Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is a golden generation of Dublin players and the conveyor belt of talent is being nurtured via hard work, coaching skill sets, dedication, kindness, instilled winning mindsets and overall effort...on behalf of parents, coaches, volunteers, current players, ex players, families. It’s 1000% from each and every angle. All people with jobs, responsibilities, families yet who are ALL of the mindset to help and support with a singular vision and team ethic.

At the end of the day the All Ireland is 15 vs 15, one ball, one pitch, one set of officials.... Dublin’s training is a pitch is grass, balls, cones, posts, same as everyone else.... they are just a golden generation, skill, effort and ability abound for sure but that’s all only achieved by hard work and nurturing I hate to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Bonniedog wrote: »
    95 games in Dublin across all grades today.

Just to provide some context. There were hundreds yesterday from juveniles up.

Good luck by the way to our colleague Realt Dearg whose team are about to take the field in the Junior A semi final.

How many of those were on hold because of dublin's involvement in the all ireland series?

If it is all about participation in Dublin, then holding off games for months is hardly going to encourage it... Talk is cheap. But the actions of dublin gaa shows that their senior team is the only show in town

Strumms wrote: »
    There is a golden generation of Dublin players and the conveyor belt of talent is being nurtured via hard work, coaching skill sets, dedication, kindness, instilled winning mindsets and overall effort...on behalf of parents, coaches, volunteers, current players, ex players, families. It’s 1000% from each and every angle. All people with jobs, responsibilities, families yet who are ALL of the mindset to help and support with a singular vision and team ethic.

At the end of the day the All Ireland is 15 vs 15, one ball, one pitch, one set of officials.... Dublin’s training is a pitch is grass, balls, cones, posts, same as everyone else.... they are just a golden generation, skill, effort and ability abound for sure but that’s all only achieved by hard work and nurturing I hate to tell you.

You sound like that cotter lad that was on the prime time section about dublin financial doping. He claimed that in the 00s football in the capital was on its knees.
    They contested 4 all ireland semi finals in that period. That isnt on its knees, or anything like it.

The fact is, if it isbonly 15 v 15, and all that baloney you just pushed, then why did dublin need the investment in the first place? Could dublin jot field 15 players in the 00s? The truth is you want it every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The only serious hold is on the senior football championship which is back on track next week. Your own county also postponed the SFC until after the semi final did it not?

Minimal disruption to other competitions. Senior hurling championship was not delayed after county hurlers were beaten,

Dublin far better organised than many counties who were out of inter county senior months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You sound like that cotter lad that was on the prime time section about dublin financial doping. He claimed that in the 00s football in the capital was on its knees.
    They contested 4 all ireland semi finals in that period. That isnt on its knees, or anything like it.

The fact is, if it isbonly 15 v 15, and all that baloney you just pushed, then why did dublin need the investment in the first place? Could dublin jot field 15 players in the 00s? The truth is you want it every way.

They contested four all Ireland semi finals due to hard work, dedication and developing their skills at each and every level. HARD WORK :)

It’s not baloney, just basic cold hard facts, you can continue to sweat out every orifice until the cows come home, stats have been posted but ultimately it is a golden generation of footballer, golden generation of PEOPLE with great attributes, great attitudes and a hunger and desire for success, an unrelenting passion to keep Sam, to win in great style, to entertain and to love their sport and county.... that’s achieved with bells on. Great ambassadors for their sport, sport in general, their county, the country as a whole.

So sit back, admire, enjoy and be ready to go again next year. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Phrases like 'begrudgers', '31v1', 'nobody said kerry should be split' and 'this is just a golden generation' you mean?

The phrase financial doping on the other hand stands up to scrutiny completely... Instead of loading up on substances nobody else can use - i.e. doping, this is loading up one team with exponential amounts of cash that nobody else has access too. It is actually a very apt phrase.

Stands up to struntiny completely how?
    When the phrase refers to the purchasing of players in a professional context.

Also the terms golden generation and begrdugers are used in the correct meaning -

"
    begrudgery

noun
    Irish informal
    resentment of any person who has achieved success"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/golden-generation"

"
    golden generation

used, especially in sports reports, to refer to a group of skilful football, rugby, etc. players of similar ages who achieve success or are expected to achieve success for their country:"

It has been proven that this is a golden generation of Dublin footballers beyond doubt.
    As there are 11 players still on the panel from the 2011 AI final team and 7 came from the 2013 AI final team. This is indisputable as it shows it is the same core of players.

In contrast Kerry only have 2 surviving players on the panel from the 2011 AI final.

If this is not a golden generation of players for Dublin I do not know what you think a golden generation of players is?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

omega man wrote: »
    Hadn’t realised you were from Kerry gaffer91. Explains your current state of depression with GAA and Dublin’s 5 in a row!

Sure wouldn't you have guessed that straight away?
    Kerry people are great at making up fictional entertaining stories of misery like John B. Keane's the field. :D

He has been really caught out now with his previous line of posts from the past going on about ref biases and the like, he is only codding at this stage, I think.

Actually the 60s were a boom time for sports attendances in western Europe. Look at the crowds for GAA finals and league finals, League of Ireland and soccer internationals.

It was a time when people had more money and leisure time and before they began to buy cars and TVs and overseas holidays in mass. Same happened in British soccer. That was a peak, and declined from early 70s due to the above factors kicking in.

Noughties boom brought another peak, with a relative fall off but still historically high compared to any other era.

Dublin got nothing like average crowds of 23,000 for Croke Park league games even in the 70s. And certainly not in the 90s.

And Drums v Bohs were getting crowds of up to 50/60k in the 50's 60's before the FAI made a balls of it.

gaffer91 wrote: »
    @gormdubhgorm your posts are too lengthy to keep quoting and debating for any extended period as it's too time consuming- we can pencil in some time this week for when we go around in circles again.

That seems like a handy tactic for you to run and hide when you have been caught out. Because this is one of your many lengthy posts. But suddenly you do not claim to have the time! :D
    Basically, you do not want to address the Dublin club football champions losses between 2013 and 2019 to other counties, nor Dublin's dip in intercounty hurling since 2013 as it does not suit your narrative.

This is the third or fourth time you have dodged these questions and I find that very telling. Your silence on the question incriminates you
    In response to your key points, the inter-county game is ruined as Dublin will continue to dominate indefinitely in the current setup as they are unfairly advantaged. People will lose interest both because of the victories but also the unfairness that they are founded on.

Again how many of Dublin's victories in the AI football final were more than one score? They were enjoyable games for the neutral.
    Mayo have won the league this year, Kerry have won the league last year.
    Cork have won the u21 this year, Kildare won the u21 last year, Kildare have won the minor this year. Kerry recently have won a five in a row at minor.

Yet you paint this as Dublin dominating indefinitely?
    To me that is utterly incredulous and has the usual hyperbolic tone associated with your posts. Based purely on speculation.
    Re: the first half of the replay, good football for sure. Wouldn't say the highest standard ever however. There are problems with gaelic football, unrelated to Dublin (more to do with the rules as they currently are) that make it less enjoyable for the spectator these days- these things would include less long range point shooting, less high fielding from kickouts, excessive handpassing and others.

There was an awful lot of kick passing in that Dublin Kerry game.
    The mark has worked superbly in gaelic football. The handpassing issue only occurred as a direct result of the negative tactics of Donegal, Tyrone.
    It would be stupid to bring the ball into the tackle in that scenario.
    Dublin have the ability to mix and match thier tactics.

As regards the standard of the last Dublin v Kerry game - look at the stats of both teams and the number of wides - can you find a game with better stats?
    Or even just name a game you thought was a better quality?
    But the problem is that Dublin's superior strength and conditioning and bench mean they will always pull away from teams- Cork, Meath, Mayo and Kerry weren't all "unlucky" to be thrashed in the second half the way they were.

This is really laughable every county has S&C coaches you are making out that they supermen. Also you have tripped yourself up on the Dublin bench.
    In the crunch games the Dublin bench have started to be found to be wanting.
    It is the same core of aging players. Even TSG have cottoned on to this.
    Do Kerry people still get that level of fear when Kevin Mc comes of the bench?
    How did Costello perform from the bench in recent games for example?
    Did Connolly perform as he has done in previous years?

Cork have faded against many teams not just Dublin. If you truly analyse Dublin's success against both Kerry, Mayo in particular it was not just down to S&C, it was because of tactical nous and heart.
    Your own Kieran Donaghy analysed the drawn game. And Dublin pushed right up on Kerry even when they only had 14. Cluxton even pushing out on the Kerry forward.
    This left an effective 14 on 14 out the field for a lot of the time when Dublin pushed up.
    When the Dublin players attacked they deliberately focused on one side
    They cleverly left the free Kerryman on the far side of the field, so it was difficult for other players to see him.

I can see through what you are trying to, you are trying to downplay Dublin's undoubted game intelligence, skill, and tactical acumen, and place the main reason down to brute force.
    I find this ironic coming form a Kerryman who is supposed to appreciate 'footballers' head up etc
    Financial doping is a good phrase as I've previously explained for the reasons mentioned in my last post. I've always said Dublin have some brilliant footballers. I'm sure they work hard too. But without the money they would not have as much success, without a doubt.

How is it a good phrase as you are using it incorrectly!?
    It is to do with the purchasing of players in a professional sport.
    The definition of the phrase is not even close to your intended meaning/slur.
    Once again you hark back to Ewan Mackenna. Other pundits were talking about the funding and splitting Dublin for various reasons this week- McStay, O'Rourke, Sean Moran- are they all brainwashed rabid Dublin haters too?

Of course I 'hark back' to Ewan McKenna because he was the individual who first shoehorned the phrase 'financial doping' to the Dubs.
    He is a individual who is very distant from the GAA and only seeks to wind people up regardless of the sport - Rugby Ireland's victory v NZ it was only a friendly he said, Lowry's victory in golf - Mckenna called him a fascist. Also he called Jim Gavin an odious nasty little man.
    Off the wall type of stuff.

Do you see the pattern here? This is the person whose phrase you have parroted. Do you really want be associated with that?
    Not only do you use the phrase, you not not seem to understand its definition, and to top it off you follow the phrasing of an individual with questionable integrity.

There was no financial doping of Kerry compared to what has gone on in Dublin. If you want the provincials done away it, I've already said that would be fine- the answer wasn't to financially dope Dublin in response.

Again you use the phase 'financial doping' see above
    Also the provincials were less beneficial to Kerry for the last 30 or so years as A. Cork and Clare won more than Kerry from 1987 to 2000 and B. You had qualifiers/ quarter finals and later the super 8s which meant more games and chances for all teams.

Come on this argument seems very weak. Kerry and Cork have had a seeded Munster championship for years. A province where most of the other counties were mainly hurling ones. Clare won more then Kerry between 1987 and 2000? Do you mean thier munster football win in 92? :D Their first since 1917!
    This isn't a once in a lifetime Dublin team- they will keep winning indefinitely.

Not true as I said above dip in standard of Dublin and the number of players from the 2011 team (11) , and the 2013 team (7) that are still on the panel. Other counties winning the league u21 and minor etc very recently.
    The aging Dublin bench etc.

Got a good laugh off this one, of of the most unintentionally hilarious posts on this thread.

I get the feeling you not want to address the definition of 'financial doping' as you know it is not applicable to Dublin GAA, or any GAA for that matter.
    It is much easier for you to gloss over it and go 'haha'

Some very, very good posts there, makes a good change from this thread. I've always slagged off the standard of officiating in Gaelic Games- refs can and do win or lose games and I've said as much. Most recently I commented on Wexford-Tipperary as a neutral, where if Tipperary lost, they could legitimately have blamed the ref.

Some very, very good posts there?
    Now I do realise you are being sarcastic.
    I wasn't aware of the financial doping in 2013 hence why I didn't factor it in, not sure when my awakening occurred. I have always thought a two way split of Dublin was justified on population grounds alone however.

Again the use of the phrase 'financial doping' - you do not seem to understand its meaning and try to apply it to an amateur sport!
    The rest of the paragraph reads like a fella back tracking furiously when he has being caught out and looks stupid

More of a supporter of Gaelic Games as a whole than Kerry- for instance I would be just as quick to criticise any unfair advantages Kerry have if they were ruining the game in a manner equivalent to Dublin.
    If anything, those posts show I genuinely do have no animosity towards Dublin. Like I have said, Dublin GAA will benefit from a split as well. I'm pleased to see this becoming a more common conversation these days.

Don't mind teams winning as long as it is on a level playing field (for instance Kilkenny).

These posts read like a fella who is really backtracking.

I assume you were supporting Dublin in all those finals since 2013 against Tyrone and Mayo? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

How many of those were on hold because of dublin's involvement in the all ireland series?

If it is all about participation in Dublin, then holding off games for months is hardly going to encourage it... Talk is cheap. But the actions of dublin gaa shows that their senior team is the only show in town
    Absolute rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Yes let's move the Leinster semi finals and final out of Croke Park. What ground in Leinster should we play these games in? Nolan Park and O' Moore Park at 27,000 are the next largest. So will we take another hit to the communal coffers at get far less through the gates than want to go? Or will we play the Leinster championship in Tipperary or Cork?
    Think about the semi finals this year. Meath vs Laois. At most 5k turned up from Meath and Laois. There was the same crowd in Navan for Meath vs Ofally 2 rounds earlier. There should be a toss for home advantage if teams don't already have a home away agreement. Meath vs Laois in Navan would get over 10k and in Portlaoise probably 6/7k. In a natural venue like Tullamore it would still get over 5k.

So by putting us in Croker they are losing money.

Dublin vs Kildare is a trickier one as Kildare has a very small ground. Put it in Portlaoise I'd say. You'll probably still get 15k at it. Not too shabby and a fair venue at least. When Meaths stadium is rebuilt this would be an alternative venue and when Kildare get theirs they could get home advantage when it's their turn in the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Strumms wrote: »

Our club has all that dedication as well, but on top of all that volunteerism the GAA are giving your clubs money to employ a full time coach, to make sure the players are getting coached to a professional standard. Thats only available to the Dublin clubs unfortunately - I wonder which set of players would be better placed to realise their full playing potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kyote00

Did you read the article - it says AIG have same amount
    Kerry Group is their sponsor. Fair play to them. Dublin have AIG, whom they get evem more money from. I dont see your point here. What do you think this proves?

Our club has all that dedication as well, but on top of all that volunteerism the GAA are giving your clubs money to employ a full time coach, to make sure the players are getting coached to a professional standard. Thats only available to the Dublin clubs unfortunately - I wonder which set of players would be better placed to realise their full playing potential?

But with the smaller numbers in population the county games development administrators can cover clubs easier. It more feasible to do for clubs outside Dublin. As the sheer numbers in Dublin mean that the clubs have to get thier own GDA like Kilmacud or Cuala.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

But with the smaller numbers in population the county games development administrators can cover clubs easier. It more feasible to do for clubs outside Dublin. As the sheer numbers in Dublin mean that the clubs have to get thier own GDA like Kilmacud or Cuala.

No they can't.
    Our county has 3 full time coaches
    50+ schools
    40+ clubs

Coaches down the country don't really visit clubs.
    I think our club has got ONE visit in the last 12 months
    And we have to pay a coaching levy to county board to support the coaching and games in the county

Dubs don't have a clue about clubs outside the pale

No they can't.
    Our county has 3 full time coaches
    50+ schools
    40+ clubs

Coaches down the country don't really visit clubs.
    I think our club has got ONE visit in the last 12 months
    And we have to pay a coaching levy to county board to support the coaching and games in the county

Dubs don't have a clue about clubs outside the pale

I could say the same thing about non-dubs erins isle covers a huge catchment area one club same with round towers clondalkin as big as some counties. Both unsuccessful. No GDA as far as I know.

Also I would argue with today's technology are games development admins really required to be there in person?
    All that is really needed are instructional videos, skype calls with volunteer coaches?
    All easily done with little cost.
    It is not that difficult to follow instruction is it?
    Just takes a bit of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Also I would argue with today's technology are games development admins really required to be there in person? All that is really needed are instructional videos, skype calls with volunteer coaches? All easily done with little cost. It is not that difficult to follow instruction is it? Just takes a bit of planning.

If it's that easy to do you can send the Dublin ones down the country so.

If it's that easy to do you can send the Dublin ones down the country so.

I wouldn't be against the idea if I'm honest - fresh pair of eyes, different voice etc.

Stands up to struntiny completely how?
    When the phrase refers to the purchasing of players in a professional context.

Also the terms golden generation and begrdugers are used in the correct meaning -

"
    begrudgery

noun
    Irish informal
    resentment of any person who has achieved success"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/golden-generation"

"
    golden generation

used, especially in sports reports, to refer to a group of skilful football, rugby, etc. players of similar ages who achieve success or are expected to achieve success for their country:"

It has been proven that this is a golden generation of Dublin footballers beyond doubt.
    As there are 11 players still on the panel from the 2011 AI final team and 7 came from the 2013 AI final team. This is indisputable as it shows it is the same core of players.

In contrast Kerry only have 2 surviving players on the panel from the 2011 AI final.

If this is not a golden generation of players for Dublin I do not know what you think a golden generation of players

The phrase is Financial Doping. There is nothing in that phrase that connects the financial goings on specifically or exclusively to purchasing of players. It is simply, exactly what it says - doping of finances.

Re your spiel about golden generations. It isnt. That is just the way it is now. It is just a normal generation for dublin. You are evaluating the dublin team in terms of their opposition, who have on average 1/12th of their population and an even smaller fraction of their cash. It is the equivalent of putting a run of the mill heavyweight into the lightweight division. He doesnt have to be a special heavyweight to look good in that company, but if you only view him in that competition, he will look special

The only serious hold is on the senior football championship which is back on track next week. Your own county also postponed the SFC until after the semi final did it not?

Minimal disruption to other competitions. Senior hurling championship was not delayed after county hurlers were beaten,

Dublin far better organised than many counties who were out of inter county senior months ago.

Coming through the qualifiers means you have no choice but to postpone it. When they won connacht they were playing their club championship games when there was gaps available.

Dublin have also reduced their club championship to involving very few games. It doesnt sound well run, it sounds like the club scene is a nuisance and that the inter county scene is the only show in town. Dublin club players seem to have a pretty crap time of it, but ye the fans dont seem to care.

• Advertisement

kyote00 wrote: »
    Did you read the article - it says AIG have same amount

AIG is the biggest sponsorship deal in the gaa, so no, not the same amount.
    This still doesnt address the handouts Dublin received from the gaa and from the taxpayer by the way. Or the raft of other sponsorship deals they have.

The phrase is Financial Doping. There is nothing in that phrase that connects the financial goings on specifically or exclusively to purchasing of players. It is simply, exactly what it says - doping of finances.

Re your spiel about golden generations. It isnt. That is just the way it is now. It is just a normal generation for dublin. You are evaluating the dublin team in terms of their opposition, who have on average 1/12th of their population and an even smaller fraction of their cash. It is the equivalent of putting a run of the mill heavyweight into the lightweight division. He doesnt have to be a special heavyweight to look good in that company, but if you only view him in that competition, he will look special

I suggest you look at the dictionary on the defintion of financial doping.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/financial-doping

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/financial+doping

Nowhere does it mention amateur players. It mentions the 'purchasing of players. Unless there is something new in the GAA I am uawre unaware of? :confused:

Of course it is a golden generation there has been a clear slide in standard as I have already stated - minor, u21, league. even a young Kerry team took Dublin to a draw, the Dublin bench is creaking with old bones.
    There are 11 still on the panel from the 2011 final and seven from 2013 final .
    If that is not a golden generation I ask you what is your definition of it?
    You must have a different grasp of the English language than I do?

I also ask you to look at the number of Kerry players that are left on the panel from 2011. There are just two a blind man would be able to see the contrast with the Dublin panel.
    But as usual you have your own wilful blindness and only see what you want to see.
    Did you know the starting 15 on the Mayo team had a younger average age then that of Dublin when they faced each other in the SF?
    Cheer up! Mayo are league champions and got to AI football semi, only to be beaten by the best generation/team ever to be witnessed in your lifetime.

The level of tactics in the GAA has being brought on leaps and bounds in no small part because of this Dublin team.
    I expect Kerry to continue those levels and in future improve on it.
    If your fellow countymen had the same defeatist attitude as you, they would not keep plugging away year after year.
    Maybe you should just watch the rugby - I hear connacht rugby are doing well?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There was no financial doping of Kerry compared to what has gone on in Dublin. If you want the provincials done away it, I've already said that would be fine- the answer wasn't to financially dope Dublin in response.

Also the provincials were less beneficial to Kerry for the last 30 or so years as A. Cork and Clare won more than Kerry from 1987 to 2000 and B. You had qualifiers/ quarter finals and later the super 8s which meant more games and chances for all teams.

This is silly now. The provincial system has been an unfair institutionalised advantage to Kerry for a century or more.

Picking out one 13-year period just after the second greatest team of all time was representing Kerry is disingenuous at best.
    More of a supporter of Gaelic Games as a whole than Kerry- for instance I would be just as quick to criticise any unfair advantages Kerry have if they were ruining the game in a manner equivalent to Dublin.

If anything, those posts show I genuinely do have no animosity towards Dublin. Like I have said, Dublin GAA will benefit from a split as well. I'm pleased to see this becoming a more common conversation these days.

Don't mind teams winning as long as it is on a level playing field (for instance Kilkenny).

Then you follow it up by saying that you "would be just as quick to criticise any unfair advantages Kerry have if they were ruining the game in a manner equivalent to Dublin."

When are Waterford ever going to win a football provincial title given the century of advantages built up by Kerry. Do you agree that the only way to reverse that long tradition of Kerry success that has created a psychological hold on the province is to split Kerry in two?

Certainly, it is top of my list for fixing Munster, together with some amalgamations. I don't expect you to agree, because like some Mayo supporters on here, your primary motivation is attacking Dublin, not creating a fair and level competition.

One thing for certain is, the only way of persuading people to accept change, is if it is genuinely driven by the need to equalise competition rather than selfish motives for their own county. That is why a prerequisite for me for any conversation is that splitting Kerry is on the same agenda as splitting Dublin. No point in replacing a Dublin five-in-a-row with a Kerry seven-in-a-row built on removing Kerry's only real rival.

We can have a proper conversation once you accept the principle that splitting Kerry is as necessary as splitting Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I suggest you look at the dictionary on the defintion of financial doping.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/financial-doping

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/financial+doping

Nowhere does it mention amateur players. It mentions the 'purchasing of players. Unless there is something new in the GAA I am uawre unaware of? :confused:

Of course it is a golden generation there has been a clear slide in standard as I have already stated - minor, u21, league. even a young Kerry team took Dublin to a draw, the Dublin bench is creaking with old bones.
    There are 11 still on the panel from the 2011 final and seven from 2013 final .
    If that is not a golden generation I ask you what is your definition of it?
    You must have a different grasp of the English language than I do?

I also ask you to look at the number of Kerry players that are left on the panel from 2011. There are just two a blind man would be able to see the contrast with the Dublin panel.
    But as usual you have your own wilful blindness and only see what you want to see.
    Did you know the starting 15 on the Mayo team had a younger average age then that of Dublin when they faced each other in the SF?
    Cheer up! Mayo are league champions and got to AI football semi, only to be beaten by the best generation/team ever to be witnessed in your lifetime.

The level of tactics in the GAA has being brought on leaps and bounds in no small part because of this Dublin team.
    I expect Kerry to continue those levels and in future improve on it.
    If your fellow countymen had the same defeatist attitude as you, they would not keep plugging away year after year.
    Maybe you should just watch the rugby - I hear connacht rugby are doing well?

It is particularly difficult for Mayo supporters to live with Dublin's success.

This decade has seen the greatest Mayo team of all time. Unfortunately, they are now on the downhill slope, not having won an All-Ireland because they came up against the greatest team of all time.

The Dublin team of the 1970s was similarly unlucky, but it managed to squeeze two All-Irelands during the era of the second greatest team of all time.

The thing is, these things come round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Coming through the qualifiers means you have no choice but to postpone it. When they won connacht they were playing their club championship games when there was gaps available.

Dublin have also reduced their club championship to involving very few games. It doesnt sound well run, it sounds like the club scene is a nuisance and that the inter county scene is the only show in town. Dublin club players seem to have a pretty crap time of it, but ye the fans dont seem to care.

The Dublin SFC and SHC has exactly the same structure as the Mayo SFC!

Four groups of four, top two into quarter finals. Finalists get to play at least 6 games.

So you are wrong. Again.

And the championship has increased number of games since it was unwieldy 32 team knockout with back door.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is particularly difficult for Mayo supporters to live with Dublin's success.

This decade has seen the greatest Mayo team of all time. Unfortunately, they are now on the downhill slope, not having won an All-Ireland because they came up against the greatest team of all time.

The Dublin team of the 1970s was similarly unlucky, but it managed to squeeze two All-Irelands during the era of the second greatest team of all time.

The thing is, these things come round again.

Not particularly. Im comfortable in the knowledge that mayo had the best county team in the country in the mid 2010s. Dublin are not a county team. They are a financially doped provincial side. Only a fool would take their financial five in a row seriously or count any of those wins as meaningful.
    History will treat the period from 2013 on with derision and scorn, you cant see it coming because you are too caught up in your own hubris.
    Id much rather mayos record to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Not particularly. Im comfortable in the knowledge that mayo had the best county team in the country in the mid 2010s. Dublin are not a county team. They are a financially doped provincial side. Only a fool would take their financial five in a row seriously or count any of those wins as meaningful.
    History will treat the period from 2013 on with derision and scorn, you cant see it coming because you are too caught up in your own hubris.

History will treat the 5 in a row with the same respect that any great sporting achievement deserves. Each AI win will be treated as a great achievement. There will be no more an asterisk against them when they come up in conversation than there’s is against mickos Kerry teams for winning while getting cash backhanders from adidas and administrative favors to skip a few rounds and stay nice and fresh, and rightly so, since as an achievement you still have to go out and win 15 vs15.

The handful of bitter old men who grumble into their pint about all the reasons why it’s terrible will just sit in the corner being ignored. Much like the ones who came up with the same ****e about the dublin teams of the 70’s are ignored.

Because it’s a bit sad trying to converse with a small number of people whose bitterness and greed for their own counties success blinds them to what’s in front of them- the greatest team in the history of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

What a load of bitter nonsense , You are fooling nobody

dunnerc wrote: »

Not trying to fool anyone. Its the truth. Any objective observer would see that it is in fact an embarrassing record to have hanging over you for the rest of time. Equivalent to being a heavyweight boxer who fixed it so they could fight in the lightweight division, just so they could actually win something. You are better off winning nothing than doing that. It completely taints any subsequent achievements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

dunnerc wrote: »

As has been repeated here before his post exposes the reason why many want Dublin split etc.
    It’s not about a level playing field for ALL counties, it’s about wanting a better opportunity to win AIs for their own county.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement