Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not particularly. Im comfortable in the knowledge that mayo had the best county team in the country in the mid 2010s. Dublin are not a county team. They are a financially doped provincial side. Only a fool would take their financial five in a row seriously or count any of those wins as meaningful.
    History will treat the period from 2013 on with derision and scorn, you cant see it coming because you are too caught up in your own hubris.
    Id much rather mayos record to be honest.

If you were truly comfortable in the knowledge that "Mayo had the best county team in the country in the mid 2010s", then you wouldn't be bothered posting on this thread. You would be over in your own county thread posting about Mayo.

The bitterness drips from your posts, and is obvious to see so the only one you are fooling is yourself.

As for history, even if you and the others succeed in your madness to split Dublin, history will see that the Dublin team was so good that the only way they could beat them was to split the county. The legend of the five-in-a-row will be enhanced rather than diminished. There will be an asterix forever more on anyone who won a subsequent All-Ireland - you wouldn't have won it if Dublin hadn't been split.

As for much rathering Mayo's record, that is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

omega man wrote: »
    As has been repeated here before his post exposes the reason why many want Dublin split etc.
    It’s not about a level playing field for ALL counties, it’s about wanting a better opportunity to win AIs for their own county.

No it isnt. You are judging me by your own standards. If dublin was split and mayo never won anything ever again, Id still say it was a better move for the gaa. One team sports are boring fare, and nothing turns people off a sport more than unfair competition, as we can see from the viewing figures. The one thing the gaa could point to as a big draw was the mayo dublin rivalry, but as mayo fall away, that will too. Attendances are only going one way, and that is the case with dublin fans also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You are a busted flush my friend.

Contradicting yourself and accusing other people of making stuff up and ignoring facts here and on other threads.

I have great admiration for Mayo and have said it here on many occasions and was one of few to predict they would still make semis after the Kerry game.

They are one of the best teams not - so far - to win an All Ireland. Just unfortunate to have been good in an era where there was one outstanding team.

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you were truly comfortable in the knowledge that "Mayo had the best county team in the country in the mid 2010s", then you wouldn't be bothered posting on this thread. You would be over in your own county thread posting about Mayo.

The bitterness drips from your posts, and is obvious to see so the only one you are fooling is yourself.

As for history, even if you and the others succeed in your madness to split Dublin, history will see that the Dublin team was so good that the only way they could beat them was to split the county. The legend of the five-in-a-row will be enhanced rather than diminished. There will be an asterix forever more on anyone who won a subsequent All-Ireland - you wouldn't have won it if Dublin hadn't been split.

As for much rathering Mayo's record, that is a joke.

Not really, because unlike yourself, I value the gaa as a whole and dont want to see it destroyed. Your concern begins and ends with dublin and turkeys dont vote for christmas.

As for the rest of your spiel. Dublin is a de facto province, so it would have needed to be split. What you are saying would be true if they tried to split kerry for example, but they are obviously not the same thing. I would be totally against that actually and would consider any subsequent all ireland not worth winning, which blows out of the water this idea that I only want my own county to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Not really, because unlike yourself, I value the gaa as a whole and dont want to see it destroyed. Your concern begins and ends with dublin and turkeys dont vote for christmas.

As for the rest of your spiel. Dublin is a de facto province, so it would have needed to be split. What you are saying would be true if they tried to split kerry for example, but they are obviously not the same thing. I would be totally against that actually and would consider any subsequent all ireland not worth winning, which blows out of the water this idea that I only want my own county to win.

So when you say split Dublin is this only for the Senior Football team or is it for all teams?

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    So when you say split Dublin is this only for the Senior Football team or is it for all teams?

Well that would be something that would be up for discussion. There are arguments for and against. I think if it was my own county in the same position Id want them split at minor etc also, as the numbers to compete are there and the more guys that get exposed to intercounty, the better. In all reality, if counties can put together good minor teams with 100 odd thousand, then I have no doubt Dublin could put forward 2 good minor teams on a regular basis. People arent born better at gaa just because they live in kerry or wherever.
    Exposure to the elite level is a big thing. Look at someone like colm boyle for example. He probably never gets to play intercounty if he was from dublin, and yet nobody can deny what he has become as a player and the quality service he has given his county and indeed beyond, once he did get that exposure. Chris barrett would be another that was a slower developer and yet now, after honing his skills at intercounty he has developed into one of the best corner backs in the game. These guys are out there in dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

One Word

Money. €18 Million between 2007 and 2018.

Dublin From 2010 to 2014 Dublin received 48% of the Entire GAA Allocated Games Development Monies
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0614/1055359-dublin-funding/

https://www.dublingaa.ie/history/roll-of-honour

Dublin Senior Men's

Previous Win 1995
    Previous All Irelands 24.

2011 All Ireland Winners
    2013 Win
    2015 Win
    2016 Win
    2017 Win
    2018 Win
    2019 Win

Dublin Senior Womens

Previous Win- Never.
    Previous Final Apearances 2.

2010 Winners First Time
    2014 Runner up
    2015 Runner Up
    2016 Runner Up
    2017 Win
    2018 Win
    2019 Win (6th Straight Final)

Dublin Minor - 2012 winner.

Dublin U 21 - 1 previous Win 2013
    Winner 2010 2012 2014 2017 Runner up 2019

Club Football Delaney Cup Leinster Winners

2005-2019 inclusive. 58 in total

Hurling

Senior- No Wins. No Finals since 2007.

Leinster U21 2007, 2010, 2011, 2016
    Previous 1967, 1972

Minor (Leinster) 2005, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2018
    Previous 1928, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1965, 1983

There's a clear trend there before and after since the money was pumped in. They are not dominating under age but they are being resorced and are successful at senior as a result.

I wouldn't split the County. I'd split the funding and the issue will evaporate.

I wouldn't split the County. I'd split the funding and the issue will evaporate.

The problem with that is dublin do have a large number of youth players and if you cut off the funds you end up starving them of the game. Stagnating development of the game isnt the way to go.
    That is why the funds should continue, albeit evened up a little, but the county should be split. It takes away all the problems surrounding dublin and they still get two very strong player bases.
    The dubs know this too. That is why all they can do is just attack the poster's county, or the poster themselves, and pile in to like each others comments over and over. Startled earwigs all over again. If not that then they just push already disproven nonsense and then refuse to engage on it. Its sad stuff. You would swear them just admitting the truth would mean it was going to be taken away from them. We are on an anonymous internet forum ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Some posts here are absolutely mortifying to read as a Mayo fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Not particularly. Im comfortable in the knowledge that mayo had the best county team in the country in the mid 2010s. Dublin are not a county team. They are a financially doped provincial side. Only a fool would take their financial five in a row seriously or count any of those wins as meaningful.
    History will treat the period from 2013 on with derision and scorn, you cant see it coming because you are too caught up in your own hubris.

ffs stop embarrassing yourself, and i can assure you that as a Mayoman for all that im proud as hell of the team, i'd much rather Dublins' record. And there will be no asterisks in the history books

• Advertisement

ffs stop embarrassing yourself, and i can assure you that as a Mayoman for all that im proud as hell of the team, i'd much rather Dublins' record. And there will be no asterisks in the history books

Well that is where you and me differ. I wouldnt want it because the competition it laughably unfair. The good is completely taken out of it. What is the point? It isnt sport or anything like it. Id have more pride in my county and belief in the people in it that we could compete with the best on an even footing. Some people rather shooting fish in a barrel, that is your business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 socruel

Well that is where you and me differ. I wouldnt want it because the competition it laughably unfair. The good is completely taken out of it. What is the point? It isnt sport or anything like it. Id have more pride in my county and belief in the people in it that we could compete with the best on an even footing. Some people rather shooting fish in a barrel, that is your business.

So had Mayo beaten Donegal in 2012 you'd put an asterix beside it as Dublin being in the semi "took the good out of it" ?

Do Kerrys 2014 and Donegal 2012 AI's also have "asterixs against them" ?

If it is that bad, follow another sport.

Even your own countymen are disowning your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I do think there are valid questions about funding in the GAA. MayoAreMagic is not asking them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 socruel

Im guessing thats where you and 99% of Mayo fans differ tbh. I follow Celtic and do we get bored dominating the Scottish domestic game every season? Nope, ya it'd be nice to have a bit of a challenge, but what can you do if other clubs dont step up to the mark?

That poster is very dismissive towards Mayo implying they didnt challenge the Dubs either. They took them to a replay and there was only ever very little between the 2 sides. Most dublin fans would have a lot of respect for that Mayo team.

I think most people expect kerry to challenge over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

That seems like a handy tactic for you to run and hide when you have been caught out. Because this is one of your many lengthy posts. But suddenly you do not claim to have the time! :D

I haven't been caught out on anything?

It's mostly because we've literally debated the same points over and over again- I, and others, debunk your nonsense and then you just repost it a day or two later slightly rephrased.

Also your incessant lying throughout the debate (e.g you repeatedly stating "you think Dublin's success is only due to money" even though I have repeatedly corrected you on this) makes it a less than rewarding experience.
    Basically, you do not want to address the Dublin club football champions losses between 2013 and 2019 to other counties, nor Dublin's dip in intercounty hurling since 2013 as it does not suit your narrative.

This is the third or fourth time you have dodged these questions and I find that very telling. Your silence on the question incriminates you

Again, I and others have already responded to this point- you either don't read the posts or have the memory of a goldfish.

Briefly, the overall trend since 2004 when the financial doping has started has undoubtedly been a good one- Dublin club teams are winning more club titles than previously, including in the time frame you have give. Dublin are challenging All-Ireland contenders like Kilkenny and Galway this year, coming from a terrible base.

This is in the context of Dublin minors, U20s, ladies and senior teams all doing substantially better since the financial doping started as your charts have shown.

You're like someone who sees it snowing and claims global warming isn't real.

Again how many of Dublin's victories in the AI football final were more than one score? They were enjoyable games for the neutral.
    Mayo have won the league this year, Kerry have won the league last year.
    Cork have won the u21 this year, Kildare won the u21 last year, Kildare have won the minor this year. Kerry recently have won a five in a row at minor.

Yet you paint this as Dublin dominating indefinitely?
    To me that is utterly incredulous and has the usual hyperbolic tone associated with your posts. Based purely on speculation.

There's more games than the All- Ireland final. It's obvious from the outset every year that Dublin will win. It's not based on speculation- Dublin are literally winning every year at senior level and will continue to do so.
    There was an awful lot of kick passing in that Dublin Kerry game.
    The mark has worked superbly in gaelic football. The handpassing issue only occurred as a direct result of the negative tactics of Donegal, Tyrone.
    It would be stupid to bring the ball into the tackle in that scenario.
    Dublin have the ability to mix and match thier tactics.

As regards the standard of the last Dublin v Kerry game - look at the stats of both teams and the number of wides - can you find a game with better stats?
    Or even just name a game you thought was a better quality?

I acknowledged the first half was good so I don't know who you're arguing against here. Definitely not a game for the ages as it was obvious from 50 or so minutes that Dublin would win.

Kerry Galway 2008 was one better quality game.

This is really laughable every county has S&C coaches you are making out that they supermen. Also you have tripped yourself up on the Dublin bench.
    In the crunch games the Dublin bench have started to be found to be wanting.
    It is the same core of aging players. Even TSG have cottoned on to this.
    Do Kerry people still get that level of fear when Kevin Mc comes of the bench?
    How did Costello perform from the bench in recent games for example?
    Did Connolly perform as he has done in previous years?

Connolly actually was a game changer- turned over the ball and set up a point with that brilliant pass. Murchan didn't start the first game

Dublin bench is still incredibly effective even if slightly below its stratospheric heights of a couple of years ago. Far better than every other one.

Cork have faded against many teams not just Dublin. If you truly analyse Dublin's success against both Kerry, Mayo in particular it was not just down to S&C, it was because of tactical nous and heart.
    Your own Kieran Donaghy analysed the drawn game. And Dublin pushed right up on Kerry even when they only had 14. Cluxton even pushing out on the Kerry forward.
    This left an effective 14 on 14 out the field for a lot of the time when Dublin pushed up.
    When the Dublin players attacked they deliberately focused on one side
    They cleverly left the free Kerryman on the far side of the field, so it was difficult for other players to see him.

I can see through what you are trying to, you are trying to downplay Dublin's undoubted game intelligence, skill, and tactical acumen, and place the main reason down to brute force.
    I find this ironic coming form a Kerryman who is supposed to appreciate 'footballers' head up etc

Dublin's victory, as is the case with all their victories, was down to a number of factors, including financial doping, home advantage, good players and other things.
    How is it a good phrase as you are using it incorrectly!?
    It is to do with the purchasing of players in a professional sport.
    The definition of the phrase is not even close to your intended meaning/slur.

I've already explained what financial doping means in this context- have a read of my previous posts.

You didn't answer my question about other pundits calling for a Dublin split or highlighting the Dublin funding/ population gap e.g McStay/ O'Rourke/ Horan- are they all biased Dublin haters?

