Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭conor05

DJ is not a coach

Nearly sure he was coaching the Carlow IT hurlers for last 3-4 years in Fitzgibbon Cup??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

brookville wrote: »
    Rumours were circulating the last few weeks that dj was coming on board I would of like to see our backroom increase maybe henry and some kind of modern coach but we haven't got many successful locally and we don't pay the big money.

We don't pay any money to coaches, selectors or manager. Which to be honest I agree with. We were blessed with the likes of Mick Dempsey staying with us for 15 years and all for nothing (his career did alright out of it too in fairness) but expenses and love of it. I would expect that Mick Comerford will also not be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

greenspurs wrote: »
    Kilkenny Camogie have announced the reappointment of Seamus Kelly as Kilkenny Minor Camogie Manager for 2020. Seamus will be joined by selectors Adrian Ronan, Ruth Comerford, Pat O'Neill & Tommy Wall
    Now thats a fair backroom team with the great pat o neill and adrian ronan on board.best of luck to them next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Rebelside

It makes complete sense not to pay for outside s&c expertise, it would be a waste of money if your going to field players who are not fit

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Anyone know what age Simon Donnelly is? Is he John's brother or cousin? I know there's two different families. Seen him a few times this year and have been very impressed with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

Anyone know what age Simon Donnelly is? Is he John's brother or cousin? I know there's two different families. Seen him a few times this year and have been very impressed with him.

About 18 I was told today and he is a brother of john.Theres also cousin robbie cousin Stephen.
    Gowran v tullaron was an entertaining game and gowran will feel they had a chance to cause a shock but the over reliance on holden for scores cost them.Think he got about 1-11 out of 2-15 he also missed a free easier ones than he scored.Mossy had an excellent second half and tommy and mikey walsh had a great tussle.Tullaron will be thrilled to dig deep today and win and unlike previous years will probably be underdogs
    The second match was absolutely dead it was like an ordinary league match.robbie donnelly excellent today and john won a lot of frees and was very involved.freshford just fell away in the second half and their danger men couldn't get into it.Number 7 murphy for ttown was very good.
    Both teams will know they have work to do but it sets up a very good final and the two best teams left standing.Both teams have a few players that are match winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think Tommy Walsh scored 3 or 4 points including 1 from a sideline, he also set up what should have been a goal. I would love to see him helping Tullaroan back senior. I was dissapointed with Shane Walsh, never got into the game. Tullaroan will have to improve from today.
    Thomastown were impressive. Robbie Donnelly did well and Jonjo Farrell caused trouble when he ran at Freshford in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Joe Henry

Freshford forwards were shocking,the freshford backs couldnt stick with that pressure with balls coming back out from there forwards that could not win a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭droppingball

Freshford played very deep which didn't help, they were trying to double up on John Donnelly but it just left room for Robbie Donnelly who roamed everywhere.

Thomastown took a while to get going again but will be happy with the win especially without Tucker Hanrahan who had been going well and Daithi Barron who was flying when coming on in games.

Thought James Maher didn't look himself today.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Oops sorry, I meant Robbie Donnelly!!🙈🙈🙈

• Advertisement

James maher was like that against Dunnamagin , somebody said he was working in Doncaster going back forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Joe Henry wrote: »
    James maher was like that against Dunnamagin , somebody said he was working in Doncaster going back forward.

I've not seen him about in Doncaster being the town I live at 😂

Clara will be very dissapointed they had a great chance to catch the shamrocks today but ultimately poor shooting cost them.Tj in the second half was excellent one of his points in a standing position in the second half was brillant.Colin was a threat and won the penalty and joey was excellent.liam ryan got a few great points as did david langton from frees but the wides will haunt them.
    Barrow rangers v o loughlins was very enjoyable.Again goals win matches and olg got 4.There full foward line was very dangerous.Alot of young lads on that team and should make the step up over the next few years conor kelly is very good.As for the paulstown men they tried till the very end but were a bit reliant on jack kelly who was probably the best player on show.
    Village v comer.village started well again but comer clawed it back at half time although ruth should of had a goal that was saved.Michael murphy scored a penalty and from the puck out Luke scanlon ran right through to get a goal.The village chipped on a few points and while murphy did get a late goal from a free the better team won and this win should stand to a young village team who are improving.Murphy and larkin had a good battle that was broken evenly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Jackie should have been sent off in the first half

dzer2 wrote: »
    Jackie should have been sent off in the first half

Was that when Owen's went down after the catch?I didn't see what happened but he was down for a good bit.What was going on with cheddar in front of the new stand?he spends most of the game on the pitch did he get sent off but refuse to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

brookville wrote: »

Was that when Owen's went down after the catch?I didn't see what happened but he was down for a good bit.What was going on with cheddar in front of the new stand?he spends most of the game on the pitch did he get sent off but refuse to go?

Yeah, should have been a straight red. And the fact that he was already on a yellow, hard to know why he wasn't sent off.
    Cheddar sent to the stand, not sure why.
    It was a very start stop game. Tense at times, but never really got going, Village always responded when Comer came close. Cracking goal by Luke Scanlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Comerman

Yeah, should have been a straight red. And the fact that he was already on a yellow, hard to know why he wasn't sent off.
    Cheddar sent to the stand, not sure why.
    It was a very start stop game. Tense at times, but never really got going, Village always responded when Comer came close. Cracking goal by Luke Scanlon.
    Jackie should of seen the line, pulled down on Owens helmet/head. Cheddar was standing in the goal talking to the keeper when the advantage wasn't played and ball was called back for a free. He was on the pitch for a good 5 minutes and refused to go to the stand when ordered claiming he wasn't the manager. Looking at the programme Dwyer (who was on and off the pitch all during the game) is down as manager and Cheddar a selector, some fkuck acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Robbie Donnelly is 23.
    He's John's cousin,
    Also Stephen's Cousin
    3 families.
    John's brother Eddie came on Saturday as well, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Village87

Great to be in the county final, we got a lovely route to get there. Comer not bad but they lack 2/3 forwards to constantly contest at the highest level

Village87 wrote: »
    Great to be in the county final, we got a lovely route to get there. Comer not bad but they lack 2/3 forwards to constantly contest at the highest level

You are a gas man ;-) who knocked ye out last year? You forgot to slate Fogarty too. Best of luck in the final

• Advertisement

That is the difference with a big club and a small club always one or two players short of the full team .

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Village have been motoring quite well since that 3rd round league game against Ballyhale. That result seemed to give a young team great confidence. The move of Larkin has also had a positive affect on the forwards, it seems like young guys like Scanlon, O'Dwyer etc have had to step up and have thus far done that.

They will probably be underdogs going into a county final and I'd imagine they will be comfortable in that position.

Just a quick word on one player yesterday who for me looks a real player, young Cian Kenny in the middle, for a chap who is so young and looks quite slight, his ability to win the ball against a physical team was really outstanding, I hope he drives on as he is a natural hurler and super stick man too.

Joe Henry wrote: »
    That is the difference with a big club and a small club always one or two players short of the full team .

Except we need about 8 :-) agreed on the comment about Cian, watched him up through the ages and he's some talent

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭red_diesel

€15 a bit steep for a senior semi and junior combo. Fair enough for 2 senior games, not paired with junior game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2729

Management Teams 2020 - Press Release

Following a meeting of Kilkenny GAA County Board tonight, Brian Cody has been ratified as Kilkenny Senior Manager for the 2020 season. James McGarry and DJ Carey will be selectors for the season ahead, while Michael Comerford has been named as Strength and Conditioning Coach.

Kilkenny GAA would like to take this opportunity to thank Michael Dempsey for his contribution to GAA in Kilkenny. Michael Dempsey joined Brian Cody in the senior management team in 2005 and has since being a constant presence behind the scenes, no more so than during Kilkenny’s four in a row from 2006-2009 and also in Kilkenny’s All-Ireland successes in 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015. On behalf of Kilkenny GAA and Brian Cody we wish Michael all the best in the future and to thank him for his immense contribution to hurling in Kilkenny.

At U-20 Derek Lyng has been ratified as manager, with Peter Barry and Michael Rice as his selectors.

At U-17 Richie Mulrooney has been ratified as manager, with Adrian Finan, Marin Carey and Sean Kelly as selectors and the team trainer for 2020 will be James Meagher.

Christy Walsh has been ratified as the Kilkenny junior football manager for the 2020 season, the team coach will be JJ Grace, Dan O’Neill and Paddy McConigley will be team selectors.

We also acknowledge the contribution of Liam Smith, Peter Donovan and Nigel Skehan at U-20 level over the past two seasons and Brían Ryan for his contribution at minor level last year. We thank them for their tireless work and wish them well in any future roles.

Peter Barry and mick rice could be two good additions.Mightnt be the most star studded u20s but hopefully cian kenny,Conor kelly and ciaran brennan can build on their potential.
    Best of luck to dj and mick comerford hopefully they can bring some fresh ideas.
    Great to say Jimmy meagher back involved as coach with the minors wouldn't of minded to see him with the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

That senior management team does not inspire confidence that anything is going to change for next year but I hope I'm wrong.

James Meagher back is good news I suppose but he's been there before and essentially it's more of the same faces hanging around the minor setup. There's a shed load of talent coming through in the minor team of 2021 with Naddy, Glennon, Dunne, Shine et al.

U20 management team is at least fresh and hopefully will work out. Barry was always one of my favourite players growing up and Rice is someone I really believe and hope can bring something to the coaching aspect of Kilkenny hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Saddleview

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2730

So are Avonmore gone off the jerseys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

New sponsors as well. Busy night for the county board.

UPMC Nowlan Park. Catchy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bamayang

Nowlan Park, home to Kilkenny GAA is to be renamed UPMC Nowlan Park under the agreement.

Is this a piss take????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement