Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Joe Henry

Will they play the Comer v Village match next weekend or play the two semi finals together, would anyone have a clue what day the intermediate semi finals are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Joe Henry wrote: »
    Will they play the Comer v Village match next weekend or play the two semi finals together, would anyone have a clue what day the intermediate semi finals are on.

Intermediate semi finals down for next Saturday. Mvat/OLG replay is fixed for bennettsbridge Saturday. Shamrocks/clara in Danesfort on Sunday while village/comer is a double header with junior semi final on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭blackcard

Ballyragget back intermediate after losing to Bennettsbridge by 7 points. Couldn't handle Liam Blanchfield who was outstanding. Bridge were up 11 at half time, a Kevin Kelly goal from a free gave Ballyragget hope but Bridge saw it out. Don't think Ballyragget will be coming back soon. Ciaran Brennan got 3 excellent points, hopefully he keeps growing as he is a lovely hurler, still 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭blackcard

Intermediate semi finals down for next Saturday. Mvat/OLG replay is fixed for bennettsbridge Saturday. Shamrocks/clara in Danesfort on Sunday while village/comer is a double header with junior semi final on Sunday.

Surely both senior semi finals will be a double header in the Park Sunday week?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Ballyhale v village final.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Saw good few of the games this weekend across all three grades.

Went out to Martins vs Gowran on Saturday, it was a total washout, Gowran arguably a bit better but were certainly a smaller team which didn't suit the conditions, they showed that little bit more in extra time and I thought they deserved to win on the balance, though Mick Walsh was quite solid for them at the back throughout and Kehoe was a handful throughout.

Into the park then for the two games, again conditions played a huge part in both games, I don't buy into this talk that Mullinavat have had their chance, if anything their two most dangerous forwards in John Walsh and Ger Malone didn't contribute a whole amount from play, I can actually see them improving on Saturday.. no doubt O' Loughlins have a big scope for improvement aswell, they're probably a little bit less settled due to the injury to Huw Lawlor and team selection could decide a lot on Saturday, will be interesting to see if they make any changes as in my opinion 4 of their forwards showed little to nothing in the park.

Comer vs Boro was actually an enthralling game in many ways as it was Comer at their dogged, determined best, when on form like that they are just so hard to beat. Their backs are just outstanding and Conor Delaney is a colussus at 6. They don't offer a huge spread of scorers up the pitch but the way they play doesn't demand huge scoring threat, they are happy to grind teams down and leave the scoring to two or three guys out the pitch. The Boro will be very disappointed with how it went for them, I think they tried to rise above the shenanigans and off the ball stuff that Comer brought to the table but unfortunately all that did was enliven Comer, I think after last years quarter finals Comer vs the the Village could be a real fiery affair.

On Sunday I saw the Village against the Rower, the Village showed a real scoring threat in the first half and caused lots of problems with direct ball, to counteract this the Rower seemed to drop a man back or at least play a deep midfielder, this allowed Eoin Larkin to thunder into the game, he was absolutely magnificent I thought, Conor Browne also played very well in the first half and again in the last 10 minutes. The Rower fought their way back into it in the second half with Richie Leahy playing his part with some great scores and play out the field. Thought the Village were the better team overall and deserved their win.

I couldn't call next weeks Semi between Comer and the Village, Comer obviously bet them last year and really dominated those two games in terms of physicality, the Village have more of a mix of smaller, speedier guys as well as their Jackies, Larkins, Matthew Ruth, Browne etc so it could be a really intense battle. Some might say this could be the last chance for some of the Village older brigade to make a final, whether that is a motivator or an extra pressure I dont know.

Finally I was at the Conahy Slieverue Junior Semi final, I thought over the course of the 60 Conahy just showed more, once they got on top of the Slieverue half forward line the South men didnt have enough variation in their game and it cost them. James Bergin was outstanding for Conahy well I thought Spud Rockett and the corner forward Phelan looked decent for Slieverue, i'd fancy Conahy to go up from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Ballyhale v village final.?

Conditions could play their part.comer backs and work rate will test the village forwards in ways they might find difficult. Comer to sneak a dogfight

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭conor05

Conditions could play their part.comer backs and work rate will test the village forwards in ways they might find difficult. Comer to sneak a dogfight

I fancy Comer to win the Kilkenny SHC this year. They seemed doubly determined and are even more dogged than last year.

It won’t be easy won, but there is something about them.

conor05 wrote: »
    I fancy Comer to win the Kilkenny SHC this year. They seemed doubly determined and are even more dogged than last year.

It won’t be easy won, but there is something about them.
    If ballyhale get over next weekend. They won't be stopped but they have a tough few days ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Comerman

the shenanigans and off the ball stuff that Comer brought to the table

Eh! 🀔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Saw good few of the games this weekend across all three grades.

Went out to Martins vs Gowran on Saturday, it was a total washout, Gowran arguably a bit better but were certainly a smaller team which didn't suit the conditions, they showed that little bit more in extra time and I thought they deserved to win on the balance, though Mick Walsh was quite solid for them at the back throughout and Kehoe was a handful throughout.
    Fair play for going to the Park after this game. I was soaked to the bone and couldn't even contemplate going to another game after this one. Can't remember suffering through weather like that for a game in years. It was horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Neewollah

Anyone have a report on the John Lockes and Tullogher game? Serious win for Callan after all their off field issues.

Despite the conditions I though the 2 senior games were a great watch on Saturday. Mullinavat had their chances but there is definitely room to improve for both sides. Comer gave an exhibition of teamwork and how to defend. To win a match scoring 1-8 no matter what the conditions is a credit to them. The Boro really had no answers and have flattered to deceive since winning the championship 2 years ago. Comer have conceded 2-9 and 1-6 in the last 2 games against teams with good forwards. Would make them slight favourites against the Village as they will give them an extra defender with their sweeper.

Bennettsbridge had a deserved win in the relegation final. They were excellent in the 1st half but St Patrick's discipline was their main issue. Liam Blanchfield was a constant threat. Only scored 1 point but won penalty and 5 or 6 frees easily. Bad year for St Patricks after some many years of trying to get to senior they went down badly in the end. Hard for them to bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

Neewollah wrote: »

The Boro really had no answers and have flattered to deceive since winning the championship 2 years ago.

That is a bit rough on Dicksboro, beaten at quarterfinal stage last year by eventual champions, who also went on to win the club All-Ireland (after finishing 2nd in their league group and winning the Shield Final), this year they won the League Final and did under perform against Erin's Own but as Erins Own showed last year, they are in the top four teams in Kilkenny currently.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sir Chaz

Neewollah wrote: »
    Anyone have a report on the John Lockes and Tullogher game? Serious win for Callan after their off field issues.

Callan won 1-10 to 1-09 in awful conditions. Were the better team throughout and showed serious hunger and desire. Callan Went 0-3 up but then conceded a freak goal from a long range free but scored an outstanding goal immediately after from Padraic Purcell. Led 1-6 to 1-3 at half time and missed a few frees. Wally scored 1 great point but otherwise was well held by Cathal McGrath.

Tullogher played with the wind 2nd half and drew level with about 10 minutes left but Callan then scored 3 on the trot before Tullogher scored 2 close in frees to make it a one point game. Callan held out for a deserved victory after a long range free went wide from Conor Hennessy which sparked huge celebrations and relief from the large Callan support.

Callan’s best were the 2 McGraths (How Eoin is not in the senior panel is just amazing), Tony Delaney, and young Conor Murphy in the forwards. Wally tried hard for Tullogher as did Pat Hartley, Richie Dollard and John Cotterill but they struggled badly for scores in the forwards.

The maor uisce for the Boro was a disgrace last Saturday he was totally tried to get to the ref everytime there was a tackle it did not go there way. They had some back room team last Saturday they were nearly tripping over one another, fair play to all the teams that togged out Saturday it was an awfull day the weather does not look any better for this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sir Chaz wrote: »
    Callan won 1-10 to 1-09 in awful conditions. Were the better team throughout and showed serious hunger and desire. Callan Went 0-3 up but then conceded a freak goal from a long range free but scored an outstanding goal immediately after from Padraic Purcell. Led 1-6 to 1-3 at half time and missed a few frees. Wally scored 1 great point but otherwise was well held by Cathal McGrath.

