Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    I thought the registration was gone in canada ?
    Since 2012, but until then they had it, and firearms licenses are still required for restricted firearms. A gun license is registration. So not a second amendment situation.

Tac Foley will know the gun laws better.
    I also thought son of castro would have tried again, him being such a sjw.
    People kind, FFS, a little respect for his self identity as "a people", not a son. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Subtle mockery is one thing lad, but lets "keep it country".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cass wrote: »

I'm not going to attempt to get into the social, political and financial comparisons/differences between Ireland and Russia because i'm woefully uneducated in the matter.

As a Russian who lived in Ireland once said."For change to happen for their people,Russia is too big and Ireland is too small."

Think that really sums it up.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

This does the job way better than I can - https://www.vox.com/2014/10/24/7047547/canada-gun-law-us-comparison

It's not quite as much of a PITA as the Brits have to put up with on the mainland, but it's close.

There are a few things that you would find odd - including the one where the minimum barrel length thing means that every standard Luger AKA P.08 has a barrel 1mm too short to be legal, unless its a grandfathered firearm. As a result, there is lot after-market 1mm longer Luger barrel gun-smithing going on.

Five-round magazines are the norm.

But certainly the ways and means of getting your gun legally are far and beyond what you have to do. Getting your PAL - permission to acquire and license, is compulsory and costs you. Going a stage further to get your RPAL - 'Restricted' PAL, even more so. And because of the sheer hugity of Canada, crossing from one province into another requires a transportation permit for your firearm. Remember that the entire RoI is only slightly larger than Lake Superior, itself one of the five great lakes.

Things we CAN do in Canada that right now you have restrictions for are reloading and shooting live ammunition from BP firearms.

....and hunt with the bow in our own bow-hunting season.

However, please don't ask me about Québec.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

They also have gun registration, limits on what you can own, and no second amendment.

In fact some of our laws are based on Canadian ones.

Americans are utterly opposed to any form of gun registration/control and the second amendment does not require it. Some states implement gun registration for certain types or all types of firearms, but in general it's opposed. However Americans have thad this for over 240 years whereas places like Ireland have always had gun control and it's what we grew up with.

It's also down to our thought processes. Having had this freedom along with the first amendment that allows them to discuss anything they want including combatting the Government they can speak freely and without fear of oppression. We don't have this. Ireland has a free speech in our constitution (article 40.6) but its not like the American one in that it limits that speech up to the point of sedition or anything that contravenes the security/safety of the state. IOW it's limited and i don't know any other country in the world that has true freedom of speech. Look at the UK. You write the wrong thing on Facebook and it's jail.

We're a fairly new country being just 100 years old. Our attitudes have been shaped by our descendants and the hundreds of years as being a ruled nation. It's why we are slow to adopt to renting a property for a lifetime instead of buying it like people do in other countries. As a result we tend to follow the rules/laws regardless of whether we agree with them or not. It's the cap in hand attitude that we see daily. We controversy or scandal occurs we are outraged, but not quite enough to anything about it.

As i said above i'm not an expert, and in fact not even well versed on the issues, but there are some obvious enough differences that could be slightly related to the causes of these tragedies.

The old boys who fought for independence were proud of our country and very libertarian in outlook, despite the media's portrayal of us being indentured to the church and whatever.

My grandfather ran messages for the fighters, he was born in 1909 so was just too young to take arms. I also knew another old boy who was shot at by the Black and Tans when running messages.

I remember a great feeling of freedom and egalitarianism here in my youth and we weren't/aren't any better off than our neighbours (maybe it was just me, because I remember a lot of people who deeply hated this place, but could never understand why).

• Advertisement

My dad was born in 1904, and was old enough to go to prison, which he did. Until the Truce, when he, along with all the other Irishmen imprisoned for taking action against the British, was set free at the same time as the British flag came down in Dublin Castle.

Darn it, I forgot to mention that ALL sound moderators are prohibited in Canada. Serious jail time for possession, folks. And i mean years and years.

yubabill wrote: »
    The old boys who fought for independence were proud of our country and very libertarian in outlook, despite the media's portrayal of us being indentured to the church and whatever.

My grandfather ran messages for the fighters, he was born in 1909 so was just too young to take arms. I also knew another old boy who was shot at by the Black and Tans when running messages.

I remember a great feeling of freedom and egalitarianism here in my youth and we weren't/aren't any better off than our neighbours (maybe it was just me, because I remember a lot of people who deeply hated this place, but could never understand why).

"The past is a foreign country.They do things differently there" LP Hartley.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

What do you think of Bruton's plan to introduce a new charge to get rid of the telly licence ? So even if you don't have a television, but are watching videos on your computer or phone, you have to pay it ? Irish water mk 2 imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

What do you think of Bruton's plan to introduce a new charge to get rid of the telly licence ? So even if you don't have a television, but are watching videos on your computer or phone, you have to pay it ? Irish water mk 2 imho.

They could put up a pay wall like Sky or many newspapers but they're probably afraid no one would pay.

• Advertisement

sfakiaman wrote: »
    They could put up a pay wall like Sky or many newspapers but they're probably afraid no one would pay.

I do not watch rte. Thankfully the satellite box i have does not pick up irish stations, neither does the television i have, but this lot of gangsters wants me to pay for something i do not receive ?

Paywall ? No way in hell would i pay for that dross, when you get the likes of Joe duffy paid 500,000 a year to talk crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's a second household charge. A property tax on top of the property tax if you will.

"And today the Irish govt decided to introduce a tax on all potential users of fast food outlets,as they may drop in to use the lavatory,and not as purchase a courtsey pack of chips!"
    THAT is literally the kind of logic behind this.:mad:

The only way around this is literally become an Amish,and there are all of 75 of them here...And eschrew all technologial advancements since the 1600s in your life.:)

Otherwise, our only choice is to hit the streets and tell the PTB ,that this and reverse water charges is going to be a non-runner...Why do ye think they are only bringing this in in 5 years time? Hoping they will be out of govt and let the greens and whomever else deal with the massive dung pile on the desk this will be,or that the fuss and fire will have burnt itself out in the bog of Irish apathy.

Privatise or sell off rte, aka the government propaganda channel. Problem solved. They claim rte is 20 million in the red and that shortfall needs making up. How about not paying very mediocre "stars" ridiculous salaries for a start ? Mariane finucaine getting a quarter million a year for an hours work everyday ?

I'll never support them again after the hatchet jobs they did on us in their "primeslime" show.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Ah now come on thats all very harsh. Sure where would we be without Fair City to give out about.

solarwinds wrote: »
    Ah now come on thats all very harsh. Sure where would we be without Fair City to give out about.

Jaysis, the Ballydung players on the box :rolleyes:. I wonder to how many people that programme was the last straw, and off to find a bridge or get a length of rope ?

RTE ...Marginally better than 1970s East German state TV.In how the newsroom looks that is.

Hasan Piker, a "contributor" for TYT said that America deserved 9/11 and when speaking about Dan Crenshaw called the terrorist that took his eye a "brave f**king soldier".

He immediately deleted the podcast but it got picked up.

He was brought on to TYT by his Uncle, Cenk Uyger, and the first words out of Cenk's mouth were "so you said these things on your podcast, NOT on TYT". So immediately distancing himself from his Nephews comments. Within three minutes Hasan said that people were too stupid to understand what he meant, but continued on to say his comments were inappropriate and he apologizes for them. You can see he meant none of what he said and as the "get in front of this" side show continued and he was allowed to talk he not only dooubled down but attacked again..

Back tot he start of the "please don't take out sponsorship money away" marathon, and Cenk says, and i quote "You tried to remove the podcast before some right winger could politicise it". Notice what he said. Not before any American seen it, any reporter seen it, or basically you shouldn't have done that, but right winger. Implying that to find fault with what hasan said you must be right wing, hence Nazi/White supremacist.

He [Hasan] then "defends" his comments about the Congressman by saying it was a satirical reference to Rambo 3, and Ronald Reagan. Again if the audience did not understand that when he said :
    "This guy [Crenshaw] has the understanding of foreign policy of, like, a 12-year-old. What the f***. What the f*** is wrong with this dude? Didn't he go to war and like literally lose his eye because some mujahideen — a brave f***ing soldier — f***ed his eye hole with their d***?"

"Isn't that how he f***ing lost his dumba** eye, because he got his f***ing eye hole f***ed, by a brave soldier?"
    ....... that he was being satirical then their right wingers. They even show a pictures from the 80s of Ronald Reagan meeting Mujahideen men to prove this is what he was referencing.

He then says that Crenshaw took the insult "like a champ" and through his "blaming Crenshaw" non apology he once again let his mouth run away from his brain and ends up attacking Crenshaw at which point his Uncle has to cut him off and you can see Hasan physically tense up, grit his teeth and become pissed off.

At the end Cenk continues to use the word satire in relation to the attack, as if saying it enough times will change the narrative, and highlights it was not done on TYT network.

I've steered away from American politics over the last few months because it's tiresome and there is enough mud slinging on both sides to tire even the most ardent follower but some of the stuff coming out recently is just mind bogglingly (is that a word) messed up. Like when MSNBC "interviewed" a former FBI guy who said Trump lowering the flags to half mast until August 8th (after the dual mass shootings) is a sign he is a white supremacist because August 8th is 8-8, which for white supremacists is H-H (8th letter of the alphabet) and that stands for Heil Hitler.

What is worse is the so called interviewer responds with "so as chilling as that is to hear". As if it were absolute fact.

In the immortal words of Professor Farnsworth:

Pyker speaks 3 langauges English,Turkish and German...and says nothing of note or intelligence in any of them!:rolleyes:

Just another "woke Bae" idiot with an opinion of which there are millions all trying to get their elusive 10 mins of fame.

For a gun company...Imagine going to your local FO with this one,and the deliberate misspelling that will happen:D:D:D

http://www.kuntarms.net/?fbclid=IwAR0e66fLppszypvHdcZCPrN-B_55b3zoWqLBwMldfn2lZD2I_uIxu0ub_7s#about

• Advertisement

Totally forgot about the raid on Area 51 that is happening either today or over the weekend. Knew i bought extra popcorn in the shopping this week for something.

Obligatory pic

area-51-2-5d2db8bf5d303__700.jpg

Don't know if anyone of you seen it, but President Trump just won the 2020 election today thanks to Nancy Pelosi, Democrat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Don't know if anyone of you seen it, but President Trump just won the 2020 election today thanks to Nancy Pelosi, Democrat.

It says it all about the Democrats, circle the wagons at any mention of corruption in their ranks and attack Trump for having the temerity to question their right to benefit from their insider position.

Edit. Just found the below. Not sure on the legality of adding links fo Mods feel free to remove.
    https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/24/democrats-wrote-to-ukraine-in-may-demanding-it-investigate-trump/

MY somewhat sarcastic post above was in relation to their [Democrats] inability to learn from past mistakes.

The took the Russia hoax by the horns and ran with it for over 2 years to the tune of $42 million and in the end they fired FBI directors and senior agents for lying.

The Democrats have tried to impeach the last four or five Republican Presidents yet the only two American Presidents to be impeached were Democrats Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton.

Jerry Nadler has had a formal complaint made against him to be removed from his position of Chair because he dropped all pretense and said he was using the house oversight judiciary to impeach President Trump which is illegal and against his party's wishes (he has been at this for weeks/months, and long before the announcement yesterday).

Now, and if anyone thinks its an accident that President Trump was "caught" phoning the Ukranian President, [Pelosi] under pressure from the younger/newer members of the Democrat party she has finally caved to pressure and announced their intent to seek impeachment.

What it will do is shine a really bright spotlight on Trump, at the start, then it'll move onto Biden, his son, and the Democratic party as a whole. It'll push Trump's ardent supporters further to his side, those in the middle towards him, and even if pigs fly, and hell freezes and they impeach President Trump it's not a removal from office offence. They need a supermajority to do so and with 60+ Democrats not supporting impeachment, no REpublicans, and a senate under Republican control it'll never happen.

One other thing, and it's on a different but related topic.

Google this "Joe Biden Ukraine Billion corruption".

The results are all Trump and Trump images/videos. Same on Youtube. You have to search and search and even using those key words the search results won't show Biden. The same thing happened with Epstein. They scrubbed Clinton from a lot/most search results.

Only last week Google, Facebook, etc. announced they are publishers, not a platform giving them permission to edit, alter and ban certain content. The reason this is vitally important is they claimed previously they were a platform and not responsible for the content. As a publisher they are essentially admitting they edit and alter search results and content.

It's why gun based youtube channels are being demonetized, banned. Why PayPal is refusing to allow gun sales via their "platform". Why Twitter/Facebook are censoring and banning conservative views/posts.

Plus the fact there is a video ofof "Gropey Joe" Biden admitting publically that HE himself did threaten to withold US aid money from the Ukraine unless the justice minister was removed.
    His son ,Hunter is a walking disaster area,dishonourbly discharged and cashierd out of the US Navy.Drug record for dealing crack,and being involved in more dodgy dealings and companies than Mark Thatcher..

Meantime 2020 draws nearer,and the Dems have nothing as a viable canditate in their utter clown car .A whole slew of old white men and women espousing Socialism,an idiot from Texas,whose gretest achivement was playing guitar dressed as a sheep in his Moms dress in a punk rock band ,and being arrested for DUI and burglary who has just shot the Dems literally in the head about their "no one is coming for your guns!" lie. Ol Beto is now the best recruiting Sargent for the NRA/GOA,and will feature for years at any pro gun conventions.:D

Elizabeth Warren AKA "Lieawatha"who claimed she is half Red Indian..
    Corey Brooker,now literally sitting with a cardboard sign on the internet saying "Will run for president for pennies!"is broke for campaign funds.

Their campaign promises are summed up as this "Ban guns,open borders and free stuff for all!":rolleyes:
    Going against a guy,love or hate him,who has increased the economy,got more ethnic groups employed than in the last 25 years.Put more money in the average Americans pocket,hasnt got the US involved in any new conflicts,respects the armed forces,and actually got talking to one of the "axis of evil" main boogey men.

I'd be very surprised if he isnt still in thhe House until 2024.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Plus the fact there is a video ofof "Gropey Joe" Biden admitting publically that HE himself did threaten to withold US aid money from the Ukraine unless the justice minister was removed.
    Here ya go:

And for those that think its RT, hence Russian "interference", here is ABC doing the same thing:

I'd be very surprised if he isnt still in thhe House until 2024.

He'll win in 2020, i'm fairly sure of that. The only real competitor he has is Warren. So perhaps a Warren/Sanders ticket because the rest will fall away due to finances, poor polling, or in the case of Robert, just a nutjob. I mean a criminal that cannot own a gun telling people he'll take their guns. Priceless.

The other thing is President Trump has done this "thing" a few times over the years. Leaked or seemed in trouble, the Dems jump on it, and he ends up sucker punching them.

He and his administration have said they will declassify all phone transcripts of his conversation with the Ukrainian President, all documents from the whistleblower, and AG reports on sad whistleblower by the end of the week.

Now unless you're on the bottom rung of the ladder in IQ terms you don't do this if thee is even a hint of impropriety. Even if some believe President Trump is that dumb, well he has a staff of over 1,100 so one of them would surely stop him from dropping the ball.

I'm dying to see what it says, and if it does vindicate him what the Dems will do to try and make it into something.

............ and if it does vindicate him what the Dems will do to try and make it into something.

HAH.

CNN, just now, saying even if President Trump's administration releases all the documents, transcripts, etc, etc. ....................... HOW CAN WE TRUST THEM?

Already laying the groundwork for the Dems "whoops, our bad. Let me just take back that impeachment thingy.".

They are so desperate for Trump not to be re-elected that they cannot focus on anything else except how to derail him and his re-election. They actually said this. They cannot focus on jobs, gun control, education, etc. because of their tireless work to stop Trump.

I'm dying to see what it says, ............

Just after reading the transcript.

It shows no signs of a quid pro quo (for the Ukrainians to investigate Joe Biden allegedly using his position as vice presidential to have a Ukrainian prosecutor fired for investigating his son’s business dealings in the country) or President Trump pressuring the Ukrainian President in any way. There was no mention of withholding aid, investment or any other financial penalties if he [Ukrainian President) did not investigate.

The entire piece, on Trump's end was a few lines. It was the Ukrainian President that offered more and went into much more detail.

See what happens next.

BTW - Its here if anyone wants a read.

• Advertisement

So in the last month we have been told we're getting or are facing:
    • Screen tax (so more RTE execs can go to Japan for free)
    • Fast Food tax
    • Meat ban (because feelings)
    • Second carbon tax (because a 16 yr old said so)
    and now...........

............. drum roll please ....................

......... a tariff (otherwise known as a tax) for usage of electricity during peak hours because the ESB said they are barely able to manage to meet requirements, now. Roll on a few years when we're all driving €50,000+ EVs, using aircon all summer because of the global warming, and then using heating all winter because of, er, global warming they won't be able to cope.

Advertisement