Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Caprica

That’s was a great 10k. I didn’t expect such fast times. The Kenyans really threw it down to Hassan but she was up to them. A brave attempt by Gidew, she looked so easy but had no answer to Hassan once she went pass. A fantastic run by Sinead Driver.

Wasn’t that bothered by the 100, fingers crossed Coleman turns up for the medal ceremony. Good to see Tortu make the final. Very disappointed for Lavillenie. I really enjoyed the Japanese in the mixed relay, didn’t work out for them but they give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

A very very creditable performance from Brendan Boyce to finish in 6th place in the 50k walk. ... looked strong finishing

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

unichick wrote: »
    Delighted for Hassan winning the 10k. She’s been knocking on the door a long time. Always love watching her run.

100m was ok but really miss Bolt in it.

You complain about Coleman then say you miss Bolt!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭unichick

nannerby wrote: »
    You complain about Coleman then say you miss Bolt!!!!

Bolt didn’t miss 3 drug tests. And was a showman.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

unichick wrote: »
    Bolt didn’t miss 3 drug tests.

Neither did Coleman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Neither did Coleman.

He missed a drug test on April 26, 2019, his third missed test since June 2018.

WADAs' interpretation of the rule backdated his first failure to April 1, 2018, instead of the date it occurred, June 6, 2018.

This "technicality" meant USADA didn't have to pursue it.

STB. wrote: »
    He missed a drug test on April 26, 2019, his third missed test since June 2018.

WADAs' interpretation of the rule backdated his first failure to April 1, 2018, instead of the date it occurred, June 6, 2018.

This "technicality" meant USADA didn't have to pursue it.

A whereabouts filing failure is not a missed test!

The reason USADA dropped the case is because there was no case.

Has anyone actually read this link:

https://www.3wiresports.com/articles/2019/9/2/q671frgu0owwde6y4mykn44y72s0aw?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted for Hassan last night, brilliant race! Some of her splits were incredible, 3:59.09 final 1,500 and last mile in 4:18.94. Really exciting finish when Gidey put the foot down with a mile to go, I was a bit worried she was gonna run away from the field. Can't wait to see what'll happen with the 5k, and who'll choose to run it.

I think Hassan has a better chance of winning the 5,000 but I'd like to see her try the 1500, would be an amazing double to do. I heard the commentator last night say that Gidey wouldn't be doubling, yet as far as I can see she's still entered in the 5k. She'll surely run it after last night? Because if Hassan doesn't enter then I'd have Gidey as the favourite there. Obiri, meanwhile, has said she might scratch the 5k after last night, but I hope she still gives it a go. So its unlikely, but we could potentially have a situation where Hassan, Obiri and Gidey won't be running the 5k, in addition to Tirop who didn't enter. Would be extremely open if so with Klosterhalfen as the favourite, and the door may even be open for McColgan to get in the medal mix? As I said it's unlikely all of the big 3 won't run, but would be interesting to see how it pans out.

Oh and brilliant PB's from Krumins and Sinéad Diver as well, what an incredible woman to be able to run like that at 42!

Pherekydes wrote: »
    A whereabouts filing failure is not a missed test!

The reason USADA dropped the case is because there was no case.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code, international federations (IFs) and National Anti-Doping Organisations (NADOs) are required to establish an RTP of a limited number of elite athletes. Athletes selected to be part of an RTP must submit ‘whereabouts’ information, including indicating where they will be available for testing for one hour in each 24. They must submit this information through WADA’s Anti-Doping Administration and Management System (ADAMS) three months in advance, although locations can later be amended.

The logic behind provision of this information is that any anti-doping organisation (ADO), national federation or event organiser can locate an athlete in an RTP for a surprise test at any time – not just within the one hour specified slot.

ALL athletes have signed up to this to combat cheating.

He was not where his "Whereabouts Filings" said he would be on 6 June 2018, 16 January and 26 April 2019. All of these are within one year.

He got off on a technicality.

That will all change when the new rules come out next month. The draft of those rules are already in the publc domain. USADA would have sanctioned him with three Filing Failures based on the dates on which the tests occurred under the new rules.

Christian Coleman cannot be face of athletics after missed tests - Michael Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Question for the sprinters and coaches on here. What kind of cadence/steps per minute would these top 100 metre lads be doing?

Just curious. Looking at a replay there of last night, Christ they look rapid!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Itziger wrote: »
    Question for the sprinters and coaches on here. What kind of cadence/steps per minute would these top 100 metre lads be doing?

Just curious. Looking at a replay there of last night, Christ they look rapid!!

Plenty of info available here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Huge crowds at this

• Registered Users Posts: 54,432 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sub 48 first lap there....

Some athletes these 800 lads...

Pure pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,600 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Huge crowds at this

Very poor atmosphere and very poor crowds this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Very poor atmosphere and very poor crowds this evening.

Expect more of the same. We all know why the championship is in Doha and it isn't for good of athletes, supporters or athletics as a whole.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Huge crowds at this

I'd say there was more at the AAI champs in Santry then was in the stadium tonight:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Watching the Women's 100m medalists doing their lap of honour to an empty stadium was a very sad sight indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,600 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Its ridiculous.

Holding sporting events in locations with no sporting culture.

World Cup
    European golf tour
    Athletics

People might say well show them the culture and open their eyes?

Its just money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I've been to 42 countries and this place is by far the worst place I've ever been. It's an appalling place, run by lazy locals who are only rich because they stumbled across oil, who get migrant workers to do all their slave labour for them while they live off their hard work. Athletics will move on past this debacle. We will have sell out crowds in Tokyo and Eugene. Spare a thought for the appalling human rights violations that go on here.

The World Cup will be a ****storm to end all ****storms.

Oh and 10 euro a pint at happy hour? Ehhh what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sounds even worse than Dubai, another hellhole whose doors I will never again darken.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I've been to 42 countries and this place is by far the worst place I've ever been. It's an appalling place, run by lazy locals who are only rich because they stumbled across oil, who get migrant workers to do all their slave labour for them while they live off their hard work. Athletics will move on past this debacle. We will have sell out crowds in Tokyo and Eugene. Spare a thought for the appalling human rights violations that go on here.

You sell the place well... sounds delightful...
    Is there any atmosphere in the stadium at all?.
    I would have thought that there might have been some interest in both 100m finals..
    If the attendance was poor for them races then theres no hope for the rest of the week.

Ceepo wrote: »
    You sell the place well... sounds delightful...
    Is there any atmosphere in the stadium at all?.
    I would have thought that there might have been some interest in both 100m finals..
    If the attendance was poor for them races then theres no hope for the rest of the week.

There's an Ethiopian community there it seems and of course they're more interested in the distance events. Biggish crowd on the night of the women's 10,00 for example. Little interest in sprints.

Schippers is out of Phil Healy's heat of the 200m, off at 15:05. Improves her chances of making the semis.

Edited to add: Apparently Ta Lou is also out of Phil's heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Tough on Phil, she was close to PB shape back in April and season looked promising. Tough to get back from injury and then maintain a season all the way to the end of September.

Also I wouldn't underestimate the effect heat, and Doha in general, is having on some athletes in their build up. Even if stadium is cooled, the training facilities are not, getting about during the day could be quite draining, even on the sprinters!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Chivito550 wrote: »

But the beauty is, once the oil runs out nobody will touch the place with a bargepole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Interested to see what Seyni will do in the final. Surprised that Cram brought up the speculation about her possible DSD status.

Gaby not pulling punches with the IAAF lad on BBC. Good for her. Gone up a bit in my estimation, not taking his bull$hit.

Itziger wrote: »
    Gaby not pulling punches with the IAAF lad on BBC. Good for her. Gone up a bit in my estimation, not taking his bull$hit.

Was just going to post the same. Fair play to her. Took the head off him. Him being John Ridgeon, a former hurdler and and now CEO of IAAF.

The army was brought in to sit in the stadium to bulk up the numbers FFS!

Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

It's Jon Ridgeon whose the CEO of the IAAF, defending the indefensible.

Absolutely scrapping the barrel with his excuses too! The Qataris have to go to work early and their not really into the sprints - (with his fingers crossed) hoping for a bigger turn out for the middle distance finals - ironically at the same time as the sprints.

The BBC cameras scanning the emtpy stadium too.

• Advertisement

Advertisement