Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Did you try the Irish House?

I think there is a sign up saying closed for family bereavement

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Did you try the Irish House?

The Irish House is now a coffee shop. I don't think there are any cigarettes sold there any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The Irish House is now a coffee shop. I don't think there are any cigarettes sold there any more.

That’s right. I didn’t get a chance to see the interior so wasn’t sure whether or not the shop downstairs was still there

Palmach wrote: »

God that town is sad!

We can agree on something anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm not against slating a town, village or area, so I'm not going to slate Kilkee.

I holidayed there for a week and won't be returning.

That's all.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm not against slating a town, village or area, so I'm not going to slate Kilkee.

That's all.

Kilkee is now a village, not a town.

That's why I said I'm not in to slating a town, village or area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

To be classified as a town the must be more than 1,000 inhabitants. Kilkee has fallen below that in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

To be classified as a town the must be more than 1,000 inhabitants. Kilkee has fallen below that in recent years.

Got a source for that? The definition, not the population.

The Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) uses the following definitions:

Town – population of 4,500 or more
    Small Town – population between 4,500 and 10,000
    Medium Town – population between 10,000 and 18,000
    Large Town – population between 18,000 and 75,000
    Intermediate settlement – population between 2,250 and 4,500
    Village – population between 1,000 and 2,250
    Small villages or hamlets – population of less than 1,000

The Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) uses the following definitions:

Town – population of 4,500 or more
    Small Town – population between 4,500 and 10,000
    Medium Town – population between 10,000 and 18,000
    Large Town – population between 18,000 and 75,000
    Intermediate settlement – population between 2,250 and 4,500
    Village – population between 1,000 and 2,250
    Small villages or hamlets – population of less than 1,000

Last time I checked Kilkee isn't in Northern Ireland. Have you an actual source from this county defining that a settlement has to have a population of 1000 to be called a town?

Last time I checked Kilkee isn't in Northern Ireland. Have you an actual source from this county defining that a settlement has to have a population of 1000 to be called a town?

The same is used here. We use the same language as Northern Ireland. Kilkee has no right to be called a town just because it is located south of the border.

The same is used here. We use the same language as Northern Ireland. Kilkee has no right to be called a town just because it is located south of the border.

So the answer is no then. Just another part of your tirade against Kilkee.

We use the same language as Canada, America, New Zealand and Australia too, but I'm pretty sure all don't use the same standards and definitions as them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Christ you have it bad. You should consider seeing a counciler.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Palmach

So the answer is no then. Just another part of your tirade against Kilkee.

We use the same language as Canada, America, New Zealand and Australia too, but I'm pretty sure all don't use the same standards and definitions as them either.

For the record there is no definition of town or village in the ROI. The CSO class any area of 1000+ as a stand alone entity, an Urban area, for the purposes of planning and resources. So Kilrush would be an Urban area, Kilkee not. So when it comes to the HSE basing a GP it would be a priority to have one in the 1000+ area but ares under that are treated the same as a rural. So if the doctor was in Kilkee or 10 kilometers outside Kilkee in Doonbeg would be make no odds. Kilkee gets away with this by pointing to the huge influx of visitors to the town in Summer so it tends to get "stuff", for want of a better word, that similar sized settlements won't get. Bear in mind this is a purely a statistical measure used by the CSO and has nothing to do with a place being town, village or metropolis. For the record nearly everyone refers to Kilkee as a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

I hope some of you here who love kicking Kilkee will visit for some music this weekend as the Che do Bheatha festival kicks off tonight (Friday). More venues than any previous year, and most of it is free.

g

That's all.

The people in Murphy Blacks were a saving grace. Very pleasant and good food.

I should have said this in my earlier post.

The people in Murphy Blacks were a saving grace. Very pleasant and good food.

I can vouch for that. A lot of the other establishments in the area would do well to take a few leaves out of their book. Okay, maybe a little bit on the pricey side, but anytime I have eaten there, both the food and the quality of service was consistently second to none.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure! Do you have a source for this? The population is going like the furniture of the Atlantic Hotel, falling off the cliff. No playing with statistics can disguise that.

Pretty sure! Do you have a source for this? The population is going like the furniture of the Atlantic Hotel, falling off the cliff. No playing with statistics can disguise that.

Hahaha I like it!!! What a quote. I remember that eyesore. Me and two other lads got a bus to Kilkee around 1995 and we stayed there.

Hahaha I like it!!! What a quote. I remember that eyesore. Me and two other lads got a bus to Kilkee around 1995 and we stayed there.

That must have been some stay seeing as it had been shut 20 years at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

That must have been some stay seeing as it had been shut 20 years at that stage.

No it wasn’t.

No it wasn’t.

Have a read of this https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwimn-eO2M_dAhWoKMAKHV84Cs8QFjACegQICBAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deirdremulrooney.com%2Fold_site%2Flmw%2Ftheatlantichotel.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0-U2qKtmVAuwOeb5BOC8TG

Opened in 1964. Closed in 1973. A Polish guy bought it in 1978 but never got more than the disco opened. I spent every summer of the 1980s down there and never saw it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

And we use the same language as USA. Therefore Clare is a state. Yeah?

It was shut. We still stayed there

feargale wrote: »

Ask Donald Trump

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

feargale wrote: »

Its some state all right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Doesnt matter if its a town, village or hamlet. Still needs a lot of work to make it an attractive place to spend any length of time imo. In west clare at least twice a month for work, and kilkee has very little to make it attractive IMO. Its just not great really. Id take lahinch any day of the week tbh. Its smaller but has some nice places to eat, and a nice relaxed vibe which i dont get in kilkee. Even ennistymon has a few nice spots to eat and relax. Kilkee just doesnt have that at all imo. Its all a bit rough around the edges, and not in a good way. Have no idea what it was like 20 years ago so cant compare.

Each to their own but not for me really.

Advertisement