Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    The kilkenny people reporting lyng going to the u20s..also best of luck to mick Dempsey and thanks very much for everything.Its going to be intresting to see who we get.I think freshness was definitely needed anyway

Seems to be a merry go round with the same coaches involved. I genuinely thought there would be some freshness or something to get excited about this year. Same heads calling everything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Best of luck to Mick Dempsey. We can be fairly sure we wouldn't have won all the AIs we did in the last while without Mick. His work was a huge foundation towards our success.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Mick Dempsey changed the game as regards how players tackled and defended
    He brought that savage intensity and had kilkenny tackling like a football team.
    Teams may have caught up now but he moved kilkenny in a different direction and it took the rest a few years to figure it out.a massive thanks is owed by all kilkenny supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Well the U20 manager is sorted and is none of the above. Our new senior management team was apparently spotted together at the Thomastown game last weekend.
    So did anyone happen to see who Brian Cody was standing beside in Inistioge on Sunday??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

minty81 wrote: »
    So did anyone happen to see who Brian Cody was standing beside in Inistioge on Sunday??

Charlie Carter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭brookville

Looking forward to the few matches this weekend hopefully the forecast wont be too bad in the seniors o loughlins v vat.if rumours are true loughlins have injury concerns but luckily have a big squad and the juniors also going well they might have to call on a few of them.The vat aren't as good as they were 2 years ago and also down a few this year.think liam fennelly and another lad not available.Tom aylward hurling great stuff since his return and is a very good full back.john walsh very accurate and the malone's will do alot of the heavy lifting while willie Dwyer is like a young lad flying around..loughlins will remember last year in danesfort clara stole that one.i was impressed with olg that day in gowran against the bridge but the last day in that rain against the boro it was hard to hurl in that.id expect olg to win this.
    Village v rower.Village blew danesfort away the last day Larkin at 6 and a few good young lads like scanlon,Brazil,Browne driving this team now.Hopefully cheddar stays between the white lines.Rower were good in the 2nd half against clara despite joyce going off early and also seemed to be missing a few.Leahy ran the show at times while his still inclined to take a few pot shots.Joe lyng hurling great stuff at 6 for them but I think the village have better scoring power.
    Comer v boro should be a right match comer will try keep it tight and have excellent defence and Murphy is their leader in attack.They surprised a good few against the bridge with high scoring.Bill Sheehan was excellent the last day for the boro and olg tried a few lads on him.Young mikey butler struggled on him aswell he must be a nightmare to mark twisting and turning.id give the vote to the boro in this one.
    Clara v bhale.Clara started well but wasn't impressed with them the last day they have o shea up in the forwards now but bolger who was flying last year isn't as effective.Jack langton is rusty after his horror injury but they still have experience with the 2 Ryan's and Shane pender but I was told tj should play and and they have unbelievable forwards which we know they seemed to have gotten back on track and getting their key players back.Richie Reid hurling well in defence for them I'd expect them to win this one.Both these on rte.
    The dreaded relegation should draw a big crowd bragget despite losing convincingly the last day never gave up but they really need a huge performance if they are to win.The bridge will have Jason but had injury concerns the last day sean Morrissey went off.The bridge have leaked alot of goals which has contributed to their downfall.it will be a tense affair with a huge amount riding on it but if both teams play to their best I'd expect the bridge to win this.unfortunately for ballyragget this is nearly the core group that came up from junior they haven't really added to it.
    Two replays in the intermediate dunnamaggin with a late goal salvaged a draw.freshford looked to have it won but fair play to dunnamaggin who kept at it.Liam hickey who I liked at u21 is hurling well and Shane Donnelly who is a real goal getter should get them over the line this time.
    St.Martins v young irelands.both teams had chances in this maybe gowran had a few more chances at the end to snatch it but wides cost them.st Martin's had a better spread of scorers and mullhall is hurling well.gowran reliant on paul Holden for their scores.Both these teams are very dogged maybe gowran to sneak this.
    If the draw goes along the lines and it's a tullaron v thomastown final it should be a cracker although there will probably be a few twists and turns before the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

Charlie Carter

Flanked by Cha Fitz & John Mulhall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

robwen wrote: »
    Charlie Carter

Flanked by Cha Fitz & John Mulhall
    There'd be great songs going up to the matches anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Who will be the coach for Kilkenny next year?

Maybe it might be a backwards step but I think Martin fogarty was a loss to Cody's backroom team.Tommy shefflin would have been an option but that is a non runner now.carey done some impressive stuff with carlow it. or had he a coach with him.paddy Mulally,james Maher, any others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

brookville wrote: »
    Looking forward to the few matches this weekend hopefully the forecast wont be too bad in the seniors o loughlins v vat.if rumours are true loughlins have injury concerns but luckily have a big squad and the juniors also going well they might have to call on a few of them.The vat aren't as good as they were 2 years ago and also down a few this year.think liam fennelly and another lad not available.Tom aylward hurling great stuff since his return and is a very good full back.john walsh very accurate and the malone's will do alot of the heavy lifting while willie Dwyer is like a young lad flying around..loughlins will remember last year in danesfort clara stole that one.i was impressed with olg that day in gowran against the bridge but the last day in that rain against the boro it was hard to hurl in that.id expect olg to win this.
    Village v rower.Village blew danesfort away the last day Larkin at 6 and a few good young lads like scanlon,Brazil,Browne driving this team now.Hopefully cheddar stays between the white lines.Rower were good in the 2nd half against clara despite joyce going off early and also seemed to be missing a few.Leahy ran the show at times while his still inclined to take a few pot shots.Joe lyng hurling great stuff at 6 for them but I think the village have better scoring power.
    Comer v boro should be a right match comer will try keep it tight and have excellent defence and Murphy is their leader in attack.They surprised a good few against the bridge with high scoring.Bill Sheehan was excellent the last day for the boro and olg tried a few lads on him.Young mikey butler struggled on him aswell he must be a nightmare to mark twisting and turning.id give the vote to the boro in this one.
    Clara v bhale.Clara started well but wasn't impressed with them the last day they have o shea up in the forwards now but bolger who was flying last year isn't as effective.Jack langton is rusty after his horror injury but they still have experience with the 2 Ryan's and Shane pender but I was told tj should play and and they have unbelievable forwards which we know they seemed to have gotten back on track and getting their key players back.Richie Reid hurling well in defence for them I'd expect them to win this one.Both these on rte.
    The dreaded relegation should draw a big crowd bragget despite losing convincingly the last day never gave up but they really need a huge performance if they are to win.The bridge will have Jason but had injury concerns the last day sean Morrissey went off.The bridge have leaked alot of goals which has contributed to their downfall.it will be a tense affair with a huge amount riding on it but if both teams play to their best I'd expect the bridge to win this.unfortunately for ballyragget this is nearly the core group that came up from junior they haven't really added to it.
    Two replays in the intermediate dunnamaggin with a late goal salvaged a draw.freshford looked to have it won but fair play to dunnamaggin who kept at it.Liam hickey who I liked at u21 is hurling well and Shane Donnelly who is a real goal getter should get them over the line this time.
    St.Martins v young irelands.both teams had chances in this maybe gowran had a few more chances at the end to snatch it but wides cost them.st Martin's had a better spread of scorers and mullhall is hurling well.gowran reliant on paul Holden for their scores.Both these teams are very dogged maybe gowran to sneak this.
    If the draw goes along the lines and it's a tullaron v thomastown final it should be a cracker although there will probably be a few twists and turns before the final.

Thanks for that

Every report I have heard/read this year seems to suggest Joe Lyng is hurling really well at 6.
    It's a shame he pulled away, I always liked him and he was one of the very few who came out of Thurles 2 years ago versus Waterford having played well on night.

If nothing personal involved with BC, hopefully he might rejoin.
    We badly need a 6 and allow P Walsh more freedom, maybe even wing forward?

If not him, maybe Lawlor and play Delaney at FB.

it is good however to see so many county lads and county prospects seem to be going well (Leahy, Donnelly, Sheehan, Browne, R Reid and maybe even Lyng..)

Some great games, was hoping to get down for Village game but too early start, so great to have the two Sat games on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Shamrocks game off due to the road accident in Ballyhale.

Mvat v OLG now at 3pm in Nowlan Park
    Boro v Comer at 4:45pm

Horrible news from ballyhale. Those young fellas have been through so much tragedy. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Joe Henry

Another tragedy RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yeah terrible news from Ballyhale again last night another player and also a 1st cousin of Eoin Doyle RIP who also tragically died in a motorbike accident last year. My heart goes out to the poor family may he RIP.

The Ballyhale v Clara game has obviously been called off. The OLG and Mullinavat game is now on the TV at 3pm and the Boro v Erins Own game is now on at 4.45pm

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Mullinavat robbed of a win there with O'Loughlins given a 65 for a wide ball, Linesman overruling the decision of the ref when he had correctly waved the ball wide was disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I love the way the ref in these situations never seems to actually know whether there's extra time or a replay. Do they not find these things out in advance? Was always the same when I was hurling at a very low level, you'd have the ref ringing the county board and all this rigmarole as if a draw was something nobody could have foreseen, looked they needed to check what happens when a meteor strikes.

Not a bad match considering how terrible the conditions were, I thought on balance vat looked a little better but loughlins have now improving to do for the next day. Hope it's on tv again and they get nicer weather. And different commentators, that lad today never stopped complaining about the weather, was like he didn't want to be there at all (it's understandable, but jaysus do your job lad). The woman was good in fairness, sorry I didn't catch who was commentating.

On to the boro match, think it'll be a great battle between the boro forwards and the comer backs but you'd have to think the weather will favour the latter. Should be a cracker. Hon the boro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Comerman

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Mullinavat robbed of a win there with O'Loughlins given a 65 for a wide ball, Linesman overruling the decision of the ref when he had correctly waved the ball wide was disgraceful.

Linesman was right in front of us and I've no clue how he could of seen the 65,disgraceful on Mullinavat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭big_drive

Was watching today on tv. Did they say the Erin’s own goalkeeper is 46?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Who won the second game?

Elderly neighbour is Dicksboro man here in north Dublin and would like to know if talk to him tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭kksaints

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Who won the second game?

Elderly neighbour is Dicksboro man here in north Dublin and would like to know if talk to him tomorrow!

Erins Own won by two. Weather ruined both matches quality wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Thanks for that, He won't be happy.

Saw the first game. Dreadful conditions. Be same here tomorrow if games go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

big_drive wrote: »

Yep.

Yep.

Fair going to be still playing at senior level at 46 even as a goalie. Must be the oldest player in the championship?

What age is martin comerford? Around 42??

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

big_drive wrote: »
    Yes, and playing in goals for Comer since he was 18

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭conor05

Yes, and playing in goals for Comer since he was 18

And he is still a very good goalie.
    You’d rarely see someone last that long in the first team nowadays, serious commitment and dedication from him.

conor05 wrote: »
    And he is still a very good goalie.
    You’d rarely see someone last that long in the first team nowadays, serious commitment and dedication from him.

Made a couple of excellent saves

Was he ever on any of the inter county panels when he was younger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭brookville

First of all condolences to the aylward family and the ballyhale club.Awful tragedy.Rip
    Credit to all teams yesterday for playing in awful weather.Gowran and st Martin's went to extra time with gowran winning.Paul Holden and sean kehoe both very good for gowran in attack.ajohn mulhall was quite.Brian cody hit alot of ball.Gowran have a free shot against tullaron but they will need more from there attack if they want to get into the final.
    Went over to the park then thankfully had a bit of shelter I thought Vegas had a great chance to win it and were the better team for alot of it They missed one or two great goal chances The malone's both very good.john walsh walsh was accurate from frees.
    Comer deserving winners the boro will know they didn't play or weren't let play to their potential.its a pity Michael murphy isnt a few years younger..Wallace done a great job on bill.Coner have very good defence and wont fear the last 3 teams.The boro missed a few points when the game was in the melting pot,Stapleton missed a few but credit to comer they hung on and after last years semi final they deserved the bit of luck.Well done to them I'd like to see them getting to the final now.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

I think Tom Brophy was playing senior for Comer before 11 or 12 of his team mates were born...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Comer v Village and winners of other 2 quarter finals are the semi final pairings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement