Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lorenzo raging out here.. alive and well he is.

That is reality. A gale that means we cannot risk opening doors. There is some minor structural damage now. and of course we are cut off.

All is well .. weather is to be respected. As is met.ie . They were totally correct.

Does not seem to be easing at all yet? Sudden severe gusts.

A neighbour emailed and we are hoping for the shopping trip today.

One poster told me off as apparently we do not count as we are " extreme"..

Ah well!

Stay safe out there.. as we are out here. All is well. we were forewarned and thus safe. And had the storm missed us we would have been heartily relieved and thankful .

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Clifden co. galway, non event ,

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nothing out of the ordinary here in Killarney, a standard gusty night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Met Éireann on the ball again from early in the week..well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Graces7 wrote: »
    Something just changed out here; increasingly savage gale. Dwelling shaking. Has it changed direction? Gusting dangerously.

west mayo

Something just hit the roof or came apart!

Hi Grace, I'm in east Mayo at the moment, Ballyhaunis direction, and strangely, just when I saw your message, the wind became noticeable for the first time today. It seems to be getting a little violent now but nothing to worry about here.

Keep safe.

• Advertisement

Lissavane wrote: »
    Hi Grace, I'm in east Mayo at the moment, Ballyhaunis direction, and strangely, just when I saw your message, the wind became noticeable for the first time today. It seems to be getting a little violent now but nothing to worry about here.

Keep safe.

Thanks, I added to my post; maybe Lorenzo passing nearer on his way out? Around the right time for that and spot on forecasting again.

Just forbade the cat to go out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Holy Moly....was woken up by ferocious gusts of wind 15 minutes ago in Sth Galway.... it is pretty bad out there and I can only imagine what it’s like on any islands off the West Coast. Thanks to all the weather regulars for some great info on these boards over the last few days concerning this storm. It is most certainly NOT a “ non- event”. Will be interested to see what wind speeds were recorded over the last hour or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I can confirm that Storm Lorenzo has definitely arrived in Sth Galway. Was woken up by ferocious gusts of wind around 4am... it is pretty bad outside for the last 30 mins and I can only imagine what it’s like on any islands off the West Coast. Thanks to all the weather regulars for some great info on these boards over the last few days concerning this storm. It is most certainly NOT a “ non- event” although I thought a few hours ago, that the worst of it would miss us.Will be interested to see what wind speeds were recorded over the last hour or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Still very active here in Galway, not so much big gusts but more long sustained periods of strong wind, hopefully there are no trees or branches down on my route to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Pretty big event here in west Mayo. Raging out there, there will be plenty of damage done I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Storm in a tea cup in South Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Woken by very strong winds in the Midwest half an hour ago and still in full force now

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Lol, right..that’s that so! Green bin and flower pots still standing. They’d want to be careful on these warnings. The boy who cried wolf and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Wind has picked up a lot here in East Clare in tthe last half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lol, right..that’s that so! Green bin and flower pots still standing. They’d want to be careful on these warnings. The boy who cried wolf and all that..

Unfortunately forecasting is not an exact science, and may never be, but be glad of those that try to do their best in doing so, as they do save lives

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

The dire warnings seem to have disappeared from Met Eireann's site. Strange, as the worst winds are forecast for my area by XC Weather for 07:00. I haven't trusted ME's forecasts for some years now and this confirms my fears about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,353 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Strong winds since midnight in Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

We agree to disagree on This Storm some people had it bad while others have had stronger winds than that before& was quite dry where I was. No actual rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Met reann on the ball again from early in the week..well done :)

Def not in my area anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The warnings from ME were fairly spot on. It’s just the media that made it out to be doomsday.
    I was wondering why the reports were so sensational but I guess they just have to get viewers etc

Not sure a warning was even needed in Leinster. Weather was worse on Monday.

The media are undoubtedly hyping these events.

But Met Eireann played their part too. As far back as early on Sunday, they spoke about a super hurricane developing in the South Atlantic in their forecast and said it was a real cause for concern. This, not surprisingly helped kickstart the media frenzy.
    I wonder was it wise to speak about it so soon when the track and power of the storm (in an Irish context) was still very much an unknown quantity at that point?

Would also have to agree with some other posters' point: Met Eireann are too reluctant/slow to revise or downgrade their warnings.
    Speaking as a resident in one of the Orange counties, the 12 hour Orange alert from 6pm was excessive. That, in addition to RTE's ridiculous sensationalism, had people in fear of stepping out of their homes.

We had about 3 hours of no more than blustery weather, which didn't get going until 2 am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

Some strong gusts here now too... east galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Still very active here in Galway, not so much big gusts but more long sustained periods of strong wind, hopefully there are no trees or branches down on my route to work.

Just a few small branches down, some stronger gusts now around Galway city, Mace head is very exposed right on the sea so not a good indicator of the wind here.
    Lumi used to have a station in the city but she seems to have disappeared from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Zeek12 wrote: »
    The media are undoubtedly hyping these events.

But Met Eireann played their part too. As far back as early on Sunday, they spoke about a super hurricane developing in the South Atlantic in their forecast and said it was a real cause for concern. This, not surprisingly helped kickstart the media frenzy.
    I wonder was it wise to speak about it so soon when the track and power of the storm (in an Irish context) was still very much an unknown quantity at that point?

Would also have to agree with some other posters' point: Met Eireann are too reluctant/slow to revise or downgrade their warnings.
    Speaking as a resident in one of the Orange counties, the 12 hour Orange alert from 6pm was excessive. That, in addition to RTE's ridiculous sensationalism, had people in fear of stepping out of their homes.

We had about 3 hours of no more than blustery weather, which didn't get going until 2 am.

Not once did they use the words super hurricane so some people were hearing what they wanted to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It has been a significant event near the west coast. Otherwise some central counties are about to get the weakening remnants as the old centre finally moves inland near Donegal Bay (heading southeast now towards Dublin by mid-day).

This means about 2-3 hours more of the moderate to strong winds and high seas, then a fairly rapid improving trend in the west, while for the east, things will deteriorate a little, no big storm or event, but some blustery winds at times and some steady rain for 2-3 hours as the decaying remnants move through Leinster around mid-day. Some parts of the south coast may have almost zero impact from the whole thing as it loops around well to their north.

I think some attention had to be drawn to the storm even though a lot of guidance showed a glancing blow or weak impacts in some areas. I think the met service did what needed to be done, and I think boards handled the situation well also (speaking of these threads). People knew generally what to expect, and that more or less has happened. So it's all good. I'm hoping there is not much disruption in the west although would imagine there are a few spots with some damage to clean up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Cycled across north Dublin to the docks/ point depot area. Worse summer mornings.

Big hype

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Extremely windy here now in north galway, not safe to be outside right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Met Eireann do what they're supposed to do and do it very well. It's the likes of rte, and the tabloids that are complete as-ho- es.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    At 0700....

Mace Head reporting mean of 47kts/87kmh, gusting 58kts/107kmh.
    Newport reporting mean of 35kts/65kmh, gusting 57kts/106kmh.

OUCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

heavy rain all night here. right at the end of donegal bay. very little wind though. stopped raining about an hour ago. 50mm rain in the last 24 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Iv no problem with the warnings although they could nearly just drop the yellow but not that bothered no problem with met eireann they more or less got it right
    Being prepared incase is a good thing i f there is a potential but when it's realised it's not going to be as bad nothing wrong with standing everything down either
    The media especially rte have made a fool of themselves scared the sh1t out of older people especially who for them rte are gospel disgraceful the way the kept reporting this it was as if some manager in rte said well we have spent all this time and money on a hurricane so we are having a hurricane ;)

I'm glad I read boards and the knowledgeable posters here for my weather forecasts

Advertisement