Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Big Ears

nannerby wrote: »
    Pole vault and 800metres were great tonight.Poor Gemili he was almost crying in the post race interview hope he eventually gets a global medal.

Pole vault was fantastic, and the spirit it was held in was something else. The top few guys almost seemed to be supporting each other out there, nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Caprica

I thought the pole vault was fantastic. A great battle between Kendricks and Duplantis. However, beyond the Top 3, I thought the quality was a bit disappointing. Great Men’s 800, Vazquez threw down the gauntlet but maybe if he was a bit more restrained he could have nabbed a medal. Brazier ran the perfect race I thought Tuka was looking strong entering the straight but he was to far back.

I think the women’s 200, with all the drop outs, is a bit low on quality. I can’t see Asher-Smith being beaten. I think Gemili done all his running in the heats and semis, just ran out of steam in last few meters. I expected a faster time from Lyles, he won but it wasn’t his most impressive.

I think the schedule should put on a long distance final every night, it really seems to get the crowd going, that was a bit missing tonight. I recorded on the BBC, the amount of filler was unreal, was fast forwarding a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

KSU wrote: »
    Credit to Julian and Brazier. That American record has been holding on for dear life in recent times. Doing it in Championships when it counts.

Surely Julian is every bit as guilty as Salazar? He can’t have worked at NOP since 2008 and seen none/been aware of the stuff Salazar has been implicated in? I know you can’t obviously answer that, but surely casts clouds over his coaching & athletes also.

Edit: Answer in the Salazar thread rather than derailing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Pherekydes wrote: »
    800m was a mad race. Vazquez is nuts.

I watched him do the same in 2 or 3 Diamond League races this year.

Gemili SB'd so I don't know if he left it all out there in the heats and semi. Commentators were suggesting he attacked the bend too hard and tied up as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

For anyone interested I did a couple of features on Dina Asher-Smith and Karsten Warholm.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-athletics-championships-doha-2019-6033/news/feature/women/100-metres

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/news/karsten-warholm-400m-hurdles-doha-champion

There's one on Sinead Diver too but that won't be published until before the NYC marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Solid run from Mageean, fast enough heat, but did exactly what she needed to. Doesn't really give much away as to what kind of shape she's in, hopefully can make the final

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

28064212 wrote: »
    Solid run from Mageean, fast enough heat, but did exactly what she needed to. Doesn't really give much away as to what kind of shape she's in, hopefully can make the final

I thought she looked very comfortable and far less laboured than we’ve seen her in previous Worlds.

Very slow pace and ended up running 3s off her PB. She looks to be in great shape

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I thought Mageean looked very good in that heat. Was never off the pace and didn’t seem to have to push too hard to be in the top 6. Commentators on BBC thought her coming through that small gap was a bit dodgy but it didn’t look too bad to me.

Hopefully she’ll make it to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ciara looked comfortable. Still a stacked final.

• Advertisement

Gulf state corruption in the 110m hurdles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Really enjoying these championships...

until tonight!

Can anybody explain wtf just happened with Michael Norman???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Choochtown wrote: »

Not Michael Norman, anyway. Bizarre. Something else going on behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Choochtown wrote: »
    Really enjoying these championships...

until tonight!

He bottled it!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

What are all those 'dry cleaner' yokes (or fish eyes if you like) outside the track?
    Art?
    Chutes to the changing rooms?
    Teleport nodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Roadtoad wrote: »
    What are all those 'dry cleaner' yokes (or fish eyes if you like) outside the track?
    Art?
    Teleport nodes?

Air conditioning because of heat/humidity.

Stupid BBC making the switch to BBC2 too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Asher-smith as expected dominant in the 200 delighted for her she is very likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Delighted for Asher-Smith. Always such a happy person.

Typically mad Hurdles race. Holloway is such a ridiculous talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Art?
    Teleport nodes?

Air conditioning ducts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Art?
    Teleport nodes?

Air conditioning ducts.

B is making a habit of beating you to the punch! 😂

Faugheen wrote: »
    I thought she looked very comfortable
    I thought Mageean looked very good in that heat
    That's the thing, Mageean always looks comfortable, even when she's at max effort. Remember Glasgow, where she looked like she was strolling home even when she was overtaken by the silver medallist. Yet she had pushed hard enough to be throwing up when she was interviewed 5 minutes after she had finished.

Looking forward to the semi-final. 5 fastest guaranteed, and she has the 6th fastest SB in her heat.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

I'm hoping yesterdays race didn't take too much out of her considering the other 2 heats were considerably slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I'm hoping yesterdays race didn't take too much out of her considering the other 2 heats were considerably slower.

Since she moved to Manchester her been focused a lot more on strength (more 5k type work) as a result she has been fairly good for running rounds so should be able to handle it pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not like Ciara had much choice anyway. In the first of the heats, she had to finish top 6, rather than second-guess the fastest loser times. She had to run that fast irrespective of the cost. 6th Place in her heat was 24/100ths of a second behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,432 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ciara is in heat 1 tonight at 21:00....be a great result if she got to the final....

Only 3-4 athletes in the heat faster than her...5-6 faster than her in heat 2

She will need to be at PB level I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

walshb wrote: »
    Ciara is in heat 1 tonight at 21:00....be a great result if she got to the final....

I'm afraid there are 5 on SBs and I think the same number on PB. SB is nearly more important really. It'll be tough but doable if she's on top form. Yes, will need close to a PB I reckon, depending on early pace of course.

Not like Ciara had much choice anyway. In the first of the heats, she had to finish top 6, rather than second-guess the fastest loser times. She had to run that fast irrespective of the cost. 6th Place in her heat was 24/100ths of a second behind her.
    But seventh was a good 1.4s back, she definitely could have eased up a little on the final lap. Easy to say that in hindsight of course, very hard to be confident you won't be out-kicked when you're 400m out.
    walshb wrote: »

5 in her heat have PBs faster than hers, all of which has been set this season. With 5 to qualify, she'll definitely have to be in top form

• Registered Users Posts: 54,432 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Itziger wrote: »
    I'm afraid there are 5 on SBs and I think the same number on PB. SB is nearly more important really. It'll be tough but doable if she's on top form. Yes, will need close to a PB I reckon, depending on early pace of course.

Indeed. She needs to not 'race' here, and just run the race as hard as she can till the end......almost time trial like....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Very good atmosphere in stadium tonight and good attendance. They've even opened up seats previously blocked off. It will be empty by end of session because it goes on too late. But overall, the attendances have been improving a lot as the championships have gone on.

They are giving away free tickets. Sense prevails.

Advertisement