Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Standard of reffing in kilkenny seems to be poor going by lots of recent reports from posters.

Always wondered why Martin Quilty from Slieverue doesn't get more of the bigger games. Top class ref who aludes respect and control.

Martin gave up refereeing a few years ago.he is usually umpire for gavin he trys to ref matches from their

He must of come out of retirement cause he has reffed plenty of our games this year, although just challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

He must of come out of retirement cause he has reffed plenty of our games this year, although just challenges.

I'm guessing you're mixing him up with gavin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I'm guessing you're mixing him up with gavin.

No Martin it was. He is actually reffing in Waterford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Lachtain v dunnamaggin lachtains by 7
    Tullaroan v fenian tullaroan by 6
    Young Irelands v Martin's Irelands by 3
    Thomastown v glenmore thomastown by 5
    Ballycallan to beat mulinavat just about

Any results please?

Lachtains v dunnamaggin draw goal with last puck replay next Sunday
    Tullaroan won by 15
    Gowran v Martin's draw
    Thomastown won by 16
    Vat beat ballycallan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭amber69

No Martin it was. He is actually reffing in Waterford now.

Does a lot of schools and young under age girls and boys games. His brother Gavin is a decent enough ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

Martin gave up refereeing a few years ago.he is usually umpire for gavin he trys to ref matches from their

Have to agree I posted last week about the u13 final and the standard of reffing in that game. I Have seen some atrocious reffing in the last month since the club scene got going again kenny and barcoe are disasters. Players deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Village87 wrote: »
    Didn't make any of the games today. Any updates from club games. Freshford v Dunnamaggin seemed a good game.

What has happened Mooncoin and Piltown. Usually strong underage last 10/12 years . Competing well in A anytime we played them. Going by results today in Junior Quater finals, Piltown losing by 19/20 and Mooncoin by 15/16 points.

Going on today results the 2 clubs must be up there with Cloneen as the worst adult team in Kilkenny at the moment, also Emeralds and Kilmacow can be included.

Silly statement considering Mooncoin just came down from Intermediate last year and Piltown got bet in the county final by a few points against Dunamaggin.
    Piltown topped their group winning 4 and drawing 1 while Mooncoin won all of there's apart from 1.
    I didn't see either match at the weekend but I'd say is was just an off day for both clubs.

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Silly statement considering Mooncoin just came down from Intermediate last year and Piltown got bet in the county final by a few points against Dunamaggin.
    Piltown topped their group winning 4 and drawing 1 while Mooncoin won all of there's apart from 1.
    I didn't see either match at the weekend but I'd say is was just an off day for both clubs.

I know from talking to guys from both clubs it is a real problem.mooncoin won u21A not that long ago and a minor A last year.and for some reason it seems hard to keep them progressing.both them and piltown would have panellist on minor team most years.probably the envy of most clubs as regards facilities.
    Talking of topping groups in junior hurling wont come as much comfort after defeats of the size they got at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Was at the thomastown v glenmore match yesterday, big crowd in inistioge for it.

Thomastown were considerably the better team and restricted Glenmore to mostly scores from frees which Alan Murphy took brilliantly. Thomastown were slow to start but once they got a foothold they started winning aerial battles and their forward running caused all sorts or problems.

The forwards took some great scores late on but it was like a challenge match by then, few sloppy moments at the back that they will need to iron out.

Glenmore just didn't seem to have the firepower and probably need one or two more players to help the Murphy's and ger aylward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Couldn't believe how poor Glenmore were, Thomastown's forwards had it very easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Village87

How did Eoin Murphy go go out the field ? Would prefer to see him in the goal for the club now as he is getting on. Must be 30 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Eoin Murphy went ok but he was managed very well, he was very tightly marked and it ended up being 50 50 and he ended up wrestling with his man constantly. Glenmore definitely need him out the field on the evidence of yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

Village87 wrote: »
    How did Eoin Murphy go go out the field ? Would prefer to see him in the goal for the club now as he is getting on. Must be 30 soon.

He's only 29 and only turned 29 a short while ago, still has a few years outfield in him if he wants to play out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Going on League position I'd rate the teams as follows
    1) O'Loughlin Gaels (because of strength of schedule and highest points scored 120) +20 points diff
    2) Dicksboro + 36 points diff
    3) Clara -1 points diff
    4) Mullinavat -5 points diff
    5) Rower (only just ahead of JS) +3 points diff
    6) James Stephens +7 points diff
    7) Ballyhale Shamrocks -12 points diff
    8) Danesfort +3 points diff
    9) Graigue Ballycallan -4 points diff
    10) Erins Own 0 points diff
    11) Bennettsbridge -9 points diff (second highest points scored but by and away the leakiest defence 126 points)
    12) St Patricks -38 points diff (lowest points scored and second leakiest defence 115 points)

So the only top 8 team not to make the quarter final was Danesfort and they had to play the Village so someone wasn't going to get through. Comer take their spot.

Predictions this weekend:
    Saturday
    1pm in Danesfort Ref: Owen Kenny
    O'Loughlin Gaels v Mullinavat - I can see this one being tighter than it probably should be. Neither team made it past this stage last year, losing to Clara and the Bridge respectively. It was a 9 point win when they meet in the first round for O'Loughlins in the League back in April. Vegas have had 2 games to get up to speed against GBC and they should be flying it. OLG had a tough slog against the Boro in the League final more than either team were expecting I'd say and it should stand to them. I still think that OLG will just have too much for them in the end.
    OLG by 3

3pm in Nowlan Park Ref: Peter Burke
    Dicksboro v Erins Own - I can see this one being a real slog given the rain we're expected to see on Saturday afternoon. Comer will keep it tight at the back and put long ball into the likes of Anthony Owens on the edge of the square or shoot from distance. This was highly effective against the Bridge. The Boro will need to be on top form to break through the Comer defence. If the likes of Bill Sheehan and Andy Gaffney can play like they did in the League final you'd have to fancy the Boro. They played in the second round of the League this year with the Boro winning by a point but Comer were without Conor Delaney that day, both are playing better now. The rain if it comes will be a big leveller and I expect a very close contest.
    Boro by 2

5pm in Nowlan Park Ref: Sean Cleere
    Clara v Ballyhale Shamrocks - I think Ballyhale should be getting better at this stage and I think if they had of drawn Erins Own in the first round I think they could be gone. Clara weren't very impressive against the Rower in the Sheild Final but what can be read into that match? I would expect the Shamrocks to lay down a bit of a marker. They have their young lads back from the States and intercounty lads back long enough now that they should be able to crack on. Clara started out in a blaze of glory in the League beating the Shamrocks by 4 out in Callan in the first round. They've come back to the pack since then and it's hard to know what to make of either team after their last matches.
    Shamrocks by 5

Sunday
    12pm in Thomastown Ref: Gavin Quilty
    Rower Inistioge v James Stephens - This is another hard call they're two teams which seem to have differing trajectories. The Rower started off very well in a weak group and looked impressive until the collapsed against the Boro out in Gowran in the last round. The Village started off with two losses and weren't hurling well apparently but they have turned the ship and are now heading in the right direction. They had a great win over the Shamrocks in the 3rd round (admittedly Ballyhale were very depleted at that stage) and they beat Clara well too. They were lucky to get a few refs decisions to draw with OLG in the 5th round. They were very impressive against Danesfort the last day and if they can bring that again they'll win this one. Lots of running in this one if the conditions permit it.
    James Stephens by 3

Relegation Final
    2pm in Clara Ref: Michael O'Sullivan
    St Patricks v Bennettsbridge - I can only see this going one way given how poor Ballyraggett have been all year. The Bridge will hardly be as inaccurate again with their shooting which was dreadful against Comer. Ballyraggett have taken a few awful pastings in the last few games Boro beat them by 18, Danesfort beat them by 4 (not bad) but then Ballyhale by 20 in the relegation semifinal. The only bright light at the end of the tunnel is what they scored against Ballyhale (2-16) Bennettsbridge have been leaker than a sieve this year so it could go either way but if Bennettsbridge with their intercounty players can't get over this one you'd really have to wonder about a lot of them.
    Bennettsbridge by 6

Tommy shefflin fair appointment for camogie serious hurling coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

Tommy shefflin fair appointment for camogie serious hurling coach.

Best of luck to Tommy hopefully he can get them over the line.Any update on the u20 or the senior setup?lots of speculation dj and Henry could be involved in seniors or henry with the u20s.Is the minor management staying?

I believe pat Hoban is in line for u20
    I think minor management are staying they emphasised player development last year with a eye on next year's team.
    Tommy shefflin getting involved with camogie. Would leave shamrocks with a new back room team next year if Henry was to go aswell. So I can't see him leaving them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Great. More of the same faces just being moved around a bit.

Cannot see any logic in DJ or Henry joining Cody on a management ticket. DJ is not a coach so bar the respect players would have for him for his playing achievements what else does he bring?

And Henry has one year of management done which everyone has praised but essentially he's playing club hurling on cheat mode with the squad he inherited. Nothing he says on the Sunday Game would inspire you to think he's a massively innovative coach and for me, more than anything else, Kilkenny hurling needs a fresh coaching set up. At all levels.

Whomever is in charge of the 2020 minors should be in charge of the 2021 minors as that's where the talent is. It should be a two year project. And after their performance in the Arrabawn this years U15 management team shouldn't be trusted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement

In reality getting people to commit to 3 or 4 year program is a big ask.unless you are properly sett up career wise and family wise.thats why the same names pop up every couple of year's. The ex hurlers of the last 15 years all have young families and will need time before you see them on sidelines

Well the U20 manager is sorted and is none of the above. Our new senior management team was apparently spotted together at the Thomastown game last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Mick Dempsey has stepped down also. Will be a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,309 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Well the U20 manager is sorted and is none of the above. Our new senior management team was apparently spotted together at the Thomastown game last weekend.

McGarry would be there anyway to see his son?
    Cody goes to 'all' games anyway ?

2+2 = …..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

The kilkenny people reporting lyng going to the u20s..also best of luck to mick Dempsey and thanks very much for everything.Its going to be intresting to see who we get.I think freshness was definitely needed anyway

greenspurs wrote: »
    McGarry would be there anyway to see his son?
    Cody goes to 'all' games anyway ?

2+2 = …..

Yep but they were all together. It'll all come out in the wash soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

And Henry has one year of management done which everyone has praised but essentially he's playing club hurling on cheat mode with the squad he inherited. .

This is what Henry inherited..

2015 - Beaten semi-finalists (aging first team)
    2016 - Beaten finalists (team one year older again)
    2017 - Badly beaten semi-finalists

Yes, there was underage success but that was not all plan sailing as was well
    documentated, he has done a great job gelling the young players and the
    remaining 'senior' players...they are far from the finished article but average
    age versus St. Patrick's in last round was 24 years...

How does 'cheat mode' work, are the Shamrocks robbing players from elsewhere or offering massive contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Yep but they were all together. It'll all come out in the wash soon enough.

Who are they?

Predictions this weekend:
    Saturday
    1pm in Danesfort Ref: Owen Kenny
    O'Loughlin Gaels v Mullinavat - I can see this one being tighter than it probably should be. Neither team made it past this stage last year, losing to Clara and the Bridge respectively. It was a 9 point win when they meet in the first round for O'Loughlins in the League back in April. Vegas have had 2 games to get up to speed against GBC and they should be flying it. OLG had a tough slog against the Boro in the League final more than either team were expecting I'd say and it should stand to them. I still think that OLG will just have too much for them in the end.
    OLG by 3

I just heard that Huw Lawlor has a broken hand and is in a cast. He will be a massive loss for O'Loughlins. I would be worried for them without Huw. He was excellent against the Boro in the League final and without him they'll be very reliant on Paddy Deegan who was excellent as well but can he put out all the fires? I don't know if I'll change my prediction but It'll be a lot closer than I thought and I already thought it would be tight. Vegas might just catch them.

Also heard Thomastown are struggling with a few injuries, John Donnelly has an issue with his hamstring and Tucker Hanrahan has a hand injury too. between them they scored 2-4 the last day I think. Thats a lot of talent to be down if they don't make it back for the semi final.

• Advertisement

Mick Dempsey has stepped down also. Will be a big loss.

Couldn't agree with this more the amount of time and effort Dempsey has given to Kilkenny has been huge and he wasn't paid for his work with Kilkenny. He would meet lads at 6-7 in the morning to do gym sessions with them to get them back fit. He worked with Adrian Mullen for 2 years before he ever got near the Senior team, on top of all the time he dedicated to our senior team and all that from a Laois man. I think we all owe him a huge debt of gratitude. Any of the lads involved would tell you he was instrumental to our success since 06.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement