Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Don't get it...so there is a rich offer of new and second hand PHEV Outlanders but some of us has to wait for Merc Audi and BMW to bring their own...is that some brand loyalty,shame or snobbish !?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

rolion wrote: »
    Don't get it...so there is a rich offer of new and second hand PHEV Outlanders but some of us has to wait for Merc Audi and BMW to bring their own...is that some brand loyalty,shame or snobbish !?

I don't know what this means.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Oh public charging stations, how i've enjoyed not visiting you... until today.

Had to make an impromptu spin down to west Cork today. GOM said I could make it there and back, but said I'd add a few KM to the range at the local fast charger before heading away.

Zap Map told me the charger had been in use for the last 30 minutes, so I was hoping when i'd arrive it'd be nearly free'd up. Arrived to a Leaf30 charging away, so I said i'd wait. During my wait, a 2nd leaf arrived at some point, so there's now 2 of use waiting to charge.
    25 minutes later, Leaf30 unplugs, but something's odd. Did my ESB card auth that quickly? Surely not!? Turns out this guy charged to full until the charger cut him off (with 2 people waiting to use the charger), then to "stop the charge" he swiped his card. So when I connected up the CCS to my car, I was actually charging off of his card. Had to ring E-Cars to disconnect me when I was ready to go. :mad:

Top it off, destination charger in Clonakilty seemed to be working fine, other than I couldn't recognise my car and thus wouldn't start charging. Leaf40 was charging on the other port (and idly fully charged when I got back from lunch - I parked in a regular space in the end).

I understand Leaf30 guy had every right to charge to 100% (or whatever Leafs charge to), but the ignorance is quite frustrating. Fees can't come in quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

West Cork is bad alright, I have had issues in Macroom and Brandon with public chargers and the local Leaf Mafia :D. Mind you I also plug my Leaf into the ESB charger while I shop in Supervalu Fermoy so I am part of the problem.:cool:

On a side note I have found a couple great charging points in business car parks for employees on my travels.

krissovo wrote: »
    West Cork is bad alright, I have had issues in Macroom and Brandon with public chargers and the local Leaf Mafia :D. Mind you I also plug my Leaf into the ESB charger while I shop in Supervalu Fermoy so I am part of the problem.:cool:

On a side note I have found a couple great charging points in business car parks for employees on my travels.

I've no problem with that, you have an EV, you're going to a shop which has a free charger. Charge while you shop.
    Shop while you charge on the other hand, that's cheap at an idiotic level. That, and those just just park up for 3-4 hours to get free juice. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I pulled up to a charger with a nice lady charging her leaf 30, any way a minute later she let her window down to tell me she was 88% and wanted more, she was going to clonmel (50km) .. I don't blame her or any one wanting to charge to 100% its nice to have that little extra range,

When charging for charging comes in, that lady will still charge to 100% its her nature to be cautious, on the other hand, others will not have the free juice excuse for the name calling.

No problem. There first, go for it, but the inefficiency of DC charging at high % battery is frustrating, especially when a queue has built up. Switch to AC and get someone else on that DC goodness. Perhaps too much to ask for the average driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

JPA wrote: »
    It does seem that a lot of car reviewers go out of their way to make things difficult when they are put in EVs.
    The story is too often about charging difficulties frequently of their own making due to ignorance or probably because it gives them something to write about.

Yep,

Seen many reviews of a guy just driving the car then talking vaguely about some card they gave him for the review and feeling range anxiety.

Plugs in and then starts mashing the card off the charger saying "oh it doesn't work, they said they enabled it for Europe"

WELL EVS aren't for EVERYONE I GUESS

Or that's at least how most of the reviews seem to go :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Whats the real world range of a 3/4 year old 30kwh Leaf?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Whats the real world range of a 3/4 year old 30kwh Leaf?
    ~170/135 Summer/Winter...depends on a lot of factors

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

slave1 wrote: »
    180/140 Summer/Winter...depends on a lot of factors

ok, but at least gives a rough ballpark figure, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Easygo app for iPhone now on the Apple app store. Android app already out a while. It will allow you to start free chargers such as lidl and pay chargers such as easygo in Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,561 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

zg3409 wrote: »
    Easygo app for iPhone now on the Apple app store. Android app already out a while. It will allow you to start free chargers such as lidl and pay chargers such as easygo in Monaghan
    Cheers for the heads up, have downloaded the app
    Will sign up for the non "PAYG" option when I get my next EV
    Always want to show support for private networks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not sure where to put this :
    Converted VW Van

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2rNt1WHiem/?igshid=2fckgg04eobu

That charger is amazing, I have a old VW van with a very tired engine that is crying out for a conversion to electric. Once a few 50kwh Zoe’s or Teslas get wrote off it would be time to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,983 ✭✭✭✭unkel

krissovo wrote: »
    Once a few 50kwh Zoe’s or Teslas get wrote off it would be time to convert.

Tesla Model S battery modules are readily available on eBay. About €1100 or a bit more for a 5kWh module

Planning a trip to IKEA at some stage over the next month (Cork -> IKEA -> Cork) in my Ioniq. Had a quick look at the ESB map to see my options.
    Ballacolla, Monasterevin, and Naas are all "out of contact". Portlaois is in use, likely because it's a busy one, and all the others are out of order.

Any greater Dublin area fast charger tips?

abetterrouteplanner is great and all, but it doesn't factor in typically "busy chargers". Seems poor from IKEA that they don't have destination chargers already.

Nope. They are all occupied with typically cars queuing up too. You can not rely on them. I would postpone my trip until charging for charging comes in. Or until there are more Ionity chargers.

For your situation, a load of 7.2kW destination chargers at Ikea would be good as you would probably be there for the guts of 3 hours shopping and eating, but you have already posted same in the Ioniq thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Planning a trip to IKEA at some stage over the next month (Cork -> IKEA -> Cork) in my Ioniq. Had a quick look at the ESB map to see my options.
    Ballacolla, Monasterevin, and Naas are all "out of contact". Portlaois is in use, likely because it's a busy one, and all the others are out of order.

abetterrouteplanner is great and all, but it doesn't factor in typically "busy chargers". Seems poor from IKEA that they don't have destination chargers already.

Across to the M11 and up to Ikea? M11 is well served with CCS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Anyone know how long it takes an SEAI grant to come through when buying a new car? (The 5k grant) Is it any quicker than the 3 weeks quoted? Also how long after it’s approved would it take the garage to have a car ready to go?

Across to the M11 and up to Ikea? M11 is well served with CCS.

Extra 50km and 1hr 15 excluding charging (says Google).

One of the reasons I bought a phev, was all of the above, chargers down or busy, and getting there on time.
    Plus a big ass boot.

Maybe get a train? Do IKEA deliver?

kanuseeme wrote: »
    One of the reasons I bought a phev, was all of the above, chargers down or busy, and getting there on time.
    Plus a big ass boot.

Maybe get a train? Do IKEA deliver?

Ah no, I'll still make the trip regardless. I'll be in no rush anyways.

Also, IKEA on the train? Insanity

Ah no, I'll still make the trip regardless. I'll be in no rush anyways.

Also do IKEA deliver?

I did that as a student, with a Billy book case on my shoulder. That was a hard trek :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Is there any website that shows the real range of the various electric vehicles? I use to refer a lot to the honest John real mpg website. The telsa range webpage is excellent. https://teslike.com/range/

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes an SEAI grant to come through when buying a new car? (The 5k grant) Is it any quicker than the 3 weeks quoted? Also how long after it’s approved would it take the garage to have a car ready to go?

It took 5 weeks for my leaf back in June:eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

charlieIRL wrote: »

Ten working days I thought. Took mine two full weeks to the day.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I would postpone my trip until charging for charging comes in.

Isn't that supposed to be announced this month!?

Advertisement