Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Shin Fein bandwagon jumping onto the lead shot ban,or something more?

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/new-gun-laws-unworkable-without-farmer-and-owner-dialogue/

I thought the marxist sinn'ers did not want guns in private hands ?

Cass wrote: »

We lost our Sovereignty and identity, and what little remained was handed over by our representatives. The same ones that have stood, unopposed for the most part, for the last 40 years. I can tell you who will win the elections in my area come the next general election. The same three men that have held their positions for over 80 years between the three of them. Why? Because no matter the damage, harm and betrayal they inflict the majority of voters always come back to "I've always voted X, i'm not changing now".

There is no real opposition to FF or FG and until that changes and people wake up and take an interest in how their country (we are a Republic) is being run into the ground it never will.

Yes, i seen a video of Eamon Ryan in the dail saying the population of Ireland should be increased to around 10 million, twice what it is now, i wonder who in Europe is pulling his strings to push for that ?

I really don't understand the irish and the way they vote, its just a box ticking exercise, they go and tick the same box everytime, for the same idiot, without ever actually thinking about why they are voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    Yes, i seen a video of Eamon Ryan in the dail saying the population of Ireland should be increased to around 10 million, twice what it is now, i wonder who in Europe is pulling his strings to push for that ?

I really don't understand the irish and the way they vote, its just a box ticking exercise, they go and tick the same box everytime, for the same idiot, without ever actually thinking about why they are voting for them.

We need the population increase to pay pensions.

Taxpayers pay for everyone's pension. But people are getting older, living longer and therefore living longer while drawing the pension.

That means that there are less and less workers chipping into the pension fund while there are more and more people drawing out of it.

I don't have exact figures but at the moment it's about 5 people of working age for every pensioner. In 2046 it's projected to be a little over 2 people of working age for every pensioner. Source (not very reliable) :)https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/pensions/irelands-ticking-pensions-timebomb-34772541.html

That's why we need a population increase. Well, one reason anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ah the "Educated and qualified Syrian engineers and doctors" idea,that Angelica Merkel said would enrich Germanys workforce and culture,and be good working German model citizens munching Bratwurst,swigging beer and driving Mercs and Audis, wotking under the belif that "Work frees you" I]Arbeit macht frei[/Iand paying into the German state pension to look after the elder German pouplation...MYTH! Has bitten hold here as well.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seeems we HAVE to make the same mistakes that every other western country has made on this topic.:rolleyes:Carry on then...And by 2046 we will definately be a minority in our own country and almost extinct,if already in 2019 the most pouplar Irish birth name is apprently already in Dublin Mohammed.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

BattleCorp wrote: »
    We need the population increase to pay pensions.

Taxpayers pay for everyone's pension. But people are getting older, living longer and therefore living longer while drawing the pension.

That means that there are less and less workers chipping into the pension fund while there are more and more people drawing out of it.

I don't have exact figures but at the moment it's about 5 people of working age for every pensioner. In 2046 it's projected to be a little over 2 people of working age for every pensioner. Source (not very reliable) :)https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/pensions/irelands-ticking-pensions-timebomb-34772541.html

That's why we need a population increase. Well, one reason anyway.

I think out of the 16 in my class in college, 14 emigrated, could not afford to live here, buy a house or start a family, so pissed off somewhere they could. So we export our own and import replacements ?

How about we get all these American multinationals to pay some tax first ? Rather than allowing them pay 0.00002 % in the Isle of Man (with our so-called government actually assisting them) or something equally stupid. Where are all these people going to live ? Dublin is literally bursting at the seams, places i used to shoot 20 years ago are now covered with literally thousands of shoddily built tacky apartments. I don't trust the old cabal of FF and a load of dodgy builders to solve the problem.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying let everyone in by any means.

I'm just saying that we are fcuked in years to come if we don't have an increase in the numbers of people paying tax.

That or increase the pension age to 85.

Proably going to have to rethink the whole concept of "work" anyway in the very near future.With more automation and robotoics coming on stream along with 1st gen artifical intelligence,even menial jobs will become a thing of the past.IE with all of the above technology,there wont be a big demand in California for seasonal workers anymore,so it might drop the illegal Mexican alien problem.

But that doesnt mean "respectable" jobs will be safe either. Who needs an accountant/bookeeper anymore when you can file your tax online or do it by computer?Do you need to go to a big marble building anymore ,paying thousands for a degree which you can now do at home in your own time via the internet for the fraction of the price of 3rd level.So long as you get a degree in something worthwhile that is..A degree in Lesbian gender studies of mediveal Ireland womens rights...Proably wont cut it.

Trades will definately make a comeback.The US is crying out for skilled tradesmen at the moment[Thanks Prez Trump!].Once people can get over the idea of Johnny or Mary working with their hands is as dignified as sitting in an office doing a job they proably hate.

So with pouplation increase,more automation,us living longer I wonder why the Hell they want us to live so long?Wouldnt it be better off if we ate,drank or smoked ourselves to death and allowed legal euthensia for those who want it? After all if we are all predicted to live into our high 90s by that point in time,somethings gotta give.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Or when you get too old and feeble to work, you are given a glass of whiskey and a pistol and told to do the decent thing for society.

Then into the composting bin with you. 😀

Or when you get too old and feeble to work, you are given a glass of whiskey and a pistol and told to do the decent thing for society.

Then into the composting bin with you. ��

"SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE" !

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

So with pouplation increase,more automation,us living longer I wonder why the Hell they want us to live so long?Wouldnt it be better off if we ate,drank or smoked ourselves to death and allowed legal euthensia for those who want it? After all if we are all predicted to live into our high 90s by that point in time,somethings gotta give.

Yeah i don't understand that either, the constant push for us to live longer. I was wandering around Leopardstown care home (built for the Irish injured of ww1, loads of British army stuff around) a couple of years ago, my mother was there recuperating from an operation.

Some of the sights i seen were terrible, one poor old boy in a locked in ward, stuck in a corner shouting a womans name over and over, completely ga-ga. If it were me i'd rather be gone.

Billy Connelly said it, if being a non-drinker, non-smoker, god bothering veggie gave you another 15 years of being 20, you'd jump at it. But another 15 years of being 85 and senile ? No thanks.

• Advertisement

I'm just saying that we are fcuked in years to come if we don't have an increase in the numbers of people paying tax.

The days of people retiring at 65, or less are gone. But is that so bad, working, so long as you are not a foundryman or blocklayer keeps you active and alert. I seen an old booklet about the Webley gun factory in Birmingham.

One lad, T. Eggerton, revolver jointer and cylinder fitter, had 64 years service.

C. Siddons, gun finisher, was with Webley 72 years.

They never retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

It never ceases to amaze me what snake oil we buy in this place.

- First, Ireland has the highest birth rate in the EU

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-has-highest-birth-rate-and-lowest-death-rate-in-eu-1.3952983

- Second, private pensions are mandatory unless you opt out

- Third, now the biggie, increased immigration has failed to pay for the HSE, school places, social housing, rural infrastructure and everything else you can think of, but we are to believe that another few million immigrants and our own progeny will fix everything by 2050 so that we can have someone to wipe our ass when we can't do it ourselves.

Well, we put up with oppression for 700 years, a famine while food was exported, we took the first societal gun ban in 1972, we bought Michael Noonan telling our kids there was no place here for them in 1985, we bought into the smoking ban in 2004, the same year Dick Roche and Prionsias de Rossa told us no more than 20,000 east europeans were going to come here, we allowed all our phones and emails to be recorded in case we ever committed a crime, so I guess they know we will swallow anything.

The days of people retiring at 65, or less are gone. But is that so bad, working, so long as you are not a foundryman or blocklayer keeps you active and alert. I seen an old booklet about the Webley gun factory in Birmingham.

One lad, T. Eggerton, revolver jointer and cylinder fitter, had 64 years service.

C. Siddons, gun finisher, was with Webley 72 years.

They never retired.

The thing is that the two guys you mentioned aren't the average. Just because they lived that long and were able to work that long doesn't mean that everyone can do it. Like you said, a huge part of it is your trade. I work mostly in an office so if my health holds up, I could work well into my 70's but if I was trying to haul concrete blocks around for a living, I'd say I'd be fcuked already.

My retirement age is 68 but I've a way to go before I reach that. I'd bet a fiver that when I get to 68, my retirement date will have been pushed out at least another five or ten years by then.

Just to be clear, a few weeks ago Cormac Lucey in the Sunday Times said that 300,000-odd new jobs were created here since we opened the door to immigrants in 2004 and 2 out of every 3 of those jobs went to non-Irish nationals.

The globalists love immigration, it destroys wage inflation. Look at wages here since 2013, CSO says they have increased ~10% in that time, which is roughly in line with headline inflation (does it feel like that to you? - maybe another conversation).

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/earningsandlabourcosts/

So, wages should have rebounded strongly as we exited the economic bust, wages should also have risen strongly as we approached full employment once more........but something acted like a brake on them which means that they have only risen with inflation and no more.

We all know plenty of people who have come here to work and pay their way, but just think - do you know anyone who has brought their mother over?

Because if any significant number bring non-working age family here (and it's their legal right) then any tax contribution made by that immigrant worker isn't really going to benefit the state.

I could waste my whole lunch ranting, but you get the general picture.

yubabill wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me what snake oil we buy in this place.

- First, Ireland has the highest birth rate in the EU

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-has-highest-birth-rate-and-lowest-death-rate-in-eu-1.3952983

- Second, private pensions are mandatory unless you opt out

- Third, now the biggie, increased immigration has failed to pay for the HSE, school places, social housing, rural infrastructure and everything else you can think of, but we are to believe that another few million immigrants and our own progeny will fix everything by 2050 so that we can have someone to wipe our ass when we can't do it ourselves.

Well, we put up with oppression for 700 years, a famine while food was exported, we took the first societal gun ban in 1972, we bought Michael Noonan telling our kids there was no place here for them in 1985, we bought into the smoking ban in 2004, the same year Dick Roche and Prionsias de Rossa told us no more than 20,000 east europeans were going to come here, we allowed all our phones and emails to be recorded in case we ever committed a crime, so I guess they know we will swallow anything.

You don't think we have a pensions time-bomb? I certainly do.

1. People are living longer therefore the pot of money we need is getting larger.

2. Lots of people don't have an adequate pension. Many private pensions won't give you much upon retirement.

3. People on the dole, sick, unable to work etc. don't have private pensions. They still need a pension when they get old.

4. Civil and Public Service pensions are totally unaffordable and will break the country. They have to be paid for.

5. If we have a huge recession, many people's private pensions will be more or less wiped out like happened many people. The amount you get paid in your private pension is whatever is in the pot at the date of retirement. It's a lottery as to how the stock marked will be doing on the date of your retirement.

My point isn't about letting unfettered access to the country. My point is simply that we need more workers contributing to the tax pot in years to come to keep the show on the road.

And we need to tighten up on our systems so that children's allowance etc. isn't going out of the country to kids who couldn't find Ireland on a map.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Can i ask a "simple" question that probably is not simple, has multiple layers and is more like a sound bite than a question, but anywho........

Why is it that we are worried about pension funds running out, but not social welfare?

Anyone who has worked their entire lives has earned that payment. I say that as a person that has worked since i was 11, but due to illness has had to come out of work. So i see both sides having lived/living it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Social welfare is the weekly protection money Irish society pays to keep the lid on Irish society.Could you imagine the denizens of our sink hole estates being told there is no more dole/unmarried mothers "mickey money" etc being handed out?Better to pay out the weekly millions so the Jerts and Sibhoannes,stay in the bookies,chipper and off liscense,then them rioting in the streets.
    Even if they could/did want to get off welfare..What are you going to employ them in??

Private pension schemes are a joke.It it isnt plunderd by your corporate administration buying a new jet or the like,the returns are a joke,before that is taxed,and what will a bunch of OAPs do?Start bashing the riot cops with their zimmerframes?.And in fairness to Ireland OAPs get free travel,TV lics,phones and a few other perks NO other EU country gives its OAP.

On the opposite side of the scale,public servants and politicans with HUGE salaries and pensions..We have civil servants on pensions worth more than what the US president and the German chancellor s combined pay packets are. We still have teachers like my old Geography teacher Micheal Noonan and Enda Kenny.Still drawing teachers pensions,and still have a position open to them ,if they ever want to go back teaching...:rolleyes:

And for me the ultra crowning turd in the water pipe..The expensive holding pen in Kildare st for comeback kids,wannabes,lads and ladies in waiting,also rans, and downright useless eccentrics,AKA The Senad.How we tolerate and pay for this literal Oligarchy,of unelected people,[unless you went to the two "right "colleges in Dublin city of course...The rest of highr learning institutions in Ireland of course arent good enough:rolleyes:] Who do what....???Anyone tell me?[Apart from listening to old Queens rant on about the evil of the US and Fascist Israel:rolleyes:] And come up with dumbassery aplenty and trouser thousands in salaries and perks. Seriously, the syystem is broke and needs fixing soonest.

You don't think we have a pensions time-bomb? I certainly do.

1. People are living longer therefore the pot of money we need is getting larger.

2. Lots of people don't have an adequate pension. Many private pensions won't give you much upon retirement.

3. People on the dole, sick, unable to work etc. don't have private pensions. They still need a pension when they get old.

4. Civil and Public Service pensions are totally unaffordable and will break the country. They have to be paid for.

5. If we have a huge recession, many people's private pensions will be more or less wiped out like happened many people. The amount you get paid in your private pension is whatever is in the pot at the date of retirement. It's a lottery as to how the stock marked will be doing on the date of your retirement.

My point isn't about letting unfettered access to the country. My point is simply that we need more workers contributing to the tax pot in years to come to keep the show on the road.

And we need to tighten up on our systems so that children's allowance etc. isn't going out of the country to kids who couldn't find Ireland on a map.

I do not think we have a pensions time bomb.

I think we are being cynically manipulated, as we always have been. The establishment have become expert at fabricating deflections to sell us anything they want.

The main thing I see we are being sold is globalisation and all the major parties have become globalist.

Not many believe that young adults today will be better off than baby boomers. I believe that globalisation is a form of asset-stripping (remember what Tony O'Reilly did to Eircom - he bought a company with huge assets and no debts after the disastrous sale to the public. He sold anything that wasn't nailed-down and made it borrow billions before selling it). Globalists main motive is to asset-strip the working population and the logical conclusion is that working people will not earn enough to ever own a home and will most likely die in debt.

Getting back to pensions, you rightly argue that pensions should not be used as an excuse for immigration. The government here has always paid pensions from current tax revenue and the pension reserve fund was blown on the bank bailout. So pensions will likely continue to be pay-as-you-go.

The establishment argue that demographics will cause a pensions time bomb as people live longer and have less kids. But we had massive emigration here in the 20th century (1945-'60, 1979-'90) and the population continued to decrease until the '70's but pensions were still paid. Yes, the pension age was high and lots of people died before they got it, but it was paid for by an impoverished and declining population, all while pensions were improving.

I would rather have a poor pension or keep working until I drop, rather than leave a legacy of wage slavery to my kids.

https://www.dw.com/en/japan-plans-to-raise-pension-age-beyond-70/a-42629344-0

One thing is for sure.Keeping people chained with money,and threat of losing their jobs and house works a whole lot better than whips and iron chains.:(

Cass wrote: »
    Can i ask a "simple" question that probably is not simple, has multiple layers and is more like a sound bite than a question, but anywho........

Why is it that we are worried about pension funds running out, but not social welfare?

Pensions and social welfare come from the same pot of money so yeah, you have a point.

But younger people on social welfare have options. They can get off their hole and get a job or they can get on a boat. Not many 70 year old pensioners have that option.

• Advertisement

I do not think we have a pensions time bomb.

I think we are being cynically manipulated, as we always have been. The establishment have become expert at fabricating deflections to sell us anything they want.

The problem, if you want to call it that, is that people are living much longer. Much much longer.

People are now living 5 years on average longer than they did in 2000. In 1970 the average age that people died at was 71. That's 6 years of a pension for the average person. Now we live to an average of 81 so that's 16 years of a pension for the average person. So you can see how the amount of money we need to pay pensions is constantly increasing. And that trend is only going to continue to increase because of advances in medical science.

If loads of people are alive on pensions, who is going to pay for those pensions?
    The establishment argue that demographics will cause a pensions time bomb as people live longer and have less kids. But we had massive emigration here in the 20th century (1945-'60, 1979-'90) and the population continued to decrease until the '70's but pensions were still paid. Yes, the pension age was high and lots of people died before they got it, but it was paid for by an impoverished and declining population, all while pensions were improving.

See my point about life expectancy above.

I don't think we are being sold a pup with regard to problems with pensions in the future. I'd love to think it's scaremongering like the Y2K bug back in 1999 but unfortunately I don't think so.

And another problem coming down the line is people renting for life. What happens when they hit pension age and their rent stays the same but their income drops substantially because of their retirement. Loads of homeless pensioners. Fcuking glad I'm not in that situation.

The problem, if you want to call it that, is that people are living much longer. Much much longer.

People are now living 5 years on average longer than they did in 2000. In 1970 the average age that people died at was 71. That's 6 years of a pension for the average person. Now we live to an average of 81 so that's 16 years of a pension for the average person. So you can see how the amount of money we need to pay pensions is constantly increasing. And that trend is only going to continue to increase because of advances in medical science.

If loads of people are alive on pensions, who is going to pay for those pensions?

See my point about life expectancy above.

I don't think we are being sold a pup with regard to problems with pensions in the future. I'd love to think it's scaremongering like the Y2K bug back in 1999 but unfortunately I don't think so.

And another problem coming down the line is people renting for life. What happens when they hit pension age and their rent stays the same but their income drops substantially because of their retirement. Loads of homeless pensioners. Fcuking glad I'm not in that situation.

Actually, the pension was not paid until age 70 back then, so 1 year of payout.

Life expectancy has grown since then, but it has stagnated or shrunk slightly in the US and UK recently.

The link in my comment shows how Japan are dealing with shrinking demographics - people are incentivised to simply keep working.

I aim to keep going until I'm ready to drop, having seen my grandfather work through pain every day for 42 years while paying into a huge pension which he enjoyed for a total of 6 years.

Japan has not embraced globalisation in the way Ireland has, they are a very different and peculiar society where loyalty counts for everything and the "job for life" is still a real thing; a good friend emigrated there in the "80's and we have kept in touch.

In this country we are witnessing a race to the bottom in the jobs market, the housing market and in state services. The pensions demographic bottleneck is a convenient cloak for more globalisation, while other real alternatives are ignored.

As our politicians increasingly fail to act in the national interest, but rather use our institutions as stepping-stones to EU and UN bodies, expect plenty more brown-nosing and toe-ing the globalist line from them at the peasant's expense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

But younger people on social welfare have options. They can get off their hole and get a job or they can get on a boat. Not many 70 year old pensioners have that option.

That is kinda my point. Those who have worked their entire life are are entitled to their pension are being told it's possible the fund may run out of money but those that from an early age have not worked are paid with no fear of it running out.

While not for everyone the actual payment each week is only the tip of the iceberg with HAP, subsidies, grants, etc. all available. So an unemployed person in their late teens or early twenties with one or more children may be "costing" over €2,100 per month (average). Yet an OAP gets €850 in the same month after a lifetime of work and contributing to the exchequer?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Actually, the pension was not paid until age 70 back then, so 1 year of payout.

Life expectancy has grown since then, but it has stagnated or shrunk slightly in the US and UK recently.

The link in my comment shows how Japan are dealing with shrinking demographics - people are incentivised to simply keep working.

I aim to keep going until I'm ready to drop, having seen my grandfather work through pain every day for 42 years while paying into a huge pension which he enjoyed for a total of 6 years.

Japan has not embraced globalisation in the way Ireland has, they are a very different and peculiar society where loyalty counts for everything and the "job for life" is still a real thing; a good friend emigrated there in the "80's and we have kept in touch.

In this country we are witnessing a race to the bottom in the jobs market, the housing market and in state services. The pensions demographic bottleneck is a convenient cloak for more globalisation, while other real alternatives are ignored.

As our politicians increasingly fail to act in the national interest, but rather use our institutions as stepping-stones to EU and UN bodies, expect plenty more brown-nosing and toe-ing the globalist line from them at the peasant's expense.

Good point on the pensions at 70. That actually reinforces my point though, that the pot needs to be much larger now than it was back then.

I'm not being smart but I don't see what globalisation has to do with pensions?

But back to the pension time bomb, there absolutely is a pensions time bomb. That's why the Japanese are working til they drop. They can't afford pensions so that's why they do that. We'll have to end up doing the same. That's why I said in an earlier post that we'll have to work until we are 85.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Its in the politicians interest to keep a certain sector of society on welfare, as far as i know are politicians not some of the biggest landlords out there, just another way for some of them to dig a little deeper into our pockets helping themselves to more of our money.
    Pensioners more than likely own their own homes so no revenue stream from them. But the younger generation that is just another pension for the politicians, so get them on it early and keep jacking the rents which in turn sees an increase in the HAP.

Good point on the pensions at 70. That actually reinforces my point though, that the pot needs to be much larger now than it was back then.

I'm not being smart but I don't see what globalisation has to do with pensions?

But back to the pension time bomb, there absolutely is a pensions time bomb. That's why the Japanese are working til they drop. They can't afford pensions so that's why they do that. We'll have to end up doing the same. That's why I said in an earlier post that we'll have to work until we are 85.

You have to view demographics as a dynamic thing. I see a bottleneck, you see a time bomb. I see it can be coped with because for twenty-odd years I have expected the state pension to be attacked once the baby boomers start to exit (like trying to insure my first car - one time insurance was affordable with just a full license/ got that, then they wanted me to be over 21/ when I got to 21 it was pushed out to over 23.... which was exactly the age of the last baby boomer).

Pensions are being used to justify immigration. Globalization means mass immigration. Mass immigration pushes down wages and puts pressure on housing, state services etc. as before.

We see the results in the news most days. It’s pretty obvious but the mainstream media don’t openly state it.

Think of this- there are 39 million people in Poland and we received about 400,000 of them in a short period. How can that not affect housing, school places, hospital waiting lists? If immigration was so beneficial, we would have none of these problems today, because the immigrants would have us rolling in cash.

What actually happens is a competitive lowering of wages, with resultant less taxes. Government sees that, so they go for scale.

Couple that with global corporations controlling prices for goods and services at will (building materials went up every year during the recession even though demand was on the floor- because the few builders had nowhere else to go other than CRH, Kingspan and the like, who were maximizing what they could get) and you get to where we are now.

I do not see a pensions time bomb, I see a bottleneck which can be resolved without making our kids wage slaves.

But we all know who is going to win (and it’s not a nobody with the Cassandra syndrome).

T

Europe solved this years ago.Owning property is a big hang up in our national psyche,for obvoius reasons,but it never has been in Europe.People dont think twice about renting,as there is a lot of benefits to i as well in a properly structured and regulated market.Which Ireland hasn't got,as it suits the politicans who are landlords,and the corporate landlords as well. In Europe,you cant just boot up the rent from month to month because you are short at the bank.You have to give 4months notice,for people to search for different accomadation if it is too much.Pension age,the longer you have been living at an address,the securer your tenancy is,so you can be looking at up to 12 months notice to quit,if you have been in a place for 5years or more.You come to an agreement with the landlord that your rent stays fixed at your last working year wage,or if you arnt capable anymore you move into a retirement home and the state pays your retirement home from the pension.

Personally,I prefer the Italian method.Some Italian fammlies have 3 generations living under the same roof in a 3 story house.Grandparents on the top or ground floor ,Parents in the middlle,and kids /newlyweds in the remaining floor.The property is owned outright,it stays in the fammily for generations that way.Everyone has their space,and as Italians are like us Irish big into fammily life,the generations can mingle alot easier on a daily basis.
    Maybe we should give this concept a try here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

"Personally,I prefer the Italian method.Some Italian fammlies have 3 generations living under the same roof in a 3 story house.Grandparents on the top or ground floor ,Parents in the middlle,and kids /newlyweds in the remaining floor.The property is owned outright,it stays in the fammily for generations that way.Everyone has their space,and as Italians are like us Irish big into fammily life,the generations can mingle alot easier on a daily basis.
    Maybe we should give this concept a try here too?"

There could be divorce on a grand scale here with that plan. I mean can you imagine the look on your good wifes face if you told her you were moving her in with 2 generations of YOUR family and not hers. The marriage counsellors would be the new rich.
    I predict EPIC battles of Game of Thrones proportions.

The Green wallys have just got their feet under the table at the eu parliament and are already planning to increase taxes. First on the agenda is a carbon tax.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-carbon-tax-back-on-commissions-agenda/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The Green wallys have just got their feet under the table at the eu parliament and are already planning to increase taxes. First on the agenda is a carbon tax.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-carbon-tax-back-on-commissions-agenda/

Ciarian Cuff the D4 green MEP was wittering away about air travel 2day on the radio and then had to admit he flies at least once a week to Brussels:rolleyes:

Advertisement