Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭threeball

threeball wrote: »
    Portumna are in free fall. Sarsfields and athenry are middle of the road. Clarinbridge are bouncing back towards the top. St Thomas's are still in the mix to win it again.

portumna and castlegar have retained their senior A status for 2020, Kiltormer are still intermediate.

Portumna was skin of their teeth stuff against a Gort team in total disarray due to infighting. I think it's the only game they won all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Portumna was skin of their teeth stuff against a Gort team in total disarray due to infighting. I think it's the only game they won all year.

you are correct, the only game they won, damien hayes has retired now, ollie still playing, team on the older side, was surprised they won to be honest

Ollie Turner was going on about a Kilconly Milltown amalgation on the radio today. I knew milltown were keen, but kilconly less so. Anyone know if it's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

No supermac vans in the stadium today....

No supermac vans in the stadium today....

No hurling manager, no football manager, no sponsor???

• Advertisement

threeball wrote:

One of the officials at the match I know said a new sponsor is "sorted" but knowing the ****e that is going around Galway it's probably as true as Elvis been seen in Tuam.

threeball wrote:

One of the officials at the match I know said a new sponsor is "sorted" but knowing the ****e that is going around Galway it's probably as true as Elvis been seen in Tuam.

That is sh1te. No one sources a new sponsor in a week unless it's for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭irishgeo

That is sh1te. No one sources a new sponsor in a week unless it's for next to nothing.

Galway county board logo on the jersey.

irishgeo wrote:

With the ego of our county board it wouldn't surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Back on the playing fields we have a Corofin Tuam Stars county final in 2 weeks time. Some Tuam supporters I've spoken to think they're going to be the ones to stop the 7 in a row, can't see it happening, Corofin just starting to up the gears at the moment, think they'll win by 7-10 points.

• Advertisement

Back on the playing fields we have a Corofin Tuam Stars county final in 2 weeks time. Some Tuam supporters I've spoken to think they're going to be the ones to stop the 7 in a row, can't see it happening, Corofin just starting to up the gears at the moment, think they'll win by 7-10 points.

Tuam impressed me today. Thought Moycullen would win but Tuam have a very effective gameplan. But as you said it's impossible to see past Corofin. Second half of the intermediate game today was a great game. May be calling this way to early but Matt Tierney is going to Superstar. Sean Devir gave a great game for MB too.

irishgeo wrote: »

They probably have enough in the boot of the car to keep us funded for 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭MfMan

What in-fighting is going on in Gort? Wouldn't be like them, would it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Tony Ward has withdrawn his nomination to be Galway Senior Hurling manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Tony Ward has withdrawn his nomination to be Galway Senior Hurling manager.

Well with Larkin and Forde saying they will only take job of the county chairman steps aside it looks like we have currently 0 runners for the manager of Galway senior hurlers . Some laughing stock we have turned into

spurshero wrote: »
    Well with Larkin and Forde saying they will only take job of the county chairman steps aside it looks like we have currently 0 runners for the manager of Galway senior hurlers . Some laughing stock we have turned into

Chairman won't go. Which means the solution is to wait till the AGM in December to remove him. Other solution is the county board will go outside those nominated and recruit a manager. It would seen this to be the most likely.

MfMan wrote: »
    What in-fighting is going on in Gort? Wouldn't be like them, would it?

Not sure. I heard off numerous people there was serious blow ups in camp. No cohesion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

That's laughable tbh. One of the highest profile jobs in hurling (based on the county's potential for all-ireland success) and we won't have any nominees. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mjp

RMAOK wrote:
    That's laughable tbh. One of the highest profile jobs in hurling (based on the county's potential for all-ireland success) and we won't have any nominees.

Football job mightn't be whole lot better. We're making a holy show of ourselves and need the gaa public in Galway to rally and look to oust the current board. Nothing I'll happen unless they are put under pressure to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There isn’t one in the country who will touch the hurling job.
    Imagine that.recent all Ireland winners and they can’t get a manager all on account of a dirty rotten county board.
    A major cull is wanted.
    One of the best managers in the country in Michael Donoghue and they managed to fcuk that up aswell.
    2 nominations for the football job.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robert2014

Surely this all has to come to a head now. Time for the County Board to go and root and branch reform. How can we expect our senior teams to compete when things are like this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

All three candidates nominated for the Galway Senior Hurling Manager's position have decided to withdraw from the process to select the new manager. Outgoing selectors Noel Larkin (Meelick/Eyrecourt) and Francis Forde (Turloughmore), along with Tony Ward (Sarsfields) were the three names in the hat.

On Monday, former Galway Senior Camogie & Galway U21 hurling manager Tony Ward indicated that he was not going forward to the Interview process and now comes the news that both Noel Larkin and Francis Forde have also pulled out of the race to become Senior manager.

Interviews with the candidates had expected to be set up imminently but this decision by the three nominees to withdraw will serve to both elongate the process to find a successor to Micheal Donoghue as well as adding further scrutiny to the fallout since the departure of the 2017 All Ireland winning manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Back to nominations with the clubs again so?

On the upside we should be in a Connacht final even if I took over the footballers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I can't understand why the likes of Pat Kearney won't step down. What exactly is keeping him in the role? The Sponsor has come out and basically accused you of mismanaging finances, at best. Managers are refusing to put their name forward and the general public wants blood. What exactly is the upside of subjecting yourself to this embarrassment? Croke Park have taken over the finances so it's not as if more money can be swindled away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not that I expect him to go easily but surely Kearney's position is untenable now? I would be very surprised if anyone from Galway puts themselves forward now. A situation that cannot continue when intercounty squads are a back doing training programs next month. Meanwhile Galway have no management team and no sign of that changing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I can't understand why the likes of Pat Kearney won't step down. What exactly is keeping him in the role? The Sponsor has come out and basically accused you of mismanaging finances, at best. Managers are refusing to put their name forward and the general public wants blood. What exactly is the upside of subjecting yourself to this embarrassment? Croke Park have taken over the finances so it's not as if more money can be swindled away

Deserves all the criticism in the world as regards the management situation but very wrong, inaccurate and dangerous with your insinuations regards finance. They are legacy issues that predates his chairmanship. He called in CP to look into it. That needs to be very clear and seperated from the incompetence in other areas despite the opportunistic timing of Supermacs statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

He was in-situ at the time of the Ed Sheeran gigs was he not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Deserves all the criticism in the world as regards the management situation but very wrong, inaccurate and dangerous with your insinuations regards finance. They are legacy issues that predates his chairmanship. He called in CP to look into it. That needs to be very clear and seperated from the incompetence in other areas despite the opportunistic timing of Supermacs statement.

Agreed. For all the flaws the current executive may have the audit last year exposed a lot of bad behaviour that was costing Galway GAA fortunes. Kearney did facilitate that audit happening even though it would have been easier politically for him to try and bury it and pretend everything was hunky dory.

Advertisement