Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

dunnerc wrote: »
    Galway have 8 times the population of Leitrim, are you not concerned that this is not a level playing field? Will splitting Dublin help Leitrim, Tipp, Waterford etc? This calling for Dublin to be split is nonsense it would destroy GAA in the County, and would see the "inter-county game die "
    How would splitting Dublin destroy GAA in the county or see inter county game die?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How would splitting Dublin destroy GAA in the county or see inter county game die?

Because for over a hundred years, GAA fans in DUBLIN, support DUBLIN. The county and city they love, grew up in. I’m a DUBLIN person, I relate to, love and identify with the county of DUBLIN, the team of DUBLIN, in its entirety, that blue shirt, every player who pulled it on, hurling, football, camogie, senior, under age in successful times, in lean times and otherwise. I see the Liffey as a river not the mark of division that some would make it. There is no Dublin North or South GAA teams we support DUBLIN..

So no split, no division, that won’t be allowed to happen. Roll on the sprint for six, fûck the begrudgers and win in style... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Keep pretending that Fingal, DLR, South Dublin don't exist and the City Council, all separate administrations...........

TrueGael wrote: »
    Keep pretending that Fingal, DLR, South Dublin don't exist and the City Council, all separate administrations...........

:pac: stay off the sauce, it’s helping you grab at straws but not reality I’m afraid, entertainment never the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They dont exist in the sense if you ask someone what county they are from or anything to do with sporting allegiance. I think it matters for potholes and property tax but we arent talking about them.

I presume you therefore want to align GAA teams with local council boundaries?
    Including Cork, Galway and N Ireland?
    So what happens if a government create more municipal councils or merge county councils eg Waterford, Limerick?

What happens if Dublin votes for a single elected mayor? We get to keep single team?
    I predict a landslide yes!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

So everyone else is allowed their tradition but Dubs are not?

Well, I'm with strumms on this one.

What's next?

We have to reconsign all the great Dublin writers, musicians, athletes, actors, revolutionaries, and so on to some other place just to make them feel better?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Strumms wrote: »
    Because for over a hundred years, GAA fans in DUBLIN, support DUBLIN. The county and city they love, grew up in. I’m a DUBLIN person, I relate to, love and identify with the county of DUBLIN, the team of DUBLIN, in its entirety, that blue shirt, every player who pulled it on, hurling, football, camogie, senior, under age in successful times, in lean times and otherwise. I see the Liffey as a river not the mark of division that some would make it. There is no Dublin North or South GAA teams we support DUBLIN..

So no split, no division, that won’t be allowed to happen. Roll on the sprint for six, fûck the begrudgers and win in style... :o
    You havent said how it would destroy the association/sports within the county though. If it was to happen it wouldnt affect your relationship with Dublin. You would still be supporting Dublin.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I presume you therefore want to align GAA teams with local council boundaries?
    Including Cork, Galway and N Ireland?

Fermanagh/Omagh will be playing Derry/Strabane in the Ulster final after knocking out Craigavon and Newry/Armagh :)

You havent said how it would destroy the association/sports within the county though. If it was to happen it wouldnt affect your relationship with Dublin. You would still be supporting Dublin.

I’m still supporting the county of DUBLIN, just the whole county ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

blanch152 wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish.

Splitting Brazil doesn't make the World Cup more fair for the less successful teams, neither does splitting Dublin.

I have put forward quite a number of suggestions to actually level the playing-field, but because it isn't about nobbling one team, you aren't interested.

Your suggestions are terrible. They try to draw some absurd false equivalence between Dublin and Kerry.

Dublin's recent successes are based off a number of factors but the chief ones are unfair and not replicable in any other county- again, these include financial doping, home advantage and massive population. Kerry, or any other county, don't have anything even close to these advantages.

It's not about "nobbling Dublin", it's about leveling the playing field- that Dublin need to be split do this now because of the financial doping over the last 15 years (combined with the other advantages) is just a necessary step, it's nothing to do with animosity towards Dublin.

And don't forget- you would still have a team to support. Teams and players from Dublin (more teams and players in fact) will get to challenge at the highest level and the Dublin subdivision teams would still be in the higher end in terms of population.
    Galway have 8 times the population of Leitrim, , are you not concerned that this is not a level playing field ? Will splitting Dublin help Leitrim , Tipp , Waterford etc ? This calling for Dublin to be split is nonsense it would destroy GAA in the County , and would see the " inter-county game die "

It would help them first of all by ensuring the game survives- if the Dublin winning streak continues, which it will, no-one will care about the All-Ireland football championship in 10 years.

Again it's not just population (although Dublin's is such a huge statistical outlier that it is grounds for a two way split), but also the other advantages e.g funding discrepancy which massively favour Dublin.

Anyway as the saying goes "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good"- splitting Dublin is intrinsically good, on its own merits and as such should be undertaken, even if other steps need to be taken later to deal with other issues affecting Gaelic Football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've no problem acknowledging that Mayo's population is an advantage over Leitrim.

I'm just glad that Dubs are ackowledging that population is an advantage. A lot of the time people try to claim it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

In fairness to Connacht, three of the five counties there have a great chance of winning a provincial title. Roscommon have won quite a few. It's the other two counties who don't win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭doc_17

Dublin won’t be split geographically. But they should be spilt from CP and moved back to PP for league and championship. If they don’t like it let them build a ground of their own and service it like every county. Except Cork. They can’t do anything right it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

doc_17 wrote: »
    Dublin won’t be split geographically. But they should be spilt from CP and moved back to PP for league and championship. If they don’t like it let them build a ground of their own and service it like every county. Except Cork. They can’t do anything right it would seem.

You state this like it’s completely a dublin choice?
    This wouldn’t really be a problem for dublin but it would be a financial and logistical headache for the GAA.

I've no problem acknowledging that Mayo's population is an advantage over Leitrim.

I'm just glad that Dubs are ackowledging that population is an advantage. A lot of the time people try to claim it isn't.

Advantage is natural in sport, that’s how we have winners and losers. In golf, football, basketball.

Some players and teams have better coaches, better ways of getting to games - private jet where another team takes the bus, more experienced and accomplished staff and training facilities, the resources to have better hotels... that’s life... my neighbor is off to Westport for five days, our other neighbor is off to Florida. Unfair ? Nope ! Neighbor #1 didnt their life in order that they could afford Florida, #2 DID...thems the breaks...

If Kerry turn around and win five in a row ? Great and well done...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Because Dublin is one . The people of Dublin will never support or accept a split , To win a Leinster or All Ireland title with Dublin diluted is not worth winning and quite frankly would be the end of the inter county game .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Please stop talking nonsense :rolleyes:

Now doc, if you have been following this, you will know that playing league in Croke Park has nothing to do with DCB or the teams. Hurlers got out first chance. Best thing Gilroy did.

But overall, I would agree with Dublin playing championship games according to the draw. Again, that is not in gift of DCB. It is something that was decided by Leinster in relation to SFC, and by Congress in regard to the "Croke Park game" in the 8s.

It is up to LC and Congress to make these things happen. Dublin wont be throwing a strop. As mainly hurling person, I can tell you that majority of our championship games have been away games at all grades. Going back 30 years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Floppybits wrote: »
    It is a hard one, on one hand if players did go to other counties it would strengthen but would the players in that county accept it? Would the population of the county accept it? Then would the player that is going to play accept it?

You could also see the outside player being blamed when things go wrong, also it is a bit of a kick in the balls for the player to be told you are not good enough for your own county but Wicklow don't mind having ya. :)

Then of course there are the Wicklow fellas that would be left off the team panel of the Dubs got on it.
    They would need to begin winning straight away to have some chance of being accepted for a a start.
    I think it is a good idea in theory, but the GAA is way too parochial to accept it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The same thing they did for poor numbers in inner city Dublin tbh.

In Dublin they got kids who were not playing the game to play the game.

In many rural areas, there are no kids to get playing the game.

• Advertisement

Cork should be split into City and County, Tipperary split into North Riding and South Riding.

More nonsense solutions.

omega man wrote: »
    doc_17 wrote: »

You state this like it’s completely a dublin choice?
    This wouldn’t really be a problem for dublin but it would be a financial and logistical headache for the GAA.

It is for the league. Without doubt. And yes, I know the rest of Leinster has little or no balls but maybe someday they might Final them again.

Clones is the ground always used for the Ulster Final. If Monaghan make the semi it is played at a neutral venue. I know the rest of the county might not like Ulster football but at least the counties have a bit of respect for themselves.

*they might find them

gaffer91 wrote: »
    Your suggestions are terrible. They try to draw some absurd false equivalence between Dublin and Kerry.

Dublin's recent successes are based off a number of factors but the chief ones are unfair and not replicable in any other county- again, these include financial doping, home advantage and massive population. Kerry, or any other county, don't have anything even close to these advantages.

It's not about "nobbling Dublin", it's about leveling the playing field- that Dublin need to be split do this now because of the financial doping over the last 15 years (combined with the other advantages) is just a necessary step, it's nothing to do with animosity towards Dublin.

And don't forget- you would still have a team to support. Teams and players from Dublin (more teams and players in fact) will get to challenge at the highest level and the Dublin subdivision teams would still be in the higher end in terms of population.

It would help them first of all by ensuring the game survives- if the Dublin winning streak continues, which it will, no-one will care about the All-Ireland football championship in 10 years.

Again it's not just population (although Dublin's is such a huge statistical outlier that it is grounds for a two way split), but also the other advantages e.g funding discrepancy which massively favour Dublin.

Anyway as the saying goes "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good"- splitting Dublin is intrinsically good, on its own merits and as such should be undertaken, even if other steps need to be taken later to deal with other issues affecting Gaelic Football.

Typical Kerry response. You are only interested in ensuring the return of Kerry to the top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Please stop talking nonsense :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BAn_Laoghaire%E2%80%93Rathdown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dublin

I'm talking Nonsense? No just facts and I think having 4 heavily populated and really wealthy counties should not be allowed field 1 mega resourced team against actual counties with tiny fractions of the resources, it takes the value and meaning completely out of winning when the dice are so loaded heavily one way

Imagine if there was 1 only LOI team in the Region , nobody else would ever hope to compete given sheer disparity in resources

^ please stop talking nonsense is right.. if it’s a wind up and I’d like to think so fair enough but if you actually believe this you might want to go see your doctor, seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

harpsman wrote: »
    socruel wrote: »

Population of Mayo is twice that of Roscommon and Sligo, which is not that big a disparity.

If you formed a new team/county in the Dublin area it would be an improvement, even if it still has 10 times the population of Roscommon and sligo. Or do you want every team to have the same pop. as Ros and Sligo? If you say so-20 teams from the Dublin area seems a bit much to me, but if thats what you want.

Roscommon have a great tradition of beating the big two in Connacht

I'd rate themselves and Monaghan as two counties who really maximise their resources

blanch152 wrote: »
    In Dublin they got kids who were not playing the game to play the game.

In many rural areas, there are no kids to get playing the game.

In schools, yes. Outside of that?

Where is the big jump in all these non white kids playing club gaa in Dublin?
    There hasn't been 5 players in the last 10 years playing for Dublin from a different family background on a minor or U21/20 team

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Now doc, if you have been following this, you will know that playing league in Croke Park has nothing to do with DCB or the teams. Hurlers got out first chance. Best thing Gilroy did.

But overall, I would agree with Dublin playing championship games according to the draw. Again, that is not in gift of DCB. It is something that was decided by Leinster in relation to SFC, and by Congress in regard to the "Croke Park game" in the 8s.

It is up to LC and Congress to make these things happen. Dublin wont be throwing a strop. As mainly hurling person, I can tell you that majority of our championship games have been away games at all grades. Going back 30 years or more.
    Who requests that Dublin foot ball games be played in our stadium?

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Advantage is natural in sport, that’s how we have winners and losers. In golf, football, basketball.

Some players and teams have better coaches, better ways of getting to games - private jet where another team takes the bus, more experienced and accomplished staff and training facilities, the resources to have better hotels... that’s life... my neighbor is off to Westport for five days, our other neighbor is off to Florida. Unfair ? Nope ! Neighbor #1 didnt their life in order that they could afford Florida, #2 DID...thems the breaks...

If Kerry turn around and win five in a row ? Great and well done...

Your neighbour wasn't gifted 100k every year for the last 15 years to improve the standard of his holidays
    Which is what the GAA have done to Dublin GAA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement