Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The top news item at 8 am is that there is no news. No major incidents, flights and trains running as normal. Just 4000 withoutn power George has gone into hiding.

Still, it is fairly muck here in Celbridge. Steady rain and just breezy enough to make difficult to stay dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RTÉ journalist reporting that a “couple of twigs” on the roads in county Clare !!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The top news item at 8 am is that there is no news. No major incidents, flights and trains running as normal. Just 4000 withoutn power George has gone into hiding.

Reports coming in of some twigs down in Clare! :P

Storm centre only now just ashore in/around Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So I’m up now, have all the door and windows boarded over....we are all gathered in the most central room in house.....we slept here all night on floor so my back is broke

When is it safe to come out? This is my 5th day off work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I think they just don't know definitively which way it will go. They have to inform the public of the possibilities. Some people then hear only the dramatic parts and ignore the other possibilities.

That's pretty much it, like.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

What a joke from all involved. No warnings should have been sent for the east of the country. No worse than a normal winters night.

Not once did they say the midlands/east would not be affected. All headlines and news reports and M.E comments should have lead with "west coast", not "countrywide warnings for storm lorenzo".

RTE know that if carbon taxes are increased there'll be more tax money in the pot they can claim.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

lleti wrote: »
    No warnings should have been sent for the east of the country.

There were no storm warnings for the east coast of the country!!!
    Not once did they say the midlands/east would not be affected. All headlines and news reports and M.E comments should have lead with "west coast", not "countrywide warnings for storm lorenzo".

They did!!!

Problem is people can't or don't want to read!!!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    There were NO warnings for the east coast of the country!!!

There was a yellow warning yesterday up to 6pm.

And even if there wasn't, why would they lead with headlines like "country bracing for impact of storm Lorenzo2?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    There were NO warnings for the east coast of the country!!!

They did!!!

Problem is people can't or don't want to read!!!

And give over, if you can't trust your state broadcaster who can you trust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Can we quit bashing M.E? They did an excellent job forecasting this. It’s not like they made the entire country Orange they made 6 counties and lowered it to 5 and then got rid of 3 counties from the late night warnings over all. They did a great job with this. Dublin was yellow, not orange or red. Maybe next time try to look at the actual forecasts instead of just basing everything on tabloids like Dublin live. RTÉ were very bad in this storm and tbh it should be looked into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

For the record I’m not criticizing met Eireann.

Facebook and media on the other hand. Trump is right about this fake news trend.

The media needs censoring for fake news. If you publish fake news or hype you should have to mention it at the top of the article, like an advertisement.

I was going to get the first bus this morning and would have been late over this hype if I wasn’t a hardy tough guy with an attitude.

Some people get in trouble in work for being late. I’m sure all over Dublin there is lads turning up for work an hour late because of this hype.

Dublin live and radio nova should be fined. Facebook should take people’s likes or shares or whatever off people who publish bull**** and fake videos of the police arresting scrotes with a headline that claims he was just in the library renting a book and the police came in and arrested him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

George Lee should be stood down from reporting on climate and weather.

He has lost whatever credibility he ever had on this over the Last week.

Can we quit bashing M.E? They did an excellent job forecasting this. It’s not like they made the entire country Orange they made 6 counties and lowered it to 5 and then got rid of 3 counties from the late night warnings over all. They did a great job with this. Dublin was yellow, not orange or red. Maybe next time try to look at the actual forecasts instead of just basing everything on tabloids like Dublin live. RTÉ were very bad in this storm and tbh it should be looked into.

Dublin should not have been anything.

It was a normal winters night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

pburns wrote: »
    Why does everything about weather (and by extension climate) have to be so sensensationalist these days?

Carbon Tax agenda/scam would be my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

George Lee should be stood down from reporting on climate and weather.

He has lost whatever credibility he ever had on this over the Last week.
    stood down completely hes like that with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dublin should not have been anything.

It was a normal winters night.

And If you were in ME and every model you looked at showed Dublin getting yellow level winds at least, would you say “era no i won’t give a warning even though everything is showing that I should”? They have obligations. If the path changes it changes but they went off guidance as they are supposed to do

It was clearly showing yellow level speeds for Dublin until the end and maybe they didn’t happen but cork Waterford and tipp got totally removed from the warnings at 6 so they were actively looking at the models .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Flooding this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

And every headline had caused by global warming at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Villain wrote: »
    They need to move to impact based system used in the UK!

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1180008921106386944?s=20

One station is not widespread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭enricoh

RTÉ journalist reporting that a “couple of twigs” on the roads in county Clare !!

Jesus, snowflake generation!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Still, it is fairly muck here in Celbridge. Steady rain and just breezy enough to make difficult to stay dry.

I heard George got a plane out of here given the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭HBC08

I have no problem with ME conduct all week,they gave accurate data and were pretty much on the ball.I have no problem with Rte basing their 6 o clock news around this and having reporters live all over the country.
    However once it became clear that this wasnt going to be a major weather event worthy of this kind of coverage then the ridiculous charade began. Instead of reporting accurately on this we had the embarrassing scenes on the 9 o clock news of reporters around the country shouting into the camera and telling us about "lock down" etc as waves lapped about behind them. What was the point of this bizarre effort? did they think people wouldnt notice?
    I lived abroad during the tiger years so only have a vague idea who George Lee is.We need more of him on the telly though,that was the most ive belly laughed at an rte programme in decades!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

So where are these thousands without power the RTE website is reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

And give over, if you can't trust your state broadcaster who can you trust?

That's the part I've the biggest problem with. We all know the papers love to make a meal of stuff. But jesus our national broadcaster was a disgrace. Maybe they are trying to be more like Fox news..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I heard George got a plane out of here given the danger.

Rumour has it he's applied for a post with the National Hurricane Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I think they just don't know definitively which way it will go. They have to inform the public of the possibilities. Some people then hear only the dramatic parts and ignore the other possibilities.

Yes, and there was ample time for RTÉ to dampen the hyperbole once it was clear the storm was weaker than anticipated. Instead they went about needlessly frightening people with ill-informed ravings about "hurricanes". George Lee was the biggest offender of them all, and rightly faces ridicule in the court of public opinion.

I can't comment on RTE but I think met Eireann could be spared criticism this time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

irishgeo wrote: »
    One station is not widespread

Yes but criteria based system is messy in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Allinall

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Try here chief

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

Advertisement