Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Hurling board meeting last night;

County delegates have asked Pat Kearney & John Fahy to approach Forde/Larkin to take the position.

A motion from the floor asked if MOD would come back.

Could it get anymore comical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I says wrote: »

County delegates have asked Pat Kearney & John Fahy to approach Forde/Larkin to take the position.

Could it get anymore comical

When I seen it I just rolled my eyes tbh, it's a fcuking circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    One thing for certain with Joyce is he will quash some of the egos in the dressing room. No harm. Less of the Instagram for the lads.

Why would you think that? Joyce is hardly shy of social media. As much as I worship him, if I was telling any of them to be cutting down on the tweeting it'd be Joyce himself. Or remove himself from the medium altogether now he's in the role

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

MD is no fool.
    He hasn’t a notion of going back I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Frozen Veg wrote:
    One thing for certain with Joyce is he will quash some of the egos in the dressing room. No harm. Less of the Instagram for the lads.

From speaking with some of the guys involved in minor setup during Joyce's reign and Donal o fathartas time they say that o fatharta wipes the floor with Joyce on his player management and tactical awareness. Will be interesting if both go for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭threeball

mjp wrote: »
    Frozen Veg wrote:

From speaking with some of the guys involved in minor setup during Joyce's reign and Donal o fathartas time they say that o fatharta wipes the floor with Joyce on his player management and tactical awareness. Will be interesting if both go for the job.

Don't know much about O Fatharta but I've always found Joyce's analysis of games when working as a pundit to be well off the mark. Remains to be seen but I'm convinced he needs a top end coach pulling the strings behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

How in the name of god did sarsfields get to a county q final. They were beyond poor . Mellows didn’t have to get out of second gear and won’t know where they really are till a fortnights time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭cosatron

Frozen Veg wrote:

Padraic joyce never managed the u 18 it was stephen joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

spurshero wrote: »
    How in the name of god did sarsfields get to a county q final. They were beyond poor . Mellows didn’t have to get out of second gear and won’t know where they really are till a fortnights time

When are semis on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

MfMan wrote: »
    When are semis on?

In a fortnight.

Probably a double header in athenry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

When are semis on?

This day 2 weeks double header in Athenry is the word

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

cosatron wrote:
    Padraic joyce never managed the u 18 it was stephen joyce.

You getting wrong end of the stick. We talking bout Stephen Joyce here and not padraig Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You getting wrong end of the stick. We talking bout Stephen Joyce here and not padraig Joyce.
    So which one of them wrote Ulysses?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Two cracking semi-finals in store for the SHC. All four sides will fancy their chances now.

Liam Mellows v Cappataggle
    St Thomas' v Turloughmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

When are semis on?

Two weeks time double header in Athenry on bank holiday sunday.

Two fascinating matches, very hard to call. Both games really could go either way.

There'll be a humongous crowd in Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Galway Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final Fixtures

Double header in Kenny Park on Sunday, October 27.

Cappataggle v Liam Mellows (1.30pm)
    St Thomas' v Turloughmore (3.15pm)

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I see Roscommon have followed recent trends and appointed a commercial manager. Is there a need for Galway to follow suit or is Gottsche responsible for those areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

jr86 wrote: »
    Two weeks time double header in Athenry on bank holiday sunday.

Two fascinating matches, very hard to call. Both games really could go either way.

There'll be a humongous crowd in Athenry

Not according to the turnstiles:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Can someone enlighten me, what is a ticket debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Can someone enlighten me, what is a ticket debt?

The county board owed Croke part for their allocation of AI final tickets from 2017.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/galway-pay-390k-to-croke-park-for-all-ireland-ticket-debt-887008.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The ticket was there at the end of 2016.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/treasurer-hits-out-unauthorised-use-13749053

"He also highlighted a debt of almost half a million euro to Croke Park over tickets - which was paid a year later.

Burke continued: “In relation to the lack of control over tickets, I was absolutely shocked to learn that tickets drawn down by Galway GAA [from Croke Park] to the value of €440k in 2016 were not paid for until well over a year later."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Francis Forde & Noel Larkin have reiterated their stance and will not be taking charge of the Galway Senior Hurlers in 2020.

Former All-Star and Galway manager Noel Lane was tasked by Galway hurling board to contact the pair and see if they would take over the team.

This comes after the pair withdrew their names from the nomination process last week.
    Hurling delegates were hopeful that a fresh approach to Forde and Larkin, which would involve them taking the job without a formal interview process, would be successful and that they could be ratified this week.

However, a Galway hurling board spokesperson confirmed that Forde and Larkin are not for turning.

A special meeting of Galway hurling board has been called for this evening when a new approach will be undertaken.

It is believed that many clubs did not make nominations initially because of a belief that Wexford manager Davy Fitzgerald was likely to take over, while there was also a reluctance by clubs to stand in the way of Forde and Larkin if they wished to continue.

Successful underage managers Jeffrey Lynskey and Brian Hanley are among a number of candidates who are now likely to be proposed as Galway try to put a management team in place just two years after winning the All-Ireland title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭testtech05

A bit more "detail" in this on the 42 aswell, really is turning into a pantomime as if it hadn't already I suppose. Fair play to the 2 lads for sticking to their position I think.
    I'm not convinced nomination were being held back by the clubs previously to be honest. Be interesting to see what names they end up with this time round.

https://www.the42.ie/galway-hurling-manager-forde-larkin-4851572-Oct2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Managed to get to all the hurling quarters
    Turlough impressive but faced very little resistance from senior B Craughwell. C’well had some momentum built up, but clearly beating senior B teams handy is zero preparation for challenging the top sides. Anyone with any ambition of challenging for the title need to be up in A hurling.

Thomas’s were really made to dig it out by a hugely committed and dogged, however ultimately wasteful, Tommies. Thomas’s not at the races at all and lucky enough to progress

Mellows and Sars was a complete turkey shoot. Sars look a poor senior B team without the Cooneys unfortunately.

Cappy the most impressive side all weekend. Have now accounted for the Bridge and Lrea which is seriously impressive.

The best county player on show all weekend was Whelan for Kinvara. Not many standouts in the senior. Conor Cooney and David Burke (cracking sideline aside) were peripheral for Thomas’s and Flynn was well held in open play by Shane Cooney. Loftus and Daithi weren’t standout for Turlough but didn’t really need to be. Tadhg Haran was well held from play by Hynes yesterday.

From the players not involved with Galway yet the Mannions, Darragh Dolan (Cappy), Jack Hastings (Mellows), Ronan Murphy and kevin McHugo (Larkins) stood out in particular. Flannery from Thomas’s is a huge prospect also. For Turlough, Daniel Loftus looked good and Conor Walsh had his moments.

The semis will be very hard to call. Cappy won’t lack motivation anyway. Still don’t know how they didn’t beat Mellows last year, but Mellows now have the defending champions target off their backs and have been very impressive in the knockouts this year (even accounting for Sarsfields’ horrific showing). I actually think Mellows might just grind it out again. They’re seriously lacking ball winners up front though apart from Haran but the half back-line of Collins, Barrett, Hughes and midfield of Hastings and Forde are the best in the county on form. Gus Callanan and Conor Kav are rolling back the years too, when they get a sniff in the opposition 21.

Big ask for Donovan and Reilly to hold the Mannions though. Really is so hard to call

The other is equally tough to call. Thomas’s won their quarter in ideal circumstances, playing awful and grinding it out late on. Turlough simply weren’t challenged. On form it’s a Turlough win but Thomas’s have been down this road before and experience may just edge them over the line. Need much more from the Burkes and Cooney though. They are extremely lucky minor Flannery bailed them out with crucial scores Saturday. I can’t see Toms playing as badly again though and this is new territory for most of this Turlough side

Can’t see Thomas’s losing a county final so if they’re going to be caught it’ll be Sunday week.

Absolutely cannot wait now. The 4 best teams in the county in the semis – there’ll be a massive crowd and great atmosphere

Worth noting in the minor Ardrahan, Oranmore and Carnmore are all in the semis. Great to see new blood in with a shout of winning it

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Where to now with the main job so...

Ward, Forde and Larkin seem to be gone but it would be great if the minds of Forde/Larkin could be changed

Mulqueen likely to be nominated

Lynskey, talks that he going in with Clare and regardless he doesn’t appear to have popular support

Cathal Murray, strong reputation build with a county title and an AI

Anthony Daly, now a free agent, potential to be a uniting force given he is neutral

Kevin Lally, good club reputation build and has TJ Ryan on the line also

Eddie Brennan would be a gamble IMO

It’s an unenviable task to find the chosen one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Wegian wrote: »
    Where to now with the main job so...

Ward, Forde and Larkin seem to be gone but it would be great if the minds of Forde/Larkin could be changed

Mulqueen likely to be nominated

Lynskey, talks that he going in with Clare and regardless he doesn’t appear to have popular support

Cathal Murray, strong reputation build with a county title and an AI

Anthony Daly, now a free agent, potential to be a uniting force given he is neutral

Kevin Lally, good club reputation build and has TJ Ryan on the line also

Eddie Brennan would be a gamble IMO

It’s an unenviable task to find the chosen one

No one left only Bang over the Bar Cyril

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Robson99 wrote: »
    No one left only Bang over the Bar Cyril

It would be nuts to a monkey Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭threeball

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Time for all teams to threaten to strike unless the board is removed. That's Hurlers, footballers, camogie, the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

threeball wrote: »
    Time for all teams to threaten to strike unless the board is removed. That's Hurlers, footballers, camogie, the lot.

Camogies is a completly seperate entity with their own county board.

Advertisement