wrote: »
    Perhaps people should have a look at Supermacs second statement where they clarified the scope of the sponsorship figures published before criticizing

What does it change?? Everyone knows the ladies organisations are seperate. The amounts in the first statement are still the anounts given to Galway GAA. This is surprisingly low given the profile of the six teams in both codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Perhaps they should have put accurate figures in the first one or clarified it then, rather than having to do so later.

Still getting far too good a deal when they are putting significantly less into the men’s hurling and football teams than Elverys put into Mayo.

I’m not defending the county board btw, I would be happy to see change there but Galway GAA needs to diversify their sponsorship too or if Supermac’s want to monopolize it, a hefty premium should be involved.

Along with some transparency around what that sponsorship entails, as far as I’m aware this year was the first year ever an all Ireland winning minor team did not come into the city, instead going directly to Mr. McDonaghs hotel in Loughrea, a halt would want to be put to that type of carry on quickly. But the fault with that lies with the county board agreeing to such nonsense of course.

Perhaps they should have put accurate figures in the first one or clarified it then, rather than having to do so later.

Still getting far too good a deal when they are putting significantly less into the men’s hurling and football teams than Elverys put into Mayo.

I’m not defending the county board btw, I would be happy to see change there but Galway GAA needs to diversify their sponsorship too or if Supermac’s want to monopolize it, a hefty premium should be involved.

Along with some transparency around what that sponsorship entails, as far as I’m aware this year was the first year ever an all Ireland winning minor team did not come into the city, instead going directly to Mr. McDonaghs hotel in Loughrea, a halt would want to be put to that type of carry on quickly. But the fault with that lies with the county board agreeing to such nonsense of course.

They did put in accurate figures, do you have information to the contrary?

Likewise, do you have some insight into a better sponsorship deal on offer to support Galway GAA that casts the Supermacs sponsorship too good a deal?

Again, a sponsor hosting a victory banquet being cast as “carry on” that needs to be halted, why?

I have no affiliation whatsoever to Supermacs but this opportunistic throwing of accusations in the direction of Galway GAAs most loyal sponsor when they rightly call for fiscal transparency and responsibility is bizzare nonsense to say the least

• Advertisement

What does it change?? Everyone knows the ladies organisations are seperate. The amounts in the first statement are still the anounts given to Galway GAA. This is surprisingly low given the profile of the six teams in both codes.

I was surprised by the amount myself, but I don’t know the terms and what the next best bid is so I don’t know if it is low or not

It doesn’t change anything apart from clarifying inaccuracies by posters on this thread stating that it includes camogie, even after the clarifying second statement

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/galway-cash-in-with-new-2m-deal-as-they-join-big-guns-in-commercial-league-36919376.html

When Galway renewed the Supermacs deal it was reported as being one of the biggest around.

They did put in accurate figures, do you have information to the contrary?

Likewise, do you have some insight into a better sponsorship deal on offer to support Galway GAA that casts the Supermacs sponsorship too good a deal?

Again, a sponsor hosting a victory banquet being cast as “carry on” that needs to be halted, why?

I have no affiliation whatsoever to Supermacs but this opportunistic throwing of accusations in the direction of Galway GAAs most loyal sponsor when they rightly call for fiscal transparency and responsibility is bizzare nonsense to say the least

You said I should have read the second statement, I am merely pointing out had the first statement been accurate there would have been no need for the clarifications in the second statement. I noticed the figures that were present in the first statement were not included when talking about the camogie and ladies football so I would think such figures are relatively modest.

Galway GAA is one of the most attractive sponsorships in the country given the high level of competitiveness the teams, senior and underage, display in all tournaments in both codes. If the county board are doing their job they should be well able to find a sponsorship deal that at least comes close to Mayo’s.

Have no problem with the sponsor hosting a banquet but it was the lack of a visit to the city, as had been done with every previous successful team, to the best of my knowledge, that was unacceptable.

To re-iterate, I would have no problem with the county board being changed, they are incompetent as far as I’m concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

If Supermacs are getting such a good deal, why did they rock the boat?

I think this has helped to bring matters to a head, between Supermacs intervention and a lack of candidates for the hurling manager it highlights the need to sort things, and not let them linger and ignore them as seems to have been the plan!

You said I should have read the second statement, I am merely pointing out had the first statement been accurate there would have been no need for the clarifications in the second statement. I noticed the figures that were present in the first statement were not included when talking about the camogie and ladies football so I would think such figures are relatively modest.

Galway GAA is one of the most attractive sponsorships in the country given the high level of competitiveness the teams, senior and underage, display in all tournaments in both codes. If the county board are doing their job they should be well able to find a sponsorship deal that at least comes close to Mayo’s.

Have no problem with the sponsor hosting a banquet but it was the lack of a visit to the city, as had been done with every previous successful team, to the best of my knowledge, that was unacceptable.

To re-iterate, I would have no problem with the county board being changed, they are incompetent as far as I’m concerned.

And I am merely pointing out that despite the clarification you still misrepresent the sponsorship deal by stating that it covers camogie

To compare with the Elverys deal makes no sense without some side by side analysis comparing terms etc, without this it is just stating that a big sponsorship number is bigger than a smaller sponsorship number which is just pub talk.

I don’t know the details of both deals but multiple reasons may explain the difference:
    Elverys have a stadium with their name on it, I don’t know of any Supermacs stadium
    Supermacs do not have a monopoly as you state, there are multiple sponsors (Kevin Burke, Bus Eireann, Claregalway Hotel....)

There are multiple agendas at play with this mess but the anti-Supermacs one is an agenda I struggle to make sense of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭briandebum

There are multiple agendas at play with this mess but the anti-Supermacs one is an agenda I struggle to make sense of

I'd be of a similar view to yourself, however was discussing this with my auld lad the last day who'd be fairly clued into things. He said last year there was a tech company based in galway willing to sponsor us. Apparently Supermacs threw up a fuss as they wished to be the sole sponsor of Galway GAA and that was that.

That being said i wholeheartedly agree with Supermacs calling out the board. There's just too much smoke for there not to be fire. Besides they have nothing to gain by making these statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/galway-finances-again-under-the-spotlight-956352.html

I'm a little confused as to what is supposedly being proposed. Do they want a new audit or do they want the old audit released in full?

I can understand people wanting those who were acting the maggot named but it doesn't seem worth it if the end result is going to be the board spending a fortune on solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

spurshero wrote: »
    Supermacs are getting bang for there buck . Supposedly elverys give mayo 450 k a year . Supermac gives around 300 k a year but he gets a lot more exposure. His name is on every jersey as far as I know including all camogie and hurling teams . Then a lot of gaa related stuff ends up back at his loughrea hotel and his branches get plenty of business out of family gaa days out. No fool our Supermac in the long run he’s making money out of his association with Galway gaa in my opinion

Not to mention the deal supermac gets with having his fast food wagons in pearse stadium .
    Also the " agreement " he has with all galway teams to go back to his supermac restaurants on their way back from games .
    He got the sponsorship of galway gaa for a low figure .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Not to mention the deal supermac gets with having his fast food wagons in pearse stadium .
    Also the " agreement " he has with all galway teams to go back to his supermac restaurants on their way back from games .
    He got the sponsorship of galway gaa for a low figure .

Surely that is his hotel or something, they are hardly sending teams for a chicken sandwich and curry cheese chip in the local supermacs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

tototoe wrote: »
    Surely that is his hotel or something, they are hardly sending teams for a chicken sandwich and curry cheese chip in the local supermacs?

He made the Camogie girls go to the Kinnegad plaza after they won the final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

DVDM93 wrote: »

Which also means there is a vacancy for U20 manager now

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Ideally they'd leave that to john Divilly and have some continuity between u20 and seniors. Might not work out time wise though.

Ideally they'd leave that to john Divilly and have some continuity between u20 and seniors. Might not work out time wise though.

If Divilly doesn't go with him who is in the backroom team. Some have said Flynn withdrew his name due to joining this ticket? Who else is in there and wasn't there hassle over his backroom team already with the CB.

• Advertisement

I presume Divilly is still with UCD so hard to see how he would have time to coach the Galway U-20's as well as the senior squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A little too soon be giving PJ the senior gig? Having Divilly with him is a big help I can imagine.

U20s to be managed by Stephen Joyce?

threeball wrote: »
    If Divilly doesn't go with him who is in the backroom team. Some have said Flynn withdrew his name due to joining this ticket? Who else is in there and wasn't there hassle over his backroom team already with the CB.

Joyce, Divilly, Michéal Ó Domhnaill and John Concannon is apparently the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I always thought Divilly alone was a reasonably strong candidate for the job on his own, so am treating this very much as a double act. He gives confidence he can cover the more technical gameplay elements, whereas PJ will command respect and bring enthusiasm both amongst players and supporters. The U20s were attracting support last year that the seniors were barely getting and that was all down to a confidence in PJ and style of play. It's not a perfect outcome but am reasonably happy and looking forward to next year now

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I always thought Divilly alone was a reasonably strong candidate for the job on his own, so am treating this very much as a double act. He gives confidence he can cover the more technical gameplay elements, whereas PJ will command respect and bring enthusiasm both amongst players and supporters. The U20s were attracting support last year that the seniors were barely getting and that was all down to a confidence in PJ and style of play. It's not a perfect outcome but am reasonably happy and looking forward to next year now

It's definitely a double act. Divilly will have substantial influence above and beyond being a regular "selector".

PJ probably got the job earlier than he expected or even wanted but he's no idiot. Done very well for himself in business.

Lots of talent coming through but they'll need time so hopefully the new management get the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

It's definitely a double act. Divilly will have substantial influence above and beyond being a regular "selector".

PJ probably got the job earlier than he expected or even wanted but he's no idiot. Done very well for himself in business.

Lots of talent coming through but they'll need time so hopefully the new management get the support.

No such thing as time in Intercounty Management. Needs a successful first season building on what Walsh achieved. This is not a team in transition by any means.

Frozen Veg wrote: »

No such thing as time in Intercounty Management. Needs a successful first season building on what Walsh achieved. This is not a team in transition by any means.

Exactly. You get away with that at underage but senior is a results based business. KW found that out as well. His two all Irelands bought him a little wriggle room but once the results weren't coming the public weren't long letting him know. I'd expect PJ's two all Irelands will buy him nothing extra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

threeball wrote: »
    Exactly. You get away with that at underage but senior is a results based business. KW found that out as well. His two all Irelands bought him a little wriggle room but once the results weren't coming the public weren't long letting him know. I'd expect PJ's two all Irelands will buy him nothing extra

If anything it’ll raise expectations on him.
    Any gallery on the hurling job, or will it run and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

One thing for certain with Joyce is he will quash some of the egos in the dressing room. No harm. Less of the Instagram for the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Hurling board meeting last night;

County delegates have asked Pat Kearney & John Fahy to approach Forde/Larkin to take the position.

A motion from the floor asked if MOD would come back.

Advertisement