Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Thinking of going to Kilkee for a day during my week off. It's a long time since I visited and anyone I knew from there either lives somewhere else now or I have lost contact with.

The last time I visited was probably about 2009 or thereabouts, with a few mates and one local whose house we stayed in. We did the same things most free and single guys do on a summer's day in a seaside town, i.e. hit the main street, went out on the beer and had a good time.

I have tried asking around if anyone wants to go back but most of my mates from back then have other commitments now. So it looks like I'll be doing it on my own.

I was hoping to find a place to stay but every place I contacted is fully booked and has been for a while, so a day trip is the only game in town. That rules out going out on the lash as I'll be driving to and from there on the same day but damn I really want to go back. It's been too long.

I'd like to get a) a decent walk around, b) a swim and c) a decent dinner.

On point a) I remember the local guy I used to know taking us up around the cliffs but can't really remember the route. I also remember going on a nice walk somewhere else. Some of the route was near a golf course. Speaking of which, does the golf course do green fees for casual visitors? If that is the case then I might bring my clubs with me and (attempt to) play some golf!

b) Usually when I went to Kilkee I went to the pollock holes, or sometimes the beach. I remember another beach a few miles out on the Shannon Estuary. The name of the place escapes me now though. There was another swimming spot just beyond a hotel overlooking a concrete pier. I only swam there once though. We were clambering over rock formations to get to it.

c) As for food, there was an Indian takeaway on the main street the last time I was there which was proper good. There was also a decent Chinese take-away (Young's, I think). Are these places still there?

Looking forward to hearing recommendations from people who have been there more recently than me...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

a). You can do the cliff walk by the pollock holes or the one by the golf club side. Both well signposted.

B). Glasheen beach doonaha.

C). Indian gone since covid sadly, one Chinese called happy harbour, and an array of chippers. Plenty of restaurants to choose from at the weekends.

Advertisement