Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It's about time they reset the world records in lots of the female events. Considering there are such significant bonuses available for setting new world records in events where it seems that most are unreachable without 'assistance'. In the 400m the times of Koch and Kratochvilova are out of reach for clean athletes...expunge them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's about time they reset the world records in lots of the female events. Considering there are such significant bonuses available for setting new world records in events where it seems that most are unreachable without 'assistance'. In the 400m the times of Koch and Kratochvilova are out of reach for clean athletes...expunge them

But how do you decide what is creditable if you start to expunge records. Remember we all thought Radcliffe marathon record and the women's 10,000m record were untouchable, also what about the on the mens side, is the 100m untouchable.. Or the mile and 1500.. Or the mens marathon, are they to be believed,

I don't disagree with your point BTW,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ceepo wrote: »
    But how do you decide what is creditable if you start to expunge records. Remember we all thought Radcliffe marathon record and the women's 10,000m record were untouchable, also what about the on the mens side, is the 100m untouchable.. Or the mile and 1500.. Or the mens marathon, are they to be believed,

I don't disagree with your point BTW,

I accept it would be impossible to select particular events. I really don't know the answer. It's a terrible position for the sport to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Just start the records again. Pick what they believe to be an achievable clean result for each event as a start. We forever have pre 2020 records and post 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Just start the records again. Pick what they believe to be an achievable clean result for each event as a start. We forever have pre 2020 records and post 2020.

Considering we have had no drug testing for the last 3 months, and dopers gonna dope, 2022 might be more the time to expunge all records and start again as I'd say we have a pretty dodgy period upcoming where a few records might be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

It's more or less impossible to draw a line in the records/sand. Obviously, the East German stuff and some other Soviet athletic achievements from back in the day are dodgy but let's not think we're all fine now or will be anytime soon.

One of the most cynical and pathetic versions of that hope was the Post-Festina era in cycling. 1999, the new all-clean Lance and Co. era. I mean, it wasn't exactly just Lance!! There must have been Tours where there were only a handful of clean riders.

So, hoping things will be better from date X on, well it doesn't really make much sense to be honest even though we now have blood passports and such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I say the higher percentage is dirty in athletics than clean sadly.

Big countries picking on Russia only, must be hiding something about their own

• Registered Users Posts: 54,432 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The usual pessimism about records..

Every WR is astounding. They are world records...they are meant to be astounding

Picking one or two as being more astounding is guess work. And no sense.

400 metres women vs say Edwards triple jump?

What’s better? Impossible to say. Both exceptional human feats..

EL Gs 3:26 1500 v women’s 800? Again, impossible to say. Both exceptional.

I mean, if folks are picking records here and there for expunging, why stop at 1/2/3? They are all capable of being argued as exceptional and the best and the toughest to break...

Just enjoy them..

Personally I think the Flo Jo 10.49 (dodgy wind reader notwithstanding) is the most dominant. But several others come close. Bolt 9.58 and Rudisha sub 1.41 800 spring to mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

Some of the cynicism is justified

The Czechs and the east Germans had doping programs

Large numbers of Kenyans and Moroccans have been banned

• Advertisement

Chicoso wrote: »
    Some of the cynicism is justified

The Czechs and the east Germans had doping programs

Large numbers of Kenyans and Moroccans have been banned

Of course cynicism can be justified..

But picking out a few records here and there is unfair.

Sure some think ALL records are dirty..

You could just take all records pre 1988 (before out of comp testing came in) and expunge

But post 1988 when better supplements and drugs were available...expunge all these, too?

walshb wrote: »
    Of course cynicism can be justified..

But picking out a few records here and there is unfair.

Sure some think ALL records are dirty..

You could just take all records pre 1988 (before out of comp testing came in) and expunge

But post 1988 when better supplements and drugs were available...expunge all these, too?

Red herring imo

Sure the farce will start all over again once they're reset

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

walshb wrote: »
    The usual pessimism about records..

Every WR is astounding. They are world records...they are meant to be astounding

Picking one or two as being more astounding is guess work. And no sense.

400 metres women vs say Edwards triple jump?

What’s better? Impossible to say. Both exceptional human feats..

EL Gs 3:26 1500 v women’s 800? Again, impossible to say. Both exceptional.

I mean, if folks are picking records here and there for expunging, why stop at 1/2/3? They are all capable of being argued as exceptional and the best and the toughest to break...

Just enjoy them..

Personally I think the Flo Jo 10.49 (dodgy wind reader notwithstanding) is the most dominant. But several others come close. Bolt 9.58 and Rudisha sub 1.41 800 spring to mind!

You're at it again :pac:

You're at it again :pac:

No. They’re at it again!

Bit of a wind up alright with the womens 400 and 800 and el guerrouj

Who's to say Walshb could be right lol

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Surprised nobody posted it yesterday, but now Christian Coleman's been provisionally suspended for yet another whereabouts failure. Even after all the controversy upon his arrival to Doha he does it yet again, I think this is the 4th time. Naturally he's completely innocent and he's being wronged, as per his social media:
    https://twitter.com/__coleman/status/1273013031249813507

Dai Greene posted a rather glorious takedown of his nonsense, it's a good read

https://twitter.com/DaiGreene/status/1273315352555008002

Hopefully he's looking at a suspension now, he may miss the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Surprised nobody posted it yesterday, but now Christian Coleman's been provisionally suspended for yet another whereabouts failure. Even after all the controversy upon his arrival to Doha he does it yet again, I think this is the 4th time. Naturally he's completely innocent and he's being wronged, as per his social media:
    https://twitter.com/__coleman/status/1273013031249813507

Dai Greene posted a rather glorious takedown of his nonsense, it's a good read

https://twitter.com/DaiGreene/status/1273315352555008002

Hopefully he's looking at a suspension now, he may miss the Olympics.

There is a thread on it ;)

He has been suspended already, but the duration has not been set.

Ceepo wrote: »
    There is a thread on it ;)

He has been suspended already, but the duration has not been set.

giphy.gif

Let's hope he gets a nice lengthy ban then so, both his and Naser's attitudes make a mockery of the sport.

By the way, should we start a thread for general athletic/diamond league etc. news? There doesn't seem to be one, and the forum is generally quiet enough so threads like yours could easily be missed. Would it be a good idea to have one thread where we could put everything, so it wouldn't be missed by anyone? Maybe I'm wrong, idk.

Advertisement