Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

finbarrk wrote: »
    The place is hopping there this weekend. Mods, change the OP’s thread title.

Given that there is good July weather and a run, the photographs of the beach yesterday do not show remarkable numbers on it. Nothing like it was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Stanford wrote: »
    If its any consolation I was in Ballybunion last week and its the same dump it was 20 years ago

I was in ballybunion a few years ago on a day in mid November....I thought I'd walked onto the set of a horror movie .....

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

By all accounts this was one of the best weekends in memory, the run, the festival, fireworks, bars restaurants etc had a bumper. Beach packed today, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Given that there is good July weather and a run, the photographs of the beach yesterday do not show remarkable numbers on it. Nothing like it was years ago.

The beach was packed. I don’t know what you were looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

finbarrk wrote: »
    The beach was packed. I don’t know what you were looking at.

Oooooh burn for the Negative Nancy !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Radio5 wrote: »
    Any reports on the reopened Kilkee Bay? What has happened to the long closed Ocean Cove Hotel ?

The car park was full yesterday, 14/7/2019. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Can't wait to go in August i absolutely love Kilkee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Where could I look for a house to rent in kilkee?
    The few on airbnb / donedeal are all booked up for August. Is there any other place to look?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hard to get anyplace in August. Popular spot then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Having been in Kilkee last week, I noticed te advertising of vacant rooms in guest houses. i went to Naughtons and thought it was very disappointing. A much overrated establishment in my opinion. I thought the Indian was good as was Murphy Blacks, although why they don't clean the front windows in Murphy Blacks is a mystery. The Bayview has improved from my last visit. Overall, the place is stale. Most of the pubs seem to be staffed by students who don't bother talking to anyone, the beach was off-limits for several days due to water pollution. The bathing facilities are as primitive or even more primitive than they were decades ago. There was very good bread in the Irish House but the oul fella there has an attitude problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There was very good bread in the Irish House but the oul fella there has an attitude problem.

good bread? thats it? not much of a recommendation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Come to Kilkee "We got bread"

Meanwhile, Ennistimon, Lahinch, Liscannor, "We got even more bread"

I had breakfast in the Little Fox in Ennistimon last week my taste buds we're popping for hours afterwards. 10/10 for food, didn't notice any bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

The bathing facilities are as primitive or even more primitive than they were decades ago. .

What are you on about? It's a beach and a safe one at that. There are diving boards and plenty of places for easy access to the sea. What do you want? A special car to drive you into the sea? Hot water showers by the water line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭jackboy

I had breakfast in the Little Fox in Ennistimon last week my taste buds we're popping for hours afterwards. 10/10 for food, didn't notice any bread.

Little fox is top class. Ennistymon is a good example of what a small town can do.

It's not all bad in Kilkee. There is a nice safe beach and a couple of nice places to eat. However, driving around the town it is hard not to describe it as a kip. It is very shabby and has been like this for years. There is just not enough interest in the locality to clean the place up.

In the meantime, most of the other towns on the west clare coast have steadily improved over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Palmach wrote: »
    What are you on about? It's a beach and a safe one at that. There are diving boards and plenty of places for easy access to the sea. What do you want? A special car to drive you into the sea? Hot water showers by the water line?

The bathing shelter at Burns Cove has been demolished. the shelter on the rocks at the West End is permanently locked. The public toilet on the beach is decades old. A tourist resort should evolve its product. In this case the product is inferior to that of 50 years ago. Irish tourist resorts now have to compete with continental venues. A tourist resort which was in its prime when people brought their own bacon and cabbage with them for their holidays will wither if it continues with the same offering and indeed inferior offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 N1977

The bathing shelter at Burns Cove has been demolished. the shelter on the rocks at the West End is permanently locked. The public toilet on the beach is decades old. A tourist resort should evolve its product. In this case the product is inferior to that of 50 years ago. Irish tourist resorts now have to compete with continental venues. A tourist resort which was in its prime when people brought their own bacon and cabbage with them for their holidays will wither if it continues with the same offering and indeed inferior offering.

Yes, but they did install 2 taps on the slipway near the (derelict) Waterfront so you can wash your feet.... Rome wasn't built in a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

Had a few pints in Kilkee Friday night .
    Ended up in the greyhound , good band out back . Good Craic .
    All the pubs were fairly packed but I suppose the
    season is winding down .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mass exodus from Kilkee and other coastal towns and villages last night.

The shelter at Burns Cove was destroyed in a storm. The shelter is locked because it is used for storage. No one needs these to change. Gone are the days when people had shelters for changing clothes. This is the case in most resorts as unlocked bathing shelters get used for underage drinking and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Nice new facilities at Spanish Point beach - why can't they be all along the coast ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Gary Owen wrote: »
    Had a few pints in Kilkee Friday night .
    Ended up in the greyhound , good band out back . Good Craic .
    All the pubs were fairly packed but I suppose the
    season is winding down .

I have to be glad you enjoyed yourself. But could you have done similar anywhere? It wouldn't justify a 60km drive for me from Ennis or a 100km spin from Limerick .

I think the natural beauty is worthy; the cliff walks and the Pollock Holes are a tonic. The beach is large and safe. However, the offerings of the town are rather flat by contrast. I don't every dally; as a daytripper, I'll eat elsewhere. There is no vibrancy about it and the locals are happy to let it stagnate. What the fix is, I confess I don't know. You'd be talking large funds that simply are not there.

topper75 wrote: »
    I have to be glad you enjoyed yourself. But could you have done similar anywhere? It wouldn't justify a 60km drive for me from Ennis or a 100km spin from Limerick .

I think the natural beauty is worthy; the cliff walks and the Pollock Holes are a tonic. The beach is large and safe. However, the offerings of the town are rather flat by contrast. I don't every dally; as a daytripper, I'll eat elsewhere. There is no vibrancy about it and the locals are happy to let it stagnate. What the fix is, I confess I don't know. You'd be talking large funds that simply are not there.

Where do eat? West of Ennis no other town has the choice of places to eat as Kilkee.

Where do eat? West of Ennis no other town has the choice of places to eat as Kilkee.
    Lots of towns in West Clare have better options for food than Kilkee. Kilkee is very lacking in this area.

jackboy wrote: »
    Lots of towns in West Clare have better options for food than Kilkee. Kilkee is very lacking in this area.

Utter rubbish. I know the area well. There is no town in West Clare with anything like the choice of Kilkee.

Utter rubbish. I know the area well. There is no town in West Clare with anything like the choice of Kilkee.

Your wrong. Lahince, ennistymon, Spanish point, Liscannor.....and so on further north. Kilkee has very poor offering for the size of the town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Your wrong. Lahince, ennistymon, Spanish point, Liscannor.....and so on further north. Kilkee has very poor offering for the size of the town.

You're naming towns and villages, but not restaurants. You need to provide examples if you want to prove your point.

You're naming towns and villages, but not restaurants. You need to provide examples if you want to prove your point.

There was no restaurants named in the post I was replying to.

There was no restaurants named in the post I was replying to.

Well I'll make it easy for you. There are 8 sit down restaurants in Kilkee open during the season and they are all within walking distance of each other. That's before the cafes are thrown in.. There is no other town west of Ennis with that amount. As to the quality check them on trip advisor and see Georgina Campbell's list to give yourself an idea. You really should inform yourself before posting nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lahinch/Liscannor have plenty and very good restraunts.
    Even Joe's cafe is seriously good food for a cafe, great burger in there. O'Looneys, Randaddys, Vaughan's, Moy house, I'm not seeing anything of that quality in Kilkee, mentioned earlier as well the Little Fox in Ennistimon. Your spoilt for choice out that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Well I'll make it easy for you. There are 8 sit down restaurants in Kilkee open during the season and they are all within walking distance of each other. That's before the cafes are thrown in.. There is no other town west of Ennis with that amount. As to the quality check them on trip advisor and see Georgina Campbell's list to give yourself an idea. You really should inform yourself before posting nonsense.

What are the 8 restaurants? I know of only one true restaurant in Kilkee and that is Murphy Blacks, which is excellent. I'm not counting bar food in several other places.

EDIT: I forgot about The Strand, so that's two

Advertisement