Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Roadtoad wrote: »
    What are all those 'dry cleaner' yokes (or fish eyes if you like) outside the track?
    Art?
    Chutes to the changing rooms?
    Teleport nodes?

Air conditioning ducts.

B is making a habit of beating you to the punch! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Faugheen wrote: »
    I thought she looked very comfortable
    I thought Mageean looked very good in that heat
    That's the thing, Mageean always looks comfortable, even when she's at max effort. Remember Glasgow, where she looked like she was strolling home even when she was overtaken by the silver medallist. Yet she had pushed hard enough to be throwing up when she was interviewed 5 minutes after she had finished.

Looking forward to the semi-final. 5 fastest guaranteed, and she has the 6th fastest SB in her heat.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

I'm hoping yesterdays race didn't take too much out of her considering the other 2 heats were considerably slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I'm hoping yesterdays race didn't take too much out of her considering the other 2 heats were considerably slower.

Since she moved to Manchester her been focused a lot more on strength (more 5k type work) as a result she has been fairly good for running rounds so should be able to handle it pretty well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not like Ciara had much choice anyway. In the first of the heats, she had to finish top 6, rather than second-guess the fastest loser times. She had to run that fast irrespective of the cost. 6th Place in her heat was 24/100ths of a second behind her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,628 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ciara is in heat 1 tonight at 21:00....be a great result if she got to the final....

Only 3-4 athletes in the heat faster than her...5-6 faster than her in heat 2

She will need to be at PB level I reckon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

walshb wrote: »
    Ciara is in heat 1 tonight at 21:00....be a great result if she got to the final....

I'm afraid there are 5 on SBs and I think the same number on PB. SB is nearly more important really. It'll be tough but doable if she's on top form. Yes, will need close to a PB I reckon, depending on early pace of course.

Not like Ciara had much choice anyway. In the first of the heats, she had to finish top 6, rather than second-guess the fastest loser times. She had to run that fast irrespective of the cost. 6th Place in her heat was 24/100ths of a second behind her.
    But seventh was a good 1.4s back, she definitely could have eased up a little on the final lap. Easy to say that in hindsight of course, very hard to be confident you won't be out-kicked when you're 400m out.

5 in her heat have PBs faster than hers, all of which has been set this season. With 5 to qualify, she'll definitely have to be in top form

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Itziger wrote: »
    I'm afraid there are 5 on SBs and I think the same number on PB. SB is nearly more important really. It'll be tough but doable if she's on top form. Yes, will need close to a PB I reckon, depending on early pace of course.

Indeed. She needs to not 'race' here, and just run the race as hard as she can till the end......almost time trial like....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Very good atmosphere in stadium tonight and good attendance. They've even opened up seats previously blocked off. It will be empty by end of session because it goes on too late. But overall, the attendances have been improving a lot as the championships have gone on.

They are giving away free tickets. Sense prevails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Eventful 1500 heat that

Couple falls there in heat 2 1500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Anyone think Ingebrigtsen could be in trouble for cutting in ??

Ceepo wrote: »
    Definitely will be looked at, but not sure he'll get disqualified, there were two of them in it. There's a good argument that Lemi tried to step out in front of him into a space that just wasn't there. Messy

Ceepo wrote: »

Cram does...

Happened so quick, and it was a very subtle cut. I think it’s just a racing incident. Unfortunate...but you couldn’t penalize him..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Ingerbrigtsen punched ya mans back...deserves to be gone !

Punched? You’re having a laugh!

28064212 wrote: »
    Definitely will be looked at, but not sure he'll get disqualified, there were two of them in it. There's a good argument that Lemi tried to step out in front of him into a space that just wasn't there. Messy

Yeah I'd agree theres an argument Lemi was trying to cut out.. looked bad that Philip look over that way had a little push on the back the looked to have moved in...
    Think Lemi will be reinstated

Punched? You’re having a laugh!

That's what I initially thought..
    Hope to see it again...

4Ad wrote: »
    That's what I initially thought..
    Hope to see it again...

He extended his arm out to steady himself I thought...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Did lemi not cut out right in front of him?? It was a stupid move from him!!

That UK shot putter is one of the unfittest looking athletes I've ever seen.

Cram says that’s a punch... Wtf!

The track ref got this right..

Some bleedin’ overhang!

Super!

Great run Ciara !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Brilliant. Well done Ciara

Great run from Ciara Mageen....

Showed real attitude there. At the front from start to finish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,161 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well done Ciara! Great to see her in a World final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Interesting race. She was lucky enough to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ciara through with no fastest losers from that semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,161 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Showed real attitude there. At the front from start to finish...

She looked good on that last lap, not in any distress

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

She was under no pressure whatsoever.

People said she shouldn’t involve herself in a race and time trial it. She got herself involved in a race and qualified.

Well done Ciara. Anything can happen in the final. Getting there is the challenge.

She’s hardly alone - including the men. World Champs though. Must be doing something right!

Faugheen wrote: »
    She was under no pressure whatsoever.

People said she shouldn’t involve herself in a race and time trial it. She got herself involved in a race and qualified.

Well done Ciara. Anything can happen in the final. Getting there is the challenge.

Fair play to her. Could easily have gone the other way though with Ciara losing out to McDonald. Pressure was all in the last 300.

Much faster heat that...real quality..

To be fair, Ciara will be doing well to get in the top 8 or thereabouts. That very fast 2nd semi might take a bit out of the legs of some of those in it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

4Ad wrote: »
    Ingerbrigtsen punched ya mans back...deserves to be gone !

yep absolutely deserves to be disqualified,good run by Ciara looked comfortable.

• Advertisement

Fair play to her. Could easily have gone the other way though with Ciara losing out to McDonald. Pressure was all in the last 300.

She didn’t lose out to McDonald though and she wasn’t even close to losing out.

McDonald was never pressuring her. Mageean was completely in control in the last 200.

To use the logic, she could have easily won that semi if it went one of a million other ways.

Jesus Cram is full of it tonight.. Saying Nanyondo looking tired, then sayi g she pushed Hull....

I like Muir hope she medals.

To be fair, Ciara will be doing well to get in the top 8 or thereabouts. That very fast 2nd semi might take a bit out of the legs of some of those in it though.

She’ll do really well to get in the top 8 and I think she knows that herself.

She correctly said in an interview with Off The Ball during the Summer that her aim was to reach the final because anything can happen, especially in the 1500.

It ultimately depends on how fast the final is as well. If it’s slow then it’s a lottery really.

If these girls push hard in the final I can’t see Ciara staying near them...

Hope for a slow race, and a couple fallers !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

There was nothing lucky about it. A class run.

• Advertisement

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a fan and delighted for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a fan and delighted for her.

Doesn't look like it!

She was in complete control in her 2 races. She raced very well, she's a very god chance of a top 7 finish on Sat.

She has looked very strong. Cant wait now.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    There was nothing lucky about it. A class run.

100% agree. She ran a super race. Looked compose and in control of what she was doing.

The final will be a different race altogether. Looks like Muir Hassan and Simpson will fight out the medals...

Will be interesting to see what tactics Muir uses.

Nasser...wow ! Didn't think she'd hold on...

• Advertisement
Advertisement