Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Supposedly there is big revelations coming.

Think Supermacs are getting on the right side of it before sh1t really hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Won’t load.will someone give synopsis please

It lists the funding per year and the amount given.

It asks what happened the money.Did it go the teams or did the county board spend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hopefully a local medical company's decision not to get involved is brought to light. Allegedly some light research on the county board led them to retracting a six figure sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Skimmed milk they are running on in hurling and football for years I’d say with the fat cats in the county board thriving on the cream.
    A fcukin farce the lot of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Supermac’s Statement01 OCT 2019

Statement re Galway GAA Finances

Following questions by the general public and delegates in relation to the Supermac’s sponsorship of Galway GAA, Supermac’s would like to detail that the amount of sponsorship given by Supermac’s to Galway GAA for the sponsored teams over the past 5 years to date is over €1.25m in direct payments plus over €340,000 in ancillary sponsorship. This is broken down as follows:

2015                      €200,0002016                      €229,0002017                      €258,3002018                      €322,7982019*                    €248,158Total Direct         €1,258,256Ancillary**          €341,170Total                     €1,599,426

*year to date
    **Ancillary sponsorship includes facilitating fundraising events, schools and club’s sponsorship

Supermac’s would like to seek clarification from the Galway County Board as to how this money was spent. Specifically, have the players and management benefitted or has the county board benefitted?

Supermac’s raised financial concerns with the Galway County Board 4 years ago.

Supermac’s understands that 2 investigations have taken place into the finances of Galway GAA; One conducted by Galway GAA and a second conducted by Mazars. Supermac’s is calling for these investigations to be made public immediately. The vast majority of the Galway GAA public and mentors, who give their time voluntarily for the promotion and administration of our games and the welfare of our players, deserve no less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I knew it would get deleted, not to worry, I copied it for said reason. Spread it far & wide lads.

Following questions by the general public and delegates in relation to the Supermac’s sponsorship of Galway GAA, Supermac’s would like to detail that the amount of sponsorship given by Supermac’s to Galway GAA for the sponsored teams over the past 5 years to date is over €1.25m in direct payments plus over €340,000 in ancillary sponsorship. This is broken down as follows:

2015                      €200,0002016                      €229,0002017                      €258,3002018                      €322,7982019*                    €248,158Total Direct         €1,258,256Ancillary**          €341,170Total                     €1,599,426

*year to date
    **Ancillary sponsorship includes facilitating fundraising events, schools and club’s sponsorship

Supermac’s would like to seek clarification from the Galway County Board as to how this money was spent. Specifically, have the players and management benefitted or has the county board benefitted?

Supermac’s understands that 2 investigations have taken place into the finances of Galway GAA; One conducted by Galway GAA and a second conducted by Mazars. Supermac’s is calling for these investigations to be made public immediately. The vast majority of the Galway GAA public and mentors, who give their time voluntarily for the promotion and administration of our games and the welfare of our players, deserve no less.

It hasn't been deleted

2015 €200,000

2016 €229,000

2017 €258,300

2018 €322,798

2019* €248,158
    Total Direct
    €1,258,256

Ancillary** €341,170
    Total

*year to date

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Fairly loaded question asking has the county board benefitted?

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I knew it would get deleted, not to worry, I copied it for said reason. Spread it far & wide lads.

*year to date

It hasn't been deleted

I retract my opening statement, wasn't loading for a lot of people for a while there though so said I'd copy & paste it here for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭threeball

Hopefully a local medical company's decision not to get involved is brought to light. Allegedly some light research on the county board led them to retracting a six figure sponsorship.

Is that verified or just another story that grew legs. I was only saying on here two weeks ago that we should be going after Medtronics or Boston Scientific.

I don't think the Supermacs statement is strong enough to get movement from the board. They'll just sit tight and wait for the storm to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Interesting amount of sponsorship per year.

This compares to 800,000 form AIG to Dublin GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Well done to supermacs for finally getting onto the county board the thieving bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

JJJackal wrote: »
    Interesting amount of sponsorship per year.

This compares to 800,000 form AIG to Dublin GAA

Is that 800k per year or in total over the same period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

donnem33 wrote: »
    Is that 800k per year or in total over the same period?

I think that is per year from 2017

I says wrote: »
    Well done to supermacs for finally getting onto the county board the thieving bastards

Unusual turn of phrase in the statement, "have the players benefited or have the county board benefitted". This to me implies the Mcdonagh knows that there's more pocketing of money happening in the CB. I'd expect this to have a follow up in the coming days as I don't see the board responding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

cosatron wrote: »
    Did Portumna not get spanked in all there group games this year. Only avoided relegation due to gort being in disarray. The whole focus of competitive hurling is that at the start of the year, you have a group of players who believe they can achieve something positive from the year, and do you not think if we had 16 senior teams playing competive hurling and 16 intermediate teams playing competive hurling not serve up better standard of hurling in both levels

But dividing senior into 2 does assure competitive games all round. That's the whole point of it. The idea is to get as many teams as possible playing to a high a standard as possible. Senior B is far more attractive for club players than intermediate. Ok fair enough portumna were an anomaly this year but every other team won group points.

Anyhow I've given my take on it, you disagree fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Will the tribune mention it Thursday

threeball wrote: »
    Unusual turn of phrase in the statement, "have the players benefited or have the county board benefitted". This to me implies the Mcdonagh knows that there's more pocketing of money happening in the CB. I'd expect this to have a follow up in the coming days as I don't see the board responding.

There is supposedly as Prime Time investigation on the way.

Supermacs are distancing themselves from the situation to avoid any reputational damage and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It will be used to buy sticks and nets and coach kids, not to bring county board officials families on holidays.

Check the mote in your eye, my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

About time someone turned the heat up on those crooks

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It will be used to buy sticks and nets and coach kids, not to bring county board officials families on holidays.

I'd love to know what you're on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Alan Flynn has removed himself from the running for the Galway job (football).

Bonniedog wrote: »

Paranoid much ??

It was on finnegan there lads.
    Worth a listen.
    County board claiming all is well and they have already been audited.
    Gone to ground like a fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

That interview didnt inspire confidence. Not sure why this wasnt raised by McDonagh previously however. By all accounts his concerns stem from pre 2018 spend. Croke Park have been running and controlling Galway finances since late last year so surely its them that should be answering some questions?

Unfortunately these issues don't just stop with financial control.

Governance issues also extend to fixtures planning, administration of championships and other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm a little conflicted about that Supermacs statement. On one hand it's obviously embarrassing that our most important sponsor feels that they have to issue statements like that but it would give you some hope that we might finally get told just what the hell was going on.

It's hard to believe that someone at Supermacs hasn't seen at least one of the reports mentioned in the statement but even if they haven't I'm sure they are getting enough information to have a good understanding of how money was mismanaged over the years.

The frustrating thing is that it's become increasingly obvious that the line about there not being enough money is only half the story. There's a lot of money in Galway GAA but a lot has been wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I’m sure this is only the start a lot of other county boards will be breathing heavily in the next few weeks and months.
    Those lovely people who voted against reinstating keady all those years ago have a sponsor asking questions as well, to the tune of withholding a quarter million.

• Advertisement

Response from Galway County board

Galway GAA is disappointed with the statement, released by long-serving county sponsor, Supermacs, last night, relating to the sponsorship of our county teams.
    The Galway County Committee acknowledges the long-standing, generous support of Pat McDonagh and Supermacs to Galway GAA, which has been beneficial to both parties.

Galway GAA are happy to confirm that sponsorship, contributed by Supermacs, went towards the preparation of all our inter-county teams in both codes. For purposes of clarity, the board would like to point out that in excess of €7.4m has been spent by Galway GAA in the preparation of the football and hurling teams, to the highest standards, over the course of the last five seasons, Supermacs Sponsorship has made a valued contribution to this overall cost.

Our teams have been involved in All-Ireland semi-finals and finals in that period, ensuring long and high-profile campaigns, over the course of the summers in question.

In addition to team preparation costs, there has also been significant capital expenditure on training facilities.

Galway GAA has overseen a review of its financial operation in recent months, with the assistance of the GAA at Central Level. We are currently implementing the findings of the 2018 Mazars Report, which highlighted previous governance deficiencies in Galway GAA. This has been overseen by a representative from Croke Park, and ensures that the highest standards of financial and accounting practices are now in place. As a consequence, we have appointed a new Finance and Operations Manager, who commenced employment last month. In addition to this, an Audit Committee with Galway, Connacht and Croke Park representation is in place to independently monitor corporate governance practices in Galway GAA.

We look forward to having the opportunity to discuss these matters with Pat McDonagh directly.

Galway GAA will be making no further comment.

Le dea-ghuí,

Pat Kearney
    County Chairman, Galway GAA

Advertisement