Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Palmach

What are the 8 restaurants? I know of only one true restaurant in Kilkee and that is Murphy Blacks, which is excellent. I'm not counting bar food in several other places.

EDIT: I forgot about The Strand, so that's two

What is a "true" restaurant? There is no such thing.

Lahinch/Liscannor have plenty and very good restraunts.
    Even Joe's cafe is seriously good food for a cafe, great burger in there. O'Looneys, Randaddys, Vaughan's, Moy house, I'm not seeing anything of that quality in Kilkee, mentioned earlier as well the Little Fox in Ennistimon. Your spoilt for choice out that direction.

*sound of goal posts being shifted* Yes if you want to sweep from Lahinch the whole way up to Ennistimon there are for sure more restaurants than Kilkee. I was referring to the one geographical town/townland. As I said you can walk from one eatery to another in Kilkee. That's not possible in the above places.If you want to expand Kilkee you can include the (award winning)Long Dock in Carrigaholt, Keane's in Lisdeen, the three in Doonbeg and of course Trump International.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What are the 8 restaurants? I know of only one true restaurant in Kilkee and that is Murphy Blacks, which is excellent. I'm not counting bar food in several other places.

EDIT: I forgot about The Strand, so that's two

There's both a Chinese and an Indian sit down restaurant in Kilkee. And that's off the top of my head not being a regular visitor. So more than two.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Naughtons fits the restaurant category also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Palmach wrote: »
    *sound of goal posts being shifted* Yes if you want to sweep from Lahinch the whole way up to Ennistimon there are for sure more restaurants than Kilkee. I was referring to the one geographical town/townland. As I said you can walk from one eatery to another in Kilkee. That's not possible in the above places.If you want to expand Kilkee you can include the (award winning)Long Dock in Carrigaholt, Keane's in Lisdeen, the three in Doonbeg and of course Trump International.

In fairness anywhere I named is within 5 minutes drive from lahinch, it's hardly shifting the goalposts. Lahinch on it's own has a lot more and higher quality. I think the visitor numbers speak for themselves, with the Ennistimon bypass started should also make it less of a pain to get out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Naughtons fits the restaurant category also.

Naughtons is a Bar which does good bar food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Naughtons is a Bar which does good bar food.

Naughtons is 100% restaurant. It opens at 5.30pm and every table is set for food and usually fully reserved.

So now you have 5 restaurants in Kilkee so far. Indian, Chinese, Naughtons, Murphy Blacks and The Strand.

The Pier Restaurant is attached to Hickies also, separate to bar food menu in the bar.

The Stella Hotel have a full restaurant service too.

That's 7.

I'd say Kilkee and Lahinch are on a par in terms of numbers of restaurants, cafes, chippers, bar food options etc.

In fairness anywhere I named is within 5 minutes drive from lahinch, it's hardly shifting the goalposts. Lahinch on it's own has a lot more and higher quality. I think the visitor numbers speak for themselves, with the Ennistimon bypass started should also make it less of a pain to get out of.

You may as well include Doonbeg, Carrigaholt and Kilbaha in the Kilkee catchment area for comparison purposes.

Drive. I said walk. The numbers do speak for themselves. There are more tourist beds, hotels BandBs, guest houses and holiday homes etc in Kilkee than any other spot in Munster bar Killarney. They are Failte Ireland figures. And Lahinch does not have the quality. You clearly don't know Lahinch. If you do you'll name them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

easypazz wrote: »
    Naughtons is 100% restaurant. It opens at 5.30pm and every table is set for food and usually fully reserved.

I will never again go to Naughton's after my last visit. I had avoided the place after a bad experience a few years ago and I foolishly allowed myself to think the bad times were over.

I was talking about the restaurant review numbers.

Lahinch

Kilkee

Just looking at your tripadvisor link and there are 14 places to eat in Lahinich and 19 in Kilkee.

That pretty much debunks the notion that Lahinch has a better food offering than Kilkee.

Personally I'd say they both have a similar offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just looking at your tripadvisor link and there are 14 places to eat in Lahinich and 19 in Kilkee.

That pretty much debunks the notion that Lahinch has a better food offering than Kilkee.

Personally I'd say they both have a similar offering.

I'd say lahinch has better quality, and dare I say it a serious offering if your prepared to go 5 minutes in any direction.
    I'll take the gang to Kilkee for a day and give it a fair go. To be honest the last time think it was maybe 6 weeks ago there was a warning not to go, think lahinch got a similar one a week later or so.
    Someone should swing for any of the beaches being closed during the summer it's not acceptable.

I'd say lahinch has better quality, and dare I say it a serious offering if your prepared to go 5 minutes in any direction.
    I'll take the gang to Kilkee for a day and give it a fair go. To be honest the last time think it was maybe 6 weeks ago there was a warning not to go, think lahinch got a similar one a week later or so.
    Someone should swing for any of the beaches being closed during the summer it's not acceptable.

Drive 10 minutes from Kilkee and you have Morrisseys in Doonbeg and the Long Dock in Carrigaholt, both highly rated.

One thing people overlook is that Kilkee is much more spread out than Lahinch.

The distance between the 2 furthest pubs in Kilkee is twice the distance between the 2 furthest pubs in Lahinch. If you squeezed all the businesses in Kilkee into half the space it would feel much busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭jackboy

Well I'll make it easy for you. There are 8 sit down restaurants in Kilkee open during the season and they are all within walking distance of each other. That's before the cafes are thrown in.. There is no other town west of Ennis with that amount. As to the quality check them on trip advisor and see Georgina Campbell's list to give yourself an idea. You really should inform yourself before posting nonsense.
    Yes, there is a lot of places to eat in Kilkee but the standard of most is poor. Lots of other towns north of Kilkee have a far better selection (in terms of quality).

The long dock and Morriseys are excellent but neither are in Kilkee.

Lahince has lots of places to eat within walking distance: Kenny's, Flanagans, Joe's, Randaddys. Ennistymon the same: Little fox, Byrnes and lots of really nice cafes. The same is true further north. Fair enough some towns are smaller, but can still blow Kilkee out of the water quality wise.

I'm actually surprised with your opinion, I have never heard anyone claim that Kilkee could compete with other west clare towns for food quality.

jackboy wrote: »
    Yes, there is a lot of places to eat in Kilkee but the standard of most is poor. Lots of other towns north of Kilkee have a far better selection (in terms of quality).

The long dock and Morriseys are excellent but neither are in Kilkee.

Lahince has lots of places to eat within walking distance: Kenny's, Flanagans, Joe's, Randaddys. Ennistymon the same: Little fox, Byrnes and lots of really nice cafes. The same is true further north. Fair enough some towns are smaller, but can still blow Kilkee out of the water quality wise.

I'm actually surprised with your opinion, I have never heard anyone claim that Kilkee could compete with other west clare towns for food quality.

You are starting to sound a bit silly now.

Murphy Blacks, Naughtons, The Strand and The Pier restaurant are all highly rated and comparable to what the Long Dock, Morrisseys or anything Lahinch has to offer.

As regards Cafes in Kilkee the Pantry, The diamond rocks and The Irish House are all high quality.

You are talking absolute ****e about other little towns blowing Kilkee out of the water quality wise.

The only one of them i'd rate is Murphy Blacks and even then their windows were filthy the last time I dined there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

The only one of them i'd rate is Murphy Blacks and even then their windows were filthy the last time I dined there.

Did they insist on you eating the windows?

You are starting to sound a bit silly now.

Murphy Blacks, Naughtons, The Strand and The Pier restaurant are all highly rated and comparable to what the Long Dock, Morrisseys or anything Lahinch has to offer.

As regards Cafes in Kilkee the Pantry, The diamond rocks and The Irish House are all high quality.

You are talking absolute ****e about other little towns blowing Kilkee out of the water quality wise.

The diamond rocks is very nice. The pantry gets the majority of its cakes delivered from Ennis, it’s ok I guess. The long dock and Morrisseys are better quality than the restaurants that you mentioned. The other towns in west Clare all have restaurants better than the kilkee ones.

This is all opinion of course. If you prefer kilkee that’s fair enough.

The diamond rocks is very nice. The pantry gets the majority of its cakes delivered from Ennis, it’s ok I guess. The long dock and Morrisseys are better quality than the restaurants that you mentioned. The other towns in west Clare all have restaurants better than the kilkee ones.

This is all opinion of course. If you prefer kilkee that’s fair enough.

So now your justification for running down The Pantry is some of their produce is brought in from Ennis?

I never said I prefer Kilkee. I pointed out that Kilkee's offering is a par with other west Clare town, which was in response to your ridiculous claim that smaller towns in west Clare can blow Kilkee out of the water in terms of their food offering.

They simply can't, Kilkee has as good a food offering as anybody else.

• Advertisement

They simply can't, Kilkee has as good a food offering as anybody else.

As I said, all this is personal opinion. In my opinion kilkee has a poor offering. Most people I have talked to about this agree.

As I said, all this is personal opinion. In my opinion kilkee has a poor offering. Most people I have talked to about this agree.

If you look on the top 20 restaurants in Clare on tripadvisor Kilkee and Lahinch have 3 each.

But you know what, you and the people you talked to are probably right, all the people on tripadvisor must have faulty taste buds

I bet if they knew a few of the cakes The Pantry came from Ennis they would be disgusted.

I bet if they knew a few of the cakes The Pantry came from Ennis they would be disgusted.

Ah now, I wouldn’t go that far.

Did they insist on you eating the windows?

So you think it is good enough to sit having a meal looking at dirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

So you think it is good enough to sit having a meal looking at dirt?

To be honest, I'd be looking at my companions or my food.

If you look on the top 20 restaurants in Clare on tripadvisor Kilkee and Lahinch have 3 each.

But you know what, you and the people you talked to are probably right, all the people on tripadvisor must have faulty taste buds

Pantry cakes are cooked on the premises. I know someone who worked there #porkiepies

To be honest, I'd be looking at my companions or my food.

You wouldn't look out though the window? At all? At all? You are being far from honest. A good restaurant is about ambiance as well as companions and food. Having dirty windows mars what is otherwise a reasonably good restaurant.

So the pantry fails because it gets some cakes from ennis.

Murphy blacks fails because the window was dirty.

Is the dirty window an ongoing problem?

Pantry cakes are cooked on the premises. I know someone who worked there #porkiepies
    One cake is cooked on premises, carrot cake I think. All others are delivered from Ennis.

• Advertisement

One cake is cooked on premises, carrot cake I think. All others are delivered from Ennis.

Supposing what you are saying is correct, what difference does it actually make to the quality of the produce, which was the original thrust of your grievance?

Advertisement