Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

They don't name them, don't show their faces and doesn't even show what they were taking!!!

That is all true. And maybe theres nothing sinister in it. It could genuinely be some random guy getting the flu jab.

On the other hand maybe the reporter has more information regarding what was shown on the clip, such as names of athletes, doctors and type of drugs that were being administered..
    And just hasn't released that information yet.. for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ceepo wrote: »
    That is all true. And maybe theres nothing sinister in it. It could genuinely be some random guy getting the flu jab.

On the other hand maybe the reporter has more information regarding what was shown on the clip, such as names of athletes, doctors and type of drugs that were being administered..
    And just hasn't released that information yet.. for whatever reason

Yep you could totally be right. Its just funny how media react to half a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Some of the timetabling is absurd. The marathons start at midnight, local time. The 50k walks start at half eleven! They will finish after 3 a.m.!

The multis will finish after midnight, meaning they will take place on 3 calendar days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Better than the marathon starting at midday.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Better than the marathon starting at midday.

No idea how thr body will react at midnight. It will still be 30 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I have looked at the forecast for the duration of the championships. The lowest high is 36 and the lowest low is 30!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

According to this French website the Marathon may even be cancelled! It says a decision could be made up to an hour before the start time. Surely not?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Can't believe it all kicks off on Friday, getting excited now!

The Women's 10,000m has to be one of the most intriguing events, I mean we've got very little to go on so who knows what'll happen. Hassan and Obiri will be running the distance at a major championship for the first time, and have respective PB's of 31:18 and 31:25. I'm guessing they can both go a lot faster though, so I hope it's a face race. Gidey has the world lead with 30:37 and will surely be in the medal mix. Something I actually missed is that Tirop isn't running the 5k and is instead only focusing on this race, so obviously she's feeling confident. Of course no-one's talking about the fact that the world record holder and defending champion Ayana will be running, but who know's what kind of shape she's in. Just a couple of months ago she said she rated her current fitness at about 30% and she was a total non-factor at the Prefontaine 3k. So who on Earth knows how it'll all go down. I hope for a fast, sub 30 minute race with 4 or 5 still in contention at the bell, which is probably asking for too much, but at least Ayana will try to push the pace if she's in any way fit. Hoping for good races too from McColgan, Krumins and our very own Sinéad Diver, even if she is running for Australia :( Can't wait!

The Women's 10,000m has to be one of the most intriguing events, I mean we've got very little to go on so who knows what'll happen. Hassan and Obiri will be running the distance at a major championship for the first time, and have respective PB's of 31:18 and 31:25. I'm guessing they can both go a lot faster though, so I hope it's a face race. Gidey has the world lead with 30:37 and will surely be in the medal mix. Something I actually missed is that Tirop isn't running the 5k and is instead only focusing on this race, so obviously she's feeling confident. Of course no-one's talking about the fact that the world record holder and defending champion Ayana will be running, but who know's what kind of shape she's in. Just a couple of months ago she said she rated her current fitness at about 30% and she was a total non-factor at the Prefontaine 3k. So who on Earth knows how it'll all go down. I hope for a fast, sub 30 minute race with 4 or 5 still in contention at the bell, which is probably asking for too much, but at least Ayana will try to push the pace if she's in any way fit. Hoping for good races too from McColgan, Krumins and our very own Sinéad Diver, even if she is running for Australia :( Can't wait!

Has Hassan said she is doing 10,000? She down for 1500, 5000 and 10000 but will do two.

I think the mens 400 hurdles is the main one for me. Three top class runners there

Has Hassan said she is doing 10,000? She down for 1500, 5000 and 10000 but will do two.

I think the mens 400 hurdles is the main one for me. Three top class runners there

According to this post from NOP it seems she is, and is currently trying to decide what other one to do with it, but who knows. Wait and see I guess. 5k/10k seems the most probable but it'd be mad for someone to set the mile WR and then not run the 1500 at World's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Wpw, really? Never really thought I'd see a women's 10.000 result starting with a 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Itziger wrote: »
    Wpw, really? Never really thought I'd see a women's 10.000 result starting with a 2!

Did you miss the Olympic final?

Four went under 30 minutes at the last Olympics. Although Ayana has now withdrawn from Doha so highly unlikely we'll it again on Saturday.

Fook! (Hobbles off to watch Rio 10,000. on YouTube)

I'm sure I've seen it. In fact, I'm sure I saw it live on TV. Can't remember it being sub 30 though. Memory is shot to pieces....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mikewebb1

Fook! (Hobbles off to watch Rio 10,000. on YouTube)

I'm sure I've seen it. In fact, I'm sure I saw it live on TV. Can't remember it being sub 30 though. Memory is shot to pieces....
    Ya Radcliffe of all people was throwing shade at Ayana

mikewebb1 wrote: »
    Ya Radcliffe of all people was throwing shade at Ayana

Of course I remebered the Ayana show the minute I clicked on it. It was a performance that made you sit up and take note alright. As for Paula commenting on it..................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Didn't see there was a thread for the worlds.

Like I said on the TV thread, no one in the stadium. Tonight will be more of a measure of how well these champs will be attended.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Didn't see there was a thread for the worlds.

Like I said on the TV thread, no one in the stadium. Tonight will be more of a measure of how well these champs will be attended.

Article from the Irish Times a couple of days ago said they were expecting an average of 20,000 a night. That's *slightly* less than the 70,000 per night that London got :pac:

Article from the Irish Times a couple of days ago said they were expecting an average of 20,000 a night. That's *slightly* less than the 70,000 per night that London got :pac:

Not a chance. The top tier and many rows of the bottom tier are tarped off. Most of the crowd will be made up of athletes and officials of the competing countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Karma for Lyndsey Sharp!!

• Advertisement

Good run by Tomas Barr in 400mH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good run by Tomas Barr in 400mH.

Yep. Tough heat too.

491752.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Going to drop this here. Haven't heard the new term in 2 hours of commentary!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/26/iaaf-drop-fastest-loser-world-championships
    Great to see Barr through!

Heat 2 of the 400 slower, all looked to be struggling bar McMaster.

491753.jpg

Heat 3. Samba got on top at the end. Time good.

491755.jpg

Heat 4 Benjamin spent the length of the run in watching the clock.

491756.jpg

is_that_so wrote: »
    Going to drop this here. Haven't heard the new term in 2 hours of commentary!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/26/iaaf-drop-fastest-loser-world-championships
    Great to see Barr through!

Richard Kilty wants Barry Hearn to come in 'sort out' the sport like boxing to appeal to more fans.

No Richard, awarding the Championships to athletics friendly nations instead of hosting it in the middle of a desert will make the sport more appealing.

Women's marathon not until midnight Doha time (from 9.55 here).

That hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Apparently Jacob has been DQ'd for stepping off the track in the heat

• Advertisement

Advertisement