Tullogher played with the wind 2nd half and drew level with about 10 minutes left but Callan then scored 3 on the trot before Tullogher scored 2 close in frees to make it a one point game. Callan held out for a deserved victory after a long range free went wide from Conor Hennessy which sparked huge celebrations and relief from the large Callan support.

Callan’s best were the 2 McGraths (How Eoin is not in the senior panel is just amazing), Tony Delaney, and young Conor Murphy in the forwards. Wally tried hard for Tullogher as did Pat Hartley, Richie Dollard and John Cotterill but they struggled badly for scores in the forwards.

Really thought that Conor Murphy had an outstanding game. By far he deserved man of the match. He was everywhere

Is DJ confirmed as new selector

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Is DJ confirmed as new selector
    Yeah Indo had it this morning. Mickey comerford coach. Lyng over u20. It is a bit of a merry go round when you look at it like that

It was a bit of a slip up letting Michael fennelly go to offaly. Highly qualified man in s&c should have found a job for him in some roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Village87

Sir Chaz wrote: »

Tullogher will be disappointed to go down. Been pushing hard last 4/5 years to going up senior. Just highlights the importance of not finishing bottom 2 in the league stages.
    Anything can happen in championship as we seen last Saturday in the park, weather conditions, poor referring, mistakes, wind makes championship very hard to predict. Hard luck to Tullogher and Ballyraggett going down.

• Advertisement

Yeah Indo had it this morning. Mickey comerford coach. Lyng over u20. It is a bit of a merry go round when you look at it like that

What is this Mickey Comerford like as a coach is he local, I have been out of the country for the last twenty years and I am back in kilkenny since August, hear from people that lyng got on well with the players you wonder why was he moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

Joe Henry wrote: »
    What is this Mickey Comerford like as a coach is he local, I have been out of the country for the last twenty years and I am back in kilkenny since August, hear from people that lyng got on well with the players you wonder why was he moved.

Rumours were circulating the last few weeks that dj was coming on board I would of like to see our backroom increase maybe henry and some kind of modern coach but we haven't got many successful locally and we don't pay the big money.Tom Mulally and james meagher are two coaches that spring to mind but cody will keep things old school but I do feel we are falling a bit behind..Workrate will only get us so far.Best of luck to the two lads hopefully they bring fresh ideas.Dj had the u20s playing good stuff at the start of the year but we disappointed as the year went on.He has done great work with cw and I'd say he will be well got with the players.
    What I know of comerford his from the town was a very good soccer player years ago think he is or was in the army.done alot of work with richie power a few year ago one on one to get him right for the 15 final.think he was with o loughlins and he was with dj this year.

I thought Mulally, Meagher, would be in the running but Meagher from what I heard is employed by Clare gaa, was Dempsey involved with Dj with the Carlow college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

What year did Tommy Walsh and Eoin Kelly waterford both get sin binned in a National league?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 revanaghkk

Mickey Comerford is a strength and conditioning coach. I'd say the hurling coaching will be taken by James and DJ with obviously Brian overseeing all aspects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

DJ is not a coach

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Delighted DJ is on board, don't know alot about Comerford but seems to have a good reputation in that area but I really wanted to see a new hurling coach join the set up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Kilkenny Camogie have announced the reappointment of Seamus Kelly as Kilkenny Minor Camogie Manager for 2020. Seamus will be joined by selectors Adrian Ronan, Ruth Comerford, Pat O'Neill & Tommy Wall

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

thesultan wrote: »
    What year did Tommy Walsh and Eoin Kelly waterford both get sin binned in a National league?

2009 I'd say.
    The yellow cards cost Kilkenny Tommy Walsh and Jackie Tyrrell and Waterford two of their more productive forwards, Eoin Kelly – who despite being on the field less than 10 minutes had looked threatening – after a tangle with Walsh and Séamus Prendergast after his altercation with Tyrrell.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/timely-balm-for-waterford-s-wounds-1.712919

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭conor05

It was a bit of a slip up letting Michael fennelly go to offaly. Highly qualified man in s&c should have found a job for him in some roll.

I don’t think he wanted to get involved with Kilkenny at this stage.
    From talking to a Ballyhale friend he wanted to take up a management job elsewhere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement