Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

krissovo wrote: »
    It took 5 weeks for my leaf back in June:eek:

No way? Balls.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ten working days I thought. Took mine two full weeks to the day.

Mines in 2 weeks tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

What plugin hybrids are available. Only one I’m aware of really is the Mitsubishi Outlander.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What plugin hybrids are available. Only one I’m aware of really is the Mitsubishi Outlander.

Loads of them... these all have a PHEV variant you can buy
    Ioniq
    Niro
    Optima
    Golf
    Passat
    i3
    330e
    530e
    etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Isn't that supposed to be announced this month!?
    Yes, and every month since 2017

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ELM327 wrote: »

Building up the tension I see!

Still awaiting IEVOA to release more information "next week"

https://www.irishevowners.ie/ieova-meeting-with-esb-ecars-23-aug-2019/
    This is all the information we can provide for now but hope to be able to share some more details early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

KCross wrote: »
    Loads of them... these all have a PHEV variant you can buy
    Ioniq
    Niro
    Optima
    Golf
    Passat
    i3
    330e
    530e
    etc

Opel ampera/ volt?

BMW 225e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

This is all the information we can provide for now but hope to be able to share some more details early next week.

https://www.irishevowners.ie/esb-ecars-meeting-23-8-2019-full-report/?fbclid=IwAR0hAkiVvag0Jr3_NnpKKWsJkrcSBhL4_2fLhyfvmKtLXV9WXX2N884Sx2c

No real news. Fees on the way any year now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes an SEAI grant to come through when buying a new car? (The 5k grant) Is it any quicker than the 3 weeks quoted? Also how long after it’s approved would it take the garage to have a car ready to go?

There was some talk of all EV car grants on hold until budget was announced. Think I saw it mentioned by some purchasers on facebook. Also there is shortages of some cars like the Niro.

zg3409 wrote: »
    There was some talk of all EV car grants on hold until budget was announced. Think I saw it mentioned by some purchasers on facebook. Also there is shortages of some cars like the Niro.

Thats for cars registered in 2020 AFAIK.
    If they have an EV ready to be registered in 2019 they can go ahead and register it and claim the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

oh, so the paying for charging for now is only for the 'fast' chargers.
    I presume the Type-2 AC Socket 22kW charging stations are NOT considered as fast?

oh, so the paying for charging for now is only for the 'fast' chargers.
    I presume the Type-2 AC Socket 22kW charging stations are NOT considered as fast?

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Taycan charge curve at Ionity, from 5:51

Charge to 80%: 20 minutes
    80%-100%: 30 minutes.

11%: 250kW
    22%: 260kW
    34%: 200kW
    39%: 150kW
    60%: 155kW
    70%: 160kW
    71%: 150kW
    75%: 120kW
    80%: 90kW
    85%: 38kW

Then seems all over the place until 99%.

Forgive my ignorance but at 800v why does it not charge much faster that that?
    We've seen the model 3 charge at 250kW on 400v and 200kW on 400v at Ionity. For me, incredible as it seems, those charge rates are too slow for what 800v could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

We've seen the model 3 charge at 250kW on 400v and 200kW on 400v at Ionity. For me, incredible as it seems, those charge rates are too slow for what 800v could be.

You'd certainly think that it could keep over 200 kw for longer .

Personally I suspect Porsche want to ensure durability and consistant charge speeds during both individual long trips and over the long term into higher mileages.

They would want to avoid scenarios where.

1) you get 350 kw charging at 1st rapid but the car only does 70 kw at 2nd stop.

And

2) avoid Tesla type having to cut back charge speed when car is older .

We could see more power being allowed charging wise if Porsche are happy with data from real world .

I don't think anyone outside the industry really understands why the fast charging profiles differ so much between different manufacturers and models. There's a lot of speculation (voltage, cooling etc) but few verifiable facts.

Ultimately I doubt the decision on whether someone buys a Taycan or a top-end Model S is going to come down to how many kW it takes in the top half of the SoC. They'll be chosen mainly for emotional and aesthetic reasons, just like most cars always have, cheap or expensive.

Their headline figure a few years back was 350kW but then they said in the last year or so that the max it would do for the first version of it would be 250kW and then they would look at 350kW after that.

My guess is the pack they have isnt up to a 350kW rate and maybe they are waiting for a different pack in 2022 or something. Could also be a case of being conservative and waiting for some telemetry data back from production cars and maybe they'll unleash the power OTA later once they see the packs are holding up.

250kW is serious power all the same, although it did drop back to 150kW rather quickly

Charging speed can be spun many ways.

For example, while the "0-80% in 20 mins" of the Taycan seems impressive, that's only about 330km WLTP, which is 56% of a Model S Raven (I think), or 52kWh. So to match the Taycan in terms of "km per 20 min of charging" only requires 156kW average, which isn't that much of a challenge.

Efficiency matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Correct

Are you sure?

I've seen a lot of terminology referring to these as fast chargers, as opposed to the rapid chargers - CCS / CHAdeMo / Fast AC?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Mines in 2 weeks tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

16 days since I applied and still no word yet (13 working days) Was hoping to have heard by now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Alkers wrote: »
    Are you sure?

I've seen a lot of terminology referring to these as fast chargers, as opposed to the rapid chargers - CCS / CHAdeMo / Fast AC?

Some call the DC chargers "Rapid", and the 22kW AC chargers as "Fast". Some (or most in my experience) call the DC chargers "Fast", and the AC chargers "slow". IMO, they're slow. Taking 3-4 hours to charge my car is not fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Car is nagging me for a service

Do I bother with a main dealer eye gouging me or not?

I can do the usuals myself but I'm wondering what a dealer can do that would be worth the stretch?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Car is nagging me for a service

Do I bother with a main dealer eye gouging me or not?

I can do the usuals myself but I'm wondering what a dealer can do that would be worth the stretch?

Is it still under warranty? If so, go dealer.
    Your call otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Is it still under warranty? If so, go dealer.
    Your call otherwise.

Yea, still under warranty

Do you get any decent feedback on the battery health / hi voltage components with these inspections?

Looks more like €120 I should keep in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

slave1 wrote: »

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBPMJuTh0DA8wfTlXOuaYttaeg-68BPQ6AU57QCH-TzBwswzWlmg

Hydrogen cars will never happen. Surely that was clear for all to see at least 5 years ago? The only future for hydrogen that I can see is that we can produce it with excess renewable energy to be used to generate electricity at peak demand time, or for powering ships or other incredibly power hungry machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

slave1 wrote: »

Never seen a more crooked shower of companies involved

BOC Gases, Bord Gáis Energy, Toyota Ireland, CIÉ Group, Hyundai Ireland

Who would even want to go near that group

All of whom have inherent bias

I dont see alot wrong with the article in the context of what they are targeting...
    ...confirmed that it will initially be aimed at “captive” fleets, whereby vehicles can be refuelled at a central depot. “It’s a central hub model, for now, rather than a distributed network. Our focus is on captive fleets, and Dublin Bus and CIÉ as a whole are both part of the group, and contributing to the discussions.

Hydrogen starts to make sense for captive commercial fleets.

The grid is supposed to be going towards a much higher percentage of renewables which means there could, in time, be excess energy available which you can then use to generate hydrogen.

Certainly a hydrogen fueled Dublin bus is going to be better than what we have right now. Its really down to how the hydrogen is generated as to whether its worth doing or not.

For cars, cant see hydrogen working. The cost of putting hydrogen stations all over the country is prohibitive. They quoted €2m per station.... that aint going to happen by 2030!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    Hydrogen starts to make sense for captive commercial fleets.

China has about 500,000 BEV buses (and growing very quickly) and about 1,000 hydrogen buses, the latter mostly trials promoted by some heavily invested stakeholders like Toyota

Buses need to go BEV, all R&D into hydrogen for road transport is a complete waste of money

Hydrogen fuelled back up electricity power plants (for when a jurisdiction is low on renewables and low on interconnector import), that is the main future of hydrogen

Advertisement