Come on this argument seems very weak. Kerry and Cork have had a seeded Munster championship for years. A province where most of the other counties were mainly hurling ones. Clare won more then Kerry between 1987 and 2000? Do you mean thier munster football win in 92? :D Their first since 1917!

Provinicals can be done away with- Dublin will still have to be split.

Not true as I said above dip in standard of Dublin and the number of players from the 2011 team (11) , and the 2013 team (7) that are still on the panel. Other counties winning the league u21 and minor etc very recently.
    The aging Dublin bench etc.

There is no dip in standard- the newer players are the equal or better of what came before. You're the only who seriously touts this golden generation nonsense- the players are already replaced as starters for the most part, and increasingly on the becnh too.

I get the feeling you not want to address the definition of 'financial doping' as you know it is not applicable to Dublin GAA, or any GAA for that matter.
    It is much easier for you to gloss over it and go 'haha'

Again the use of the phrase 'financial doping' - you do not seem to understand its meaning and try to apply it to an amateur sport!

FInancial doping does apply to Dublin- they win more games and titles than they would without the money.

It applies perfectly to them.
    The rest of the paragraph reads like a fella back tracking furiously when he has being caught out and looks stupid

These posts read like a fella who is really backtracking.

I assume you were supporting Dublin in all those finals since 2013 against Tyrone and Mayo? :D

What am I backtracking on exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

This is silly now. The provincial system has been an unfair institutionalised advantage to Kerry for a century or more.

Picking out one 13-year period just after the second greatest team of all time was representing Kerry is disingenuous at best.

The financial doping/ population/ home advantages are much bigger advantages to Dublin currently than the provincials are to Kerry (or ever have been).

The provincials can be done away with- Dublin will still have to be split.

The provincials only ever help in qualifying for the All-Ireland semi final/ quarters/ super 8s anyway- Dublin's unfair advantages benefit them for all games.

Then you follow it up by saying that you "would be just as quick to criticise any unfair advantages Kerry have if they were ruining the game in a manner equivalent to Dublin."

When are Waterford ever going to win a football provincial title given the century of advantages built up by Kerry. Do you agree that the only way to reverse that long tradition of Kerry success that has created a psychological hold on the province is to split Kerry in two?

I would be as quick- I'm can see things in an unbiased way, unlike yourself.

The provincials can be done away with as above if that is your concern.

Certainly, it is top of my list for fixing Munster, together with some amalgamations. I don't expect you to agree, because like some Mayo supporters on here, your primary motivation is attacking Dublin, not creating a fair and level competition.

No, my primary motivation is to create a fair and level competition- I bear no animosity towards Dublin.

One thing for certain is, the only way of persuading people to accept change, is if it is genuinely driven by the need to equalise competition rather than selfish motives for their own county. That is why a prerequisite for me for any conversation is that splitting Kerry is on the same agenda as splitting Dublin. No point in replacing a Dublin five-in-a-row with a Kerry seven-in-a-row built on removing Kerry's only real rival.

We can have a proper conversation once you accept the principle that splitting Kerry is as necessary as splitting Dublin.

Again, Kerry don't have the same unfair advantages that Dublin have e.g financial doping, home advantage, population. Those are the reasons Dublin must be split, not just the current dominance.

We can have a proper conversation once you accept the principle that splitting Dublin only is necessary because of these unfair advantages.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I could say the same thing about non-dubs erins isle covers a huge catchment area one club same with round towers clondalkin as big as some counties. Both unsuccessful. No GDA as far as I know.

Also I would argue with today's technology are games development admins really required to be there in person?
    All that is really needed are instructional videos, skype calls with volunteer coaches?
    All easily done with little cost.
    It is not that difficult to follow instruction is it?
    Just takes a bit of planning.

Both clubs have a GPO as of the last listing I can find.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/tstblikbtwvqfubdiwpe.pdf

Actually, a quick search on it shows that Ballymuns previous GPO Shane Treanor is now Round Towers GPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The best team at shooting themselves in the foot! Two own goals in one final, Donie Vaughan red carded after jumping in to a row that was not his concern when they had Dublin on the rack.
    Endless whining about venues, referees. Just get over it. Theres always 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

bruschi wrote: »
    Both clubs have a GPO as of the last listing I can find.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/tstblikbtwvqfubdiwpe.pdf

Actually, a quick search on it shows that Ballymuns previous GPO Shane Treanor is now Round Towers GPO.

A GPO is different to a GDA though?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

The problem with that is dublin do have a large number of youth players and if you cut off the funds you end up starving them of the game. Stagnating development of the game isnt the way to go.
    That is why the funds should continue, albeit evened up a little, but the county should be split. It takes away all the problems surrounding dublin and they still get two very strong player bases.
    The dubs know this too. That is why all they can do is just attack the poster's county, or the poster themselves, and pile in to like each others comments over and over. Startled earwigs all over again. If not that then they just push already disproven nonsense and then refuse to engage on it. Its sad stuff. You would swear them just admitting the truth would mean it was going to be taken away from them. We are on an anonymous internet forum ffs...

Can they not rely on volunteers like every other county

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

There’s that legendary Kirry wit😂😂😂😂😂. There’s volunteers in every county. Nobody has ever said differently, just the folks with agendas that like to twist words. Anyway back to celebrating 5 in a row. Greatest team ever.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    There’s that legendary Kirry wit����������. There’s volunteers in every county. Nobody has ever said differently, just the folks with agendas that like to twist words. Anyway back to celebrating 5 in a row. Greatest team ever.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or you are... well its boards.

General standard around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kyote00

More 'financial doping' today as Jim Gavin is allowed to graze his sheep in Stephens Green :D

This will seriously disadvantage gaffer91's sheep

https://www.thejournal.ie/jim-gavin-freedom-of-the-city-dublin-gaa-manager-4821096-Sep2019/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

kyote00 wrote: »
    More 'financial doping' today as Jim Gavin is allowed to graze his sheep in Stephens Green :D

https://www.thejournal.ie/jim-gavin-freedom-of-the-city-dublin-gaa-manager-4821096-Sep2019/

while im delighted he'll get this and thoroughly deserve it I can't help but feel this f**king lord mayor is using every opportunity he can to get into the spotlight, he'll present this afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

kyote00 wrote: »

I hope they do more than that.
    It is a disgrace Dublin have thier main street named after a Kerryman, now is the chance to change it 'Gavin Street'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It is a nice honour. Surprisingly few sports people have been awarded it. Heffo, Brian O'Driscoll, John Giles, Ronnie Delaney. Think that's all.

None of the councillors who were part of the successful attempt to remove flags and banners had the courage to vote against.

No doubt they will also be there on Sunday trying to bask in the glow. I can see this Lord Mayor trying to take over the whole thing.

His tweets slagging the Kerry mayor were fkn infantile. He must think we are all stupid.

I do think there are valid questions about funding in the GAA. MayoAreMagic is not asking them.

Well by all means, stick your neck out and ask them... Because sitting on the ditch is pointless.

gaffer91 wrote: »
    The financial doping/ population/ home advantages are much bigger advantages to Dublin currently than the provincials are to Kerry (or ever have been).

The provincials can be done away with- Dublin will still have to be split.

The provincials only ever help in qualifying for the All-Ireland semi final/ quarters/ super 8s anyway- Dublin's unfair advantages benefit them for all games.

I would be as quick- I'm can see things in an unbiased way, unlike yourself.

The provincials can be done away with as above if that is your concern.

No, my primary motivation is to create a fair and level competition- I bear no animosity towards Dublin.

Again, Kerry don't have the same unfair advantages that Dublin have e.g financial doping, home advantage, population. Those are the reasons Dublin must be split, not just the current dominance.

We can have a proper conversation once you accept the principle that splitting Dublin only is necessary because of these unfair advantages.

Nonsense. Kerry only won 38 All-Irelands because of the insitutional bias built in over a century.

If you truly want a fair and level competition, then splitting Kerry is on the agenda as much as Dublin, so is amalgamating small unsuccessful counties.

As I have said already, accept that principle and we can have a real discussion, not a discussion driven by the unhappiness of Mayo and Kerry fans.

• Advertisement

Well that is the thing. They tried and couldnt do it, hence bertie's bailout.
    There is an awful lot of revisionism with dublin these days. The whole john horan volunteers spiel being a good example. Their volunteers failed to promote the game to the level other volunteers were doing, that was the problem in the first place. That isnt trying to be critical, it is just the way it went and maybe they needed help as regards working in a city etc, but bottom line, it is what ended up happening. It was unfortunate, you live and learn.
    But this thing where guys turn around and say that their volunteers are the reason they are successful, and not the shedloads of extra cash, is a bit rich. It is unnecessarily inflammatory truth be told, to the taxpayers whose money actually was the thing that made the difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement