Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

I find the fact that the majority of the locals are no longer invested in tourism, that there is a certain rough element attracted to Kilkee and the fact that those businesses which are seasonal have a lot of tired and aggressive owners means there is a distinct lack of welcome in the town.There also appears to be a poor self image among a lot of the locals.

A rough element? Utter balderdash. It is one of the safest places who can be in Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Palmach wrote: »
    A rough element? Utter balderdash. It is one of the safest places who can be in Summer.

You obviously haven't been there much...there have been some serious incidents over the years...all drug related mind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Care to give examples of this "rudeness "?

We got forgotten about in a takeaway. People that had been in after us were being served the same food we'd ordered. Fair enough, it was busy, I had a feeling we'd been lost in the list and I politely asked if we'd been missed and I got a pretty rude lecture on how food needs to be cooked with some pretty choice language. I then got my food thrown at me!!!

Some really bad language at the Paddy's day parade in front of the kids. Proper See You Next Tuesday stuff being roared by one group to another (the parade was excellent, proper rural town with tractors and the local fire volunteers and community)

Broken window in the rental so our heating was high, asked for a small reduction was given a laugh and a straight up "you can afford it"

Weird cases of not allowing me to parallel park by driving right up behind me so I couldn't reverse in even though I had my indicator and reverse lights on.

My wife was told Kilkee is a place for Limerick people on holiday and "certainly not Dubliners". (she's not from Dublin)

Nothing serious, but just an unfriendliness that we'd not be used to. Enough to ensure us not returning. The people in Murphy Blacks were nice though.

Maybe we just got Kilkee on a a bad week or on the tail end of a bad winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hmmmm.......ok. I'll take it at face value but the numbers who return to Kilkee year after year are very high. There are many generations who go there.

Maybe. There are many who have stopped going. I have a sister who used to go every year and stopped going because of poor accommodation and bad service in some outlets

John_Rambo wrote: »
    We got forgotten about in a takeaway. People that had been in after us were being served the same food we'd ordered. Fair enough, it was busy, I had a feeling we'd been lost in the list and I politely asked if we'd been missed and I got a pretty rude lecture on how food needs to be cooked with some pretty choice language. I then got my food thrown at me!!!

Some really bad language at the Paddy's day parade in front of the kids. Proper See You Next Tuesday stuff being roared by one group to another (the parade was excellent, proper rural town with tractors and the local fire volunteers and community)

Broken window in the rental so our heating was high, asked for a small reduction was given a laugh and a straight up "you can afford it"

Weird cases of not allowing me to parallel park by driving right up behind me so I couldn't reverse in even though I had my indicator and reverse lights on.

My wife was told Kilkee is a place for Limerick people on holiday and "certainly not Dubliners". (she's not from Dublin)

Nothing serious, but just an unfriendliness that we'd not be used to. Enough to ensure us not returning. The people in Murphy Blacks were nice though.

Maybe we just got Kilkee on a a bad week or on the tail end of a bad winter.
    +1. I was in the Bayview at lunchtime one day and i ordered some food. The oul wan there fixed me with a cold stare while she brought the food. I had no complaint with the food but the hostility was awful. I noticed the same thing in one establishment in the Isle of Man once. It seems the owners work flat out during the summer and get really impatient and bad tempered after a few weeks.
    Naughtons is another place I wouldn't go into again if I had any choice in the matter. They must be nazi trained in there!
    As for accommodation, some of the operators there are tricksters and it is depressing to have to constantly watch what they try on. Ryanair have nothing on them for hidden terms and conditions. They brazen their way out of everything. I complained in Spanish Cove once about a filthy apartment and the attitude was I could take it or get my money back. They seemed to have no idea that people would expect a clean apartment when coming on holidays.

• Advertisement

That had nothing nothing but nothing to do with drugs. You utterly dishonest individual.

Guards in Kilrush and most locals in kilkee & Kilrush would disagree with you... massive issues with Kilrush boys and the drugs trade unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'll agree that Kilkee has its issues, many of the business owners can be quite rude, however nothing rising to the level portrayed by some posters here. Some of the things that have been said are so excessive, one can only think there's some sort of Vendetta or underlying reason that we're not being told.

Using the murder of Karl Haugh to paint the town as scummy and drug filled is nothing short of abhorrent and appalling, as well as downright incorrect.

Not to get into the details, but that was the work of Kilrush scumbags. One simply needs to wander around Kilrush for a while and then you'd realise how absurd the contention that Kilkee is scummy. Most scummy elements I see in kilkee come from blow-ins, non locals.

Not a particular fan of Kilkee myself, however what's being suggested here is extremely over the top.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'll agree that Kilkee has its issues, many of the business owners can be quite rude, however nothing rising to the level portrayed by some posters here. Some of the things that have been said are so excessive, one can only think there's some sort of Vendetta or underlying reason that we're being told.

Using the murder of Karl Haugh to paint the town as scummy and drug filled is nothing short of abhorrent and appalling, as well as downright incorrect.

Not to get into the details, but that was the work of Kilrush scumbags. One simply needs to wander around Kilrush for a while and then you'd realise how absurd the contention that Kilkee is scummy. Most scummy elements I see in kilkee come from blow-ins, non locals.

Not a particular fan of Kilkee myself, however what's being suggested here is extremely over the top.

I'm not painting the town as scummy. I am saying there have been issues(such as my linked story) and I know it's led to some folks deciding against kilkee for their summer holidays.

I can only go by my own experiences. If trouble is coming in from Kilrush, then it is trouble for Kilkee. if have had uneasy experiences in some places in Kilkee and I gathered there was some kind of drug taking going on. My main issue is the inability of some business owners to accept a complaint without losing their heads completely. Another isue is the surliness of some people who are dealing with the public. I used to go into one of the pubs. a few years ago there used to be a bit of chat with the barman. Now in the same pub there are two much younger bar-staff who spend their spare time nipping into the rear to check their i-phones. They are pleasant enough when serving the drinks but the old friendliness is gone.
    what seems to have evolved in Kilkee is that many of the tourists are those who own their own accommodation. There are also many day trippers who pile in when the weather is good. There are also many short stay visitors doing a night or two. There are very few non owners staying a week or two or longer as used to be the case. Despite all the charms of Kilkee it is losing out because going there means a lottery in terms of the standard of accommodation, and a limited choice with regard to restaurants and pubs with rudeness and unfriendliness thrown in for good measure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you can't post in a proper manner within the rules then don't post otherwise cards/bans will be handed out.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    If you can't post in a proper manner within the rules without being a d1ck then don't post otherwise cards/bans will be handed out.

Can u please delete the post above concerning the death of Karl Haugh? Thank you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you have a problem with a post, report it please.

I'm not 100% sure which post is meant, we've no problem with discussion, in fact we encourage it so we won't take action on posts unless they are reported or spotted by a mod first.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Ahh relax will ye, Kilkee is beautiful, enjoy it for what it is, a beautiful safe beach, my kids love running around it, they are of an age where we cannot sit in restaurants peacefully or outside bars.

We have an excellent mobile home park , fresh air , beautiful walks, get to meet up with friends for a chat and coffee and getting away from Limerick feels like a great break, there is way more to life than how someone looks at you in a restuarant or bar when serving you , enjoy life a bit more.

Ahh relax will ye, Kilkee is beautiful, enjoy it for what it is, a beautiful safe beach, my kids love running around it, they are of an age where we cannot sit in restaurants peacefully or outside bars.

We have an excellent mobile home park , fresh air , beautiful walks, get to meet up with friends for a chat and coffee and getting away from Limerick feels like a great break, there is way more to life than how someone looks at you in a restuarant or bar when serving you , enjoy life a bit more.

The far side of hell would be a great break from Limerick. If people don't like rudeness, which many don't, they can and will go elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I don't know if anyone knows who put up the aggressive posters in Kilkee. Maybe outsiders. Maybe the guards have suspects. And I don't believe that level of aggression is unique to Kilkee. There's too much of it in this land of ours. Anyway, here's an extract from the Guardian about the Scottish isle of Tiree:

"For all my life, Tiree has been most important when I haven’t been there. Working, worrying, in exhaustion or despair, it’s the place I go to in my mind for ease and peace, with the backstop of knowing that if things get tough, I can just get to Oban and jump on the ferry. Now, for the first time ever, I can’t. An Tirisdeach, the island’s fortnightly news-sheet arrives through my city letterbox with news that the Baptist chapel at Baugh has become an isolation ward – should need arise – and a charming editorial that begs Tiree’s friends and visitors to stay away. We mustn’t even go to help with the lambing. The editor promises the island will welcome us back, when the right time comes."

There you have it. Good manners cost nothing and go a long way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

What’s the date for likely reopening

What’s the date for likely reopening

As per the national guidelines. Sad and pathetic though they are. Summer is gone for seaside towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

Caravan parks are due open late July and pubs mid august. All going well

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Travel restrictions lifted 20th of July, I assume everyone is taking a holiday that week.
    Maybe it'll be lifted before July, the next 2 weeks will tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Social distancing rules post 10 August will be the same as they were prior to the lockdown. At that stage local representatives were telling people to stay away, even championing signs erected on the N67 telling people to go home. As the virus will still be here in August I'd be interested to see if the local representatives still want people to stay away from Kilkee and if not what exactly has changed from mid March to now!

• Advertisement

ABEasy wrote: »
    Social distancing rules post 10 August will be the same as they were prior to the lockdown. At that stage local representatives were telling people to stay away, even championing signs erected on the N67 telling people to go home. As the virus will still be here in August I'd be interested to see if the local representatives still want people to stay away from Kilkee and if not what exactly has changed from mid March to now!
    I would presume they'd be saying welcome but remember social distancing. The infection rate in August would be very different to March.

the problem in August won't be the social distancing i pubs but the day trippers turning up with a car full of kids and queuing for ice cream, coffee shops, toilets etc.

I would presume they'd be saying welcome but remember social distancing. The infection rate in August would be very different to March.

But the number of infected in March was very very low, think there was less than 100 infected at that stage! So there will be very little that has changed from March to August virus wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

But the number of infected in March was very very low, think there was less than 100 infected at that stage! So there will be very little that has changed from March to August virus wise.

County Clare at least yesterday had zero new cases which is something as well.

Berty wrote: »
    County Clare at least yesterday had zero new cases which is something as well.

Yes but the argument back in March was that 'outsiders' would bring the virus to the area. Low infection rates in Clare won't change that. Would be good to hear from the local representatives as to what they are advising for the summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Yes but the argument back in March was that 'outsiders' would bring the virus to the area. Low infection rates in Clare won't change that. Would be good to hear from the local representatives as to what they are advising for the summer.

I’d say they’re on their uppers and will be begging people to come and spend hopping that the earlier stuff is forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

I've seen kilrush go from a ghost town 3 weeks ago to today being every bit as busy as it was before the virus, some people think all the restrictions have been lifted. Hopefully it won't have a negative effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There was about 4,500 confirmed cases at 31 of March.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There was about 4,500 confirmed cases at 31 of March.

I think people are mroe interested in the daily increases rather than the total cases, there was ~24k cases up to yesterday but the fact that there was less than 100 new cases was good news. I'm just hoping that there isn't a spike, there's another bank holiday in a few weeks, if there's a big influx of people there could be a risk of infection BUT if tourist spots don't start to open up a bit people will be struggling big time.

Deciding between medical and economic well being is extremely difficult, especially as we have done over 2 months of lock down at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah and that will be the driver as to how the easing of restrictions progress. If there is a significant rise in daily cases in 3 weeks time then phase 2 might be delayed. With 100,000 tests a day* we should have absolute clarity in data which we did not have back in March.
    The number of active cases now is somewhere around the 4,000 mark. That will drop over the next 7 days given that people are recovering at a higher rate than they are being infected. Once that trend continues we are making progress.

*sceptical but willing to be proved wrong.

Advertisement